• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which publisher's output are you most looking forward to next year?

• Nintendo (Breath of the Wild 2, Animal Crossing, No More Heroes III, etc.)

Votes: 145 28.7%
  • Sony (Dreams, The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, etc.)

Votes: 222 44.0%
  • Microsoft (Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Halo Infinite, Hellblade 2: Senua's Saga, etc.)

Votes: 75 14.9%
  • Ubisoft (Gods & Monsters, Watch Dogs 3, Rainbow Six Quarantine, etc.)

Votes: 8 1.6%
  • Square Enix (Final Fantasy VII, Marvel's Avengers, Outriders, etc.)

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • Sega (Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Humankind, Sonic at the Olympic Games, etc.)

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 28 5.5%

• Total voters

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks when you aspire actually profound and inspiring concepts but you produce shallow things like "Robot Dinosaur RPG" and "The Road: The Game" and Death Stranding.

...Okay, I don't hate TLoU or DS (I do hate Horizon), or God of War, but it's so obvious to me that they greenlight those gameplay prototypes based on what delivers the best trailer material and the best cinematic content with much less care for how innovative or engaging they are simply to play. All Sony's releases except maybe Days Gone have been absolutely on par with the standard for streamlined Third- and First Person gameplay formats... but it's all so derivative too. Nothing Sony's first parties did this gen is on par with what Zelda did with the Far Cry ideas or what Microsoft's used to do with Halo for the shooter. Sony used to greenlight weirder games and huge variety of concepts in the PS3 days even, but this gen everything fits into their 'box' of "cinematic, marketable, artistically sophisticated" crap.
Looking at their lineup for next year how does Dreams, Predator, Mlb: the show or Iron Man VR fit exactly into that? Most of the games Sony publishes are not "cinematic, marketable, artistically sophisticated" which btw seems to be some of the best critically and commercially successful games on the market.

This year they had stuff like Concrete genie, medievil and everybody's golf VR but that don't count and DS and Days Gone do? You're confusing big games that sells a lot with what Sony actually puts out. Just because their 1-2 action adventure games takes the spot light every year doesn't mean they don't publish anything else.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I want to say Sony, but since it feels like I haven't seen a decent game from Ubisoft this year and I used to love their output, I'll go with Ubisoft.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
BOTW2 will consume me if it makes it but I'm not ruling out a push to 2021 yet. Actually if all Nintendo's undated games (BOTW2, Prime 4, Bayo 3) made it they'd effortlessly sweep 2020.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Nintendo, as I expect BotW and some other big games to launch next year.

Sony has TLOU II, which is one of my most anticipated games, but I don't care about Dreams and Ghost that much. Maybe they have something big for Ps5 launch, but I can say the same about Microsoft.

SE will have FF VII and Bravely II, which can be great, but I don't trust them to release something special.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Surprisingly, Microsoft.

Ori, Wasteland 3, Gears Tactics, Halo Infinite, MCC PC releases, Tell Me Why, Psychonauts 2, AOE3DE, Flight Simulator - all straight into my veins.

If Bethesda can release Ghostwire Tokyo, DOOM Eternal, and Deathloop in 2020, that could be a strong contender as well.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Microsoft. As much as I'm looking forward to Last of Us 2, the sheer amount of variety led by Halo, Ori, Wasteland 3 and Gears Tactics is pretty crazy coming from one publisher.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
Nintendo - If Breath of the Wild 2 comes out jesus fuck how will I find the time. Animal Crossing is always dope.

Sony - The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, these have been top of my lists for awhile. Ghosts has dropped off some just because they don't show more and their open worlds haven't been the best(I love the infamous games but those worlds had nothing to do in them).

Microsoft - If Ori and the Will of the Wisps is half as good as the first one it'll be amazing. Halo Infinite will really make or break MS, Hellblade 2: Senua's Saga never played the first, I need to, but hard to be hyped when I don't have a reference point.

Ubisoft - Watch Dogs 3 looks really cool. Reminds me of State of Decay with the survivors, but by a competent developer.

Square Enix - Less hyped for Final Fantasy VII because I'm iffy on the splitting up of the game. Marvel's Avengers ehhh.

CD Projekt might win it all for me with just one game.

