• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
FF7
RE3 will get hit with good ol' "more of the same" penalty.

Still, I know it will be my most played game of the year after playing the demo.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
it is still open?

In the FF7 team.

In my predictions RE3 will have some points docked for being similar to RE2. And if i remember right the dismembering wasnt present in the tech demo, right?

In FFVII reviewers will praise the new redesigned battle system making each character unique, revisiting and expanding a classic and etc, etc, etc...

(THIS is NOT a attack to RE3, i just trying to guess how the reviewer's reaction will be)

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
RE3 feels a bit janky. Controls, camera and animations are not quite there. FFVII meanwhile feels immaculate going by the demo.

VII is gonna be the clear meta winner.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not betting my avatar because I'm a coward, but I'm #TeamFF7 in spirit. The demo is incredible. I think Square has done the impossible and delivered a remake truly worthy of the legacy.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
My heart says 7R but my brain says RE3. There will almost certainly be critics who dock points for the fact that it's a $60 Part 1/??? and justifying it by calling it an unethical practice that is bad news for the future or something to that effect.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
We're getting closer to the deadline, I might move it forward a bit with game stuff coming out and I actually think RE3's review embargo is 8 AM PST on the 31st.

But want to see if anyone else wants to get in on this before whatever window closes.

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
I think that RE3 will get better scores simply because it is a much more compact game. FF7 is supposedly 30-40 hours long rpg and there is more room for error because of that. I am personally more excited for FF7 though.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Team RE3

RE3 is maybe one of the most wanted remakes ever, meanwhile FF7 is an extended demo for $60 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
FF7. People have waited 20 years and it seems like Square Enix has done a great job.
RE3 will be great but it will be basically more of the same already seen last year with RE2. Also the original game was not even considered to be on the same level as RE2.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I do think a big thing against FF7 might be that reviewers (and players too) reach the end of the game and say "Yeah, this is 100% not a whole story", similar to the complaints of Deus Ex Mankind Divided. I'm not sure Square can make it really feel like a cohesive whole.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda hard to say. I mean, RE3 and FFVII are both pretty hyped and I'd imagine both will disappoint in some ways too. I s'pose RE3 is less likely to disappoint as much as FFVII since it's the full experience, although there will probably be more complaints that it's not different enough to a game that only came out a year ago.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After reading the RE3 leaks i would say FFVII. Plus one game was looked down inferior to its predecessor vs the other game is regarded as one of the best games ever made.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
FF7. People have waited 20 years and it seems like Square Enix has done a great job.
RE3 will be great but it will be basically more of the same already seen last year with RE2. Also the original game was not even considered to be on the same level as RE2.
After reading the RE3 leaks i would say FFVII. Plus one game was looked down inferior to its predecessor vs the other game is regarded as one of the best games ever made.
Negative comparisons of the original RE3 to RE2 were never even remotely justified, but there's no question that RE3 is nowhere near as beloved as RE2 all the same.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
We're nearing the final few days of this, I'm going to make some avatars for both in early April but others here free to submit avatars anytime for the next few weeks as well.

Oct 28, 2017
After playing the RE3 demo... yeah, no chance it's scoring higher than FF7. It feels cobbled together from another game and I think the whole Nemesis thing is going to get tedious for a lot of people.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
The review embargo for RE3 is sooner than I expected, it's lifting on the 30th, so the next three days are the last three days you can pick to join a team (or back out) before signing up for it closes!

Deleted member 62078

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2019
Argh, this is like Sophie's Choice!

I'm gonna go with FF7, my reason being I think RE3 will do well anyway, but I am praying FF7 lives up to anticipation. It'll either be a frustrating mess or an amazing first episode.

Oct 27, 2017
Not necessarily avatar betting but I think RE3 will score better despite FFVII Remake being my most anticipated game of all time and the one that I'll probably enjoy more. FF VIIR will be a much longer game that has a lot more to be critiqued in terms of pacing and content - and the Final Fantasy series has had skeptics both in the industry and amongst fans for a while now. I expect these factors to get reviewers to look a little more harshly on FF7R overall (plus the silly 'it's not a whole game' or ''this took then 20 YEARS) which are common [despite films commonly being adapted into TV shows on the flipside of media]. All of this, plus I think RE3 is gonna be fantastic and Capcom has been on a roll with their big franchises lately.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
Im curious about the avatars we will bet. Have no idea on what would be a good one for the losing team.

So waiting for people begin to post some suggestions.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
About 36 more hours to join in on this, back out, switch sides or whatever. Reviews for RE3 come in pretty soon.

Im curious about the avatars we will bet. Have no idea on what would be a good one for the losing team.

So waiting for people begin to post some suggestions.
I'll be whipping up a few in the week between RE3 & FFVII when I'm not busy crunching on them, but options for submissions I'll keep open until the 17th so we can have a week to vote on them ahead of time (and at that point though I'm giving FFVII some room for reviews since I know Square has a tendency to send late review copies and the game takes a bit to complete, we should have a kinda' decent idea at that point which way it's siding towards).

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
FF7

I want RE3 to score higher, but I feel like the nostalgia around FF7 is so strong that even if it has some missteps, it will score really damn high.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cmon y'all. FFVII RE has never been done before. Re3 is a sequel to a game released last year. Its getting swept.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comfortably FF7. A lot of people consider it their GOAT. Don't think anybody feels that way about RE3...especially as it's nowhere near as good as even RE2 or RE4. Nostalgia will play a huge role in how FF7R is reviewed and inevitably well received.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
----------Not participating----------

I'm guessing RE3, will review as good or better than REmake 2. But there's a chance that reviewers will whine about Nemesis and peg it down a notch.

FF7-R will be blamed for being padded and not being the full experience/story.

----------Not participating----------

HTonon

Mar 26, 2020
Brazil
Pretty sure I'll have more fun speedrunning RE3 than playing a part of FF7, but no doubt Final Fantasy will get the better review even if by the hype alone.

In for FF7

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If it was RE2 vs. FF7 it'd be tougher but FF7 is just such a megaton that I don't think RE3 will compete with it, which is arguably the least iconic of the original RE trilogy, even if it's a really good game, it's just not the same as having Midgar reimagined in 2020 in HD. I think the hype and anticipation will put it over the top, while RE3 will have a harder time standing out from RE2make.

Not betting, but right now I am leaning to FF7.