• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of my favorites have at least an 80 on Metacritic if not higher. Xenoblade Chronicles, The World Ends With You DS, Kid Icarus Uprising, mainline Pokémon games, etc.

However, there is one that certainly stands out: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky, which sits at a 54 on Metacritic. I'm not certain whether that game would actually be in my top 10 or not at this point but either way I definitely personally enjoyed it more than that.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What a fun thread!

1. Chrono Trigger - 92
2. Witcher 3 - 93
3. Dota 2 - 90
4. Dragon Age: Origins - 91
5. Europa Universalis IV - 87
6. Lost Odyssey - 78
7. Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (World soccer: Winning Eleven 9) - Not enough reviews to have a metacritic
9. World of Warcraft - 93
10. Final Fantasy IX - 94

So pretty much only Lost Odyssey that didnt get above 80.

PCK

Oct 26, 2018
The only top 10 game that is on the low end for me is Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE.
It has an 80 on Metacritic, but the biggest reasons it's not higher is because reviewers didn't like the idol stuff and wanted it to be more of a Fire Emblem game than an SMT game.
It is my favourite RPG combat system and while the main story is nothing special, the side chapters were more interesting to me than the Persona 5 social links.
As a whole it doesn't beat Persona 3 for me, though.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say American Truck Simulator (76) but..

Dying Light at a 74 astounds me.

That game was amazing when it was released and holds up well enough now.
Oh that's surprising, I figured it would be higher. As zombie games go I think there's enough there that it mixes in and does very well that elevates it above many other games in the genre. I'm back playing the game again now, playing through The Following, and it's a reminder of just how great the atmosphere is in the game, at times almost Stalker-esque in its feeling of isolation and bleakness.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I don't even know if I can make a list of my favorite games. That's such a tough premise that I can't even wrap my head around.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
All mine have a high MC. The lowest in my top 20 games of all time would be NIER which has a MC of 68 and is a perfect example of why review scores are not the be all and end all. The game is amazing.

My favourite game of all time Resident Evil 2, has an MC of 89. I don't know if you know but the game has been recently remade and has an MC of 91. ;)

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really rank my top 10 but a few games in there namely Killer7 and Flower, Sun and Rain have abysmal scores. Reviews in general don't really mean much in the long run for these kind of cult arthouse games.

x5pW74F.png

LD75rlw.png

I had never heard of Flower Sun and Rain but I just looked it up and ordered a copy for €2.50. Thanks

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Destiny.

Honestly current reviewers just aren't fit for purpose when it comes to online games. Very much out of touch.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I have plently of games I really like, but recently I created a 3x3 List, so I will check the same games.
Also on purpose I selected not well-known games.

Eryi's Action [Windows] - Reviewers TBT Users 6.0
The Night of the Rabbit [Windows] - Reviewers 75 Users 7.5
Magical Drop 3 [Arcade] - *No Entry*
Orbital Gear [Windows] - Reviewers 59 Users 6.9
BLUE REVOLVER [Windows] - Reviewers TBT Users TBT
Entity [Web Browser] - *No Entry*
Gun Godz [Windows] - Reviewers TBT Users TBT
Buriedbornes [Android] - *No Entry*
ICEY [Windows] - Reviewers 84 Users 7.4

Well, shit.
I am so disappointed. More people shall play these games.
Thankfully ICEY have a good score.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is my favorite game of all time, and it sits at 73. The Xbox 360 port has a score of 60.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
  1. Super Mario Galaxy - 97
  2. Halo 3 - 94
  3. Breath of the Wild - 97
  4. Smash Bros Ultimate - 92
  5. Persona 5 - 93
  6. Nier: Automata - 88
  7. Minecraft - 93 (though the most recent Switch edition has an 86)
  8. Sonic Mania - 86 (the plus version has a 91)
  9. Bayonetta 2 - 92
  10. Celeste - 92

Damn im a normie. I guess its Sonic Mania or Minecraft depending on how you look at it.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ones that I've played and enjoyed the most with low meta scores are Driveclub and GT Sport.

GT Sport just over 100hours on that game. Probably the best racing game I've played.

Driveclub I'm not sure of the amount of hours but I got every single trophy in the game including the season pass trophies. Not the bikes expansion though.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Not me - my number 1 is Skyrim which is a 96 so I lose this. My lowest top 10 game is Ori and The Blind Forest at 88

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Like many others, Deadly Premonition with 68.

Not really low but I just learned about those:
Wandersong - 81
Gitaroo Man - 80
Rhythm Heaven - 83

People with only 90s and higher... live a little!

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Game that I liked a lot with the lowest metascore is probably Mafia 3. It's from 62-68 depending on the platform. I played it on PC and that specifically has 62. Though it's definitely not a ten for me either, I'd say strong 8. My biggest gripe was the grind, seemed to be for many others too. That you can't progress in the game without repeating the same tasks and those didn't have any story effort in them either, to make them worthwhile.

Edit: Sorry, I think I misunderstood a bit. It seems like you ment my top 10 games specifically, I need to think a while what those 10 would be at the moment. Mafia 3 isn't there.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Probably Silent Hill Downpour which I loved and has like a 63.

