• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So we're at an interesting period two pretty notable video game remakes release a week apart. Comparisons between the two are almost inevitable even if they're apples and oranges because of their close proximity. And the idea creeped into my head maybe it'd be a good time to get an avatar bet thread rolling.

FFVIIvsRE3.png

On April 24th, two weeks after Final Fantasy VII releases, which game do you think will have the higher Metacritic? Final Fantasy VII or Resident Evil 3? Final Fantasy VII is a beloved classic by many, how will the remake hold up for critics for a modernized example of the first part of the game? Resident Evil 3 is following the highly successful Resident Evil 2, will it perform as well, surpass or fall short to that?

IF Final Fantasy VII Remake gets a better Metacritic score than Resident Evil 3 by 8 AM PST on April 24th, people on Team Resident Evil 3 will have to wear an avatar voted for by fellow ERA users for three weeks.

IF Resident Evil 3 REmake gets a better Metacritic score than Final Fantasy VII by 8 AM PST on April 24th, people on Team Final Fantasy VII will have to wear an avatar voted for by fellow ERA users for three weeks.

IF both result in a tie, I'll use OpenCritic to decide which one is the winner. In the unlikely event both Metacritic and OpenCritic show the same scores for both, then everyone wins and no one has to change their avatar.

Bets will close on midnight March 29th, a bit before RE3 launches. Results will be determined again on April 24th and people will have to keep the avatar until May 9th. People may freely submit options to be the avatar up until March 29th, after which I'll select a few and have users vote from the few I selected from both sides. ANYONE can submit an avatar, but only people partaking in the bet can vote on the avatar for the other team. (don't worry, I'll take options people really like into the selection) and vote somewhere between RE3 & FFVII's releases.

So, who wants to take the bet, Era?

(I'll take you sharing your opinion as part of the bet, unless you clarify you don't want to take part of the bet in the post. That said, if I add you and you don't want part, DM me and I'll take you off if you ask before March 29th.)

Team Final Fantasy VII:
exstuhsey
Stygr
HenryEen
Simon-chan
Richardi
eXistor
Yuntu
Caio Loco
thepenguin55
Gradon
Bad Vibes Dio
jordannhowe
Totallydied
Mabec
Foffy
Mariusz
salary0n
MegaSackman
CharGP02A
A New Beginning
Dachhase
Son of Sparda
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Bansai
stangthang26
henhowc
Japanmanx3
ZeldaGalaxy94
KernelC
Bruceleeroy
eso76
Korigama
Rhaknar
PAFenix
ZaChzOOming
TheChungusAmongUs
Jawbreaker
Boy
Jiggy
MetalicSand
MetalicSand
Fabtacular
Kwigo
kennyamr
Nayeon
LowParry
Spoo
Sub Boss
RROCKMAN
-Le Monde-
Arcana Wiz
Baccus
smashman98
BBboy20
chris-013
Nama
Elios83
Chaserjoey
Gunslinger
unicornKnight
FCMaxi
nelsonroyale
CaLe
Stalker
sowasred2012
The Masked Mufti
Haribo
MrS
Sega Dreamcast
HTonon
draculabyte
KingBae
Mattersnotnow
Nakenorm
sPAw1
Decarb
Zebezian-X
Sephiroth
ultima786
Tofer
Skulldead
Malakiax
LordDraven
Gum
Oheao
Duty
Virtualoso
Heyrule
McScroggz
Blade Wolf
A2Z90
Noctis
FantasticMrSnake
Alienous
Z'ard
Drwu
HypedBulborb
Prefty
Ankit Gaba
hussien-11

Team Resident Evil 3:

Dusk Golem
Kuno898
Lego Killer Moth
Dark_Chris
manustany
Lunatic
Master Chuuster
Kinsei
Fruitster
Roadhou5e
Scotia
NightShift
Neoshockwave
Deku_o4a
PC90
silva1991
Couscous
Kureizu
texhnolyze
Ogs
hanmik
Ebtesam
Hamo
Richter1887
Hate
Sargerus
Peek-a-boo!
_Malus_
Tace
Hong
Munba
SnatcherHunter
WrenchNinja
taggen86
Landford
MickZan
Triggerhappytel
RyuCookingSomeRice
Scrawnton
Not Spaceghost
Mirage
Nezacant
Lobster Roll
Holygriever
Vengeance
Escaflow
Blacki138
hydro94530
Phantom
kaebie
MatthiasHjalmarsson
Mezoly
fontguy
Noise
Wireframe
EisKonig
duder92
-Le Monde-
litebrite
Canas Renvall
Jaymageck
Charles Alan Ratliff
VanCityGamer
Mr_Zombie
DrDeckard
VodkaFX
Valkerion
cyberevan017
alundra311
thatmustbyogurt
Chaystic
Hilarious_Bearious
TRUE ORDER
Zaki2407
Ctrl Alt Del
asd202
GlitchyDegree
Gunny T Highway
Pein
McBryBry
AllThingsPurple
zoabs
Professor Beef
Prine
No Depth
Aswitch
Talos
Tofer
Okabe
giancarlo123x
Rowsdower
mindsale
Xclusion
Pyro
Anabolex
Necromorph
Konosuke
Mona
h0tp0ck3t
Kieli
Colocho
jukeboxhero2396
Leveean
DeoGame
Demon Lizardman
dimeo32
VaporSnake
Caiops
HairyFist87
Mars People
SlipperyFishes
Manhunter
Horned Reaper
almendrabl
SubvertedTrope

Oct 25, 2017
RE3

Edit: my reasoning is that the original FF7 is a lot more beloved than the original RE3. Any changes from the original FF7 will have a higher chance of angering reviewers, whereas most reviewers won't care or notice changes from the original RE3. Many of them likely won't have even played the original RE3. It'll just be like a cool new game to a lot of people.

