• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Let me handle Thunder Force. Over the last several years, I've reverse engineered much of both Thunder Force III and Thunder Force IV. I.e. figured out the level structure and object timing code, built a bespoke, higly portable Sonic Mania-like Genesis/Saturn retro engine to handle the graphics format, etc. I know people who could handle the graphics and music in a way that would satisfy purists. My team has experience making games for a variety of clients, including Samsung.

I have actually been building a demo to pitch for this very purpose. It features an original music track Savage Regime gave me long ago in the style of Thunder Force.
I don't mean to gush, but you're constantly my favorite poster here. This sort of stuff is exactly what an enthusiast gaming forum should be about, well done.

As for the thread topic, imma need to think. So many answers for me.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the best of luck to you Krejlooc! All I personally ask is that you get some cool metal artist with a sick cover of Metal Squad.

I assume you'd go with a Sonic Mania approach to graphics.

Music would be the most important part of any Thunder Force revival

My approach to a demo has been to begin with a music track, then build a level around it, timed to the beats of the song. As I said, Savage Regime gave me permission to use a song of his long ago and I've been building around it, it has literally been my starting point:

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many I'd like but the problem is pairing them up with the right people. Especially when it comes to the 3D games as its harder to think of suitable candidates in the indie space. Not that I knew the guys that got Streets of Rage 4 would do such a damn good job beforehand either though.

I'm just glad Sega are open to doing this stuff, they would never be able to support more than a tiny fraction thier vast list of past IPs in house.

Apr 21, 2018
I've been putting one together. Eventually I will pitch it, I have an avenue for such pitches already in place. I've worked on my engine for the last 14 years. Part of my demo of how portable it is, is it running on the Dreamcast, PC, and android phone from the same code base. It can even natively read art and level data straight off of a Sega Genesis cartridge of Thunder Force III and IV.

Just throwing it out there is all, because a big reason Taxman got into segas ear was because of his original public campaign.
Good luck and count on me for the noise.
You're a true Sega Nuts, no doubt you'll deliver a respectful sequel.

Shining WZRD

Jan 16, 2020
A Metroidvania Sonic game by Moon studios

Burning Rangers by Platinum Games

Daytona USA DLC for Forza Motorsport

Shinobi by Team Ninja

I understand all the studios I listed aren't indie but I just felt like sharing some of my dream scenarios

Luminary

Dec 28, 2019
The best ones have mostly been said.

Shining Force either by a studio who gets what made the 90s games great or a remake of SF3 (any of them actually but SF3 has the most scope).

NiGHTS if it's someone who truly 'gets' the game.

I'd like to see an open-sea Ecco. And then there's lots with potential but it kind of depends on the developer. Skies of Arcadia, Burning Rangers, any of the Treasure games...