• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Or at least worth watching...first?

• Hacksaw Ridge

Votes: 21 5.9%
  • Dunkirk

Votes: 78 21.8%
  • Midway

Votes: 6 1.7%

Votes: 204 57.1%
  • Fury - (By popular Demand)

Votes: 48 13.4%

• Total voters

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
1917 and Dunkirk are both great films but I'm not sure how their gimmicks would hold up on second viewing (which obviously doesn't impact the first viewing).

I really like Fury, to be honest.

Fury > 1917 > Dunkirk
But in saying that, 1917 is the best 'movie' of the lot.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Dunkirk is phenomenal. Incredible tension and pacing, easily my favorite of Nolan's. It bears all his strengths and none of his weaknesses. It's loud and practical and nonlinear and none of the characters talk very much.

1917 is a lovely theme park ride, though some of its wilder moments strain credibility. Still highly recommended.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
1917 has Roger Deakins as the cinematographer and probably contains one of his top 5 most godlike well shot scenes of all-time. Fucking incredible.

Dunkirk and Fury are well worth a watch too.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I'd rank these:

1. 1917-8.5/10
2. Fury-8/10
3. Dunkirk-7.5/10
4. Hacksaw Ridge-2/10

Haven't seen Midway

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
giphy.gif

lol yeesh, that bad??

OP
OP
No Depth

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Fury and Midway are amazing Atmos demos. Do you have a decent sound set up? Definitely check them out. (All are good demo material).

I have an Atmos soundbar with rear speakers. It isn't quite as convincing with the vertical effect as a dedicated system offers(or a soundbar with better upfiring), but its impressive enough. But yea, mostly looking for a good film with great audio to enjoy.

I knew Midway was cheescake from impressions(and didn't expect much in the poll) but have seen mentioned the audio is astounding in it, so I included. Probably will rent it at some point.

Oct 30, 2017
From that list? 1917, easy. Then Fury. Dunkirk, I suppose if you really want to subject yourself to it. I found it to be tedious, dull, and horribly over hyped.

In fact, skip Dunkirk, Hacksaw, and Midway entirely. Put in Blackhawk Down instead. And maybe Letters from Iwo Jima?

If you want something slightly different, but still a decent war movie that's in a similar vein as Blackhawk Down, check out Operation Red Sea.

Just be aware, Operation Red Sea does have some seriously blatant pro China propaganda at the very end.

Oct 25, 2017
Found Dunkirk incredibly boring [really souring on Nolan these past few years, Tenet was abysmal].

1917 proved its worth as a film in a somewhat tired genre, like fully - incredible film.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I haven't seen 1917 yet. Of the rest, Dunkirk is the best, though it's still flawed. Band of Brothers is better than all of them.

36-800x445.jpg

Also, you forgot They Shall Not Grow Old. That was fascinating.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I really wasn't a fan of Dunkirk, but watched 1917 recently and it was great! Shows a bit of a different angle of war, and had great cinematography with how they shot it. I liked the idea of making you feel like you too, are walking along with them.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Midway was horrible holy shit

Dunkirk tried some very bold shits but not all paid off

Hacksaw Ridge is just gore fest

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Fury is awfully good. Jon Bernthal was such a creep in it... he was fantastic lol.

1917 is probably the better movie but I'll probably remember Fury for a longer time.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I watched Hacksaw Ridge and some of the action in it...is a bit over the top right? It felt almost comical lkke I was watching 30 minutes of the Predator shootout scene. I looked up reviews afterwards and I didn't see any standout comments about it so not sure if it was just me.

Also though
Him being lowered at the end, hanging with obvious comparison to Jesus
was a bit on ths nose especially with Gibson directing...totally missable I say.

Depends on your type of war movie, 1917 and Dunkirk I thought were fantastic. Fury was alright, more colourful and exciting I guess.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've only seen Dunkirk and Midway.

Dunkirk if you're a ship sinking enthusiast and don't like hearing dialogue.

Midway if you want a popcorn/cheesy America ra ra! movie

Based on poll results it looks like 1917 by far.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Out of those, 1917.

But they all pale in comparison to Das Boot and Lawrence of Arabia.

Das Boot is absolutely insane lol. I watched the long version (mini series) of that last year in a day and it was a real journey.

Been wanting watch Lawrence of Arabia recently, just haven't made the time.

Vote: Fury

Caught it in theatres and I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting much, but I enjoyed it.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I knew about 1917 going in, and it still impressed the hell out of me.

Dunkirk was incredible in IMAX, too.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Das Boot is absolutely insane lol. I watched the long version of that last year in a day and it was a real journey.

Been wanting watch Lawrence of Arabia recently, just haven't made the time.

Vote: Fury

Caught it in theatres and I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting much, but I enjoyed it.
Did you know there's a Das Boot series? On Hulu I think.

www.rottentomatoes.com

Das Boot | Rotten Tomatoes

A story of choices and survival that explores the emotional torment of life during World War II -- and the brutal reality of living within a senseless war.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the hell out of Midway and I thought it would be total trash.

It did pretty damn good with historical stuff all things considered.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Dunkirk is a fun audio disc
1917 was an alright movie

If you have atv+, greyhound is fun although very different

Oct 25, 2017
Dunkirk is a disservice to the actual event. The movie is such a tiny scale compared to real life that it's hard to enjoy what was there. Terrible war movie.

1917 on the other hand is the movie Dunkirk tried to be, definitely watch.

Fury has great visuals and atmosphere, you have to turn your brain off for the final act though.

Midway is egregious green screen and not a good movie to watch either. The action parts are pretty much "group of guys scream in front of green screen."

Hacksaw ridge is very good, wasn't expecting much with the casting but pleasantly surprised and it's based on a story that they had to tone down for the movie.

Greyhound is something you need to see though. Highly recommend for a war movie, very little fat and wonderfully tense during the whole movie.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Can't go wrong with most of them, 1917 is something special.

But I probably like Fury the best, the whole cast is great.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
I have an Atmos soundbar with rear speakers. It isn't quite as convincing with the vertical effect as a dedicated system offers(or a soundbar with better upfiring), but its impressive enough. But yea, mostly looking for a good film with great audio to enjoy.

I knew Midway was cheescake from impressions(and didn't expect much in the poll) but have seen mentioned the audio is astounding in it, so I included. Probably will rent it at some point.
Nice. You'll have a good time with all of these from that perspective. Wasn't expecting anyone else to come in here and give an audio or home theater experience opinion on these. This forum in general doesn't seem to have many people who are into it or know much about it.

Spot on play for Miday. What I did was rent the blu ray (which has the Atmos mix) from a redbox at my local grocery store for like .99 back in February when it came out I think. Worth it that way

Edit: Fury could be the best of the bunch.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, Dunkirk.

This is despite the fact that I can't finish a second watching. 1917 is just pretty visuals but lifeless and logic defying. Hacksaw Ridge is enjoyable but is about hokey religion, lots of gore at the end, and is directed by Mel "Kill All The Jews" Gibson. Fury actually makes me upset with out inaccurate it is. And I never saw Midway.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Dunkirk is a disservice to the actual event. The movie is such a tiny scale compared to real life that it's hard to enjoy what was there. Terrible war movie.
"terrible" is a step too far for me, but yeah the small scale of what we actually see on screen compared to the real life scale, along with the level of hype the movie got, is very disappointing.

This movie was good, more of a drama than action though: