• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which of these canon ships do you hate the most?

• Anakin x Padme

Votes: 61 7.3%
  • Sesshomaru x Rin

Votes: 97 11.6%
  • Light x Misa

Votes: 21 2.5%
  • Sasuke x Sakura

Votes: 182 21.7%
  • Future Trunks x Mai /Trunks x Mai

Votes: 26 3.1%
  • Miroku x Sango

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Rey x Kylo Ren

Votes: 450 53.6%

• Total voters

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Sakura didn't have to end up the way she did. Kishimoto just never bothered to give her a good hook until she went off to train with Tsunade and then he sidelined her for the whole of Shippuden.

She may not have had Kurama or a Sharingan, but you could've done a lot with her practically immortal body, obscene physical capabilities and ability to passively heal her allies of their injuries too. It would've meant so much if she had taken on Madara instead of Might Guy and pushed him that hard, especially after Tsunade struggled against a much weaker Madara but nope - Team 7 was never Team 7, it was just Naruto and Sasuke and that sucks.

Then in Boruto she's just a housewife or something? Naruto and Sasuke get to be integral to the running of Konoha but Sakura stays in the kitchen. It's pathetic.

Remember when Kishimoto devoted almost an entire chapter to Sakura lamenting how she's always been looking at Naruto and Sasuke's backs as they race off ahead of her and now they're going to look at her back because she's ready to stand up and be counted?

Then she went straight back to the sidelines the next chapter or the one after that

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I picked anakin and padme but reylo sucks too. How could she be attracted to someone responsible for the deaths of billions?

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly enough, Padme x Anakin barely has any votes. This is telling me that Era hates Kylo Ren x Rey more than they do Anakin x Padme.

I almost voted for Kylo x Rey before I noticed that fucked Inuyasha pairing lol.

But add me to the camp that isn't really bothered by Anakin and Padme. He falls in love with her as a boy, but she doesn't return his affection until years later, right?

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
those poll options are like
characters didn't end up with whom I wanted them to end up
character I like x character I don't like
ancient demon man literally grooming a 12yo
this pairings colors don't match up well

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Rey x Kylo. Light and Misa were both horrendous people who deserved each other, so screw'em.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Sess x Rin. There are objections for the others, but really, are we saying Rey x Kylo is worse than pedo stuff?

What would the poll results be if Sesshomaru didn't look like a pretty demon boi?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of these are awful, awful pairings for so many very good reasons. But Kylo Ren literally committed genocide, blowing up planets with billions of people, and Rey was fully aware of that. He murdered Han and (indirectly) Luke, who Rey cared about. And he tried to murder Rey herself multiple times. The fucking gall to make Rey even have an ounce of sympathy for this piece of garbage, let alone falling in love with him without intentionally portraying her as villainous in the end.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sesshomaru X Rin makes Sesshomaru almost as bad as Happosai in my eyes. And the fact that there are two Inuyasha pairings in the poll says something about the creepy shit the series is willing to stoop to.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The fuck I'm seeing here? Seshomaru and Rin hooks up? I remember that anime but weren't like parent/adoptive daughter (and like 10 or so).

Nov 7, 2019
Rey and Kylo were a Dyad in the force, their connection makes sense and honestly I dont think either of them were in love. They just cared deeply for eachother despite being on opposite sides. They had great on screen chemistry and lets not forget that Luke wanted to redeem his father despite him being far more evil than Kylo.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
But Rey x Kyle ren isn't a ship. The novelization clarified she did it like he was a brother.

/s

but seriously they didn't have a real ship Until the third movie IMO, just characters playing off each other's differences

anakin/Padme tho were supposed to be real and that one was terrible

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I didn't watch far enough in InuYasha to know what's up with that and frankly, I don't want to find out.

I voted for Anakin x Padme but Kylo x Rey works, too. They keep pushing zero chemistry romance in Star Wars and I'm not having it.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
The Poppy Wars by RF Kuang.

