• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I say we wait till all the episodes are released and count the average
giphy.gif

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Not having played RE3 before I still think it's gonna FFVIIR. RE3 doesn't exactly have that great a reputation to begin with (it's the only one I haven't played btw, it just didn't look very good at the time) and FFVII is this legendary game. As a remake, FFVIIR to me doesn't look that good (it looks to divert too far from the original in various ways) but people are gonna go nuts for it anyway. Some cooler heads will prevail and view it for what I think it's gonna be (I'd love to be proven wrong btw, FFVII was my favorite game of all time for quite a few years), but I think on the whole people are gonna go nuts for it for the simple fact that it's a FFVII remake. It doesn't matter that it's literally just 1/10th of the full game.

RE3 is gonna score a respectable 80-85 and FFVIIR will be 87-92

Spot on!

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
FF7R score was higher than expected and wasn't even review bombed. Was it THAT good?

Oct 30, 2017
lol going back and reading the old posts and how many were doubting FFVIIR.. gosh how things have changed and turned around ;-)

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
The outcome wasn't even particularly surprising. The original RE3 was never even remotely as beloved as the original RE2 or the original FFVII, and going by demos, previews, and general hype, I wasn't under the impression that things would go any differently for REmake 3.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The outcome wasn't even particularly surprising. The original RE3 was never even remotely as beloved as the original RE2 or the original FFVII, and going by the demos and previews, I wasn't under the impression that things would go any differently for REmake 3.
hindsight bias

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Is it, though? Doesn't seem like it after years of being one of the few people to actually vouch for the original RE3. Even if REmake 3 had proven to be great rather than just okay (basically the also-ran to RE2 that so many accused the original RE3 of being), nothing at all seemed realistic about expecting it to score as high as REmake 2 did. The only surprise to me was it being low 80s rather than mid.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Is it, though? Doesn't seem like it after years of being one of the few people to actually vouch for the original RE3. Even if REmake 3 had proven to be great rather than just okay (basically the also-ran to RE2 that so many accused the original RE3 of being), nothing at all seemed realistic about expecting it to score as high as REmake 2 did. The only surprise to me was it being low 80s rather than mid.

Easy to say after the fact, though. You had plenty of time before, and maybe you did, but if you didn't, what's the point now?

Related to that is fascinating to see how the thread evolved.

First RE3 was winning by a landslide.

After the RE3 demo released, the majority of the votes went for FF7r ( a point for those who played it and voted accordingly. They recognized the problems with the game)

Then, after reviews came out for RE3 there were a lot of sore losers making excuses :P

And after FF7 reviews a bit of misguided gloating and some rationalization after the fact ;)

Finally, a few cases of people that showed a amazing insight from the start.

I think it's a perfect example of what most threads are probably like, but here we have the receipts at the end....so think about how most of the time, we're probably wrong, and in a few cases we're that rare person in the thread with special insight hehe. That should make us all more open to new ideas and the fact that we may be wrong

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Easy to say after the fact, though. You had plenty of time before, and maybe you did, but if you didn't, what's the point now?

Related to that is fascinating to see how the thread evolved.

First RE3 was winning by a landslide.

After the RE3 demo released, the majority of the votes went for FF7r ( a point for those who played it and voted accordingly. They recognized the problems with the game)

Then, after reviews came out for RE3 there were a lot of sore losers making excuses :P

And after FF7 reviews a bit of misguided gloating and some rationalization after the fact ;)

Finally, a few cases of people that showed a amazing insight from the start.

I think it's a perfect example of what most threads are probably like, but here we have the receipts at the end....so think about how most of the time, we're probably wrong, and in a few cases we're that rare person in the thread with special insight hehe. That should make us all more open to new ideas and the fact that we may be wrong
I have no problems admitting to being wrong when I'm actually wrong, yet in this case I wasn't. I don't consider having been correct to be anything special, and already explained why the outcome didn't seem particularly difficult to predict.

Either way, no idea what we're supposed to be arguing about here.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
same. not to act like i have all the answers but in this case, unless squeenix messed up royally, there was no way RE3 wad gonna beat ff7

It's not like 8.8 was an unbeatable score, people didn't know at that point about the length of RE 3, the cut areas, the addition of another sewer etc

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I have no problems admitting to being wrong when I'm actually wrong, yet in this case I wasn't. I don't consider having been correct to be anything special, and already explained why the outcome didn't seem particularly difficult to predict.

Either way, no idea what we're supposed to be arguing about here.

Etiquette ;)

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, a whole lot of people said RE3. It's crazy because wasnt there nothing but good things said about FF7R before its launch? That and not having to succeed a previous remake the following year in itself gave it a major advantage.

javiBear

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was honestly surprised that FF7 Remake ended up being a better game, seeing as I haven't really enjoyed much of Squares output in ages. I'm glad we got both games, and I'm gonna fence sit with this next comment, but gamers won in the end.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't make a bet on this, but I genuinely thought an RE3 remake could have been the best Resident Evil game. I think the stage really was set for that. Out of 2/3/CV, I've always felt 3 had the highest potential upside with a remake. It had a thin story that begged to be further fleshed out, the city streets were a perfect candidate for being redone and expanded greatly, while Nemesis could have retaken the crown of being the most fearsome stalker enemy in games, following in the footsteps of the amazing Alien (Isolation) and RE2make's Mr. X. Capcom knocked it out of the park with RE7 and RE2. Resident Evil was 2-for-2 with remakes. There was no reason to think those streaks wouldn't continue. So I'm not surprised that RE3 got a lot of support in here. I probably would have voted for it myself if I was forced to make a vote.

Needless to say (having finished it last night), I'm stunned at how R3make turned out. It's a fine video game when removed from all contexts, but as a remake and as a follow-up to RE2, boy, they really missed the mark on so many levels. I'm rarely ever this salty about a game disappointing me, but I am a real salty dog today!