• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Better scene

• SSJ Goku

Votes: 229 49.2%
  • SSJ2 Gohan

Votes: 236 50.8%

• Total voters

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Two iconic moments in the franchise

latest

latest

Which moment was better, more impactful/iconic and why?

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I loved Gohan's transformation, Goku's changed the entire series and it hasn't been the same since so I'm voting for that one. Gohan's still the one I've seen the most though. Both 10/10 transformations.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Gohan's transformation is good but it only really becomes special in versions where Unmei no Hi is playing.

Goku's transformation is always great in every version.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Always the OG.

The whole fight with Frieza, losing Vegeta, Piccolo, Krillin, the buildup...phew. I remember losing my shit seeing Goku finally transform for the first time.

Last edited:

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
They are both good but it's the build up with krillin and then the aftermath of goku actually looking angry at gohan for the first time being super serious and no longer fucking around.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Gohan's fight with Cell might be the most anticlimactic and underwhelming final fight of any of the classic Dragon Ball storylines.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Gohan

A much more satisfying build up and pay off, and I'd say it's overall the best moment in DBZ period

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Gohan scene is one of the best in the entire franchise.

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
Goku going SSJ, and it's not even close.

Just the build up to it is phenomenal. I'll never forget it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Father Son Kamehameha

It's a great visual motif but from a narrative standpoint it's completely lacking in tension or interesting imagery and character interaction. Just two characters standing and firing beams at each other gets boring fast. Gohan and Cell barely fight after Gohan turns SSJ2, Gohan gets a few licks in and then he kicks up 18. Compare it to Goku's fight with Freeza after he turns Super Saiyan, and how much they interact with each other both as fighters and characters. Granted, some of that is because Toriyama clearly had no idea where the Android/Cell storyline was going (even less than usual for him!) and landed on Gohan being the one to fight Cell even though they have zero interaction or pathos beforehand.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Goku going SSJ4

Okay nah but seriously as a lifelong Gohan fan, the first transformation is *the* moment, and Krillin's death was a much bigger blow.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Goku hands down. It came first and the stakes/loss was much more palpable. Vegeta cried and died, Krillin gone. It was perfect. Can't remember very many times the next day at school when EVERYONE was talking about the same thing.

Gin

May 2, 2018
Goku going UItra Instinct and the build up to it - was 100x more memorable

It's a great visual motif but from a narrative standpoint it's completely lacking in tension or interesting imagery and character interaction. Just two characters standing and firing beams at each other gets boring fast. Gohan and Cell barely fight after Gohan turns SSJ2, Gohan gets a few licks in and then he kicks up 18. Compare it to Goku's fight with Freeza after he turns Super Saiyan, and how much they interact with each other both as fighters and characters. Granted, some of that is because Toriyama clearly had no idea where the Android/Cell storyline was going (even less than usual for him!) and landed on Gohan being the one to fight Cell even though they have zero interaction or pathos beforehand.
Pretty much, one of the reason why I'm pretty low on the Andriod/Cell saga along with other reasons

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
When you thought it was about passing the torch, it was obviously Gohan going SSJ2. Finally coming to his own, surpassing his dad, saving the planet.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Tough one

While I love Gohans moment, gokus moment was worth the wait all those years of watching him through DB and DBZ.

The moment krillin got killed, I was pissed for goku and then it happened. I was hypeeeeee

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Gohan by a country mile... unless you mean the awful US version with worse music and absolutely horrible added inner monologue.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
I'd put Gohans mystic transformation above Goku SSJ1.

Then again I'm a simp for Gohan.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Gohan finally fulfilling his potential was more rewarding than the power of friendship goku saian transformation.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Pretty hard choice tbh. I love the cell saga and the Gotham transformation so I voted that but both are fantastic.

Oct 28, 2017
Gohan's feels out of nowhere for how the hastily the Cell saga was written whereas Goku's transformation was built up the entire Namek saga.

The idea of Gohan's great is interesting but the narrative doesn't really back it up.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Gohan's feels out of nowhere for how the hastily the Cell saga was written whereas Goku's transformation was built up the entire Namek saga.

The idea of Gohan's great is interesting but the narrative doesn't really back it up.

literally the entire Z portion of the story built up to gohan going ssj2

which is why it should have ended there but alas

Oct 28, 2017
literally the entire Z portion of the story built up to gohan going ssj2

which is why it should have ended there but alas
Not really, if anything Z was the build up of Gohan's resentment towards his father and identity crisis as the role of earth's defender. Toriyama had to quickly throw in the Cell Jr's to create tension and force a transformation that, while a cool moment, feels entirely unearned and hollow.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Easily Goku. Gohan's transformation was sparked for a lame reason caused by his own inaction. Though I guess Gohan gets credit for doing what the villains couldn't really do and that's killing Goku.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Not really, if anything Z was the build up of Gohan's resentment towards his father and identity crisis as the role of earth's defender. Toriyama had to quickly throw in the Cell Jr's to create tension and force a transformation that, while a cool moment, feels entirely unearned and hollow.

Gohan doesn't resent Goku whatsoever, lmao.