• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Shining Force 4 would be great. It is one of the rare instances where I would also be fine with a port / remake / remaster / rewoobiwoobi of the third game, because that only released in Japan (for the most part).

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
same for Wonder Boy becoming a french-belgian cartoon...
And the results ot their 3d properties being outsorced have been really mixed so far.

Monster Boy, comparatively, looks pretty close...

Wonder%20Boy%20V%20-%20Monster%20World%20III%20(Japan).png

&

800px-MonsterWorldIV_MD_JP_Box.jpg

to:

Monster-Boy-and-the-Cursed-Kingdom

The Monster World series as a whole has so many different takes due to how much it was licensed that I'd even argue there isn't a consistent art style as a result:

Here is the PC-Engine port of the above Monster World III (Dynastic Hero):

5lCATKq-Dbs2x6w0kOBWeCYdbx1XgxVyrPbFWdqCExtfe2MX_AMaAyaAPwxKE4ePx2oCjCW2urCF1_rcKtH7Bbd2S5duZ2ywjliuBJDkdA

Here is the original Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Super Wonder Boy on Master System):

22434--super-wonder-boy-monster-world.png

European PC:

10961--super-wonder-boy-in-monster-land.png

Here's the PC-Engine Dragon's Trap:

HyEL3HNBPl8wzGE9afnuv4cHWmeUEDeh6pRDPjzw16SNz5VwKbm2CD-qN7wlgWs4W3x-kPOkOt5YTEJyahE6ZFUQJU9NLQGJ1Z-SmfuAgNFTjoTe6rn--BXN

I can get what you're saying about SoR. It was released on the same console with a shared aesthetic across the whole series. I don't think that is a fair criticism for Dragon's Trap, however, considering the series never really had a super consistent art style in the first place.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I want a new Outrun. I'd love to see something done in the style of Outrunners, only with HD assets.

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Is there any studio you guys have in mind?
Honestly, the only studio I could imagine doing a Jet Set Radio game right nowadays would be Insomniac, as I think the traversal in Sunset Overdrive could almost be looked at as an upgrade to what you could do in Jet Set Radio, but the controls allowed for so much more flexibility and actually improved on the mechanics.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This year marks the 30th anniversary of the last Alex Kidd game (not counting cameo and bit parts). It's a good time for a return.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll be the first to mention Comix Zone or Ecco the Dolphin. Both had unique visual styles that I would love to see expanded upon with modern tech and techniques.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Jet Set motherfucking Radio.

Literally only played both games through for the first time over the last two weeks, and I really feel like SEGA's sitting on something golden with that IP (if done right, of course). It's like... Splatoon before Splatoon.

Also for the dev team to make it...? Man, hell if I know. But I won't lie, being able to help out with character designs and general art direction, I'd be 200% down for, lmao.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Boy, comparatively, looks pretty close...

I can get what you're saying about SoR. It was released on the same console with a shared aesthetic across the whole series. I don't think that is a fair criticism for Dragon's Trap, however, considering the series never really had a super consistent art style in the first place.
Yeah, i actually appreciated that the Monster Boy developers really put an effort to make it look like a modern Wonder Boy game would have, even though its anime style it's inconsistently Japanese looking.
That said, the cover arts from the 8 and 16 bit era were often unreliable and inconstant, especially the western ones, but if you actually play the games you can still really tell the '80s comedic chubby manga style that inevitably inspired the series back then, and it surely had nothing to do with what the Dragon's Trap developers went for.
Again, i'm not saying that it's not gorgeous to look at, and that they didn't do an amazing job from an artistic point of view, but it still doesn't feel like a genuine WB title.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Golden Axe is cool and all ... but i rather have a new Spikeout than a new Golden Axe because Golden Axe is too much like Streets of Rage gameplay wise

And with Spikeout they can add some Virtua Fighter and Yakuza characters as cameos since the base gameplay was there.

www.youtube.com

Spikeout Battle Street Minhua x2

Spikeout Battle Street Online Co-op Walkthrough.Hard Mode Gameplay.Platform: XBox LiveP1:White Minhua|Ph_ _ _ _s さん(jp), P2:Blue Minhua|香港 ✈(hk)

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the last Alex Kidd game (not counting cameo and bit parts). It's a good time for a return.

