• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Question in the thread title!

• Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 504 51.2%
  • Splatoon 3

Votes: 221 22.5%
  • Bayonetta 3

Votes: 259 26.3%

• Total voters

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
There have zero interest in XC3. The other two I am mildly interested in. I will probably pick up both when on sale.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Bayo 3 by far. I need to see more gameplay before I can get properly hyped but the first game is one of my all-time favorites and the second is still an amazing game even if it didn't quite hit the same highs for me.

I need to play Xenoblade 2 before I can go into 3 and that 100-hour barrier is kind of a hype killer right now, especially in such a packed year. Splatoon was one of my favorite Wii U games but I never played 2 and it takes a lot for me to get into multiplayer games these days.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't blame monolith, blame nintendo for their poor hardware and refusing to release a pro in favor of the oled
Nobody made monolith have the effects it does to run at 368p. Nobody made them have obscene blur with aggressive sharpening on top. They have the platform and could have worked within its limitations and chose not to. And there's 80 bucks I'll never get back.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 3, by leaps and bounds.

I have no interest in Bayonetta 3. Also have no interest in multiplayer-only games like Splatoon.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 3, by leaps and bounds.

I have no interest in Bayonetta 3. Also have no interest in multiplayer-only games like Splatoon.
What gets me is that they actually made an apparently good single player Splatoon mode, but it's only available as DLC. So you have to buy a $60 game and a $20 DLC to play it, even if you care nothing about multiplayer from the base game.

Had it been a standalone expansion I'd buy it. Had it been added to the game as an update and not DLC I'd have maybe picked up the game on sale at some point. As-is, they are out of their minds.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What gets me is that they actually made an apparently good single player Splatoon mode, but it's only available as DLC. So you have to buy a $60 game and a $20 DLC to play it, even if you care nothing about multiplayer from the base game.

Had it been a standalone expansion I'd buy it. Had it been added to the game as an update and not DLC I'd have maybe picked up the game on sale at some point. As-is, they are out of their minds.
The Octo Expansion requires you to already be quite familiar with all of Splatoon's mechanics, ties in directly with the main game's story, and is widely considered to be among the most difficult shooter campaigns out there, it would make no sense as a standalone expansion and is more than large enough to justify the $20 admission price. It's not like the best selling 3rd person shooter ever needs that much help selling.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Xenoblade 3 by a longshot for me. I couldn't get into Splatoon 1, so I never bothered after that. Bayonetta 3 is one I'm interested in since I enjoyed the first two games, but not one I'm particularly hyped for.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I really, really wish I could get into Splatoon.

I adore how it looks, and I just think the concept itself is so brilliant.

But I just cannot wrap my head around the one-axis gyro controls, no matter how much I try; and I feel like I'm at a huge disadvantage when I turn them off completely. I put about 20 hours into the first one on WiiU, and another 20 or so into the sequel before just accepting it wasn't for me. I know there are plenty who love how it controls, but for me, it's just awful compared to any good dual-stick or M+KB shooter I've ever (or regularly) play.

That + no built-in voice chat just sucks. It's like, the two most important things in ac competitive multiplayer game are missing.

Bayonetta 3 will be great, I'm sure. But it's been so long since 2 I just... really don't care any more.

XC2 is the second best single player game on the Switch behind BotW, so XC3 wins by default.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I really, really wish I could get into Splatoon.

I adore how it looks, and I just think the concept itself is so brilliant.

But I just cannot wrap my head around the one-axis gyro controls, no matter how much I try; and I feel like I'm at a huge disadvantage when I turn them off completely. I put about 20 hours into the first one on WiiU, and another 20 or so into the sequel before just accepting it wasn't for me. I know there are plenty who love how it controls, but for me, it's just awful compared to any good dual-stick or M+KB shooter I've ever (or regularly) play.

That + no built-in voice chat just sucks. It's like, the two most important things in ac competitive multiplayer game are missing.

Bayonetta 3 will be great, I'm sure. But it's been so long since 2 I just... really don't care any more.

XC2 is the second best single player game on the Switch behind BotW, so XC3 wins by default.
You really should just give it a go without motion controls and not worry too much about being at a disadvantage. I play without them and the game is still super fun. The game will match you with people at your skill level so it doesn't really matter what control setup you're using unless you make the very top rank.

As for the poll, I vote Splatoon, but I'll be getting all 3 on day 1.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Xenoblade. I wish it was Splatoon but right now it's looking too much like the second game which was already too much like the first. I also learned my lesson when it comes to buying Splatoon games at launch. By the time they've patched in an acceptable amount of content, my interest has long since waned.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I guess Splatoon 3. I played way less of the second after burning out on the first though. Bayonetta Isn't really my jam as I'm not a fan of the genre.