Also Arkham Origins is by far the best Batman game to me and also has 73 or something.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
FIFA Street 2 is my favorites sports game of all time and it sits squarely at 59 on metacritic.
What's worse is that the horrible reboot which ended up killing the series for good is in the high-70s.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
1. World of Warcraft - 93
2. Return to Castle Wolfenstein (for the MP) - 88
3. Team Fortress 2 - 92
4. CoD 1 (again for the MP) - 91
5. MGS2 - 96

All bangers

Hermione Granger

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 9, 2018
01. Chrono Cross - 94
02. Final Fantasy IX - 94
03. Chrono Trigger - 92
04. Final Fantasy VI - 92
05. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - 88
06. Golden Sun: The Lost Age - 86
07. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations - 81
08. Danganronpa v3: Killing Harmony - 81
09. Pokemon Emerald - 76
10. Return of the Obra Dinn - 89

Kinda funny how my first nine entries all happen to be in order from highest to lowest score lol
So yeah Pokemon Emerald is the lowest scoring one at 76

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
1. Metal Gear Solid: 94
2. Persona 5: 93
3. Banjo-Kazooie: 92
4. Donkey Kong Country 2: 80 (GBA port)
5. Super Mario Bros. 3: 94 (GBA port)
6. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver: 87
7. Final Fantasy VII: 92
8. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 92
9. Mega Man 2: None
10. Majora's Mask: 95

I guess Mega Man 2 loses by default...annoying that the only version of DKC2 with a Metascore though is the GBA port.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
So I'll try this again. Now with ten games where some of them definitely belong in my top ten and some could change depending on the mood and time of day (ranks 8-10). I'll use the metascore for whatever platform I played it on.

1. Witcher 3 - 93
2. Mario 64 - 94
3. XCOM 2 - 88
4. Grim Fandango - 94
5. Civilization V - 88
6. Deus Ex Human Revolution - 90 (it's been very long since I played the original, don't kill me. Also prefer Jensen over JC. Difficult to decide between the two new ones too.)
7. World of Warcraft - 93 (91 for my favorite expansion Wrath of the Lich King)
8. Link to the Past - No metascore for SNES version, GBA 95.
9. Dota 2 - 90
10. Metal Gear Solid 3 - 91

So all got great scores it seems. While the difference isn't big, for me Civ 5 and XCOM 2 are definitely strong nines. Also I could have picked Mankind Divided over Human Revolution, since I thought it even did some things much better than the previous title. It's just that the impact by Human Revolution was bigger for me at the time, so I usually have it on top 10 list instead. But Mankind Divided would be the worst rated game by 83. But yeah, Mafia 3 (62) would be the biggest outlier from games I thought were among the best for their respective release years.

Last edited:

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I don't have a set top 10 in mind, but after searching some of my fondest games, the 78 for MLB Power Pros 2008 is about the lowest I could find.

Gushu

Sep 29, 2018
Driveclub - 71
I invested countless hours in this game. Amazing tracks, insane graphics, nice car handling and a really challenging difficulty (for gold stars) did it for me. This game had me on edge.

Tenchu: Fatal Shadows - 58
I loved every Tenchu game when i was a kid and this was no exception.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
GT Sport at 75 is a crime

To be fair, the critiques against it were legitimate. It was missing almost everything compared to prior games. It has a good amount of tracks and cars now, but I feel like I should have waited before buying.

Siege is my top pick. the hate for this game when it came out was pretty high, similarly due to progression and content. But I started playing and couldn't stop. The gameplay was revolutionary for an FPS.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix (2.5 HD for simplicity) - 81

Dark Souls - 89

Final Fantasy XII - 92

Street Fighter IV AE - 80 (SFIV base: 93)

Mega Man 9 - 77 (wii and 360 versions reviewed higher for some reason but I didn't play those)

Castlevania SotN - 93

Hollow Knight - 90

Ori and the Blind Forest - 88

Deus Ex - 90

Paper Mario TTYD - 87

Morrowind - 89

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, the critiques against it were legitimate. It was missing almost everything compared to prior games. It has a good amount of tracks and cars now, but I feel like I should have waited before buying.

Siege is my top pick. the hate for this game when it came out was pretty high, similarly due to progression and content. But I started playing and couldn't stop. The gameplay was revolutionary for an FPS.
No they weren't, since the prior games were a completely different type of game. There is a reason it's called GT Sport and not GT7. Reviewers failed to critique the product appropriately.

Basically the same exact reasoning for the the example you provided. You should understand

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm going to have to go with gamerankings, as the game in question doesn't have a Metacritic. It's one of my top 10 and a key game in my gaming history. Probably the online game I played the most and got the best at. Last I checked, servers still had some maps I made in rotation.

Full disclosure, this is more for the multiplayer than the single player, though I did complete it (after they patched out one hell of a game breaking bug in one of the last levels that made completion basically impossible) and enjoyed the single player overall. SP had some real lows, no doubt but some highs too.

Multiplayer was really great, with a ridiculously high skill ceiling, massive amounts of verticality and movement tricks, and four great sets of weapons.

Do you know what it is yet?

Daikatana: 54%

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
No they weren't, since the prior games were a completely different type of game. There is a reason it's called GT Sport and not GT7. Reviewers failed to critique the product appropriately.

Basically the same exact reasoning for the the example you provided. You should understand

The racing was very much the same. It just happened to have a more developed online component. But it subtracted many tracks, many cars, many events, and mechanical tweaks. I love the game, but it wasn't hard to argue that it was more like GT Lite.

Siege was a much larger change in FPS gameplay than GT was to racing.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The racing was very much the same. It just happened to have a more developed online component. But it subtracted many tracks, many cars, many events, and mechanical tweaks. I love the game, but it wasn't hard to argue that it was more like GT Lite.

Siege was a much larger change in FPS gameplay than GT was to racing.
Sorry, you're wrong. Both games greatly adjusted their model and should have been reviewed based on what they were trying to achieve, not what games before it had in terms on content. the racing in sport is nothing like it was in 5 or 6. It's as much GT Lite as R6 is R6 lite. You are applying doulble standards.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
One of my favorite games of all time, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, is at a fucking 54. User score has it at 86! Insanity.