• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
giphy.gif

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
If I was a petty person I would begin to quote some earlier takes on this thread...

But naaah #FFteam let's go!

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I should have listened to my heart...

Honestly surprised by the Resident Evil 3 scores however, the (almost) complete lack of replay value, the total absence of branching paths and different endings as well as Nemesis turning up during scripted encounters as opposed to being more of an ever-present threat makes for slightly disheartening reading.

Maybe a game to buy and play at Halloween later this year for £20 or something ... 🎃

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's entirely probable that FF7 ends up with a score as low as RE3 -- so RE3's performance thus far doesn't make this a moot debate.

DXLelouch24

Oct 28, 2017
One again fools underestimate the power of FF7
Foolishness RE fans(i wanted it to score higher too lol)Foolishness

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Well, VII has this on lock now. It's not going below 80.

Edit: though there could be some part 1 backlash I guess.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE3 is currently a point lower the Final Fantasy XV.

Obviously anything could happen but I'd say things are looking good on Squares end.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
FF7 would have to absolutely dive bomb in quality after the bombing mission to score below an 85 imo

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I feel very confident in winning the bet now but I'm sad it will happen this way. I know RE3 is good, but I was really hoping it would be a GOTY caliber game like RE1 and especially RE2.

If FFVII Remake scores lower I will be shattered.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yeah, following up a remake of the iconic RE2 was always gonna be a tall task for RE3, but it sounds like Capcom dropped the ball in a couple of key areas. Kinda disappointing. I doubt FF7R goes below 85 unless people really don't like how it cuts off after Midgar.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm listed on the FFVII Remake camp in the OP but there's a caveat - my post was one where I originally said the completed series of games would be received better, but I was expecting RE3make to review better than the first volume because people are going to shit on it not being "the full experience" and issues with endings - do I win a doofy avatar?

I'm willing to pay for my sins. I did not expect RE3make to cut so much, but that makes it instantly clear why a tacked on three-weak peak playerbase multiplayer mode is added with as part of the complete package.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wanna make another avatar bet on that? Lol, worst case scenario FF VII RE will be an 85
What was the last mainline Final Fantasy game to get an 85 or higher on initial release? FFXV is sitting at an 81....Lightning Returns is 66.....FFXIII-2 is at 79....FInal Fantasy XIII is at 82. Kingdom Hearts III is at 82.

It seems to me that expecting much higher than a low-80's score is pretty optimistic, given the company's output over the last 10-15 years. Final Fantasy 7 has nostalgia behind it, but that is a pretty doubled-edged sword.....some people might be softer on it, but if things are changed in a way people don't like it they will be much more harsh as well.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What was the last mainline Final Fantasy game to get an 85 or higher on initial release? FFXV is sitting at an 81....Lightning Returns is 66.....FFXIII-2 is at 79....FInal Fantasy XIII is at 82. Kingdom Hearts III is at 82.

It seems to me that expecting much higher than a low-80's score is pretty optimistic, given the company's output over the last 10-15 years. Final Fantasy 7 has nostalgia behind it, but that is a pretty doubled-edged sword.....some people might be softer on it, but if things are changed in a way people don't like it they will be much more harsh as well.
XIV.

You're also ignoring the context of how positively received the demo was.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

I think how the game is paced, what issues of padding occur, and how the game ends are the three critical pillars that will affect the games reception. The games you mentioned feature at least two of those three pillars being seen in a negative light. In fact, pacing is seen as the consistently criticized space for every game you mentioned there.

