• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Astrobot's 'tooth extraction' boss battle really makes me want to avoid that game, because I just can't deal with creepy dental torture nomatter now cartoony.

Hat in Time's creator decided to keep Jontron, hate speech buffoon, in the game, and there are a number of complaints levied at the developer too.

Which games have you effectively blacklisted because of one small detail?

Are there any games you have played in the past that you regret. I regret buying Shadow Complex because it was written by Orson Scott Card ('arrest LGBT folk'). That is probably why I stopped playing.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
The 'hacker vision' in Watch Dogs 2 absolutely destroys my eyes so as much as I wanted the game I just couldn't do that to myself

JTyrmi

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
The ghost in Spelunky. I really enjoyed the tutorial mode and once I got past it, I was ready for a great treasure hunt... until I saw the ghost for the first time, read on it how it's always there if you spend too much time on a level, and immediately uninstalled the game. Such a shame as it felt like a nice treasure hunter game kind of like Steamworld Dig.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
The post apocalyptic setting in games like Mad Max and Rage 2 does absolutely nothing for me, so I'm immediately dismissive of games like that. So.. bland and unexciting.

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
Skyward Sword's Silent Realms

Majora's Mask's time system and time limits in general

Permadeath

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Being forced to grind for materials/crafting. That's probably the one thing that keeps me away from Monster Hunter: World even though it looks like an exceptionally good game.

PurgeVIII

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
United States
I refuse to play Ace Attorney or Danganronpa or any game like those because I usually figure out the mystery pretty quickly but I get bored going through the forced and controlled investigation and trial moments. If I could somehow show how I know the truth of the trial without having to present evidence and follow the trial in the clearly mapped out way that they are, I would enjoy them more.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to play Ace Attorney or Danganronpa or any game like those because I usually figure out the mystery pretty quickly but I get bored going through the forced and controlled investigation and trial moments. If I could somehow show how I know the truth of the trial without having to present evidence and follow the trial in the clearly mapped out way that they are, I would enjoy them more.

Recognizing tropes and cliches would not be admissible in a trial as evidence, lol.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hat in Time's creator decided to keep Jontron, hate speech buffoon, in the game, and there are a number of complaints levied at the developer too.

Same.

crash bandicoot and spyro trilogy, because of lack of subtitles.

Also this, I am straight up not buying any game that lack subtitles and if any games I buy end up not having any I am just returning them as they are not fit for purpose.

It's 2018 and we're soon going into 2019, there is zero excuse for not including accessibly options for the disabled.

I still have never played the first Pikmin because of the time limit.

Play the Wii version, it allows you to redo a day thus removing a layer of stress.

Honestly speaking you get 30 days but you only need 25 parts to finish the game and you can easily get 3-4 parts in one day if you get the radar early.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
Older Assassin's Creed games had that "eagle eye" thing that would quickly shift the display to b/w in a way that made me nauseous. It kept me from going further in Unity and from buying any of the others until Origins.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
"massive open world game" is an insta-never-buy-or-play from me.

good bye Witcher, BotW and GTAV and all similars,

zero insterest in playing 100 hours to complete a small percent of what the game has to offer.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Micro transactions in single player games that affect gameplay. I immediately know the game is designed to be tedious.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also this, I am straight up not buying any game that lack subtitles and if any games I buy end up not having any I am just returning them as they are not fit for purpose.

It's 2018 and we're soon going into 2019, there is zero excuse for not including accessibly options for the disabled.
true. to assume that everyone a, has perfect hearing and b, is fully capable of listening to and comprehending english is completely fucked up.

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
I don't play games with random encounters anymore. It's just such an unpleasant mechanic and there are better ways to spend my time.

OP
OP
dock

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
The ghost in Spelunky. I really enjoyed the tutorial mode and once I got past it, I was ready for a great treasure hunt... until I saw the ghost for the first time, read on it how it's always there if you spend too much time on a level, and immediately uninstalled the game. Such a shame as it felt like a nice treasure hunter game kind of like Steamworld Dig.
I don't mind being chased in an action game like Spelunky, but I hated the ghost for a little while.

