• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Who do you think was the most consistent in quality this gen after you average out the highest highs and lowest lows?

I'd consider giving it to Capcom. They finished pretty strong in the 2nd half

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
FromSoftware. Banger after banger with no end in sight.

bb-banner-460x215.jpg

VxLidQe.png

5605.jpg

Publisher-wise: Bethesda Softworks

header.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

Prey_Profile_Image.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Bethesda had Dishonored 2, Prey, DOOM 16 and DOOM Eternal.

Capcom had RE2, RE7, MHW, MM11 and DMC 5.

I'd say both Bethesda and Capcom

Oct 25, 2017
Dev: From Software (Bloodbone, DS3, Sekiro)

Publisher: Sony (Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, The Last Guardian, Horizon, Resogun, Driveclub, Uncharted The Lost Legacy, God of War, Gran Turismo Sport, Dreams, Astro Bot)

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Its between Nintendo and Sony for me. I still count Switch as part of the PS4 gen.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nintendo, as yooj.
annapurna has also been an excellent publisher considering how new they are. they rarely miss.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo put out like 20 games last year and were still amongst the highest ranking publishers on MC. Can't really compete with that on quantity and quality. A lot of publishers already mentioned ITT have years where they only release half a dozen games and not even good ones at that.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Its between Fromsoftware and Capcom for me. Fromsoftware is more consistent and Capcoms output is wildly varied so ill give it to Capcom since yes they had a very strong 2nd half.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Larian Studios created the best (or if you prefer, most innovative) RPG of the decade twice in a row, with Divinity: Original Sin and its sequel. I feel obligated to recognise them for such monumentous success.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Publisher: Nintendo, honestly not even close. Wasn't a fan of Sony's output in general with Bloodborne and The Last Guardian being the major exceptions.

Developer probably goes to FromSoft.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Developer- CDPRED. Witcher 3 is my game of the gen (closely followed by Age of Empires 2 HD), so enough said.

Publisher- Focus Home Interactive bankrolled a ton of really varied games that all had something interesting to them. Dunno if they're objectively "the best", but they are certainly the most interesting publisher this gen. The Council, Vampyr, Plague Tale, GreedFall, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada games, The Surge Games, Callo of Cthulhu, Anima: Gate of memories, The Technomancer, World War Z, Seasons after the Fall, Shiness: the lightning Kingdom, the Styx games... I don't think there's another publisher who can boast such a variety of solid, albeit not all amazing titles.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, on the dev front it is quite easy with the answer being FromSoft. I don't think any other dev team matches their output with how much quality each title has.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Hard to argue against From as a dev........and Sony's games speak for themselves this gen with TLOU Pt.II and Ghost of Tsushima still to come,crazy stuff!
I really think Sony may struggle to match their output from this gen on PS5.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Sony took a giant leap in my book this gen. Always owned PlayStation consoles but I never found them among the absolute top publishers in the biz. Not just the big titles but many less talked about games were fantastic too: Blood & Truth, Déraciné, Gravity Rush 2, Concrete Genie, Tearaway, Until Dawn + Rush of Blood, Ratchet & Clank 2016 (which essentially is a new game), No Heroes Allowed VR and Shadow of the Beast. All great games and many of them fairly unique too.

The Capcom comeback has been absolutely insane too and Bethesda started the gen very strongly. FromSoft also continues to deliver the industry's absolute best games.

Those are the absolute standouts to me. Plenty of great games from others too though.

Edit: gotta say Microsoft deserves a shoutout too. They revolutionized the Arcade Racing genre with the Forza Horizon series, they released two of the absolute best Metroidvanias with Ori and they made the most fun open world super hero game this gen in Sunset Overdrive. Gears and Halo also continued with solid entries and they have a few gems like ReCore, Quantum Break and Dead Rising 3.

Last edited:

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Best Developer? I'd give it to FromSoft. Dark Souls 2 and Scholar of the First Sin, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro. All excellent games.

Best Publisher? Sony, pretty easily. Death Stranding. Bloodborne. Horizon: Zero Dawn. Spider-Man. God of War. Uncharted 4. Detroit: Become Human. The Last of Us 2. Dreams. The GT games. Until Dawn. Hopefully Ghosts of Tsushima will belong on this list. Plus there are other games (Ratchet and Clank, inFamous: Second Son, etc.).

Second Choice is Capcom for developer and Bethesda for publisher, although that last one feels wrong because some of the lows are so damn low it feels disqualifying.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Nintendo, Sony and somehow Bethesda.. From does great work but doesn't really translate to sales or "output"...

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
Sony, Nintendo and Devolver Digital for best publisher. They each offer something different so I can't say one is better than the other.

Developer: whichever dev team makes the Assassin's Creed games (Ubisoft I guess).

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Hard for me to argue against Sony as best publisher of the generation. Dozens of great games, multiple GOTY contenders, established IP, new IP, they really crushed it.

Developer is more of a discussion but it's probably down to either From or Capcom.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Publisher: nintendo, ubisoft, sony and bethesda they really knocked it out of the park this generation

Dev: Capcom. (They're back....(baby))

Oct 27, 2017
Sony and Nintendo for publisher - Sony especially because it really feels like their published games as a whole took a step up this generation in quality and in sales.

Devs: Not a huge fan of From games but they have put out consistently quality titles this generation. Naughty Dog as well if they manage to nail TLoU2 will have had quality content throughout as well (even if their approach to UC4 is somewhat divisive).