VII Remake has to be as linear as Uncharted and have meaningless quests like an MMO to be docked in the low 80s. Nomura's remarks where he had to tell the team to scale back on content seems to create concern of the latter being a possible issue. I think mid-to-high-80s might be where it sits. I thought RE3make was going to be an 81 and be placed there because it was too similar to RE2make, for comparison's sake. I don't see VII Remake Part Uno sitting in the 90s simply because the looming shadow of it not being the full FF story is going to haunt this project until that shadow is replaced with the actual end.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are expansion packs to the MMOs really considered the "mainline" Final Fantasy series, at this point? It's a different team working on a very different kind of game with different goals in mind.
You're also ignoring the context of how positively received the demo was.
I think how the game is paced, what issues of padding occur, and how the game ends are the three critical pillars that will affect the games reception. The games you mentioned feature at least two of those three pillars being seen in a negative light. In fact, pacing is seen as the consistently criticized space for every game you mentioned there.
I generally think the criticisms will surround pacing and bloat -- trying to expand the first 1/3 of FF7's story into a 20-40 hour game doesn't seem like the greatest of ideas. You have to introduce all kinds of new story, character, and setting elements that people may or may not like. You have to invent all kinds of new quests, sidetasks, and fluff. The game is going to have a ton of tapdancing and vamping.....and then it's going to end without remotely having completed the story. Even within a 30 minute demo itself you had complaints and gripes about how things were changed, but that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the heavy alterations that will be made over the course of a campaign that is dozens of hours long.

There's also the general issue that JRPGs are somewhat polarizing, and don't lean into a lot of the things that Western critics enjoy......good ones still get recognized, but it's hard for them to claw beyond the 80-90 rating. Persona managed it, but I think it's been a while since anyone else has.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Are expansion packs to the MMOs really considered the "mainline" Final Fantasy series, at this point? It's a different team working on a very different kind of game with different goals in mind.

I generally think the criticisms will surround pacing and bloat -- trying to expand the first 1/3 of FF7's story into a 20-40 hour game doesn't seem like the greatest of ideas. You have to introduce all kinds of new story, character, and setting elements that people may or may not like. The game is going to have a ton of tapdancing and vamping.....and then it's going to end without remotely having completed the story. Even within a 30 minute demo itself you had complaints and gripes about how things were changed, but that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the heavy alterations that will be made over the course of a campaign that is dozens of hours long.

There's also the general issue that JRPGs are somewhat polarizing, and don't lean into a lot of the things that Western critics enjoy......good ones still get recognized, but it's hard for them to claw beyond the 80-90 rating.

I've spoken about the focus on Midgar in other VII threads, but I think such emphasis on making it a high volume space is it's actually the largest location in the world of FFVII. It's the largest space on the world map, despite you only spending a handful of hours there. I believe the intention of focusing more on it is to help showcase the feeling of it being a central hub of humanity on the planet, as well as playing into older players expectations that this area of the story of FFVII was much larger than it was. It seems even the staff who worked on the OG version didn't realize how small Midgar really was.

Now if they do a good job there, that's the question mark. I think they have no choice but to fire properly for this game, simply because at least two other games depend upon this one keeping players invested.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn

I thought you needed some sort of previous version for it to be an "expansion pack?" I'm surprised they let me still play it, that's really nice of Square.

And no you don't get to pull "well tha doesn't count." You said mainline and there's a big ass XIV on the logo.
I generally think the criticisms will surround pacing and bloat -- trying to expand the first 1/3 of FF7's story into a 20-40 hour game doesn't seem like the greatest of ideas. You have to introduce all kinds of new story, character, and setting elements that people may or may not like. You have to invent all kinds of new quests, sidetasks, and fluff. The game is going to have a ton of tapdancing and vamping.....and then it's going to end without remotely having completed the story. Even within a 30 minute demo itself you had complaints and gripes about how things were changed, but that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the heavy alterations that will be made over the course of a campaign that is dozens of hours long.

There's also the general issue that JRPGs are somewhat polarizing, and don't lean into a lot of the things that Western critics enjoy......good ones still get recognized, but it's hard for them to claw beyond the 80-90 rating. Persona managed it, but I think it's been a while since anyone else has.
And yet the majority of impressions are positive and we've got impressions of further into the game that are also positive.