• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which shipping company is the worst?

• Purolator

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • FedEx

Votes: 77 29.1%
  • UPS

Votes: 49 18.5%
  • Canada Post

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • USPS

Votes: 33 12.5%
  • DHL

Votes: 58 21.9%
  • Other

Votes: 31 11.7%

• Total voters

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Totally depends where you live/work. Fed Ex is awesome where I work, but total shit where I live. UPS is awesome at my home but total shit where I work.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I have to vote for UPS.

I live in Rapid City, SD and all of our packages get routed through Sioux Falls, which is 400 miles to the east.

Without fail, every time I have a UPS package, it gets delayed in shipping between Sioux Falls and Rapid, after it gets loaded on the truck and is making it's way here.

I-90 in South Dakota is flat as shit.

Neither the USPS or Fedex has had nearly as many issues with delivering my packages, although they haven't been perfect either.

To be fair you live in the middle of f'ing nowhere. I'm jealous, but being in such a remote area has to allow for some adjustment in expectations.

The delay after it gets loaded into a truck is probably them waiting for the other 12 people in your region to have a package as well. ;)

Oct 25, 2017
In my area FedEx is by far the worst. They will claim they delivered the item but haven't. When they do deliver it they don't even bother putting in a safe place and will leave it on the drive way feet from the road. Yup fuck FedEx.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
From my experience the private ones especially UPS. They are terrible for consumer level delivery. I assume they make most of their money doing b2b stuff and we're just fodder to pad margins. Always late, always end of day deliveries and having people wait at home all day to pick up. I love my publicly owned CanadaPost

Oct 29, 2017
i've had the worst luck with UPS. in the last few years, i've had packaged damaged by them about 50% of the time. it's not damaged to the point of being dysfunctional/need to return, but torn packaging,or some cosmetic damage to the product- stuff like that is super super common. i don't know if i'm just unlucky but they've been really bad for me. also a couple times they've said they've tried to deliver when i was home all day and never came, knocked, rang the doorbell or nothing. then shipped it back to the sender.

USPS also lost 3 packages in the last 3 months for me, so they haven't been good either.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
From my experience the private ones especially UPS. They are terrible for consumer level delivery. I assume they make most of their money doing b2b stuff and we're just fodder to pad margins. Always late, always end of day deliveries and having people wait at home all day to pick up. I love my publicly owned CanadaPost

Residential deliveries are scheduled for later in the day as there is a high probability of someone being home.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely USPS for me. If they have a package they don't even deliver it or bring it to the door. They throw a note in my mailbox saying my package was too big to fit. Like, no shit. I always have to go to the post office to pick up my packages through them. Haven't had those issues with FedEx or UPS.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
UPS doesn't know how to deliver to my current apartment. They will say it's delivered and it never is. Customer support is no help at all. They have never successfully delivered a package to this apartment since I've been here. Every package has been lost. God knows what actually ends up happening to the packages, but I doubt they ever make it into the building. Makes ordering stuff online super stressful.

Oct 25, 2017
Its UPS.

I've used every single carrier for my businesses over the years.

Its UPS without hesitation.

Lord knows how they still exist.

Keep in mind I'm in Canada, it seems FedEx is weird in the states whereas they're the king dons of stellar happy consistent service up here (and everywhere else).

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
UPS honks. UPS is mostly fine. FedEx slam dunks your shit on the concrete. Then they stick their tongue out like MJ and hang time on your fence like a basketball rim.

I did have one Amazon drivers cover up my computer parts from the rain when they left it at my front door. But amazon drivers can be literally anyone so it is like playing Russian roulette.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
FedEx but only because I'm like the last person they deliver to. Whenever I get something from fedex it always gets home at 8-9pm.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon from my experience. Delivering to the wrong house all the time and even hitting my bro-in-law's car and leaving not knowing they hit it

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
To be fair you live in the middle of f'ing nowhere. I'm jealous, but being in such a remote area has to allow for some adjustment in expectations.

The delay after it gets loaded into a truck is probably them waiting for the other 12 people in your region to have a package as well. ;)

Both Sioux Falls and Rapid are pretty big towns in the area, and Rapid has a military base (which does inflate the numbers for the Rapid City area)

Sure, there's nothing on the highway in-between, but the fact that this only happens with UPS and not USPS or Fedex (which both route through Sioux Falls as well) falls squarely on UPS.

There's a major interstate (the longest in the country) that connects the two cities. It's not as remote as you think (that happens when you leave the freeway).

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
IntelCom. Canadians know what I'm talking about. The shittiest of the shittiest delivery services out there.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
As a courier it's always interesting to see what kind of time people think we have or the assumptions they make over how we conduct business. Or even just like, straight up lies over how the deliveries go with times that make no sense. Or in the case of Fedex, do they understand that Ground and Express are entirely different companies and in this case should even be counted as separate entries?

