• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which settings should Assassin’s Creed cover next?

• Mongolian Empire/ Genghis Khan

Votes: 34 5.9%
  • Ancient Rome/ Fall of the Roman Empire

Votes: 67 11.6%
  • Alexander the Great’s Conquests

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • Aztec/Mayan/Incan Empires

Votes: 135 23.3%
  • Zhou or Han Dynasty in China

Votes: 65 11.2%
  • Sengoku Period in Japan

Votes: 224 38.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 41 7.1%

• Total voters

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Aztec Creed sounds very good IMO. We already had a lot of games japanese inspired and Tsushima is still coming.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Japan cuz all the weebs want it. Or China. They had ninjas and katanas too, right?
That way they can finally shut up about it.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Anything but a european setting would be amazing. Personal favourite would be india.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Instead of chasing the GTA style immense square maps, make it a road trip through parts of the silk road would be great.

I understand making assets of one geographical region is easier, but this would be my dream ass creed game. Like an India secton and a Mongolian steppes sextion would be enough.

baAewmVjwozHqqa6JmE4G9o67h9WpFT4Zsfty0HrFkGD2lmdRVZN83P2BwE2mPZ7TCbPeoZpmdI3vG_cwFrs5qBHOPxuZxnJ-RHjA2cJgss73WEjBu1PHCxAwwLtsGT4HNlTcOTckqbf7_mNaWWmsxs9Sa-W7Szi5r-QAJKYpsg.svg

i brainstormed the same thing recently. not the silk road in its entirety but middle east to western/central asia would be not so crazy in terms of offering up the massive maps that are standard now. and would be a good way to segue the series into asia per fan demand

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The same period that the Dynasty Warrior games take place in, in China.
This would be really interesting as a setting, but the story there takes place over 110 years, so it might be tricky to manage that within a single game.

Maybe they could introduce a family mechanic that meant you started on 169 CE and handed over to a child character a generation later (or if you died). Could even be a variation of the Nemesis system where one of your first quests as a character would be to avenge your fallen parent.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
been waiting on feudal japan since literally AC Revelations.
I remember Ubisoft made a poll about which setting should go next after AC3 and despite Feudal Japan winning, they completely ignored it and did... anything else in the poll BUT japan lol.

They also said they wouldn't do it because it would be boring, but they chose the Independence of the 13 colonies for AC3 so it doesn't really get any more boring than that.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There was a comic that tackled the Mongolian Empire, where Altair's son kills Genghis Khan
Assassins-Creed-Reflections-8-600x911.jpg

Sad nordic seems to have happen because of the popularity of new god of war.
AC Vikings was in development before God of War was released.

Bildschirmfoto-2017-03-03-um-10.30.55.png

Late 20s aka Golden Twenties Berlin. Around that time Berlin was one of the world's biggest and most exciting cities and arguably the world's cultural center. At the same time it was in big political turmoil following Germany's defeat of WWI and leading into the events that paved the way for the nazis and ultimately WWII.
That setting would be perfect for AC since the 20s are in general a setting that feels still historic but also modern, that's so iconic and interesting and new to AC. Berlin still untouched by WWII was massive and absolutely beautiful, there were lots of historic figures from science, art and politics (Einstein, Marlene Dietrich, Hindenburg...) that even non-Germans should recognize, and the many political factions should make for great opportunities to insert the Assassins, Templars and other AC players in there.
IIRC they've still insist on not going so far into the future that functioning cars are a thing.

Japan cuz all the weebs want it. Or China. They had ninjas and katanas too, right?
That way they can finally shut up about it.
Inb4, "this isn't like what my incredibly idealized idea of Japan is like!!!"

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
There was a comic that tackled the Mongolian Empire, where Altair's son kills Genghis Khan
Assassins-Creed-Reflections-8-600x911.jpg

AC Vikings was in development before God of War was released.

IIRC they've still insist on not going so far into the future that functioning cars are a thing.

Inb4, "this isn't like what my incredibly idealized idea of Japan is like!!!"
Them not going were vehicles can exist is a pity when there was already carriages in syndicate.

I really would love new york between 1890 and 1930.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Them not going were vehicles can exist is a pity when there was already carriages in syndicate.

I really would love new york between 1890 and 1930.
Super wide streets, carriage jacking, and the zipline were already really pushing it when it came to AC. You fundamentally have to rethink the entire AC sandbox when you add vehicles, specifically how a feature like that can completely undermine one of the most important aspects of the game, that being climbing on everything and generally being on foot and/or on horse back to get where you need to go.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I don't think it will happen but ancient Babylon would be incredible.

Angkor wat and the Khmer era would be awesome.

Medieval or earlier India would be awesome.

Polynesia would be really interesting too.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I voted Mongolian Empire. The reason i love the AC series is because it's doing settings nobody else does. I don't want Japan (and i know everyone wants it) but we are already getting a ton of games in that setting we aren't getting a lot of games set in Egypt, First Century BCE, 19th century New England or America, go back to london, spain or 19th century Taiwan.

