• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite Seinfeld season arc

• Season 4: The pitch about a show about nothing

Votes: 149 30.7%
  • Season 5: George moves in with parents, tries some jobs, then does the opposite

Votes: 224 46.1%
  • Season 6: Elaine works for Mr. Pitts

Votes: 22 4.5%
  • Season 7: The engagement and the pact

Votes: 72 14.8%
  • Season 9: Elaine's on-again off-again relationship with Puddy

Votes: 19 3.9%

• Total voters

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
I'm currently going through the entire series, including SEINCAST, and commentary!!!

This has been a revelation, my friends. What a series...

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
Oooo I missed them 3 letters. I don't even know what season I'm on tbh. Last one I watched was with the guy who sounded like a woman.

You're on 6; you just watched The Pledge Drive.

Ah, OK.

I still say season 9 is amazing.

I honestly think it's a step up from 8, and I love 8. But 9 kind of knew what it was a bit better than 8, imo, after Larry David left.

God I think it's time for a re-watch

Don't you love getting that feeling?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
George's arc for the Opposite is the best thing the show ever did. It lead to so many classic moments when he worked for the Yankees.

Everyone thinking George was dead.

The cotton uniforms.

George trying to make a black friend to prove he isn't racist.

Yankee Stadium bomb threat.

Steinbrenner testifying at the trial in the finale George was a good boy but he was a Communist.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
The Summer of George!!

And as for the season 9 chatter, I love The Frogger episode. Every time I play the game I too think I must preserve my high score.

Oct 28, 2017
I must be in a minority who doesn't enjoy season 4's sitcom stuff and George. He's is just not enjoyable, he's too damn smug and not in a funny way. After the season he becomes so bitter and lazy that it makes him that more hilarious.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
I must be in a minority who doesn't enjoy season 4's sitcom stuff and George. He's is just not enjoyable, he's too damn smug and not in a funny way. After the season he becomes so bitter and lazy that it makes him that more hilarious.

This is exactly how I felt as a teenager watching Seinfeld.

George's really REALLY grown on me. The show is basically about him in the later seasons.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I love the last couple of seasons of Seinfeld. It's full on cartoon at that point, and it's great. I think that the Larry David seasons are better as a whole, but as standalone episodes, the later seasons are full of bangers.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
I love the last couple of seasons of Seinfeld. It's full on cartoon at that point, and it's great. I think that the Larry David seasons are better as a whole, but as standalone episodes, the later seasons are full of bangers.

Right, I just didn't like George's short hairstyle to begin Season 8.
There was definitely a noticeable shift of tone before it hit its stride with Bizarro Jerry.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017

That's what I love about him. He's simultaneously smug and insecure, sure of himself but understanding he's a loser, it's so contradictory but it makes so much sense.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
George's engagement ending with the invitations was the best for me. The callback later when George goes back to the store and doesn't even bother telling them about the poisonous invitations so he doesn't look bad is hilarious.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I just love the whole show, period. All the seasons, even the last one. If I had to nitpick I would criticize the ending, but at the end of day it is what it is.

Oct 28, 2017
As an arc the level of meta commentary in Season 4 is just amazing especially the final which is just exploding with easter eggs and small jokes. So that is my favorite on a story level abd my pick.

But in terms of pure humor George moving in with his parents is definitely the funniest. Anything that leads to more Frank and Estelle is just golden.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
I love the sitcom arc but George moving in with his parents is such gold. There's an episode where he tries a sex move Jerry told him about in his childhood bed (that has Superman sheets on it) and completely fucks it up. There's just so many layers of him being a loser there that it's incredible.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
The sitcom arc is quite funny on re-watch because for a while there it does really seem like it could work out but we know all the while that it will end in disaster. I can imagine watching it contemporaneously thinking this development could radically change the show for future seasons.

But nope, one phone call ends the whole thing, Russell gets lost at sea and everything goes back to normal.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
It's the one ring of arcs. One arc to rule them all!

Hey, if it makes you feel better, it gives me an idea to do a thread involving arcs that lasted longer (Yankees, George-Susan relationship, J Peterman, Pendant Publishing?) so good thing you said something!

I love the sitcom arc but George moving in with his parents is such gold. There's an episode where he tries a sex move Jerry told him about in his childhood bed (that has Superman sheets on it) and completely fucks it up. There's just so many layers of him being a loser there that it's incredible.

That's actually Season 6 and after the moving in arc, but it's good shit, especially that line with Elaine where she talks about Puddy's new move that's like a big budget movie that goes nowhere, and George says something like, "That's my move. He stole my move!" and she says something like, "That explains it."

The sitcom arc is quite funny on re-watch because for a while there it does really seem like it could work out but we know all the while that it will end in disaster. I can imagine watching it contemporaneously thinking this development could radically change the show for future seasons.

But nope, one phone call ends the whole thing, Russell gets lost at sea and everything goes back to normal.

And then that funny little C-story in the season finale.

4f6a0a5f-e3c2-4660-9261-31dfa560478d_text.gif

dafddc43-58e8-46ca-b595-2d5f119a9aec_text.gif

fa2db426-e8bf-451b-bb90-343eddb2bb0d_text.gif

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun; you take a glance and then you look away!

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished all of the seasons of Seinfeld for the first time and easily season 5 where Constanta does nothing. It cracked me up constantly.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
George's season 5 arc, culminating in one of my favorite episodes (The Opposite), is peak Seinfeld for me.

The pitch arc is my second choice. Parts of it drag on a bit, but it's still very funny (and a brilliant sitcom idea).

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
My one point of sadness is any time I've done a poll like this, there's usually a choice that I don't expect to get a ton of votes. Mr. Pitts was that choice, even though I quite enjoyed it. Would anyone who voted for it like to talk about what they enjoy from it over the others? I'm not even trying or wanting to argue about it; I just wanna know since you're out there! =(

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Voted engagement but reading through the thread I'm leaning more towards Season 5 now, opposite is an absolute all timer. George threatinging to 'take it outside and show you what its like' destroys me every time.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, I can't speak for the stuff from fans, but I recall that Jason Alexander (George) found it really difficult to work with her, but everyone else had relatively limited experience working with her for the longest time, and the more the others realized what Jason Alexander was talking about after they worked with her more (presumably around the time when they did the episode called The Pool Guy, during which Susan was hanging out with the others), the more they kind of conspired to kill off her character.

Interesting - is it known if it was just a mismatch in types of character that made it hard to work together for years or was it something specific?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Interesting - is it known if it was just a mismatch in types of character that made it hard to work together for years or was it something specific?
I had to watch the video below to refresh myself on exactly what happened.

Basically, she was hired specifically because she looked like a specific NBC executive or something, and she was only intended to be there for a single line. Not sure whether it was an ad-libbed line or what, but George's "I think the girl liked me" line after the show pitch (for The Pitch episode, not in real life) took place was enough to make them want to make Susan a recurring character.

Regarding the "mismatch" problem, Jason Alexander says he "found [her] comedy instincts to be the opposite of [his own]." He never felt that he could get the right responses from her, so it sounds as though she was just really unpredictable for some unknown reason to him that he could never put his finger on. Amusingly, in the clip below, Jason Alexander is adamant in saying that she's a fine actress and that she wasn't doing anything wrong, so yeah, I don't entirely understand it, myself.

Apparently, Larry David picked up on this early on, and that's why he insisted on keeping Susan on for so long. And it sounds like it was one "big scene" that made the other three realize how hard it was to work with her (with The Pool Guy being my guess), which in turn somehow led to the decision to kill Susan.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The Summer of George no doubt, followed by the engagement arc.

What a great show. I actually loved the ending too.