• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which (planned!) 2021 JRPG release are you most interested in?

• Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy

Votes: 21 2.9%
  • Bravely Default II

Votes: 89 12.2%
  • Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Shin Megami Tensei V

Votes: 315 43.3%
  • Tales of Arise

Votes: 170 23.4%
  • Ys IX: Monstrum Nox

Votes: 59 8.1%
  • Other / how dare you forget my prized JRPG series

Votes: 63 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
2021 is looking like a great year for JRPGs! They've always been a favourite genre of mine, and playing through Dragon Quest XI S this fall has got me all the way back in. Most of the games in the poll look pretty good to me. I'll have to choose wisely, since I only have time for one, maybe two 50+ hour sojourns a year!

Note that games like Final Fantasy XVI, which are rumoured to be released in 2021 but have never had an official release date or window announcement of any kind, are absent from the poll. I instead went with games already set for a 2021 date or games that were set for release but delayed past this year (like Tales of Arise). Some choices have already released in Japan; we're talking localized releases here!

While of course any game could be delayed and it's a bit of an arbitrary line, especially when there's an Atlus game on the docket, there had to be a poll cutoff somewhere! If I've shamed you and your anticipated JRPG of choice, be sure to let everybody know about which one you're looking forward to most. Interested to hear about all the good stuff coming up I don't know about yet.

Happy voting!

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Hmm. If I could, I would pick two, SMT V and Tales of Arise, but I gotta give it to SMT I think.

Also do you only count brand new games? Because NieR RepliCant and SMT3 are also releasing 2021.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to click on the Monster Hunter Stories 2 option, only to be disappointed that it would be labeled as "other". Other than that, Rune Factory 5, Nier Replicant Re, and SMT V are my most anticipated titles so far.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
Nier remake have a release date? I thought it was confirmed to be 2021.

Outside of that it's between Ys, because of dat falcon gameplay, and ToA, because it's seems they are taking their time with it and the budget isn't peanuts.

Oh, and there is the final Cold Steel Trails release, which had great receptions and is supposed to be a better conclusion of the saga than IV.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Shin Megami Tensei V, followed by YSIX and BDII.
I love SMT and I'm really curious on how the series is going to evolve, hoping it takes IV(A) as inspiration (for Apocalypse should be a gameplay inspiration of course, not about writing).
I also love YS, but the point is that i already know pretty much what to expect from IX since it's already out in Japan and it doesn't look much different from VIII. The same goes for BDII.
I would be hyped for Ryza 2 as well, but i still need to play the first

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Nier remake have a release date? I thought it was confirmed to be 2021.

Outside of that it's between Ys, because of dat falcon gameplay, and ToA, because it's seems they are taking their time with it and the budget isn't peanuts.

Oh, and there is the final Cold Steel Trails release, which had great receptions and is supposed to be a better conclusion of the saga than IV.
April 23rd for Nier.

lilty

Oct 25, 2017
New Brunswick
Really excited for Yakuza 7 on PS5 and SMTV. I really liked the first two Bravely games so BDII is on my radar as well, but I didn't love the demo so will probably wait for some impressions.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wanna say Shin Megami Tensei V just based on SMTIV and SMTIV:A but we've barely seen anything of it. Out of those it's Bravely Default II simply because it's more of a known factor and they've already shown what they're improving.

Nier Replicant is definitely high on my list but I've already played the original. Maybe Final Fantasy XVI if they surprise us.

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

That's 2022 at the earliest, they're planning for October '22.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
Nier Replicant Remaster because I haven't played it when it originally released, and Tales of Arise because Berseria was great and I hope they improve on that.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Where is Nier Replicant :(
Same.

But I already played the orignal so I'm kinda more excited for Ys IX.
Even if I'm very interested in how they reworked the game and what the new content is.

I still need to finish the first Ryza and before I get excited for SMTV I think I should finish some other SMT/Persona games I have already started.
And there still hasn't been any gameplay.
But seems like a good year.