I made this thread to recommend it, and I honestly regret selling it like I do in the thread. The series is still really good and worth reading but any comparison to HP is not representative of the series as a whole. It's just like the first third-first half of the first book. And now that I am rereading the thread, the kung fu aspect really dropped off as well. As of the third book, the kung fu aspect really dropped off too and the main character just mainly uses her magic powers now nad tries to outmaneuver the enemy using military tactics with giant armies and magic as tactical weaponry.

It's no longer Harry Potter with Kung Fu and war crimes, it's really just war crimes.

People don't hate Anakin and Padme, they just don't care about her because she's such a bland character that she basically functions as a plot device to give birth to Luke and Leia.

Padme doesn't have enough of a character for people to hate.

Dunno why, but from the description you gave of this book earlier in the thread, I think you may like the traitor baru cormorant.

Also, you have sold that book to me. Been looking at it for a while, but never go the motivation to read it. Female protagonist, bad relationships and war crimes somehow sold it to me. Oh wait, thats what prompted my recommendation...

Sasuke and Sakura by far.

Sasuke literally gave zero fucks about her the entire series, and even tried to kill her.
Then they get married and have kids, and then he goes off wandering wherever and never seeing her family. lol fuck off with this crap.

They sort of work because most of their reconciliation happens off-panel and Boruto-era Sasuske is pretty much a different character. So in that story they are fine. In Naruto though? Yeah. Big yikes.

I didn't watch far enough in InuYasha to know what's up with that and frankly, I don't want to find out.

I voted for Anakin x Padme but Kylo x Rey works, too. They keep pushing zero chemistry romance in Star Wars and I'm not having it.

Right? Like who looked at Poe/Fin or Rey/Fin or Poe/Rey or Rey/Self-Love, and were like, 'nah, fuck chemistry, lets pair her up with the abusive asshole.'

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno why, but from the description you gave of this book earlier in the thread, I think you may like the traitor baru cormorant.

Also, you have sold that book to me. Been looking at it for a while, but never go the motivation to read it. Female protagonist, bad relationships and war crimes somehow sold it to me. Oh wait, thats what prompted my recommendation...
That one is already in the barrel, it's just a matter of when I get to it. I'll keep it in mind tho.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Reylo is terrible because it comes out of nowhere in the finale of an awful movie that attempts to redeem Ben Solo for all the unforgivable things he's done over the course of the trilogy. I've seen all the other examples, and while they are various levels of bad they were at least set up in universe so it made sense as to why they happened.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Reylo and SasuSaku suck for pushing the big fantasy that if you're just persistent enough and give them enough chances you can change a supremely abusive/toxic person.

Both should've ended up more like Anakin/Padme

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Then I saw the survey and was like oh that type of ship. Why is miroku and sango even an option?

Probably because they made it a running gag that he was constantly groping her.

Right? Like who looked at Poe/Fin or Rey/Fin or Poe/Rey or Rey/Self-Love, and were like, 'nah, fuck chemistry, lets pair her up with the abusive asshole.'

You underestimate the thirst of basic white girls. These are the same groups who paired Draco with Hermione even though he was a fucking bigot, loved Zuko and Katara simply because of the hard-on for the enemies-to-love trope, thought it would be a betrayal for Sakura to move on from her first love even though Sasuke made repeated attempts to murder her.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I've never seen InuYasha, from what I understand from the thread the show was either very fucked up, and/or people defintion of grooming is way broader than what I found on wikipedia.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Reylo as it was is my choice. I'm not against this idea but the way it was done (from VII to IX) was bad.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
That's a really good point.

Anakin admits to Padme that he massacred men, women and children like animals and she replies with "to be angry is to be human" and then she marries him by the end of the movie and doesn't tell anyone about it.

Meh that happened with my ex GF and her ex BF (hopefully minus the getting married part.) people in abusive relationships will forgive a lot.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I mean... Light literally just uses Misa as a disposable tool. So that would probably be the worst in terms of the actual relationship.