Probably Sony just because I feel most of their 2020 was supposed to be 2019. So the hype build has been for longer.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony, not a question. Cyberpunk 2077 is my most-anticipated single game but Sony's lineup for next year is killer, best in the industry of any publisher.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I could equally say fire emblem and xenoblade and stuff like that is waifu hentai bait covered with rpg mechanics, but I don't. It's just different tastes. It doesn't mean games are bad.
Well, come on now, that's not Nintendo's image, but rather it speaks to that missing variety I ascribe to Sony.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Well, come on now, that's not Nintendo's image, but rather it speaks to that missing variety I ascribe to Sony.
That's fair. They just want to focus on what is the most popular. They tried with some stuff like gravity rush and the games bombed. No different to nintendo dropping series that don't do good.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
They tried with some stuff like gravity rush and the games bombed. No different to nintendo dropping series that don't do good.
I dunno. Gravity Rush didn't seem like a game that got the most support or budget either. Sony has been ignoring its japanese roots since the fall of the Vita. it's Sony over-concentrating on what they believe is the future, which is these "cinematic, artistic" games because TLoU1 was a record-breaking new IP launch that they think they can mimic.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. Gravity Rush didn't seem like a game that got the most support or budget either. Sony has been ignoring its japanese roots since the fall of the Vita. it's Sony over-concentrating on what they believe is the future, which is these "cinematic, artistic" games because TLoU1 was a record-breaking new IP launch that they think they can mimic.
Well GoW and Horizon were huge hits. Uncharted always was. Days gone slightly less but still really big. You can't blame them when it seems like the majority wants this. I'm not a fan of jrpgs and style action games, so a lot of nintendo stuff does nothing for me. Just how it goes.

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima finally won me over with last nights trailer. That plus Dreams plus TLOU2 makes 2020 a strong Sony year for me.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2, Ghost and Dreams is hard to top next year.
Valve is second for Half-Life: Alyx alone but we will probably see more VR games from them (L2D VR?)

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us 2 is out next year. Enough said? ...Well, almost. Ghost of Tsushima is also out next year, as well as Dreams and FF7R. Sony is going to close out the generation really strong. The Last of Us 2's previews and hands on impressions had everyone drooling.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I'm looking forward to exactly one game from each of those lists. So I have no idea how to vote...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
To lay out everyone's current announced 2020+ console lineups in the poll to get an idea of the possibilities:

Nintendo
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons (NSW)
  • Bayonetta 3 (NSW)
  • Bravely Default II (NSW) west
  • Detective Pikachu title (NSW)
  • Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch (NSW)
  • Famicom Detective Club remake (NSW)
  • Famicom Detective Club Part II remake (NSW)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild sequel (NSW)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (NSW)
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (NSW)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (NSW)
Sony Interactive Entertainment
  • Dreams (PS4)
  • Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)
  • The Last of Us Part II (PS4)
  • Marvel's Iron Man VR (PS4)
  • MLB: The Show 20 PS4)
  • Nioh 2 (PS4) west
  • Patapon 2 Remastered (PS4)
  • Predator: Hunting Grounds (PS4)
  • Wild (PS4)
Xbox Game Studios
  • Battletoads (XBO)
  • Bleeding Edge (XBO)
  • CrossfireX (XBO)
  • Drake Hollow (XBO)
  • Everwild (XBO)
  • Gears Tactics (XBO)
  • Grounded (XBO)
  • Halo Infinite (XBO/XSX)
  • Hellblade II: Senua's Saga (XSX)
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator (XBO)
  • Minecraft Dungeons (NSW/PS4/XBO)
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps (XBO)
  • Psychonauts 2 (PS4/XBO)
  • Samurai Gunn 2 (NSW)
  • Tell Me Why (XBO)
Ubisoft
  • Gods & Monsters (NSW/PS4/XBO)
  • Roller Champions (PS4/XBO)
  • Skull & Bones (PS4/XBO)
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Quarantine (PS4/XBO)
  • Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4/XBO)
Square Enix (inc. Taito)
  • Bravely Default II (NSW) JP
  • Bubble Bobble 4 Friends (NSW)
  • Darius Cozmic Collection (NSW/PS4)
  • Dragon Quest Monsters title (TBA)
  • Circuit Superstars (NSW/PS4/XBO)
  • Dying Light 2 (PS4/XBO)
  • Fear Effect Reinvented (NSW/PS4/XBO)
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4)
  • Final Fantasy XIV Online (XBO)
  • Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition (NSW/PS4)
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.8 Remix (XBO)
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (XBO)
  • Marvel's Avengers (PS4/XBO)
  • Outriders (PS4/XBO)
  • Space Invaders Invincible Collection (NSW)
  • Trials of Mana (NSW/PS4)
Sega (inc. Atlus)
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (PS4)
  • Bayonetta & Vanquish 10th Anniversay Bundle (PS4/XBO)
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Diva MegaMix (NSW)
  • Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Videogame (NSW/PS4)
  • Persona 5 Royal (PS4)
  • Persona Scramble: The Phantom Strikers (NSW/PS4)
  • Phantasy Star Online 2 (XBO)
  • Project Re: Fantasy (TBA)
  • Project Sakura Wars (PS4)
  • Sega Ages Fantasy Zone (NSW)
  • Sega Ages G-LOC: Air Battle (NSW)
  • Sega Ages Herzog Zwei (NSW)
  • Sega Ages Puyo Puyo 2 (NSW)
  • Sega Ages Shinobi (NSW)
  • Sega Ages Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (NSW)
  • Sega Ages Thunder Force AC (NSW)
  • Shin Megami Tensei V (NSW)
  • Two Point Hospital (NSW/PS4/XBO)
  • Yakuza 0 (XBO)
  • Yakuza 5 Remaster (PS4)
  • Yakuza Kiwami (XBO)
  • Yakuza Kiwami 2 (XBO)
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS4)
Capcom
  • Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (NSW)
  • Mega Man Zero / ZX Collection (NSW/PS4/XBO)
  • Resident Evil 3 (PS4/XBO)
  • Resident Evil Resistance (PS4/XBO)