Would be awesome if they did what they started with Shinobi World ... like an Alex Kidd game that travels between SEGA ips

Wouldn't say no to a good Shinobi revival with the right dev on board.

Joe Musashi almost made it as a secret character to Streets of Rage but SEGA declined xD

Last edited:

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
It is? I guess...? I don't really know.

I'd rather have the people that actually made those series have a new take on them, even if they're not inside Sega anymore.
I mean, Street of Rage 4 is a really good game, but that european comic-book artstyle, i don't know... it doesn't feel like a SoR game anymore, same for Wonder Boy becoming a french-belgian cartoon...
And the results ot their 3d properties being outsorced have been really mixed so far.

I mean, you really want a western-made Jet Set Radio game? Thats sounds horrific to me.

What would be next? Larian making a new Skies of Arcadia? A new Virtua Fighter made by Lab Zero?

I don't know, sometimes it just looks like people really don't care for the legacy and the identity of the games, but only for their brands.

I get this. I would also much prefer a JSR made by any number of individuals responsible for the initial 2 games, rather than western devs. There's a certain vibe that isn't always captured correctly when you put an entirely new group of people on an established concept.

But after seeing how Sonic Mania was handled... I dunno, I feel like I can put a little more faith in indie devs for this kind of thing.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
The one I want most is shining force but it's also the most impossible from multiple perspectives.

You can get the right people involved to make something that plays as good as the original but without the original people behind the narration is it really okay to just screw around in the world Camelot made?

So then you'd need to create an original plot /universe far separated from the originals and by then what's the point of it being shining force, may as well be a new ip inspired by SF.

I feel like getting the original Sonic Software Planning/Camelot or Climax people is never going to happen. They're either happy making Mario Tennis for eternity or have left the industry.

And I'm not even getting into what happened with the saturn, the developer messages in the SF3 premium disk and the current state of Shining being intentionally as far removed from Force as possible.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
There's so many awesome IP, it's hard to choose.

If I broke it down by genre, I'd like:

Action/Platformer: ESWAT. Would love to see the Easy Trigger Games handle this one. The recent Huntdown is phenomenal.
Brawler: Golden Axe. Give it to the SOR4 team. Easy.
Racer: Power Drift. ????
RPG: Phantasy Star. Not sure this could go to a small developer TBH.
Adventure: Zillion. Motion Twin (Dead Cells) - in my VEEIIIIINS!
SRPG: Chucklefish seems like the obvious choice to me.
Shmup: Zaxxon. Does CAVE count as an indie? Let's just say they do.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Trying to round up ALL the known Sega licensed deals on current platforms:
  • Arcade Archives Wonder Boy (PS4) Hamster, Nippon Ichi Soft
  • Bayonetta (NSW) Nintendo, PlatinumGames
  • Bayonetta 2 (NSW) Nintendo, PlatinumGames
  • Bayonetta 3 (NSW) Nintendo, PlatinumGames
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (NSW/PC/PS4/XBO) FDG Entertainment, The Game Atelier
  • Panzer Dragoon (NSW/PC/STA) Forever Entertainment, Mega-Pixel Studio
  • Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (TBA) Forever Entertainment, Mega-Pixel Studio
  • Panzer Dragoon Voyage Record (PC) Wildman
  • Resonance of Fate 4k/HD (PC/PS4) tri-Ace
  • Rez Infinite (AND/PC/PS4) Enhance Games, Resonair, Monstairs
  • Shenmue III (PC/PS4) Deep Silver, YS Net, Neilo
  • Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! (PC/PS4) Grounding, Land Ho!
  • Streets of Rage 4 (NSW/PC/PS4/XBO) Dotemu, Lizardcube, Guard Crush Games
  • The House of the Dead (TBA) Forever Entertainment, Mega-Pixel Studio
  • The House of the Dead II (TBA) Forever Entertainment, Mega-Pixel Studio
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (NSW) Nintendo, Atlus R&D1
  • Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (NSW/PC/PS4/XBO)
  • Wonder Boy Returns (PS4) CFK Digital
  • Wonder Boy Returns Remix (NSW/PC) CFK Digital

Did I miss any? Probably mobile stuff?