Rey and Kylo was probably the worst in terms of execution. The kiss at the end was incredibly forced and awkward.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Man that's a lot of shit pairings in that list. It's straight up composed of abusers or pedophiles and there are ships that are on par or even worse that aren't listed there.

Out of all the garbage that is on the list, at least Light x Misa isn't seen as a positive within the story, unlike the rest on the list.

Sasuke x Sakura is a garbage ship. We aren't given a reason why Sakura likes Sasuke beyond his looks and Sasuke tries to kill her multiple times. And yet, it looks good compared to Reylo--a pairing that just came out of nowhere, and why the hell want anything to do with the murderous space nazi? Why did the series try to redeem the murderous space nazi at the last minute?

Still, I picked Rin x Sesshoumaru since that involves grooming. It was a pretty close choice between that and Reylo. Mai and Trunks is also problematic.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Sasuke and Sakura by far.

Sasuke literally gave zero fucks about her the entire series, and even tried to kill her.
Then they get married and have kids, and then he goes off wandering wherever and never seeing her family. lol fuck off with this crap.

Worse than Sesshomaru grooming a child?

I mean objectively, SasuSaku is probably still not as bad as even Light x Misa since Light actively despises Misa whereas Sasuke is just neglectful.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

I mean objectively, SasuSaku is probably still not as bad as even Light x Misa since Light actively despises Misa whereas Sasuke is just neglectful.
I think it's a mistake to have intermixed different reasons for dislike.

SasuSaku is just one of the most horrendously written pairings I've ever seen and I hate it because it was a severe detriment to the series any time it took center stage. This was meant to be a straightforward love story, but it doesn't inspire emotions of affection or happiness because these characters actual relationship is so horribly hollow and performative.

LightMisa is problematic in the greater scope of how the author writes women, but is otherwise a depicted as an unhealthy relationship that serves the story (not only does Light manipulate Misa for her affection, it also shows a different side of him when he loses his memory, ei incorperating the relationship into the intellectual shadow game that is the story of Deathnote). It's well written in that sense and has no detriment to the story unless you just categorically find misa annoying, which maybe is fair, but if that's the case, I wouldn't say you have a problem with the pairing, just Misa's character presentation. But their disturbing relationship pretty much pulls off it's intended effect, to discomfort you to some extent.

Sess-Rin on the other hand is purely problematic without any actual story relevance. Which is to say, it happens during a time skip, so we effectively have no story reference for it happening, we just see the consequences of it in the twins and we can only really disapprove of it in the general sense, like how you may disapprove of any murders Sess did of human beings when before he met Rin. Yeah, it's not good thing, but you're not going to react to it as a story element the way you do SasuSaku or LightMisa that plays out as your watching and has actual narrative impact. It's just a thing that happened that we in the real world disapprove of.

So you may hate SasuSaku because it's just badly written, you may hate LightMisa just because of superficial displeasures like Misa's voice or cutesy attitude, and you may hate Sess-RIn for non-diegetic reasons of how it permits tacitly condones the pedophilic subculture within their audience. Some of those might overlap and I might have missed a few ways, but those are honestly all categorically different experiences for me and I don't really know how to rank "I do not care about these characters but I socially disapprove of their union" vs "I am super invested in the story and these characters, but their relationship is in no way believable and causes major pacing issues and story beat problems"

Last edited:

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

I don't know much about the Sesshomaru situation, but does the Light & Misa relationship really fit here?
I mean, iirc he's just manipulating and using her and they're only a couple from her point of view. I took it this thread meant actual couples as they're into it mutually.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
say what you want about Rise of Skywalker Reylo but Reylo in TLJ was steamy. I get the vapors just thinking about it.

Enthuzed

Apr 21, 2020
Reylo is complete trash and the way fans are in denial how awful it is makes it the worst.

At least most Naruto fans recognize Sauske/Sakura is a garbage pairing.

