• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

which one of these were the most consequential event?

• Fall of the Berlin Wall/End of the USSR

Votes: 314 45.3%
  • September 11 attacks/War on Terror

Votes: 259 37.4%
  • 2008 financial crisis

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • COVID-19 pandemic

Votes: 102 14.7%

• Total voters

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Western civilization was barely touched by the top 3. Covid has changed everything. Things none of us thought possible are happening day after day and things may never be back to normal. The world will certainly never be the same again.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
End of the USSR, it helped take the boot off of tens of millions of people and allow self determination.

we are still knee deep in Covid, so too soon for that

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
9/11 probably had a bigger global impact in terms of geopolitics, while the financial crisis had a bigger impact on millennials living in the West.

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
All those events pale in comparison with WW2. In fact half of those events can be traced back to WW2 as a cause of it(fall of Berlin Wall and 9/11)

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I think 9/11 reordered our (US) entire perspective as a society in a very short amount of time. We are still living in its shadow in many ways, and we have not reckoned with it at all.

The fall of the USSR was a slow moving event that everyone saw coming. I don't think it had as big of an impact as an actual event.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
The end of the Cold War. If you weren't alive back then, it's hard to convey the constant dread. That fucking TV movie "The Day After" is literally the only movie that has ever legitimately scared me.

And that's just the personal angle. The worldwide consequences are immense. Every other nation on all the northern continents, at least, was heavily affected by the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Fall of the Soviet Union. It's the second or third most important event of the 20th century, behind perhaps the allied victory of world war 2, and a handful of other events like Hitler's election to the bundestag, or even some good ones -- the space race, the discovery of modern medicines and vaccines, anti colonial movements in Africa.

Also in terms of like reshaping the world, the fall of the USSR changed the global world order. 9/11 did to a degree as well but not as permanent, and largely America/Europe focused. Covid likely won't reshape the world order like the fall of the Soviet Union, it'll have an affect of course but more so on domestic politics in the US.

Covid will "hopefully" have the same affect as like, the Spanish Flu of 1918, and don't forget prior to the last few years, the Spanish flu was called "The forgotten pandemic," it wasn't until a slew of 100 year anniversaries of it and then this coronavirus that it really captured the public imagination. It's sort of hard to think that in a generation of two people will "forget" about the Coronavirus, but....y'know... Here's hoping we do.

www.economist.com

How the Spanish flu of 1918-20 was largely forgotten

The Economist under-reported the pandemic. Many victims were counted among the dead of the first world war

Last edited:

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
Fall of the Soviet Union. It's the second or third most important event of the 20th century, behind perhaps the allied victory of world war 2, and a handful of other events.

Also in terms of like reshaping the world, the fall of the USSR changed the global world order. 9/11 did to a degree as well but not as permanent. Covid likely won't reshape the world order like the fall of the Soviet Union, it'll have an affect of course but more so on domestic politics in the US.

Covid will "hopefully" have the same affect as like, the Spanish Flu of 1918, and don't forget prior to the last few years, the Spanish flu was called "The forgotten pandemic," it wasn't until a slew of 100 year anniversaries of it and then this coronavirus that it really captured the public imagination. It's sort of hard to think that in a generation of two people will "forget" about the Coronavirus, but....y'know... Here's hoping we do.

well it seems pretty possible that Covid changes the world order vis a vis China. though the likelihood of accountability seems to be decreasing by the day.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
well it seems pretty possible that Covid changes the world order vis a vis China. though the likelihood of accountability seems to be decreasing by the day.

I'm (legit not snarky) curious which direction it'll change vis a vis China, you think?

(Legit curious not snarky/assholish because I can see it going both ways but want to hear your take)

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
9/11 since it happened during my lifetime and the reactions to it are still felt today. I️ really should read up more on the USSR stuff though.

covids gonna fuck stuff up for sometime but at some point things will settle

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
All those events pale in comparison with WW2. In fact half of those events can be traced back to WW2 as a cause of it(fall of Berlin Wall and 9/11)

World War II was directly caused by World War I.

Is there any other event that had a greater effect on modern history than WW1? I can't think of anything.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Alexander living and invading Italy, knocking out an infant Rome.
From what I've read (mostly just that Mary Beard book), Rome at the time of Alexander's death might've actually been able to field an army about the same size as Alexander's. Alexander coincidentally died just as Rome's military machine was just getting started. They were already the big boys in Italy by then.

