• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I don't have a dog in this fight as I've never played FF in my life, but my guess for RE3 is a solid 75/100 MC score. Good luck to all.

Oct 27, 2017
REmake 3 for sure.

Game is sounding like a really worthy remake so far. Aside from some things being left out, it is sounding like an improvement over REmake 2.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Production values seem bigger for FF7. But i'm voting RE because i'm a RE fan and REmake 3 won't be split into multiple games.

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I'm not trying to upset anybody however, I feel like Resident Evil 3 is the 'easier' game to remake, especially when the game is set up in a linear-ish layout as well as the development team at Capcom having already had prior experience with Resident Evil 2.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is more of a complete overhaul/reimagining, with a battle system that resemblances very little to the original game (for better or worse).

More folks are fonder towards FFVII, therefore both fans and critics alike will in all likelihood be more critical in the comparative aspects to the original — it's a fundamentally different game altogether!

The few negative aspects that may well bog Resident Evil 3 down a peg is the uninteresting 'Resistance' multiplayer mode, and for those who detested Mr. X in Resident Evil 2, they shall be even more aggrieved with Nemesis more frequent and unpredictable appearances...

Put me down for Resident Evil 3 getting a slightly more welcoming score.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
RE3 got this one in the bag. Team RE!

I'm not trying to upset anybody however, I feel like Resident Evil 3 is the 'easier' game to remake, especially when the game is set up in a linear-ish layout as well as the development team at Capcom having already had prior experience with Resident Evil 2.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is more of a complete overhaul/reimagining, with a battle system that resemblances very little to the original game (for better or worse).

More folks are fonder towards FFVII, therefore both fans and critics alike will in all likelihood be more critical in the comparative aspects to the original — it's a fundamentally different game altogether!

The few negative aspects that may well bog Resident Evil 3 down a peg is the uninteresting 'Resistance' multiplayer mode, and for those who detested Mr. X in Resident Evil 2, they shall be even more aggrieved with Nemesis more frequent and unpredictable appearances...

Put me down for Resident Evil 3 getting a slightly more welcoming score.
Pretty much how I think about it. FF7 will probably be great but it's going to be more polarising among fans compared to RE3.

Munba

Oct 27, 2017
RE3, because FF7R is a much more "difficult" task to execute (and to please everyone).

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I'm lowkey wanting to suggest a FF7R Carbuncle avatar for RE3 peeps if they lose.

But I am not that cruel.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think VII Remake is gonna be lambasted because many people going into the game are going to complain how it ends as it's not the full story. I expect Jason Schreier's preview article on the game to be the consensus for the game.

I think RE3make is gonna review better, even if in the long term I think VII Remake might be better received than RE2/RE3 remakes, when all parts are released. That's what makes this complicated: I don't think VII Remake Volume/Part I of X will review better than RE3make, but I think when the whole thing is done, it will be seen as the better thing.

Team Resident Evil 3

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its literally apples to oranges, things dont always have to be better or worse than each other. I dont get the fascination with this.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
Final Fantasy VII Remake FOR SURE. Add me to the list. The easiest avatar bet in ResetERA history. Let's mosey.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 3 is going for that 92 MC! Book It!

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy VII Remake will be the greatest game i'll play al year due to nostalgia. The reviewers will not agree. Sign me up for RE3.

Oct 27, 2017
I reckon FFVII has a much harder task with a higher potential to mess it up and divide the audience, whereas Resi 3 just has to build on the excellent Resi 2 from last year. So for that reason I think Resi 3 will win this easily. I reckon it'll be high 80s to low 90s, whereas FFVII will probably be in the low-mid 80s. I also think the fact that FFVII is only a partial remake will piss some people off too.

I don't have a dog in this fight as I've never played FF in my life, but my guess for RE3 is a solid 75/100 MC score. Good luck to all.

??? Resi 2 Remake last year got like a 91 on Metacritic on this looks very similar and even better in some regards. It'll be within a few percent of the same score, whether that is higher or lower.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I reckon FFVII has a much harder task with a higher potential to mess it up and divide the audience, whereas Resi 3 just has to build on the excellent Resi 2 from last year. So for that reason I think Resi 3 will win this easily. I reckon it'll be high 80s to low 90s, whereas FFVII will probably be in the low-mid 80s. I also think the fact that FFVII is only a partial remake will piss some people off too.

??? Resi 2 Remake last year got like a 91 on Metacritic on this looks very similar and even better in some regards. It'll be within a few percent of the same score, whether that is higher or lower.

More of the same could be a critic RE3 gets, I for sure didn't see the same excitement for it than for RE2 when it was revealed.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It'll be RE3. The FF7 Remake is going to have too much cut content to be highly reviewed. I imagine people saying "it's good, but it needs more".

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm not even sure how good RE3 will even be. It not being made by an internal team has got me a little bit concerned.

FFVIIR has nostalgia going for and against it. Some reviewers will like the changes and other reviewers won't.

Both games look good though.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Neither goes above 84 metascore.

RE3 will be panned for linearized design and hamstringing the player compared to RE2
FFVII will be panned for dated voice perforamances and corny story moments and the fact that it's artificially dragged out as a full game that only contains act 1 of the original game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It's a given that reviewers are going to bring up the episodic thing, whether or not they lower their scores because of it is a question mark, if I had to put money on it tho...I think they do.
I think it will be less the principle that the original game is remade into chunks that are fully priced and more that Square Enix will not justify the game length with the additions and filler they invitably insert, that makes it a less magical journey.

Oct 25, 2017
I think RE3 will have a more consistent review score from critics and users.

I can see FF7R getting user score blasted down to 7.0 or even 6.5. Critics are gonna sing it praises but the users will be vocal about changes.

Nezacant

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, they are both going to do well... Put me down for Resident Evil...

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not doing any bets, but my reasoning is we have a duel between series fatigue (third RE entry in four years) and episodic release, or, alternatively, this Part One of a bigger story failing to justify its existence as a full game (let's hope not). I see both of them scoring very high, 86-91 range; I'd bet for RE 3, as long as the multiplayer section takes reviewers by surprise. In addition, though I started by using that argument, RE seems one of the few series out there that people can't get enough of it, probably because every damn entry is pretty good.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, with FF VII ending up higher: it looks, sounds and plays great. The key question is how inspired and cohesive feels everything else. They have a winner in their hands, either way.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
they both will get generic 85-93 scores. FF7R has more nostalgia power so i'm going with that one.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly I'll never learn, so in for FF7 Remake.

I think the fact that RE3 is just one year after RE2 will hurt it just a little bit.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
RE3 easily. I detest FF7, but I recognize how beloved the original game is. Way more than the original RE3. Any divergence in the plot, characters, or any aspect is really going to get slammed hard from various FF7 lovers. Not to mention this isn't even the full FF7 experience, which is no doubt going to play a part in some people's critique of the game.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
With RE3 I'm getting a full game whole FF7 is only one part of a Trilogy