It's not confirmed but shouldn't we also get the next Trails game?
I meanw e just got Cold Steel IV which comes out on Switch next year, but Hajimari no Kiseki shouldn't be far off seeing that it released in August in Japan.
(They already talked baout releasing the next game in the series next year, so I guess I'll never catch up with those)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Don't sleep on Monster Hunter Stories 2 OP !

share.png

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Excited for all of them, but SMTV is at the top of the list. Was excited for the Nocturne remaster, but sadly it turned out to be a mess.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I'm actually pretty excited for every single one of them lol. Bravely Default II is the one I picked on the poll. I actually had a few issues with the two 3DS games and I wouldn't say I love either one, but the move away from selecting the entire party's moves at once is a complete game changer to me and I think will solve most of my issues with those games. I'm also one of the weirdos that likes the way it looks (outside of some of the faces looking weird), and I just have a feeling I'm going to like the game a lot.

Playing through Atelier Ryza right now and I'm pleasantly surprised. First game in the series I've tried since Rorona, which I didn't care for. Really enjoy the setting a lot, great music, very chill and I like how you can progress at basically your own pace. I've put about 25 hours in so far and I'm looking forward to more of it.

Tales of Arise should be fun. I'm expecting more of the same for Tales with a shinier coat of paint, but that's all I'm really looking for. I think the very small bit of gameplay we saw made it look like dodging would be a more active mechanic? I don't remember too well, but that should make things fun. The side stepping and back stepping in Graces is the biggest reason I think it's the most fun game in the series. I'm pretty sure I'll like this game so long as the combat feels vaguely Tales and there are skits/fun party interactions.

I have less experience with the other series, but I'm pretty sure I'll be buying them. Haven't played Disgaea before but I love SRPGs and 6 will probably be my first. I own SMT4 and Ys 8 and they're in my backlog and I'll make sure to play them before the new games release. May also try Nocturne if the remaster is fixed by the time it releases here, otherwise I'll probably just skip it.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Only one on the list that is must buy for me is Bravely Default II, really enjoyed the demo. But if Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes releases next year, that is definitely a must buy as well.

Would love to see a comprehensive list of JRPGs planned for 2021, though. As there may be a lot more that I would purchase.

Edit: Just realized SMT V will be released for Switch, definitely another one I will be buying.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Gave to SMTV since Nier is a remake. More excited to play something new.

also FFXVI will be 2021.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Nier Replicant by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar

Like, distance to Pluto far.

If FFXVI was there it would be a closer second.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not really excited for anything. Bravely Default 2 looks questionable, SMT4 was a step down from SMT: Nocturne so I don't have high hopes for 5, and the other game series mentioned in the poll aren't really my thing.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Nier Replicant followed by Tales of Arise.

FFXVI hope is also still there for next year.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Nier Replicant. Been waiting for a chance to see where the series started (yes, I know about Drakengard, but I doubt Squeeenix would ever bring it back, or port it to PC).

Granblue Re:link also looked interesting.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
NieR Replicant and Trails of Cold Steel IV (PC/Switch)
Hoping to see Final Fantasy XVI, Granblue Fantasy Relink, Tales of Arise next year too.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ryza 2 is the only one I'm really invested in. Others are interesting but would be completely new to me. Realistically SMT would probably be the only other one I would get.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
If not including Final Fantasy 16 then I guess Tales of Arise would be the one. Which sucks because we've seen next to nothing of the game.

Everything else here is me for me. Unfortunately.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Cautiously excited for SMT V, but will probably check out Nier Remake and maybe new Tales game. The latter has been in dev for quite a while so here is to hoping we'll get some major improvements.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
FFXVI is by and far my most anticipated game to be released right now, but since OP said we're talking about it...

Granblue Relink has to be next year, the game's been gestating for such a long time already. I expect to see the release confirmation during the December stream.

Last edited:

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
Monster Hunter Stories 2. However, that not being in the poll for some reason, its between BDII and SMTV for me.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
SMT V by far, but if FF XVI somehow comes out next year then it'll be that one.