Romans in the 2nd and 1st centuries BC considered it one of the great what-ifs of history.
Subutai succeeding in invading central Europe
This is the big one I think about -- what if Ogedei had lived longer and the Mongol invasion of Europe hadn't stopped. People say the Germans and the French wouldn't have stood a chance against them, but others suggest central and western European weather would've been less conducive to Mongol equipment. Some even suggest one of the reasons the west pulled ahead of the rest of the world developmentally is because it dodged the Mongol invasions while places like Eastern Europe and the Middle East got destroyed.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The fall of the Berlin Wall because it sits on this timeline: World War 1 -> World War 2 -> Berlin Wall -> Fall of the Berlin Wall -> the Present.
The last 100 years of mankind and global politics, countries and their societies as we know them were defined by that timeline.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Will be interesting how COVID will be noted in the history books.

Hope it won't be something like:
"To get a real perspective on how the Third World War has started,we have to go back to 2020, where geopolitics started to nosedive and tensions between China, the EU and the US thanks to the pandemic were on the rise. This marked the year where every country started to isolate from the rest of the world, which in turn lead to suffering in their populations that the far right political parties abused to gain power once again. Trumps reelection, made possible by him acquiring a Covid 19 vaccine with the use of the military, was the biggest step in the US's way to become the one party country we know today.

At the same time, the EU's(European Union see S.154 for further reference) split was set in motion which also was a big contributor on the NEE's(Northern Europe Empire) founding just three years later in 2023 under the reign of (at that time)Germany's AFD party....."

As long as it's not something like this, I say the fall of the USSR. The above is of course not something I think will happen, but future implications on current events are unpredictable. Just like I had no thought about the war on terror and its consequences when I saw the towers collapsing on live TV.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The fall of the USSR had the biggest influence while the war on terror had the most destructive as of yet.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
I'm (legit not snarky) curious which direction it'll change vis a vis China, you think?

(Legit curious not snarky/assholish because I can see it going both ways but want to hear your take)

Cold War style tensions between the U.S. and China. It certainly feels things were already trending that way and Covid seems to be accelerating it.

Wyvers

Banned
May 5, 2020
I think the Fall of the Soviet Union (in the way it fell) will in the long-term be looked back upon as a destabilising factor in world peace and geopolitics.

Whilst undeniably a coup for human rights and democracy, the opportunities presented by its fall to truly create a unified and coherent global strategy to the biggest problems of our day were, mostly, missed out on.

And I think the absence of a global superpower in opposition to the west, ideologically, has had the dual impact of both weakening the values of the west and also allowing other, perhaps worse powers (centralised and not) to fill the power vacuum left by the USSR. At least the Soviet Union was a known and stable quantity with broadly knowable objectives. The world we live in today is more complex and I think we're still very much in the short-term impact stage of its fall.

I think that short-term impact was mostly very positive and it's great to see how former Warsaw pact countries have bounced back. But it remains to be seen how the long-term impacts will transpire. There's not enough distance.

It's easily the biggest world event since WW2 though and the biggest there will be for some time, I imagine. 9/11 doesn't hold a candle to it.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not old enough to really understand what life was like during the Cold War.

And Covid is too early to tell because we're still in the middle of it.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
9/11 aftermath still actually impacts most people on a regular basis. any time you travel for example. and the bigotry and hate towards Muslims to name another one. just the other day I wasn't able to send a pair of tiny audio speakers by air to sweden because apparently speakers are weapons of mass destruction and are banned on airplanes. before 9/11 the world was much more convenient in many ways.

we'll probably get a recession thanks to covid but I don't predict any long lasting cultural and practical changes.

Oct 27, 2017
9/11 turned Bush into a hero and allowed the toxic patriotism to fester which directly lead to what we see in America today.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its WWI or WWII. Which led to the events of three of the items on your list. All four if you're willing to buy into an argument that post War on Terror polarization has made this pandemic worse than it needed to be.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine thinking that the 9/11 attacks had more influence on (Western) civilization than the fall of the Soviet Union.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Berlin Wall/Fall of USSR. Not to downplay the fallout of the "War on Terror" of course.

1f78381576eb635e9803659459b737b2.jpg

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
If the Berlin wall doesn't fall and the USSR doesn't collapse Europe looks completely different. The omnipresent fear of being nuked to oblivion faded in those days.

