• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I'm really hoping Valkyria Chronicles and Gravity Rush aren't among them but fear they may not be performing well enough for another.
Mass Effect, Infamous and Dead Rising feel like they've had their time and fan interest is waning.

Including Nintendo:

With the Mario & Luigi developer going under I don't think anyone else will pick that up.
There's also all the dual screen specific stuff that won't really have a platform anymore like Etrian Odyssey, maybe some of the more handheld focused titles as well like Wario Ware and Rhythm Heaven.
And a controversial one but I think Pikmin could be the sort of series that vanishes, never to be heard from again.

Last edited:

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot (which makes me excited for new IP!)

- The Last of Us (hot take I know)
- Uncharted
- Killzone
- inFAMOUS
- Ratchet & Clank (hopefully)
- Gravity Rush (sadly)
- Fallout (will come back next next-gen)
- Street Fighter (will come back next next-gen)
- Metal Gear Solid (hopefully dies)
- Silent Hill
- Borderlands
- Sekiro (it just feels like a one off game, but I'm probably wrong)
- Dark Souls
- Front Mission (anyone remember Left Alive? Cuz I paid $60 for that shitshow and I'll never be the same)
- Watch Dogs (seems like Ubisoft is on a course correction)
- Ghost Recon ^
- Far Cry ^
- Valkyria Chronicles
- Mass Effect (maybe next next-gen?)
- Prey
- Dishonored
- Mafia
- Deus Ex
- Titanfall
- Star Ocean (hopefully has a bit of a rest after the last new game)
- Mirror's Edge
- The Order: 1886
Ruthless, but probably largely accurate.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I think the broad answer is every single player franchise that doesn't lend itself well to a GaaS model and isn't super popular will receive a hard look. Ubisoft has transitioned Assassin's Creed in this direction and expect the proliferation of season passes to continue.

Single player offline games are by no means dead, but GTA V is the highest grossing entertainment property ever. All developers of AAA franchises know this and will want a piece of the action.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Strongly disagree and not just because I really like the series.
THQ Nordic loves "reviving" old IPs that they bought and Volitions new IP (Agents of Mayhem) tanked.
They released SR3 for Switch and rereleased/fixed SR2 for PC. This is on par to their playbook on the road to a new release.
Also it was already announced in August 2019 that Volition is working on a new Saints Row game. I doubt it will release before next gen, as we haven't seen anything about it yet, so it will not be abandoned in the jump to next gen.
Saints Row will stay a while.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I really enjoyed Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy so would be a little sad if they never made anymore. Not with Nathan and Sully and Elena - let them have their normal lives - but Chloe is more than capable of having some adventures. Pick up a new sidekick maybe, go exotic places, destroy lost cities, keep the stealth from 4 and LL as I really liked that and I'd buy it.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

- Uncharted
- Killzone
- inFAMOUS
- Gravity Rush (sadly)
- Silent Hill
- Borderlands
- Dark Souls
- Front Mission (anyone remember Left Alive? Cuz I paid $60 for that shitshow and I'll never be the same)
- Ghost Recon ^
- Far Cry ^
- Valkyria Chronicles
- Prey
- Dishonored
- Mafia
- Deus Ex
- Titanfall
- Mirror's Edge
Far Cry?

screenshot_2020-01-244vk7t.png

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I'm really hoping Valkyria Chronicles and Gravity Rush aren't among them but fear they may not be performing well enough for another.
Mass Effect, Infamous and Dead Rising feel like they've had their time and fan interest is waning.

Including Nintendo:

With the Mario & Luigi developer going under I don't think anyone else will pick that up.
There's also all the dual screen specific stuff that won't really have a platform anymore like Etrian Odyssey, maybe some of the more handheld focused titles as well like Wario Ware and Rhythm Heaven.
And a controversial one but I think Pikmin could be the sort of series that vanishes, never to be heard from again.
1 and 2 came out on gamecube (22m) and 3 on Wii U (13.5m).....so I'm glad a new Pikmin game can finally release to a 50m+ install base.

Anyway, if the Pikmin 4 can achieve "3 Houses" numbers...then I'm sure we'll see 5 on switch 2.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted isn't going anywhere. I can't see the Last of Us lasting too much longer, though. You can't keep telling stories about the same two people in a post-apocalyptic setting over and over again before believability starts to strain. Since it's impossible to have a happy ending in a world like that, eventually both of them have to die, and the TLOU world really isn't interesting enough on its own to sustain a complete protagonist shift.

Mass Effect might come back if BioWare can find a way to recover from Anthem's failure, but I think more likely it won't. They'll probably want to try and use Dragon Age 4 to reverse their fate and if that crashes...they're pretty much out of options.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

- Uncharted
- Killzone
- inFAMOUS
- Gravity Rush (sadly)
- Silent Hill
- Borderlands
- Dark Souls
- Ghost Recon ^
- Far Cry ^
- Valkyria Chronicles
- Prey
- Dishonored
- Mafia
- Deus Ex
- Titanfall
- Mirror's Edge
Street Fighter is basically required to keep the Capcom Pro Tour going. And given that the Capcom Cup 2020 winner won't auto-qualify for 2021, they're likely getting ready for Street Fighter VI next year. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced between now & E3.

Feb 8, 2018

- Uncharted
- Killzone
- inFAMOUS
- Gravity Rush (sadly)
- Silent Hill
- Borderlands
- Dark Souls
- Ghost Recon ^
- Far Cry ^
- Valkyria Chronicles
- Prey
- Dishonored
- Mafia
- Deus Ex
- Titanfall
- Mirror's Edge

Some of these IP's are too big to just leave them behind. They'll bank on the brand before they change the name it doesn't have to be actual successors.
Need for Speed. Or maybe they'll just keep trying?

They weren't able to make me interested in one since 2010 and I'd be more interested in a track based Ridge Racer now. Either way i'm fairly sure they have hinted at future entries in the past.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Killzone:

The series always felt like it mostly existed to capitalize on the massive popularity of shooters, Halo in particular. It had its place during the last gen, but coming into this gen Shadowfall felt almost like an obligation. The series doesn't really fit on Sony's current plate. After Guerilla's massive success with Horizon, I don't see either Guerilla or Sony revisiting the IP for a while aside from remasters. Maybe on PS6.