Quick note but Wasteland 3 is published by Deep Silver rather than XBGS. Presumably it's filling out their contract, like The Outer Worlds with 2K/Private Division.

edit: added consoles for clarification and Capcom since they were mentioned a lot.

Last edited:

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
There is so much unknown about the next holiday season that this question is almost impossible to answer.

Right now It's Square. (FFVIIR, Kingdom Hearts Remind, Bravely II, Dying Light II) then Ubisoft (Watchdogs Legion)

Just need Sony/Nintendo to actually announce their big games

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Looking forward to sony, ms and ubisoft next year most. I dont think botw2 will hit 2020

You dont play sonys smaller games that are different to the ones you listed. The bigger marketing budgets go to stuff that will potentially sell really well. Apart from dumb platform war baiting here try more of their games than third person ones action adventure ones? If people were as reductive as you they would say all nintendo has been creating are mario titles where you have been jumping around the same for decades or its the same guy hero in green suit with a sword trying to save his princess story... How stupid that sounds you realize that?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Which one is publishing the sequel to the game of last generation?

That one.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has a sequel to arguably my favourite metroidvania in Ori and the Will of the Wisps, yet another potentially fascinating game from Dontnod with Tell Me Why and Gears XCOM so it's them by an absolute mile.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to sony, ms and ubisoft next year most. I dont think botw2 will hit 2020

You dont play sonys smaller games that are different to the ones you listed. The bigger marketing budgets go to stuff that will potentially sell really well. Apart from dumb platform war baiting here try more of their games than third person ones action adventure ones? If people were as reductive as you they would say all nintendo has been creating are mario titles where you have been jumping around the same for decades or its the same guy hero in green suit with a sword trying to save his princess story... How stupid that sounds you realize that?
I agree they're being overly reductive on Sony, but even if you only pay attention to tentpoles you'll probably find more general diversity at Nintendo.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft. They do so many different types of games these days that even if you only care about half of them, there's still much to celebrate. For me Gears Tactics (single player focused and with no microtransactions!), Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Psychonauts 2, Wasteland 3 and Tell Me Why is a great line-up. I'm also intrigued by the new Battletoads and I wanna know more about Rare's new title, even though I expect it to be co-op/multiplayer and service focused, which would equal no interest at all.

All would change though, if Nintendo announces a new mainline Mario game (2D or 3D). Then that would immediately shoot to the top of my most wanted list.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really say just 1 publisher, because the games I'm looking for are spread out across multiple publishers:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore Edition
Persona 5 Royal (already preordered)
Bravely Default II

I'd promised myself I'd only buy 4 games this year, and I find that my list of exceptions to that rule (because no way am I going to miss out on buying a CE if I want it) keeps getting longer and longer. And the thing is, all three of those are games I'm REALLY hyped for.

Paradox

Crusader Kings III is gonna be my game of forever, lol.

Oh look it happened again LOL. Man, I forgot about CK3 somehow... 2020 is going to be a beast of a year...

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Microsoft I guess, with Wasteland, Halo, and Hellblade 2 if that's out 2020

Sega if they announce Total Warhammer 3 for next year.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix had a great generation, but i think they can be even better next gen, they'll be in a better position to make more mainline games from their premiere franchises

Imagine if we get

The FFVIIR trilogy finished
A mainline FF game (and maybe a sequel to it)
2 mainline DQ games
2 mainline KH games
2 mainline Nier games

That would be a dream, obviously there's development problems that could arise, or they could focus their attention on MMOinstead of single player entries, or go the GaaS route and focus on 1 game instead of attempting to make sequels.

But i have high hopes.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I would say Nintendo if I had any confidence that BotW2 is a 2020 title, but I don't. I think Nintendo will be quiet next year but come back with a big 2021.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't own an Xbox but it's gonna be really cool to see how Ori and Hellblade turn out. They both look really great.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta go Sony, because the mystery of the unknown (PS5) is always strongly compelling, the PS4 is the console I currently have, and of the games listed in the poll, Dreams and Tsushima are more interesting than duos offered by other publishers.

Last edited:

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda: DOOM Eternal, Ghostwire Tokyo, Deathloop, and the potential Starfield

DOOM Eternal is the only game I am heavily anticipating and getting day one.