• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Best Buy and amazon just in case. I might do GS too, since it looks like my local store will still be open at least through Nov.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
So I went to Smyths toy store in Charlton for the midnight launch. It was surprisingly wholesome. I went a few hours before, there were about 50 people there just chatting. Most people were really nice, had a little polite chat, stood in the cold, got my Switch D1.

For my Xbox One I think I used GAME and they were fine, went and picked it up during the day in Oxford.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
It was going to be Amazon before they just decided to not ship Tony Hawk 1+2
Now probably Best Buy or Target so I can do car side pick up

Oct 27, 2017
I have a GameStop within a 5 min walk from my work. I did this for switch in 2017, and I was only the 9th person in line literally 10 mins before opening.

I've pre ordered and got the Wii, DSi, 3DS, and Switch at GameStop and will do so again. Got my PS4 at Best Buy but idk I might try to get two pre orders

Oct 25, 2017
Store_Front_Cropped.jpg

The homies, of course. Never done me wrong before.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Not Best Buy.

I really hate GameStop as a company but their handling and shipping speeds for collector's editions this gen was excellent. I always got things before release date or on it and they had great packaging every time.

SpillRune

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Do you not get staff discount or at least placed to the front of the queue?
Consoles are sold at zero margin or even a loss, and as an employee you're not allowed to buy anything with limited supply. If we get 200 consoles, they go to 200 customers, employees have to wait until launch is over, and supply is back to normal, or order online as a normal customer. (Different chain, but it should be the same at most serious retailers.)

Alchemist

Oct 25, 2017
Do you not get staff discount or at least placed to the front of the queue?

First come, first served for preorders.

Staff discount on hardware is only 5%. I don't particularly like the returns policy for consoles so in the case of an unfortunate event, I'd rather go with Amazon who are unmatched in that department.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I usually support my local EB Games because they have a bunch of cool guys working there, but I'm a bit worried about an untimely bankruptcy. I might edge with a BB preorder too.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I trust Best Buy a lot more than Amazon when it comes to getting it in on time. I bought my PS4 from Best Buy on launch with no issues.
That being said, I'll probably put in a Amazon pre-order in just to be safe.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
If I had the disposable cash to just jump in without worrying about it I'd probably go with amazon as I've never had an issue with my prime subscription

personally I'm not quite sure yet. Nothing about the ps5 is compelling me to jump in immediately and I want to look more into the xbox all access option when the details/partners for that come out - but since I still have 20 months or so on my gamepass subscription its not going to be until may/june next year that I'll be getting a series x on all access, so I'm looking forward to getting impressions from the early adopters here

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Which ever one I can get a preorder in. Not splitting hairs if release is limited.

Actually OP make a poll so I can see where I have better chances!

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
same as PS4 My local 24 hour Tesco. Very relaxed atmosphere and the shop is open so no need to wait outside, can stay inside and have snacks

thenameDS

Jul 17, 2018
Amazon, ShopTo, SimplyGames and Smyths are the ones I'll be trusting in the UK. Whichever one I can secure a day one console out of those.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I have almost $200.00 in Best Buy gift cards from various work incentives over the last few months. So Best Buy, lol.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten my other consoles from GameStop for ease of use (and because I knew people that worked there), but with everything going on with Covid, I might try Amazon Prime Or Best Buy (maaaybe) instead.

mattypacker

Oct 29, 2017
Bristol UK
Always gone to GAME for console launches and they've never let me down. Have got a tonne of points saved up from trading in etc so it will make it cheaper.

And Mike Ashley, although I hate the guy he won't shut them down before the new consoles.

Last edited:

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Best Buy or Amazon. Unless all access, then I might go MS directly.

Basically, just not GameStop, because I don't have faith they won't go bankrupt and take my preorder with them.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Honestly whichever place I can get an order for a Series X at. Gamestop, Best Buy or Target in person/in-store pickup. Or Amazon if that's my only option, but I don't like the idea of something that expensive being delivered when I'm at work.

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
I've always done in-store preorder/pickup for new console releases but leaning towards Amazon this launch.

Historically how is Amazon when it comes to new console launches and shipping? I'm WFH the rest of the year so I'm cool with it being shipped as long as I get it release day.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Crossing my fingers for Sony letting me in to pre-order; if so, then Playstation Direct. If not, probably either Target (that sweet Red Card discount) or Amazon. Not even looking in GameStop's direction.

I'm also getting the XSX straight from Microsoft.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Amazon have never messed up on any big orders of mine (or at least when they have, have dealt with it without hassle), so I'll be going there.
If I do decide to grab a series X I may see if its worth trading in my X locally, but we only have a gamestop here, and doubtless it would be exhausting to clamber over the Harry Potter monopoly and Pop culture figurines to only get thruppence ha'penny.