There are countless possibilites that are far more interesting than some samurai shit.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
I picked Aztec or Mayan but I really just want something fantastical. Give me a Blood Dragon vision of AC. Give me mythical creatures (I think odyssey does this I haven't played it.). Let me be in ancient Egypt when the aliens show up. I dunno lol

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Super wide streets, carriage jacking, and the zipline were already really pushing it when it came to AC. You fundamentally have to rethink the entire AC sandbox when you add vehicles, specifically how a feature like that can completely undermine one of the most important aspects of the game, that being climbing on everything and generally being on foot and/or on horse back to get where you need to go.
I enjoy climbing but i have to say o actually enjoyed the ziplinig a lot and didnt take off from my normal climbing enjoyment

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Middle-age India with more story choice and ability to influence balance of power between various smaller states could be really interesting.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
UK Setting and since we are past not acknowledging the super natural aspects of history, base it around Arthurian Legend.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I picked Aztec or Mayan but I really just want something fantastical. Give me a Blood Dragon vision of AC. Give me mythical creatures (I think odyssey does this I haven't played it.). Let me be in ancient Egypt when the aliens show up. I dunno lol

like with Far Cry i think about this a lot but it gets to the point why not just make a new franchise. especially with asscreed you have some pretty rigid rules to follow with historicity (and, yeah, i'm well aware how "out there" the recent games got with the DLC)

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
like with Far Cry i think about this a lot but it gets to the point why not just make a new franchise. especially with asscreed you have some pretty rigid rules to follow with historicity (and, yeah, i'm well aware how "out there" the recent games got with the DLC)
That's totally true. I just mostly want AC traversal in different types of games. I think Ubi could split off a group of devs and make pretty damn good/tight linear game with these mechanics.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really want the Russian Revolution personally.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for more Africa and another black protagonist; Origins was very good, but ancient Egypt hardly scratches the surface. Late 19th century Africa during the age of Imperialism is ripe for many different tales from the perspective of the societies who fought to uphold their independence from European colonization. Ethiopia would make sense as the game could feature the Battle of Adwa, and explore the cultural significance of an African nation defeating their white oppressors. My second choice would be India, perhaps starring Arbaaz and Henry if they needed some familiar faces attached to the story.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Gimme 18th century India with all its different competing factions and politics.

Apart from that, I'd love to play one set in China.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Really disappointed the next game wasn't ancient Rome. It was a pity as the rumour was Egypt, Greece Rome.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Some inspiring ideas here! Interbellum Berlin and Mughal India seem cool.

As for me, The Dutch Revolt and 80 years' war would be awesome. A bit biased as I'm Dutch, but it works so well with all the regular AC trappings.

- Giant empire
- A rebellion
- Sea Beggars could be the assassins
- It created the first republic in Europe after the Middle Ages
- Religion tensions (reformation and freedom of religion)
- Cool events like taking a city with troops hidden in a peat-transport

And just imagine being able to walk around Amsterdam or Antwerp during the golden century.

Instead we're getting vikings :(

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Really disappointed the next game wasn't ancient Rome. It was a pity as the rumour was Egypt, Greece Rome.
I think they'll get around to Rome eventually, so with the next AC almost certainly being cross-gen, for me the question would be, which would you prefer Ubisoft to use as the low-end target hardware for imperial Rome? 2013 chipsets with Jaguar CPUs or 2020 Ryzen chipsets?

Cross-gen should be fine for the Vikings game, but if they do Rome I kind of want them to be looking at more powerful minimum spec hardware.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
India, China, Aztec would all be really cool.

If it HAS to be Japan, at least an obscure era would be interesting. Sengoku is way over-represented

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

yeah would've been a great way to round out the "origins" trilogy (or whatever we're calling it)

but i get why they didn't go there. too same-y after ancient Greece, which considering AC is carrying like a quarter of ubi's annual earnings gotta snazz up the 2020 next gen (technically cross gen) title.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
The "ancients" / "ancient aliens" or whatever it's called in the lore. Basically the very advanced period of 10,500 BC and older alluded to.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Instead of chasing the GTA style immense square maps, make it a road trip through parts of the silk road would be great.

I understand making assets of one geographical region is easier, but this would be my dream ass creed game. Like an India secton and a Mongolian steppes sextion would be enough.

baAewmVjwozHqqa6JmE4G9o67h9WpFT4Zsfty0HrFkGD2lmdRVZN83P2BwE2mPZ7TCbPeoZpmdI3vG_cwFrs5qBHOPxuZxnJ-RHjA2cJgss73WEjBu1PHCxAwwLtsGT4HNlTcOTckqbf7_mNaWWmsxs9Sa-W7Szi5r-QAJKYpsg.svg
I can't see them doing this for a single game but it'd be a great concept for a trilogy.