I'd also like to note the amount of times I've been yelled at for ringing doorbells and knocking due to sleeping babies, people accusing me of being a thief just for doing my job (hey this sounds familiar), or have been chased by very large dogs alerted because of those doorbells overrides any desire to ever knock on that door unless I can be sure it's absolutely safe. Packages get up to the door, slightly hidden or stuck in such a way that they won't blow away if it's small.

The actual "worst" delivery service is Amazon because the poor guys get zero training. They're just shoved out into the wild with as much stuff as they can fit and just go go go. There's basically no infrastructure to help them in any way and they just get treated like dirt by everyone. It's really gross. Solidarity with our frontline heroes though right

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever shipping company that managed to pull this off.

unknown.png

5 Days to go 40 Miles. Package was at my door after only one more business day once it landed in the USPS's hands, and it was way more than a mere 40 Miles from Kearny NJ to where I am.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Residential deliveries are scheduled for later in the day as there is a high probability of someone being home.

That makes sense actually. Maybe I'll adjust my expectations. My Canadapost deliveries tend to come with the mail which is usually middle of the day and when im home waiting for that package, it feels like the 'better' service. But you are right about their timing.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever "Lasership" is

UPS is great in my area, my stuff usually comes with a 1-2hr range pretty reliably for years and years now

FedEx usually arrives very late but will still basically come whenever

USPS is "ok"...one lady is great though, very cool...some others though will skip trying to deliver altogether and start giving out pickup slips en masse (they've been caught doing so at my apartment building)

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever the fuck amazon uses in australia.

Don't shop amazon anymore for that and various other reasons.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I only deal with FedEx, UPS, and USPS for both business and private use. I used to deal with DHL some at my old job. They were fine.

UPS is the only one that consistently delivers on time, in the right place, and follows added instructions. I work in a data center connected to a hospital. On one side of the building is a few employee entrances and a large shipping gate with a door next to it. Above the door is a gigantic sign stating SUITE ### over it. That's where deliveries go. We always place detailed instructions to deliver to that door. UPS is the only one that finds the impossible to miss shipping area and delivers to that door. USPS and FedEx will both often ignore the instructions and instead attempt to deliver it to some nurse in the hospital side of the building, give up, and take it back to depot or whatever. Like 75% of the time.

For personal use, I always leave instructions to deliver packages to my property management office - where they hold packages for residents. It's a great big, signed building impossible to miss as it's right at the entrance. Manned 8AM - 6PM every day. UPS is the only shipper that 100% delivers it to the management office and automatically generates an email to me letting me know it's there.

USPS will just drop packages at my doorstep, even in the rain, without knocking. Sometimes they won't even do that, but instead hold it at the post office and leave a barely legible note stuck to my door. It's completely random. And when I go to pick it up at the post office the clerks insist on being rude asking me why I had it delivered there. As if that is even an option. Like I have any choice in the matter.

FedEx does the same as USPS (never once have they delivered to the property management office either). Only they go one step further. I once watched from my window a FedEx delivery truck pull up in front of my flat, look around, then just drive off. About an hour later I checked the shipping status and it said the delivery attempt failed. :/

Last edited:

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
This depends too much on your local courier and branch. Where I live, UPS is actually the best.

Hard to have an opinion on USPS at the moment because over here (NYC) they are backed up and have pretty much no staff.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Anytime I've had something shipped with DHL, which is rare, it takes weeks to get to me.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Hermes. If you want your package with tracking the never works, a 25% chance of ever being delivered, a 10% of any actual delivery coming in without some damage, they're your guys. even better if you like garbage-tier customer service.

Oct 27, 2017
Lasership is the only correct answer.

Amazon always seems to use them when they try to get stuff to me for next day delivery.

The service is so bad that i purposely avoid having things delivered next day and just stick to the standard 2 day prime shipping only to find out that in certain instances, amazon will still ship the item out the day before even though you ordered it 2 days ago and use lasership to fulfill the order.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Keep in mind I'm in Canada, it seems FedEx is weird in the states whereas they're the king dons of stellar happy consistent service up here (and everywhere else).
I'll eco this as well. The only issue I've had with FedEx, and note it's been 1-2 years since I had something through them, is their payment system for handling customs fees. Sure I get the item instantly but a few weeks later I'll get a letter in the mail and the only ways to pay it is to mail back a check or call a number and pay with my credit card and it's only open during limited hours (so i'm usually having to find a 30m window at work to call). There is no reason why I shouldn't be able to do this through a web portal. -.-

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Amazon.

Our house is, for example, 1111 2nd St, but the driveway is actually off 1111 1st St. The city won't let us change it sadly. Sometimes UPS/Fedex can't find the place without directions, but they usually do.

Almost every single Amazon driver can't find it, and every single shipment has an automatically attached note directing them why. I used to get calls from the drivers, now they just either lie or say it couldn't be delivered. Back when they did make deliveries there were three separate instances of them backing up down a muddy or snowy hill and getting stuck in our yard until a boss could come get them.

Currently just ended day 3 of when the batteries for my kids sound machine were supposed to be delivered. We just had them send it to a box at whole foods now because fucking seriously.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
DHL, at least in the US. It seems popular overseas, or at least with overseas companies shipping to the US.

I don't think they've ever delivered to me on the first attempt. 8 PM rolls around and the tracking changes to say they didn't make it to me and maybe it'll show up the next day. When they do arrive the driver always looks like someone from Trevor's crew in GTA5.

FedEx is second. Once they refused to deliver a package of much needed parts for days to a business address. It was a rural area and they were much smaller and less popular then and I think they just wanted to wait until there were more deliveries in the area. First they said they couldn't find the place. Nope, the shipper included precise directions and a map because they'd pulled that shit before. The next day they claimed the door was locked and no one was there. Someone was there, and the door lock was broken at the time so it couldn't physically happen.

RamsesGod43

Sep 28, 2019
Mississauga
For the most part it's UPS for me. Frequently got damaged packages from them, would hit you with insane fees to process customs and sometimes when you ship out of one of their stores they just throw you a pile of paperwork to fill out to clear customs to the US where if I used CP or other it's just a small slip.

For the most part, Canada Post is my favorite but ***k man, what is going on right now with some of the processing centers. My stuff is well past 4 weeks with no change in mississauga but I just had a package clear customs 2 days ago in montreal and showed up just fine yesterday. I just simply can't order anything online atm because I'm not sure if it will ever show up.

Canada Post is the worst. I always get problems with them. I have bias though. I did my Investigations Diploma Practicum for 6 months in their Investigations Department. Employee theft then, 8 years ago, was rampant. So, I know what possibly happens to these packages while other Canadians dont. Straight A student. So, employees can deny all they want. The majority of employees were arrogant and rude.

RamsesGod43

Sep 28, 2019
Mississauga
Canada Post is the worst. I always get problems with them. I have bias though. I did my Investigations Diploma Practicum for 6 months in their Investigations Department. Employee theft then, 8 years ago, was rampant. So, I know what possibly happens to these packages while other Canadians dont. Straight A student. So, employees can deny all they want. The majority of employees were arrogant and rude.

Employees, drivers and regular line workers, I mean. Salaried and management were cool though.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
DHL straight up steals shit in my experience

FEDEX will get a package, give me estimated delivery notice, and then Itll show up whenever they fuckin feel like it

This is in multiple zip codes, counties, wherever

It's one of them for sure

Since "Other" was added, changed my vote since while DHL still remains my #1 headache, OnTrac is definitely up there in terms of worst...

Oh yeah, forgot my worst experience so far with Amazon was the fact that they brazenly claimed to have delivered a package to me but it obviously never made it (despite me being home) while in the Amazon app it was noted that my package was with the courier.

Even after talking with CS, had to get my package refunded because Amazon couldn't locate the package (at all) even when checking in with said courier so I'm pretty sure it was stolen. The kicker? It was 2 phone cases that came out to $10 total... 🤦‍♂️

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Purolator followed by UPS.

Purolator actually refused to deliver something because they were too cheap to hire staff to handle large items(this is back in 2016) and they were pretty much gonna let it sit in their distribution center indefinitely. It was a sofa and I had to go to the depot and pick up the delivery myself in my small ass car(couldn't even close the tailgate).

That doesn't even take into account the fact that when they do come to my house to deliver something, sometimes they'll just have a pre-written note that they leave on my door without ringing the bell(while I'm at home), and then I have to drive 45 mins across town to their depot to pick it up.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
For the most part, Canada Post is my favorite but ***k man, what is going on right now with some of the processing centers. My stuff is well past 4 weeks with no change in mississauga but I just had a package clear customs 2 days ago in montreal and showed up just fine yesterday. I just simply can't order anything online atm because I'm not sure if it will ever show up.

Yeah, shit's been weird. The amount of parcels I've been getting every day has been incredibly volatile. I delivered the most parcels in my life the day after the long weekend but nearly every other day has been very light. IIRC, Mississauga is one of our biggest processing centers so they are probably having a tough time dealing with increased demand while adapting to changes in procedure due to covid. Hopefully things get more consistent soon.

And thanks for being fairly cool about this. Generally when I see discourse about CP online, it is usually people bitching about us such as when we went on strike and when we made recent changes to policy because of covid. Canadian politeness seems to evaporate quickly for some folks the moment their Amazon parcels are delayed.