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
say what you want about Rise of Skywalker Reylo but Reylo in TLJ was steamy. I get the vapors just thinking about it.
One really cool unexplored path is that Rey has a unique relationship in Kylo Ren in that she knows him personally. In contrast, Poe and Finn only know him from the opening scene of TFA.

I think Rey more or less shut the door on him in TLJ and saw him as an enemy, but she would still have a more humanized idea of him, and I always thought that one of the more interesting conversations they could have had is that Finn and Poe could relate that while she may have gotten into his head and seen he's not all evil, they mainly remember him from the village he made Finn slaughter and the torture he inflicted on Poe. It would be a bit of a wake up call that even though she is the protagonist and has seen Kylo's more human side, he's just a straight up monster to everyone else.

moriquendi

Oct 27, 2017
I voted Rey/Kylo but mainly because other then Anakin/Padme I didn't recognize any of the other pairings.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Can't believe I'm one of the few that picked Light x Misa. Granted, it's been well over a decade since I watched Death Note, but... hang on, let me check.

...14 years since I've watched Death Note, but I distinctly remember Light x Misa being a "relationship" in the loosest sense of the word. A stalker and a serial killer who's only using her to continue to play god.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So many hard choices. lol

Went with Reylo because it's underbaked and thrown in there pretty much at the last minute, has horrific implications, and Kylo dies after a single kiss so they don't even explore it in any interesting manner.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't know much about the Sesshomaru situation, but does the Light & Misa relationship really fit here?
I mean, iirc he's just manipulating and using her and they're only a couple from her point of view. I took it this thread meant actual couples as they're into it mutually.

Can't believe I'm one of the few that picked Light x Misa. Granted, it's been well over a decade since I watched Death Note, but... hang on, let me check.

...14 years since I've watched Death Note, but I distinctly remember Light x Misa being a "relationship" in the loosest sense of the word. A stalker and a serial killer who's only using her to continue to play god.

Yeah, Misa & Light are actually dating. They go on dates, they live together, they have sex, and he even asked her to marry him. But Light cheats on her, verbally abuses her and manipulates her feelings for his own benefit. He hates her but he needs her.

And yeah, it's a serial killer and his lunatic yandere stalker.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Sesshomaru x Rin is arguably the worst of the entire bunch in the poll. That shit is gross.

Then Kylo x Rey. But that shipping is as terrible as the entire movie.

Trunks x Mai is a weird one.

Also, please, don't mention Usagi Drop. As far as I am aware, there is only an anime adaptation of Usagi Drop and it ends with the MC taking care of his adopted daughter and possibly being interested in the mother of his daughter's friend.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Sesshomaru x Rin is arguably the worst of the entire bunch in the poll. That shit is gross.

Then Kylo x Rey. But that shipping is as terrible as the entire movie.

Trunks x Mai is a weird one.

Also, please, don't mention Usagi Drop. As far as I am aware, there is only an anime adaptation of Usagi Drop and it ends with the MC taking care of his adopted daughter and possibly being interested in the mother of his daughter's friend.

There seems to be a little cottage industry with these grooming stories. Mostly in Japan, but I have seen plenty of western writers pull this shit. Even respectable authors dip in: that's right Anne McCaffrey, even 15yo me thought that the shit you pulled in Damia was weird.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Misa & Light are actually dating. They go on dates, they live together, they have sex, and he even asked her to marry him. But Light cheats on her, verbally abuses her and manipulates her feelings for his own benefit. He hates her but he needs her.

And yeah, it's a serial killer and his lunatic gandered stalker.
That doesn't necessarily make them a couple, in the full sense of the word. It's Light being his manipulating sociopathic self, but I guess we disagree on what the term "canon shipping" means.
I think it means two characters that most/some fans want them as a couple and then they actually become a couple out of mutual love.
Were Light & Misa "shipped" by fans? (I was about middle school age when this anime was ongoing so I wasn't into all the commentary)
As I see it, I don't think Light & Misa fit in here, but again we just might have different interpretations.