• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which RPG series has the best anthem?

• Final Fantasy

• Dragon Quest

• Fire Emblem

• Other (comment below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
I can never quite decide which among these three particular main themes I like best. I tend to group these ones together since they sound like they could have lyrics. Personally I find the melodies of Final Fantasy's and Fire Emblem's to be kind of similar, like I tend to blend both of them when I start to hum one. Dragon Quest's melody is more distinct in that regard so it probably has the edge. What about you, Era? Or are there other anthemic main themes out there that you consider better (i.e. Pokemon)?

Final Fantasy

Dragon Quest

Fire Emblem

Last edited:

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The Final Fantasy theme is synonymous with RPG's the way Zelda's theme is synonymous with Adventure and Mario is synonymous with Platformers. This isn't close.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Got to go with DQ
That part where it quiets down to the strings and crescendos back up at the end is just *chef's kiss*

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest, for certain. Iconic, and always stirs me.

The main theme and crystal theme kind of go side by side for me for Final Fantasy (both are great).

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
FF prelude > FF main theme > DQ overture. FE doesn't belong here at all.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
y'all saying Fire Emblem doesn't belong, but I feel like it does. I'd argue Dragon Quest is the one that should probably go if we GOTTA take something away lol.
Though to be fair FE benefits A LOT from newer interpretations of it. Which I think is the big boon to FE and FF compared to DQ. Though I can see how the opposite might be more of a positive to someone else.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely FF, that songs give me chills every time I listen to it. But tbf I'm more of a recent DQ fan.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
You could have called this poll "Which of these three RPG series do you like the most?" and it would have the same results.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Lol personally the Final Fantasy prelude is more iconic than the main theme if you ask me.

Yeah. It's a one-two punch. I would argue I could name 10 Final Fantasy songs that are more widely known and in general better than the theme to DQ or FE. That's why I don't feel it's especially close to be honest.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I love DQ and FE's main themes but FF's was actually used in military. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOEB2vif0SY
Evangelion is the best RPG theme:

Amazing dancing too:

WanSaltyLacewing-size_restricted.gif

That's not the actual song they're playing (iirc it's Bon Jovi (the actual best RPG theme!)), but still wanted to link anyway :P!

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, I didn't know Fire Emblem had its own theme.
OP picked a terrible version by choosing an OVA theme. The actual Fire Emblem theme doesn't start until 38 seconds. Which should be recognizable even if you only know FE from Smash.

Also Prelude is the real main theme for FF even if it's not the "Main Theme"

Oct 27, 2017
Stop calling ff's prelude the "main theme". It's like saying the file select tune / great fairy fountain theme is the zelda series theme

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dumb question, but has the final fantasy theme being used in all the games? I cant recall hearing it in FF XV or XIII or maybe I was not paying attention (Maybe in XV was the menu music?)

Regarding the poll, my pick is the dragon quest theme, each time that I play Dragon Quest XI I watch the entire intro just to listen to that song

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question, but has the final fantasy theme being used in all the games? I cant recall hearing it in FF XV or XIII or maybe I was not paying attention (Maybe in XV was the menu music?)

Regarding the poll, my pick is the dragon quest theme, each time that I play Dragon Quest XI I watch the entire intro just to listen to that song
Prologue (FF Main Theme) is not in 2, 10 or 13

Prelude though is in every game and 15 even lost its mind remixing it one thousand times lol

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
The Final Fantasy main theme at the very least plays in the end credits of every game. In FFXV in particular it plays at the end during the Royal Edition's final ending scene, remixed as a wedding theme.

Notably, the Final Fantasy main theme has appeared in major moments at the start of various games. The main theme is sometimes called the "bridge song" because of how it plays during the narration and title display when the party first heads out into the world after completing the first adventure in Final Fantasy 1. It was used similarly at the start of Final Fantasy IV, when Cecil departs Baron on his quest. As such, the theme left a strong impression on a lot of people who got into the series in the NES or SNES days.

In general, the main theme is generally used to mark the beginning or the end of the heroes' adventure. Thus, it is often saved for key parts of endings or special opening moments. FFXIV had a great use of the theme in A Realm Reborn, where it plays as your character boards the airship that will take you out of the place where you had your starting levels and into the wider world. Like in FFI and IV, it is used in XIV as a song to mark the hero leaving home and setting out on their hero's journey.

Similarly, the song is used to mark the triumphant celebration of the hero's return. FFV has a great moment where the main theme kicks in at the end of the ending where the credits start to roll. In that scene it celebrates the resurrection of the heroes who died, if you lost anyone in the final battle.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hate the Dragon Quest anthem.

Can't remember if I ever liked it, but ten million trailers later, I hate it now.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem's anthem is my favorite because lyrical renditions are both funny and awesome. It's the one thing I enjoy the most when booting up FE Heroes. It's a genuinely good theme on its own, though, with many great remixes over the years.

I never played a Final Fantasy game, so I very rarely hear the main theme in anything. How often is it used in trailers or in the games themselves? It's clearly not as overused as Dragon Quest's. I can see how someone can get sick of DQ's anthem, though I don't personally have an issue with it.

I might as well post the "proper" Fire Emblem main theme while I'm here. :D

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The great thing about Final Fantasy is that it has numerous themes and changes constantly. The Final Fantasy 13 battle music still makes me wanna do pushups.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Played multiple Fire Emblem games with Three Houses only a month ago and I'm struggling to think of how the FE anthem goes... Obviously doesn't mean it's not good. Dragon Quests is the most memorable, but not that great in my opinion. So Final Fantasy by default for me. Grandia has a great theme song as well.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
The DQ overture is just perfect. It wins this easily.

Fire Emblem's theme is fantastic too. Final Fantasy's is extremely meh.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
The Fire Emblem theme always fills me with good feels when I see the epilogue for all my units after every game. Perhaps not the most known among the three but it's my pick.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
you all be crazy, this is the definitive FE theme, the one that should be on the OP:

/jk

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Played multiple Fire Emblem games with Three Houses only a month ago and I'm struggling to think of how the FE anthem goes... Obviously doesn't mean it's not good. Dragon Quests is the most memorable, but not that great in my opinion. So Final Fantasy by default for me. Grandia has a great theme song as well.
The Main Church theme (aka the title select screen music) IS the main FE theme, just slightly slowed down & on a synthesized organ
"Prelude" is probably the one I'm thinking about. I recognize that way more than what OP posted.
Yeah, it most likely is.

I think the problem with this comparison is that all 3 series use the music very differently. DQ obviously uses the exact same theme, all the time. FF doesn't actually play Prologue that often, focusing more on Prelude and each individual games' main theme. And FE just remixes it's main theme in many games, to the point that a lot of people failed to notice

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
lmao at Fire Emblem. Dragon Quest's is cute, but nothing more than that
you all be crazy, this is the definitive FE theme, the one that should be on the OP:

/jk

that song was so fucking embarrassing I had to turn the music down, it happens at a very important moment in the story too. I laughed out loud because I wasn't expecting it lol

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
The Main Church theme (aka the title select screen music) IS the main FE theme, just slightly slowed down & on a synthesized organ
Uhm main church theme? I gotta be honest, the FE soundtrack hasn't exactly gotten stuck in my head despite the 60+ hours i've put into it (unlike that awful DQXI soundtrack on PS4).

Edit: Now that I've listened to it it's pretty good and I do remember it. Don't like the church rendition of it at all though.

Sep 14, 2018
I am cackling at including Fire Emblem here, I've played all of them except 3H and the NES versions and still I had no idea wtf the series anthem was supposed to be lol.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FF Main Theme for me above the others. My most memorable moment hearing the theme was after finishing FF7 and hearing it during the Staff Roll theme, I was not expecting it.