XB I need to play the first one with the definitive edition. I fell of the 3DS one as I got overwhelmed by systems and hit a difficulty wall 25ish hours in, but want to try agin with the easy mode in the Switch version as I was digging the story etc. and want to give it another go. If I get through it and enjoy it and want to play the 2nd one before the 3rd one.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Xeno 3 >> Splatoon 3 >>> Bayo 3.

I feel like Xenoblade is the only real option. We haven't seen really anything of Splatoon 3 yet to suggest it's all that different from 2, and considering 2 wasn't all that different from 1, it's no wonder not as many will be interested. They certainly haven't justified its existence yet. Personally Bayo 2 kinda killed my interest in the series, I didn't like it much compared to the first. Not to mention the footage we've seen on it was a bit iffy and spread some doubts.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the poll, XC3 is currently at twice the votes of Splatoon 3 and twice the votes of Bayonetta 3. :-o

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 3 has be hyped beyond belief.
I also loved Splatoon 2 a lot but they gotta start showing why Splatoon 3 is worth the purchase over just supporting 2 for longer.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
Splatoon is my favorite series of the three, and it's the only one made by EPD, so I lean towards it. I'm just wondering how big of an advancement it'll be over 2+Octo Expansion. The other two series are more character/story driven, so it's easier for them to avoid feeling too same-y to their predecessors.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I will buy all three of them

• Reasoning for Bayonetta 3 is fairly obvious - a new entry in the one of the premier series of the subgenre. I'm also hoping that some of the theories about multiple Bayonetta's (with the implication of different playstyles) proves true.
  • For Splatoon 3, I'm banking on the singleplayer campaign building on the amazing Octo Expansion DLC, which was some of the best Nintendo content on Switch.
  • Xenoblade 3 already has an interesting story hook with two trios of war enemies slowly coming together to make a stand against a senseless war. I have a bit of an affinity for stories about burying the hatchet. Obvious overarching plot of two Xenoblade worlds clashing seems intriguing enough on top of that. The world looks great and potentially open world. Also someone seems to have told Saitom to reign it in. My most anticipated game out of the three at this point and second most anticipated game after BotW 2 - will stay that way unless they announce a new 3D Mario or 3D EPD Donkey Kong (depending on how that would look).

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Nobody made monolith have the effects it does to run at 368p. Nobody made them have obscene blur with aggressive sharpening on top. They have the platform and could have worked within its limitations and chose not to. And there's 80 bucks I'll never get back.
the amount they'd have to downsize to appease the pile of shit hardware wouldn't be worth the loss, it's a lose-lose situation

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
The right answer is probably Xenoblade, but since I haven't played any of those yet I'm more excited about Bayonetta 3.

Splatoon I couldn't care less. I've seen my niece play it and I know it's not for me.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It is always curious to see Resetera's bias in favor of single player narrative-driven games and how it later does not agree with the market.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Xenoblade 2 was released in 2017, how the hell did you want there to be a Switch Pro back then.
Was talking about the base switch

lol other games run better at better resolutions. The options are there and the devs fucking whiffed it.
And yet years later there are titles that are smaller in scope but have just as bad performance issues whether it be resolution or framerate. XC3 had more dev time, experience with the switch, and a bigger production team but the promotional images still look blurry, there's only so much you can do with the switches hardware without resorting to extreme downsizing

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Was talking about the base switch

And yet years later there are titles that are smaller in scope but have just as bad performance issues whether it be resolution or framerate. XC3 had more dev time, experience with the switch, and a bigger production team but the promotional images still look blurry, there's only so much you can do with the switches hardware without resorting to extreme downsizing
If you are a first party studio it is your responsibility to adapt to the hardware you work on, it is obvious.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really have much interest in any of them, but if Splatoon 3 has an awesome single player (or local co-op) campaign, or even local multiplayer in general, I might give it a try.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Xenoblade 3 by far!
Also I see you picked Eunie for your image over Mio, or Noah. :P
Glad to see the High Entia are back!

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
At the moment it's Bayonetta but if Splat3n has some more unique hooks it could get me. After loving the first game I never got into the second, so unless there's something significantly different with 3 I might not bother.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta 3. I've never played one, but that trailer was exciting, and I want to try something new. I've always been a fan of Bayonetta the character ever since her Smash debut, so there's a good chance I might enjoy it.

I like Splatoon as a series and was hooked on the original, but I'm not super interested in Splatoon 3. I'll still play it, but I will never be into it like I was with the first game. The only times I booted up Splatoon 2 outside of the story was to play with my friend who got into the series way later than I did.

Xenoblade is not for me. I tried Xenoblade DE and didn't get far. I was kinda into the story, and I really liked the character voices, but the gameplay was a real drag, and that's a shame.

The real answer is Kirby and the Forgotten Land because it's 3D KIRBY!

Last edited:

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
None of those games.. give me a Mario game.. that is the only reason to own a switch