9/11 is close but I think the jury is still out on that but I think it's closing the gap quickly. The re-rise of American Nationalism, the PATRIOT Act, DHS, the thousands (millions?) killed in the name of the War on Terror. Without 9/11 who knows what the US looks like today.

The Pandemic is a concrete example that when there's a clear solution to a problem there will always be enough selfish/stupid people to ruin it for everyone. It's consequences are still being determined though. Once it's in the rear view (if ever...) we'll have a better idea what actually changed as a result.

The 2008 financial collapse was the least consequential IMO. Millions out of work, international banking thrown to chaos, sovereign nations on the brink of bankruptcy all were terrible, but compared to the loss of life all the above inflicted I don't think it belongs in the conversation.

I voted 9/11 but it could just be that as a US citizen I feel its effects more readily than the fall of the Wall. I suspect if I lived through the Cuban Missile Crisis I'd have a different opinion.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In all of western history? It has to be something far less recent, like the rise of Christianity in the Roman Empire, or the Norman invasion of England, or the discovery of the new world.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Cold War style tensions between the U.S. and China. It certainly feels things were already trending that way and Covid seems to be accelerating it.

Oh got ya, yeah, I agree to an extent. I think it's difficult for countries like the US and China to really have the sort of relationship that the US and USSR (or even the US & China pre-1973) had, because our economies are so interwoven, as well as most other economies throughout the world. That's a little bit of a Pollyana Fukuyama point of view, but I think it's true to an extent.

I was thinking that COVID-19 might offer an opportunity for countries to continue or shift away from an American-led world which will give further rise to Chinese leadership. Like, the US basically ceding responsibility of the World Health Organization because Trump is looking to blame someone for Coronavirus, and that offering a vaccum for Chinese health leadership to step into, or, say, American and European countries can't produce enough COVID-19 vaccine fast enough so more countries turn towards vaccines produced in China. China is already the world's leading producer of stuff but this offers an opportunity for China to step up and assume a leadership role in shaping policy something that they really haven't had a significant role in globally in close to a century.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The fall of the USSR and 9/11 definitely. COVID-19 might have the same repercussions, but right now it's still too early to tell.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It's September 11th by a country mile. We're still dealing with that fall out and will for generations to come.
Not that 9/11 hasn't been massively influential (it is), but without the USSR falling the entire world would've been different. The effects of 9/11 are nothing compared to the possibility of the Cold War continuing (or worse, escalating into a real war). Also, the entirety of Eastern Europe (and parts of Western Europe) are also still feeling the economic and sociopolitical effects of the fall of the Soviet Union.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
It's September 11th by a country mile. We're still dealing with that fall out and will for generations to come.
many countries including my own (Germany) are still dealing with the effects on society and economy from the fall of the wall/USSR/Eastern Bloc.

And Eastern Germany got out the best compared to rest of Eastern Europe, speaking as a former East German myself. East Germans are alienated from the rest of German society on many levels to this day, just like many parts of Eastern Europe are from Western Europe. And that is within the same country.

There is a saying in Germany "Die Mauer im Kopf"

which means "the wall in the head".

the wall may be gone, but in society and mentality, it hasn't yet. in almost all areas of life.

it is also ironic, that an east german (merkel) holds the highest position in the country, yet statistically, there are almost no east germans in high ranking political positions, companies, education, etc. even when west german companies buy up east german companies, its leadership is quickly replaced with west germans

Last edited:

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Fall of the soviet Union by far. It literraly reshaped the world. The impact of 9/11 is dwarfed in comparison.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
When the first white person to see a non-white, looked at them and thought themselves as superior...

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
It's too soon to assess the long-term of covid because we're right in the middle of it. Short-term and day-to-day it had the biggest impact but don't think beats the fall of the Soviet Union or 9/11 in historic impact.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say The 2001 9/11 attacks, leading to the subsequent war on terror, war with Iraq, rise of ISIL and jihadists, rise of xenophobia, rise of white supremacy, rise of populism. It also can be linked to the Great Recession, with falling markets at the time leading to lowering of interest rates for an extended period, leading to the subprime crisis, leading to (still persistent) increase in economic inequality, in the ME this lead to the Arab Spring, the Syrian Civil War, the refugee crisis and again increased xenophobia etc.

Although I guess you could link the rise of Taliban with the fall of the Soviet Union so....