• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Select your fighter:

• I Played with Super Power! (Super Nintendo/Gameboy)

Votes: 196 47.7%
  • Genesis did what the others didn't! (Genesis/Mega Drive/Game Gear/Pico)

Votes: 126 30.7%
  • My Speed was TURBO! (Turbo Grafix 16/Turbo Express)

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • I felt the 100MEGA SHOCK! (NEOGEO AES)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • I had another console...

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Consoles? Those things? (Windows/Macintosh/Amiga/etc...)

Votes: 47 11.4%
  • Wasn't born yet/Didn't have the money.

Votes: 35 8.5%

• Total voters

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
I dreamt of getting a SNES to play Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Contra III, Castlevania IV, Mega Man X, Donkey Kong Country, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Legend of Mana, Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat II, Harvest Moon, Terranigma, Super R-Type...

Man, the SNES was too awesome but I only had a DOS computer with a bunch of pirated games. Fun times.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Neogeo. Was my main console. Nothing came close.
I enjoyed snes a lot too, but for some reason i was a fan of Sega (I loved Revenge of Shinobi) so Megadrivev was my preferred console amongst those two ( it also had a processor like the one on neogeo )

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
An SNES and a couple good rental stores was all I needed.

I respected Genesis and wish I had more opportunity to play back then. To this day I have not laid hands upon a Neo Geo AES, so my Neo Geo Mini will have to do.

Nov 8, 2017
Amiga 500 and it's not even close.

I also had a Mega Drive and a SNES, but only had about a dozen games on each. The most compelling factor of the Amiga 500 was being able to build my own levels and games, which wasn't possible on the consoles. I probably spent as much time tinkering with editors like 3D Construction Kit, Emerald Mines, Spindizzy Worlds, etc. as I did actually playing games.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have a console from that gen other than a gameboy, still had my Master System and played a tonne of Amiga, Mega Drive and SNES at friends.

Of what I played probably the Mega Drive was my favourite at the time.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Sega person here. Though I did get a SNES along with a Neo Geo which was incredible but a single game cost me a whole paycheck at the time lol

CoinReturn

Nov 7, 2017
I was a spoiled little shit so I owned all the consoles.
Definitely preferred SNES overall, though.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think that's around the time my dad left my mom and didn't pay any child support. I had a Nintendo Entertainment System, which died on Christmas day and was replaced with a Sega Master System. We were then too poor to buy a video game system, so I didn't have anything until my more wealthy step-dad came into the picture and got me a Playstation, which was around the beginning of college age for me. The N64 was the first system I bought with my own money.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I was playing DOS games at that point. I was so envious of the consoles at the time.

That said I still have a soft spot for Commander Keen and Jazz Jackrabbit.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to reiterate what I said in an earlier thread that nobody I ever knew IRL ever argued over which system was better. The whole schoolyard console war stuff just struck me as some myth. People just liked games and more consoles/computers meant more games for everyone. It was only with the internet that I started seeing people actually taking that stuff seriously.

OP
OP
Zan

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking back, I should've allowed for multiple votes. Ah well.

Nov 23, 2017
I started with NES but when the next gen came, I went with SNES and Genesis along with the Game Boy and Game Gear. I had to have Mario and FF games and I had to have Sonic and Phantasy Star games. Being a kid in this department rocked.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Started with an Amiga 500, my first videogame machine ever, later on I also received a Game Boy and a Super Nintendo.

I also have fond memories playing Sega Mega Drive games with some friends but my elementary classroom was pretty much Nintendo oriented and that put me in that ecosystem at the time, mostly because lending games between kids was very common.

Truly the golden age of my childhood, so many good memories.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I was a Genesis kid, and that was also around the time when I was getting into computer games, too.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
We first had a Genesis then we got a Super Nintendo after we lost the Genesis when our basement flooded.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I received a NES in 1989, and my parents were ready to buy me a new console so soon, so I didn't own a SNES or Genesis at the time.

Most of my non-NES gaming during that time was the 486 Packard Bell we had purchased in (IIRC) 1993.

As far as preferences go, I'd probably say I leaned towards Nintendo but honestly I thought both the SNES and Genesis were awesome at the time.

I was aware of the other choices but had no real experience with them.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I leaned Nintendo at the time but was always a multi console owner who has owned most of them up to the middle of last gen when buying all digital I picked the ecosystem I liked best and went with it.

But I have just as many fond memories of multiplayer Toejam and Earl as I do Mariokart.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've never been on any side of a console war. I've always been open to multiple platforms. for this generation I had SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, and Gamegear. I wanted a Neo Geo but that was way out of my price range and was curious about the T-16 but never enough to buy it. I quite enjoy both of those systems now though.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
SNES. Very few of the Genesis games appealed to me, so I had little interest in it.

I did eventually get a Genesis near the end of its production when they were super cheap, though it got little use and I don't have many games for it.

Oct 26, 2017
the rooftops.
Ah, yes. The Gen 4 System Wars. Such a long time ago... I remember it vividly; having both a Super Nintendo and Genesis in my room. I had to sleep with both eyes open ;(

I used to play the Nintendo more often but still loved the sega.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I owned both an SNES and Genesis.

However I got a Genesis first, it was my 2nd console after the NES.

