• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I did not make a poll because there are way too many games that excel at some areas and not in others and quite a few that haven't been released yet (and after a certain point you can't add more games whereas here you can) but collectively, I think the following games will be leading the pack:

- GoW
- HZD
- TLOU2
- RDR2
- Death Stranding
- Ghost of Tsushima
- The Order

Of course we have other powerhouses such as Spiderman, RE2R, FF7R and the list goes on.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019
How does this not even get a mention?

tumblr_oynarnT4Zr1rbijdfo6_500.gif

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
-purely visual/animation : TLoU2
-best looking open world game : RDR2/Ghost of Tsushima (need to see more of this though)
-personal favorite including the artstyle: FF7R

Oct 29, 2017
At this point they are close enough that I think people's choices will be like 70% based on the settings they find more appealing and art direction. Like when you like the look of a film more than another because you like forests and mountains more than sunsets or deserts. Graphics are good enough to let your preferences be the decisive factor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
banshee150

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
At this point they are close enough that I think people's choices will be like 70% based on the settings they find more appealing and art direction. Like when you like the look of a film more than another because you like forests and mountains more than sunsets or deserts,
True. I personally love how FF7R is coming along and not a big fan of the setting of TLOU2

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be surprised at this point of Ghost makes it out on PS4 they've been very quiet on that game for a while now.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still think The Order looks absolutely incredible though some may have surpassed it. TLOU2 will likely be above the rest due to late gen + not open world.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Does AC Odyssey not look very good on PS4? I have it on PC and it's pretty spectacular (as was Origins). My vote would go to RDR2 regardless; the ambiance in that game is like nothing else I've ever seen in an open world. I'm not considering titles that aren't released yet, but Ghost of Tsushima or TLOU2 could certainly have an argument when they're released.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
RDR2 as a whole is the most impressive game on either console don't fucking @ me.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does AC Odyssey not look very good on PS4? I have it on PC and it's pretty spectacular (as was Origins). My vote would go to RDR2 regardless; the ambiance in that game is like nothing else I've ever seen in an open world. I'm not considering titles that aren't released yet, but Ghost of Tsushima or TLOU2 could certainly have an argument when they're released.
They do look amazing but issue is animation clipping with Assasin creeds I feel.like clothes clipping or moving through surfaces .other than that they r amazing looking

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Uncharted 4 is still in the running, which is fucking insane
Artistically for sure. But I recently revisited it and it looks a little dated now from a technical standpoint compared to the more recent games in the OP. The low res shadows in particular really let it down as that's something that's improved a lot in other Sony FP games and seems quite jarring now.

Personally I have to give a nod to Spider-Man. What Insomniac accomplished with their engine was insane. Climbing to the top of the Empire State, that massive draw distance, still seeing the cars moving on the ground, the lighting at sunset.. wow. And then you leap back down to the ground and it still totally holds up and looks great close up.

OP
OP
banshee150

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Artistically for sure. But I recently revisited it and it looks a little dated now from a technical standpoint compared to the more recent games in the OP. The low res shadows in particular really let it down as that's something that's improved a lot in other Sony FP games and seems quite jarring now.

Personally I have to give a nod to Spider-Man. What Insomniac accomplished with their engine was insane. Climbing to the top of the Empire State, that massive draw distance, still seeing the cars moving on the ground, the lighting at sunset.. wow. And then you leap back down to the ground and it still totally holds up and looks great close up.
Yeah I can't wait to see what they will do with the sequel.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I don't think anything has surpassed RDR2 for me… maybe Horizon with HDR on my OLED because of the colors but that's about it.

Even today's TLoU trailer wasn't as good as RDR2 looks.

OP
OP
banshee150

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I don't think anything has surpassed RDR2 for me… maybe Horizon with HDR on my OLED because of the colors but that's about it.

That's what I thought too. TLOU2 trailer was impressive but I honestly don't think it will top RDR2 as many people predict. It will definitely be more fun to play though and you won't have to wait for every animation to finish for a minute...

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have the Xbox One version, but I don't think anything surpasses Red Dead 2 this generation. Especially considering it is an open world game.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Purely graphics, it will be TloU2. But for overall looks for me it's gonna be Horizon or GoT (if it continued to look as good as the last time we saw it)

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

I keep seeing this today. I can't really say shit until I actually play through RDR2, but for some reason I highly doubt this. Maybe RDR2 will be more visually stunning more times throughout the game, but in motion I can't really see anything topping TLoU 2.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Most top end games look fantastic to me so it mostly depends on what they do with the art arstyle imho, so no RE2 or DMC5 or ultra realistic gray city game

Uncharted4/TLOUS2 for sure.

Also FFVIIR.

probably GOW and GEARS 5

RED DEAD2 too

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Would probably add Detroit into the running too for pure raw output. Definetly beats The Order in that regard with fantastic face rendering

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I mean Red Dead 2 is always going to be in that conversation but Horizon is still the one that sticks out in my mind.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Rather than ps4 (weaker of the two main consoles this gen) do a overall console one.

My answer would be Gears 5.

If solely ps4, id say best iv seen is uncharted 4.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
I have to say Horizon Zero Dawn is the most prominent graphical marvel of this generation, imo.

I guess that smooth frame rate coupled with those graphics just makes it all that more astonishing.

But I guess The Last of Us 2 will beat that for me.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
TLoU 2 Will most probably remain as the best looking game of the generation, regardless of the console platform and developer.

Only one that comes close is RDR2 and TLoU 2 looks like a non open world version of that game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Picked Red Dead Redemption 2 back up recently and it's cemented my opinion that it's the best looking game out there. The game is stunning.

The recent HDR patch made a big difference too.

OP
OP
banshee150

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Picked Red Dead Redemption 2 back up recently and it's cemented my opinion that it's the best looking game out there. The game is stunning.

The recent HDR patch made a big difference too.
Yeah I always wonder in delight when I boot it up. Modelling and animation may be better in TLOU2 but the damn environments and the open world in RDR2 is breathtaking. Love the one in HZD as well.