• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Lizard Cube made a remake of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

Games Atelier made a spiritual sequel to the Wonder Boy series in Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom

Technically, you could count Shenmue III developed by Yu Suzuki's own studio independent of SEGA

MegaPixel Studio made Panzer Dragoon REMAKE and is also remaking Zwei. They are also developing remakes of the first two House of the Dead games.
www.youtube.com

Panzer Dragoon - Launch Trailer - Nintendo Switch

A new, remade version of the Panzer Dragoon game, true to the original, with improved graphics and controls, that suit modern gaming standards! On a far, lon...

And finally Lizard Cube teamed up with Guard Crush to deliver Streets of Rage 4

So which game franchise should be next? Which franchise should SEGA license out next? Which indie studios would you like on particular franchises.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let me handle Thunder Force. Over the last several years, I've reverse engineered much of both Thunder Force III and Thunder Force IV. I.e. figured out the level structure and object timing code, built a bespoke, higly portable Sonic Mania-like Genesis/Saturn retro engine to handle the graphics format, etc. I know people who could handle the graphics and music in a way that would satisfy purists. My team has experience making games for a variety of clients, including Samsung.

I have actually been building a demo to pitch for this very purpose. It features an original music track Savage Regime gave me long ago in the style of Thunder Force.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Let me handle Thunder Force. Over the last several years, I've reverse engineered much of both Thunder Force III and Thunder Force IV. I.e. figured out the level structure and object timing code, built a bespoke, higly portable Sonic Mania-like Genesis/Saturn retro engine to handle the graphics format, etc. I know people who could handle the graphics and music in a way that would satisfy purists. My team has experience making games for a variety of clients, including Samsung.
You should make a demo to pitch to SEGA.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should make a demo to pitch to SEGA.

I've been putting one together. Eventually I will pitch it, I have an avenue for such pitches already in place. I've worked on my engine for the last 14 years. Part of my demo of how portable it is, is it running on the Dreamcast, PC, and android phone from the same code base. It can even natively read art and level data straight off of a Sega Genesis cartridge of Thunder Force III and IV.

Just throwing it out there is all, because a big reason Taxman got into segas ear was because of his original public campaign.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This. I would take a follow up to either Shinobi III or PS2 Shinobi if done right.
Yeah, both of those rock. There was also a really fun 3DS Shinobi game a few years back that never really got all that much attention that is well worth checking out. But nothing recently :( But at least they chucked the original Shinobi up on the Switch, I've been enjoying replaying that one this month!

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Super Monkey Ball. We have 2 indie takes on the game (Paperball and Rolled Out) and a lot of hacks of the original games. I want a Sonic Mania-esque Monkey Ball that understands what makes the originals so great.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
The fun answer: Give Puyo Puyo to Resonair (not happening, Sega does fine by Puyo)
The "not in the spirit of the question answer"- give full control of Virtua Fighter to either Bamco or Tecmo-Koei
The serious answer: Give Shinobi to to The Game Bakers (the team that made Furi)

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I've been putting one together. Eventually I will pitch it, I have an avenue for such pitches already in place. I've worked on my engine for the last 14 years. Part of my demo of how portable it is, is it running on the Dreamcast, PC, and android phone from the same code base. It can even natively read art and level data straight off of a Sega Genesis cartridge of Thunder Force III and IV.

Just throwing it out there is all, because a big reason Taxman got into segas ear was because of his original public campaign.
All the best of luck to you Krejlooc! All I personally ask is that you get some cool metal artist with a sick cover of Metal Squad.

I assume you'd go with a Sonic Mania approach to graphics.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Is there any studio you guys have in mind?
Well, Dinosaur Games' pitch for a JSR game looked pretty killer. I guess I'd go with them.

Then there's Rocket Juice Games who's working on Neon Tail, which is heavily JSR-inspired. It's not quite on par with what I'd expect from a JSR game aesthetically, but mechanically it feels like a very solid take on JSR's skating.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Someone give the SoR4 treatment to Golden Axe please.
Golden Axe with an SoR4 style reimagining.
Well, the artist for SoR 4, Ben Fiquet, drew some gorgeous fanart of Tyris Flare
Tyris02.png

He did specify that this is just fanart, not a hint of anything, but you gotta admit it gets the imagination going.

In fact thinking about this piece of artwork is what pushed me to make this thread.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

:O i wanna see lmao

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer SEGA to do them in house or at least publish them themselves, but this is the next best thing.

Every time I sort my Switch games by publisher and the Streets of Rage 4 icon doesn't have "SEGA" listed above, it feels kinda strange.
It is? I guess...? I don't really know.