I actually did not get a SNES at launch with the Super Mario World bundle and actually mine was the Killer Instinct Set.

maxresdefault.jpg

Because of that bundle It's odd that KI was my first SNES game, Back in 1995 my SNES library actually was VERY small. For every 1 SNES cart I owned 3 Genesis games. In fact I'd say my overall library was 10 SNES carts (yes THAT small) to about 30 Genesis games.

In fact I can recall ALL 11 SNES carts I owned from memory.

Killer Instinct, Super Mario Allstars + World, Mega Man X, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III (6), Super Metroid, Zelda - Link to the Past, Lufia II, and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

In fact a lot of SNES games like Super Castlevania IV and Contra III until the Virtual Console and emulation.

With that said because I owned a Genesis first, I guess It gets my vote despite I had the fortunate luxury of owning both at the time.

crimnos

Oct 27, 2017
I mowed a lot of lawns and carried out side hustles to get my Genesis, then got the SNES for Christmas so I never really felt the pull of either as my "lone" console. Fantastic stuff on both. Affording games for both was another matter, however...

Jan 11, 2018
Genesis/Game Gear, and then PS1 was what I owned, though my best friend had a Super Nintendo/Game Boy and then Nintendo 64. We would argue silly kid console war nonsense, but in reality we both enjoyed playing all systems and just really loved video games in general. I have great memories of staying up until 4am playing Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country 2 and Super Mario 64 at his house.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I had both a Genesis and a Super Nintendo. I'd probably say my heart is with Sega but my mind is with Nintendo.

Today if I'm playing stuff from that gen I get most excited about Genesis/MegaDrive.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
How can there possibly be a thread about system wars in the 90s that does not mention Arcades???

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I had a super NES but I was already in my early 20s by that point so console warring seemed really stupid.
This. After ignoring video games during my high school and college years, I bought an SNES at launch and then within a year I bought a Genesis too. From then on I bought all of the major consoles, and some of the lesser ones.

War Eagle

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I had a Sega Genesis from '93 until '95, when I traded it and all my games to my cousin for his SNES and all of his games.

Not sure what to vote for, but I went with Genesis since I had it first. I wanted a SNES over Sega but we couldn't afford it and my dad bought a Genesis spur of the moment because it was on sale for $89.99 and included Sonic 1.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a snes growing up, super mario world was the first video game i ever played and beat. I used to love when my cousin sara would come over because she would bring her copy of donkey kong country. For my sixth birthday i got my own copy of donkey kong country 2! We had relatives who had the genesis, but it never left the impression on me that the games on my snes did, even the crappy ones like jurassic park or the lion king

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I was a frothing-at-the-mouth 12 year old Nintendo fanboy during that era.

I even wrote a very angry letter to EGM complaining about how much the Genesis sucked. I was livid when Sonic won Game of the Year over SMW.

Then my cousin got a Genesis a bit later and I played Streets of Rage 2 and Phantasy Star II / 4 and I was like, "oh, erhm, could I borrow your Genesis for a week"?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Early 90s it was Amiga and a bit of Master System. Only played Mega Drive towards the end of the decade, along with Windows 98, and a bit of PS1/a tiny bit of Saturn and Gameboy Colour.
I don't remember anyone I know even utter the word Nintendo back then, at least in terms of games. I knew Mario and stuff from the cartoons and films, I did know DkC and one of the Mario world games because of Yoshi, but I never played them, and I only really heard about Nintendo with Pokemon. I think Wario Land was the first Nintendo game I actually played.

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
UK Megadrive all the way. So much cooler to be a Sega kid. As a grown up SNES had so much more quality games.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I only had an NES, that too in late 90s.
It was basically the only thing available to buy in my city apart from a Genesis.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I was pretty much pc games and Gameboy consoles until PS1 and Nintendo 64 then after that I became a Sony mostly kid but also a Microsoft kid until like 2015 where I was all about PC only after some issues with Sony, then in about 2018 I started to slowly drift back into my love for consoles and prefer the Xbox platform right now. Sony still holds a very special place in my heart in terms of Nostalgia but they do so many small things that annoy me that I hate that I love their stuff lol. After the N64 and DS I never got into Nintendo for anything more then Pokemon though Ive tried.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
I had an NES and Game Boy up until I picked up the Dreamcast cheap when it was discontinued, but I loved playing on the SNES at friends' houses.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I worked for Acclaim in the early 90s, so I was given a NES and tons of games, but I still secretly preferred my x86 PC.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Team SEGA, then, now, and forever.

I also had a PC though, and I had access to a NES and SNES at my cousins' houses.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The poll should have allowed for multiple votes. I had no allegiances.
For my group of friends, it went along the lines of: you have a Genesis while I have a SNES. Cool! What games do you have to play? No-one was fighting over hardware.
I was a fan of Sonic despite never having a SEGA console until I was working and able to buy myself a Dreamcast. Super Mario World might still be my favorite game of all time though. I have great memories of playing games with friends on systems I never owned.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Born in 94, so not quite not born yet but also not old enough to have participated. Most of my older cousins were Nintendo people as was my dad so I assume I would have been an SNES diehard had my parents decided not to wait five years into their marriage to have kids (yes, this is something I actually think about sometimes).