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I get this. I would also much prefer a JSR made by any number of individuals responsible for the initial 2 games, rather than western devs. There's a certain vibe that isn't always captured correctly when you put an entirely new group of people on an established concept.

But after seeing how Sonic Mania was handled... I dunno, I feel like I can put a little more faith in indie devs for this kind of thing.
I don't know, Sonic Mania's situation was like a best-case scenario for a number of reasons, but let's not forget that it wasn't an entirely original game.
In the end, there are surely a lot of 8/16 bit inspired quality indie teams around nowadays, but not really a lot capable of handle 3d properties based on peak 90s/2000s arcade gameplay expertise.
I don't know, i just hope Sega starts giving these project to the people that originally made the games and that are still around.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know, Sonic Mania's situation was like a best-case scenario for a numbers of reasons, but let's not forget that it wasn't an entirely original game.
In the end, there are surely a lot of 8/16 bit inspired quality indie teams around nowadays, but not really a lot capable of handle 3d properties based on peak 90s/2000s arcade gameplay expertise.
I don't know, i just hope Sega starts giving these project to the people that originally made the games and that are still around.

True, VERY true. I'd ultimately prefer most IPs to be handled by their creators, especially when it comes to the 3D ones. But it's also a matter of whether there's any interest at all in returning to them, yeah?

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know, Sonic Mania's situation was like a best-case scenario for a number of reasons, but let's not forget that it wasn't an entirely original game.

Actually that is a policy that Sega very much follows. But the thing is that ultimately someone wants to make it. In the case of Shenmue III, Space Channel 5 VR, the original creators had a big desire, and thus Sega licensed it to the original creators.
The creators of Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio etc. that are still at Sega just don't want to make it and/or are happy working on other projects. However they are happy to give endorsement/supervision. That happened with all their licensed projects.

snakey2389

May 31, 2019
It has to be Shinobi. It's part of the holy trinity of Sega Genesis(Streets of Rage,Sonic,Shinobi) and it has been almost 10 years since the last game on the 3DS which was really good too. Give us Shinobi pls!

Oct 27, 2017
220px-Altered_Beast_cover.jpg

I would like to see Altered Beast rise from it's grave.
Make it a metroidvania style game where you unlock beast powers.

The series has tons of potential. It just needs to take risks.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Actually that is a policy that Sega very much follows. But the thing is that ultimately someone wants to make it. In the case of Shenmue III, Space Channel 5 VR, the original creators had a big desire, and thus Sega licensed it to the original creators.
The creators of Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio etc. that are still at Sega just don't want to make it and/or are happy working on other projects. However they are happy to give endorsement/supervision. That happened with all their licensed projects.
I really doubt that Sega would actually greenlight new in-house Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio or Panzer Dragoon games if someone within their internal teams proposed them (and it probably happened numerous times), no matter how much they would've wanted to.
We don't really know if Weston survivors and Ancient wouldnt've liked to handle new Wonder Boy and Bare Knuckle games personally, and i really doubt so.
It really looks like they value some ips over others, and favor some of the original creators over other ones for some reason.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Golden Axe is cool and all ... but i rather have a new Spikeout than a new Golden Axe because Golden Axe is too much like Streets of Rage gameplay wise

And with Spikeout they can add some Virtua Fighter and Yakuza characters as cameos since the base gameplay was there.

www.youtube.com

Spikeout Battle Street Minhua x2

Spikeout Battle Street Online Co-op Walkthrough.Hard Mode Gameplay.Platform: XBox LiveP1:White Minhua|Ph_ _ _ _s さん(jp), P2:Blue Minhua|香港 ✈(hk)

I never played the Spikeout games, but they honestly look more fun to me than Yakuza combat, at least up until the Dragon Engine games (6, K2). That floatiness, the juggles, and enemy reactions look satisfying in a Tekken/VF way. A game with higher enemy counts and denser environments filled with a lot of breakable objects sound right up my alley.