I'd rather have the people that actually made those series have a new take on them, even if they're not inside Sega anymore.
I mean, Street of Rage 4 is a really good game, but that european comic-book artstyle, i don't know... it doesn't feel like a SoR game anymore, same for Wonder Boy becoming a french-belgian cartoon...
And the results ot their 3d properties being outsorced have been really mixed so far.

I mean, you really want a western-made Jet Set Radio game? Thats sounds horrific to me.

What would be next? Larian making a new Skies of Arcadia? A new Virtua Fighter made by Lab Zero?

I don't know, sometimes it just looks like people really don't care for the legacy and the identity of the games, but only for their brands.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

I hope you get it with all the stuff you've shown off and what not it'll be honestly the best if you did it, and frankly this was exactly how they did the episodes they released on ios. So I'll be looking forward to your Thunder Force Mania ;)

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
Shinobi

By Locomalito or the team behind Volgarr the Viking.

And please, no 2.5D graphics.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

There was a Crazy Taxi mobile game or two about that very concept with a bunch of different cabbies

Gazillionaire-Pic-2.jpg
DBUxSb5VYAA8uFD.jpg

JET SET RADIOOOOOOOO

OHH YEAH

absolutely

Just imagine the intro to a new JSR with this song (second one, if timestamp doesn't work)

with a lone skater atop a skyscraper overlooking Tokyo-To listening to the radio broadcast in the song. She picks up her backpack and spray cans before chuckling at the Rokkaku message, then casually tips off the roof into a free-fall with the camera dropping with her as the floors of the building zoom by. The skyline looms in the background, gradually rising as she falls

A closeup shot shows the wheels of her skates drift closer to the side of the building before making contact and she's now skating along it, hurtling downwards before kicking off from the building and landing/grinding on some powerlines at high speed. As she leaps from powerline to roof to awning to sidewalk, other skaters throughout the city spot her and skate after her.

They all meetup at a Goji Rokkaku propganda billboard in a central point of the city. They mill about and quickly move past one another with closeup shots of their hands holding spray cans, spraypainting over the billboard, until they all disperse revealing the JET SET RADIO logo still dripping wet

and then ... then you press any button to continue 😭

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind a not awful Golden Axe with the SoR4's ideas behind. Just

- 2D
- Emphasis in magic and beasts to ride
- Great music
- Great mobility

And we're golden

AliasGreed

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure but Lizard Cube has been killing it. Especially on these short full of stuff games. Something like Shinobi or Golden Axe. They should keep remaking these short games and not get bogged down with humongous games like RPGs.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is? I guess...? I don't really know.

I'd rather have the people that actually made those series have a new take on them, even if they're not inside Sega anymore.

This happened with wonder boy. Monster World was made with Ryuichi Nishizawa, the creator of the original series. Additionally, Yuzo Koshiro was involved with Streets of Rage 4. Lots of members of Sonic Team oversaw Sonic Mania, as well.

The Dragon's Trap was made by Omar "Bock" Cornut. Bock is the patriarch of the entire Sega Master System scene. He founded and has been running SMS Power for over 20 years now. He also created Meka. The lengths he went through to reverse engineer Wonder Boy III are extremely impressive.

The teams which have handled these games are about as great as anybody could possibly ask for. They're not just some random indie devs, they're pretty much the hardest core superfans who have spent literal decades figuring out how the originals work, under the supervision of lots of the original talent.

Hands down they're the biggest experts on these games on the planet.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
This happened with wonder boy. Monster World was made with Ryuichi Nishizawa, the creator of the original series. Additionally, Yuzo Koshiro was involved with Streets of Rage 4. Lots of members of Sonic Team oversaw Sonic Mania, as well.

The Dragon's Trap was made by Omar "Bock" Cornut. Bock is the patriarch of the entire Sega Master System scene. He founded and has been running SMS Power for over 20 years now. He also created Meka. The lengths he went through to reverse engineer Wonder Boy III are extremely impressive.

The teams which have handled these games are about as great as anybody could possibly ask for. They're not just some random indie devs, they're pretty much the hardest core superfans who have spent literal decades figuring out how the originals work, under the supervision of lots of the original talent.

Hands down they're the biggest experts on these games on the planet.
Nishizawa's supervisor role in Monster Boy doesn't appear to be very relevant.
Koshiro only made a bunch of songs for SoR4.
I'm sure that whoever made the Dragon's Trap remake was super hardcore and passional about it, and they made a beautifully looking reskin of the original game, but they're no Westone, that's for sure.
I'm not saying that those teams aren't good, but they've been great cover bands, not the real deal.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
We made a brief pitch for a Phantasy Star Mania that didn't get greenlit. At some point, we ought to pitch a Phantasy Star V using the 2.5D graphic style we've been messing around with.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Sidebar Studios' take on Shining Force.

Chucklefish would make a bit more sense as an alternative, but there would be something inherently appropriate about Sidebar doing it!