• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
My avatar is already owed to Transistor but I'm gonna attempt to bamboozle him by double betting it in this thread. My heart wants RE3 to score as high as can be, but I'm guessing nostalgia + being a dream remake that happened will give FF7R will give it the edge this time.

In for FF7R.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Dusk Golem is it possible to jump to the other team? I didn't really understand that I would be agreeing to the bet just by posting in this thread. But I'm game! As long as I'll be able to rep FFVII. I don't expect it to actually score better but dammit if I'm not gonna back it at anyway.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I like my avatar too much to make a bet, but if I were betting, I'd put my money on RE3. While I'm hyped to hell for FF7R and expect to love it, I do have questions about how SE is going to handle the content outside of the main story beats. I expect RE3 to be a much more succinct experience while I can see FF7R containing a decent amount of bloat. If I had to guess, I'd say RE3 with an 87 MC while FF7R with an 84.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen the entire playthrough of RE3 remake so I don't know if its considered cheating or not, but I'm going with FF7R now. Unless SE fucks up big time of course.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have very low expectations for FFVII. Square has not shown me they can make a compelling RPG in a long time. Meanwhile, RE2 knocked it out of the park and Capcom has been on fire with several franchises (SF5 notwithstanding).

No brainer that RE3 will get the better score.

Dec 25, 2018
RE3. FF7 is regarded as one of the greatest games of all time so I can only imagine what will happen if any changes are made that people won't like.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
My brain says RE3 but my heart says FF7R.... Gotta go with my heart on this one, put my down for FF7 :)

Sep 14, 2018
RE3. FF7 is regarded as one of the greatest games of all time so I can only imagine what will happen if any changes are made that people won't like.

Yeah ff7 has a lot more to live up to, RE3 is rarely seen as one of the most influential games of all time lol.

First of all I didn't say that, and second that's an 81... This bet supposes that both games will score very high and be very good games, not a top to bottom failure of every element the series is renowned for.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
That defeats the whole purpose of the predictions.
Well it could still swing in RE3's favor because ultimately reviews are just opinions. I just wasn't that impressed based on what I've seen. I don't think the huge downgrade to gore was worth adding way more zombies on the screen, but reviewers might see it differently.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First of all I didn't say that, and second that's an 81... This bet supposes that both games will score very high and be very good games, not a top to bottom failure of every element the series is renowned for.
You need to look up what the word failure means. Last I checked 81 is a good score, and after playing the demo I'm certain FFVII will review even better.

You also said in regards to this topic, asking which game would review better, that betting on Square was a fools errand after FFXV, a game which reviewed well. So yeah, odd thing to say.

But if you insist on downplaying XV just because you didn't like it.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/final-fantasy-xiv-shadowbringers

Look at that a game by Square after XV. Funny.

Sep 14, 2018
Well it could still swing in RE3's favor because ultimately reviews are just opinions. I just wasn't that impressed based on what I've seen. I don't think the huge downgrade to gore was worth adding way more zombies on the screen, but reviewers might see it differently.

Who knows what reviewers think, usually nothing I imagine. I think RE3 has an easier road, just has to nail the gameplay pretty much, which sort of already happened. FF7 has to get gameplay right (not easy) and also progression, environments, their take on iconic characters... There's more room for not-so-goodness.

Sep 14, 2018
You also said in regards to this topic, asking which game would review better, that betting on Square was a fools errand after FFXV, a game which reviewed well. So yeah, odd thing to say.

I did say that! and 81 is a good score (thanks for checking though!) but not as good as RE2's, a game that has been developed alongside 3 twice now so surely we can expect many similarities yet again, including their scores. Taking into consideration these factors ( ff7 predecessor = bad, RE3 predecessor = gud), I think it is a fool's errand to bet on SE after XV.

And as I'm sure you know Naoki Yoshida's team did not touch this remake, so odd thing to bring up. (While Nomura is involved in the remake and created pretty much everything non gameplay about XV, thus creating a link between these projects).

Oh woops none of this has anything to do with this thread, goodbye now.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did say that! and 81 is a good score (thanks for checking though!) but not as good as RE2's, a game that has been developed alongside 3 twice now so surely we can expect many similarities yet again, including their scores. Taking into consideration these factors ( ff7 predecessor = bad, RE3 predecessor = gud), I think it is a fool's errand to bet on SE after XV.

And as I'm sure you know Naoki Yoshida's team did not touch this remake, so odd thing to bring up. (While Nomura is involved in the remake and created pretty much everything non gameplay about XV, thus creating a link between these projects).

Oh woops none of this has anything to do with this thread, goodbye now.
You said "betting on Square" whatever goalpost you wanna move, XIV is still Square, maybe just be more specific next time if you wanna insult people.

Also again look up what the word "bad" means.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
RE3 low 90s, FF7 low 80s.

FF7 will be dragged down by the usual JPRG bullshit, including bad voice acting (already very obvious on the trailers), nonsense story, and annoying mini games.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Huge downgrade to gore?! OO
What did they take out?

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
The original game did it, so of course it was worth doing.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE3 low 90s, FF7 low 80s.

FF7 will be dragged down by the usual JPRG bullshit, including bad voice acting (already very obvious on the trailers), nonsense story, and annoying mini games.
......the voice acting has been pretty good, everyone knows and loves FF7's story and characters, and it also probably has some of the best mini games in the series.(and Fort Condor but hey that's not in this part.)

Sep 14, 2018
Hmm, RE3 88-91, FF7 85-89. Still good but I already saw the cracks in the gameplay thanks to the demo. And I do wonder what will happen to Materia progression without random encounters.

including bad voice acting (already very obvious on the trailers).

And the demo, that Barrett monologue in the elevator needed to stay in the floor of the editing room.

Oct 31, 2017
Why does that matter again? I forget does more time to beat = better? When people complain about "incomplete game" I think they are mostly referring to wanting to see the whole story remade in one go, not referring to the very important time to beat.

Padding as a selling point... ok....

They called FFVII an "extended demo," which is hilarious because it's definitely going to be longer than RE3.

Padding? How do you know? Was it confirmed that the game will have sections where you waste a huge amount of time backtracking or running through a huge empty open world? Was it confirmed that it requires many hours of grinding to beat?

Sep 14, 2018
They called FFVII an "extended demo," which is hilarious because it's definitely going to be longer than RE3.

Of course it is going to be longer, no one is expecting different considering the original games. Like I don't know why it's considered a point in favor of FF7 to be longer than a game it's obviously going to be longer than. Yeah the jrpg is going to be longer than the by design short experience, call the press.

And no, nothing confirmed on that front, maybe I should have said "I speculate there will be padding" given what I think the sidequests will be like after XV and LR, that's all.

Oct 31, 2017
Of course it is going to be longer, no one is expecting different considering the original games. Like I don't know why it's considered a point in favor of FF7 to be longer than a game it's obviously going to be longer than. Yeah the jrpg is going to be longer than the by design short experience, call the press.

And no, nothing confirmed on that front, maybe I should have said "I speculate there will be padding" given what I think the sidequests will be like after XV and LR, that's all.

Because he called the game an extended demo. Get it through your thick skull.

Ok. So an assumption. Nothing confirmed. Have a good day

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
All current bets recorded. If I have something wrong just quote or mention me and tell me you'd like to be taken off or switch teams.

Dusk Golem is it possible to jump to the other team? I didn't really understand that I would be agreeing to the bet just by posting in this thread. But I'm game! As long as I'll be able to rep FFVII. I don't expect it to actually score better but dammit if I'm not gonna back it at anyway.
Definitely possible until around 25-6 hours from now. Switch you to Team FFVII.