There is a tile puzzle game called Fidel Dungeon Rescue that implements Spelunky's ghost. I like to play puzzles idly, so this killed it for me. The developer recently removed the timer ghost.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Hat in time, same reason.

Sadly, the timer in Majora made me stop the game. I know about the "prolong time" song, but I like to take my time exploring, and feeling rushed just kills it for me. It removed all the fun. Which is a shame, since it's supposedly the best Zelda game, according to many.

Microtransactions and oversexualized designs are my usual "nope" reasons.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Anything with heavy progression gating is a huge turn off for me and is usually enough to make me not play a game.

Eg. A game with 3 medals per level for completing with 'gold', 'silver' and 'bronze' completion times and having to get X amount of "medals" in previous levels to unlock the next level.

Literally just busy work blocking me from playing the game I want to play. No thanks.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Right now, roguelike elements (namely resetting progression and randomly generated levels/pickups per run). I've played Shiren the Wanderer, Dungeons of Dredmor, Necrodancer, pretty much all of the recent ones. The last one I played was Enter the Gungeon.

That's a good game. It feels good to play, it's funny, and there's loads of content. But I don't want to bang my head against bad runs in pursuit of that one good run anymore. Maybe I'll get the itch again someday, but for now I'm good. The closest thing I'll play to a roguelike is a diablo-style looter, and I freely admit that it's because they're more casual and offer a more straightforward, content-based progression system as opposed to a skill- and rng-based one.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Games with constant time limits - that shit's for arcades. Timed sections in games are fine, but perpetual race against the clock never clicked with me. Hell the only reason I played Majora's mask is due to the fact that time can eventually be manipulated.

Single player games with forced online components (Mass Effect 3).

Randomly generated levels are an automatic no-buy

Agreed.

OP
OP
dock

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I avoid games completely if they have any sort of realistic depiction of hunting and force the player to participate in.
I even won't play Monster Hunter because of the hunting. I want to play Monster Photographer and Carer.

I played Breath of the Wild for 200 hours and I refused to attack any of the wild wolves and other animals. There was at least one mission I couldn't do because the only way to beat it was to kill one of the wolves.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I really, really, really hate time limits in any fashion. Be it a literal clock ticking down, AI partner shoots everything for you if you're not fast enough, AI partner complains constantly if you're not fast enough, shitty end-of-level grade...that kind of thing.

I don't avoid games per say because of it of course but it sucks big time.

Forced AI partner though is a huge no-no for me and I've dropped entire games because of it. This has never made a game more fun for me.

Randomly generated levels are an automatic no-buy

This. I've tried to give this a chance several times and it's never not been lame compared to hand-crafted level design in my experience. Hard skip for me every time by now which seems to mean like 50% of all cool looking Indie games at this point.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I almost skipped BotW because of the voice acting, but they updated the game so you could change the language right before I got my Switch, so I played it in japanese (still didn't like that there was VA at all, but that's another story). Also because of the weapon durability and survival gameplay in general.

Edit: "open world" is already enough for me to skip a game now that I've tried the genre and didn't like it.

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Halo 5. A game I love but did not play for years after it came out. Why?

No split screen. Which for me, meant NO BUY.

Splitscreen is Halo. Halo is Splitscreen. Removing Splitscreen from Halo, that's like releasing a Smash game with no local mp. 'But the online is so robust!' I don't give a fuck. Doesn't mean a thing when I want to play with family and friends. Halo used to be a communal thing. Halo 5 made it so that one can play and everyone else has to watch. Here's to hoping that word is stuck to, and Infinite really does have splitscreen day one.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Yeah I am done buying these "Huge Open World" games with cookie cutter content. Almost always feel that I waste my time playing them.

While I don't boycott them, mtx are a huge turn off for me. And if they go above the board I try my best to avoid them.