Last edited:

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
RE3 purely because it's way easier to do right.

edit: i am regret

Last edited:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Re3 because it's a tps. Not entirely joking either.
Not to mention that we already know how well re2 scored.
Both should be absolutely amazing though.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
RE3 for sure, problem is I am already under another avatar bet with the moderation from the next gen thread, so I dont think I can join on this one.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my, the early votes are a lot more one-sided than I was expecting. This should play out a bit interestingly, especially when it's not early hours in the US.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Count me out of the bet, I'm a coward that can't let go of my frog for three whole weeks. I've had some... bad experiences with avatar bets in the past, and that was just on Discord.

But I think FF7R will score higher.

I just want both games to be amazing and get 90+

Oct 26, 2017
I think FF7R due to nostalgia factor.

RE3 will score good, but OG RE3 was never highly regarded like RE2 in the first place so i don't expect a very high score.
And with RE3 coming 12 months after RE2 and being the same game structure wise i do expect reviewers complaining about "more of the same".

FF7R will score 91-92 while RE3 will score 86-89

Last edited:

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
RE3 will be higher - I think FF7 will be knocked for not being the full game and having a lot of filler content/ duplicated assets.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
RE3 will score lower than RE2, almost assuredly.
I'm on team FFVIIR.
Edit: I'm just sharing my opinion, I don't want to take part in the bet.

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
My gut says that RE3 will score lower than RE2 (it's just generally a less ambitious game) but still higher than FFVII. I think FFVII will get nailed a lot for everything it will be missing, and it's been so eagerly anticipated for literal decades that I think it will be almost impossible for it to live up to the hype.

I have a blanket rule against participating in bets like this, though, for secret reasons.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Not having played RE3 before I still think it's gonna FFVIIR. RE3 doesn't exactly have that great a reputation to begin with (it's the only one I haven't played btw, it just didn't look very good at the time) and FFVII is this legendary game. As a remake, FFVIIR to me doesn't look that good (it looks to divert too far from the original in various ways) but people are gonna go nuts for it anyway. Some cooler heads will prevail and view it for what I think it's gonna be (I'd love to be proven wrong btw, FFVII was my favorite game of all time for quite a few years), but I think on the whole people are gonna go nuts for it for the simple fact that it's a FFVII remake. It doesn't matter that it's literally just 1/10th of the full game.

RE3 is gonna score a respectable 80-85 and FFVIIR will be 87-92

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I really don't know. Both look equally fantastic but both carry a lot of high expectations. However as a RE fan, I vote for the game I like almost certainly like more.

Edit: Eh, fuck it. I'll take the avatar bet. I've been meaning to change mine anyway.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I think VII has a lot more to lose than RE3, so my expectation is that the latter would review better. But I'm not gonna bet my avatar on it :')

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not making a bet but I do feel that RE3 will score better simply because it's a complete experience. I feel like some reviews will remove a few points off FFVIIR simply because the whole game was sliced up six ways till Sunday and nobody knows how many time we will end up having to buy more FFVIIR before the complete PS1 experience is fully remade.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
The lack of news is getting out of hands.

I don't bet anything, I say RE3 should get more. Now, anything can happen.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny because if this was the FF7 remake part 1 vs the RE2 remake then I think RE2 remake would easily take it. I'll be shocked if the RE3 remake gets a higher metacritic score than RE2 (even if the end product is better).

RE3 is a remake of a game that was divisive back in the day (let alone now) so I wouldn't be shocked if there was far less nostalgia for it among reviewers. I could see it being criticized for having less single player content than RE2 did (even at launch). I think many reviewers will come away frustrated with Nemesis. I could see reviewers not liking the action tone of it as much as RE2. I see reviewers not liking Resistance.

The main things I see with FF7 are: there will be WAY nostalgia for this game among reviewers than there was for RE3 (which could work against it). People not being fans of certain encounters or segments being longer than needed. People being annoyed that it's part 1.

Having said that, I'm expecting FF7 to get the better score even though I know I'll enjoy RE3 more (just more my style of game).

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
it´s not like I will miss this avatar anyway...

but RE3 will be the highest scoring game.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm voting for FF7R actually.

For many reasons, but I expect reviewers to have a been there done that feel with RE3 after RE2 last year.

Also FF7 is one of the most well regarded classics ever, I don't see how it could score lower than remake of a less popular RE game, even if I expect RE3make to be amazing.

Here's my contribution for a potential avatar should RE3 get the better MC score

20200302_111103.png

lmao this wouldn't even make much difference for me hahaha.

Hamo

Feb 16, 2019
I think RE3 will just edge it out. 90/100 for RE3 and 88/100 for FF7. RE2 scored high and from what I've seen RE3 is looking better or at the very least the same quality, though I think a few points could be docked due to similarity. I think just being Midgar will end up going against FF7 and might see a few reviewers dock it points for not being the full experience. I think it could go either way but Resident Evil 3 gets my vote.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Please don't make the avatar some hideous cartoon character that looks like it was drawn in paint this time

I expect RE3R to be reviewed more on its own merits as a game than FFVII will be

Oct 26, 2017
UK
FF7

I expect it to hit low 90s
RE3 will be high 80s

For the record I have never played FF7 and am only interested on RE3 of these 2 games but FF7 the nostalgia is to strong

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
It's a given that reviewers are going to bring up the episodic thing, whether or not they lower their scores because of it is a question mark, if I had to put money on it tho...I think they do.

My gut and my brain are saying go with RE3, but fuck it dude put me on that FF7R list.