• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one would you recommend I play next?

• Metal Gear Solid

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • Shin Megami Tensei

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Suikoden

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Xenogears

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Devil May Cry

Votes: 14 19.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
For the past year or so I have decided to stop focusing on new releases and instead try to complete videogames that are unanimously hailed as some of the greatest of all time that I've missed. Recently I have been going through classic RPGs that I've missed (FF4, FF6, DQ8, etc) and I'm thinking about what game should I play next. This time around I want to tackle on franchises that I have unfortunately never touched, they are: Metal Gear Solid, Suikoden, Xenogears, Devil May Cry and Shin Megami Tensei. All of these series are hailed as some of the greatest in their respective genres and somehow I have dodged them my entire life. Surprisingly, my knowledge about these games is almost non-existent. I know of no major spoilers in any of them, I just know that they're all highly rated. They all seem interesting and I'm having a hard time in choosing which one to play next.

Which one of these series do you recommend the most? Even though I mentioned that I've been playing RPGs lately I have no problem in playing another one, nor do I have issue with jumping into a completely new genre. Just curious to know which one of these series do you think has stood the test of time the best and is the most enjoyable overall. I know that most of these are long-running series with a high time commitment requirement, which is why I'm resorting for help on here.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Imo MGS and Devil May Cry probably hold up the best.

SMT I found to be frustrating in a modern context.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGS and DMC are both relatively short, I'd go for them, though they are somewhat rough around the edges these days. Their presentation largely holds up though.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
You've never played MGS?? Get on that stat!

or just wait for the Bluepoint remake late next year

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Are we talking series or the actual first game? I think the only one of those series with a first game that's pleasant to play is Suikoden. At the very least, it is extremely short and low-friction, and the much better second game connects to it pretty closely.

The first SMT is very archaic; I tried it when I was most into the series and couldn't do it. I'd suggest starting with Nocturne when it gets rereleased, since it's as good as any game in any of the series you mentioned. The games don't have much to do with each other storywise anyway. I'd actually say the same for Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Solid, though I'm sure people will disagree: neither series gets fun to play until the third game. MGS2 is an essential experience, but I replayed it a few months ago and it is a mixed bag.

Xenogears is bonkers, and I'd be tempted to call it another essential experience, but it's also clunky, badly translated, unfinished, and 60 hours long. So, yeah. My answer is Suikoden.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
People will yell at me for this but I do not think Devil May Cry 1 is worth playing for someone new to the series

OP
OP
Truno

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
You've never played MGS?? Get on that stat!

Only Kojima game I've played is Death Stranding, wonder how crazy the MGS storyline will be lol

Are we talking series or the actual first game?

I'm planning on playing the entire series of said game. If there is no connection on the story, or if an entry in the series has not aged well at all and it holds no relevance to any of the other games, then I'd skip it. Like I mentioned in the post, I don't know much about any of them. However, I just saw the reviews for DMC 1 and 2. DMC 1 is highly acclaimed while 2 seems to be negatively panned. That makes me worried

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Only Kojima game I've played is Death Stranding, wonder how crazy the MGS storyline will be lol

I'm planning on playing the entire series of said game. If there is no connection on the story, or if an entry in the series has not aged well at all and it holds no relevance to any of the other games, then I'd skip it. Like I mentioned in the post, I don't know much about any of them. However, I just saw the reviews for DMC 1 and 2. DMC 1 is highly acclaimed while 2 seems to be negatively panned. That makes me worried

No other DMC game connects to or references 2 in any way, so you should be safe to skip it if you find it as bad as its reputation (I gave it a few hours and that was plenty).

Status
Not open for further replies.