• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one?

• Sephiroth

Votes: 595 47.3%
  • Geralt

Votes: 94 7.5%
  • Vergil

Votes: 347 27.6%
  • Arthas

Votes: 125 9.9%
  • Raiden

Votes: 97 7.7%

• Total voters

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Its clearly Arthas, anyone not picking Arthas hasnt played warcraft 3 or WoW.
I mean it's been almost twenty years but I remember being able to tank Arthas with a couple of warriors (who he most certainly could NOT kill in one blow) and melting him with like three focused archers

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
One of sephiroths moves is to destroy the entire solar system, he can cast it multiple times.

No contest.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
One of sephiroths moves is to destroy the entire solar system, he can cast it multiple times.

No contest.

Pretty much. It obviously doesn't make any sense but IS in the game. Unless your character is just ignoring multiple attacks that shred solar systems back to back Sephy takes this in a walk.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Vergil bodies the rest for free. Anyone going "but Super Nova", if he could actually do that and it wasn't just video games he wouldn't need Meteor.

And without Super Nova, Seph gets trashed by Vergil even as badass of a fighter as Seph is.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Vergil bodies the rest for free. Anyone going "but Super Nova", if he could actually do that and it wasn't just video games he wouldn't need Meteor.

And without Super Nova, Seph gets trashed by Vergil even as badass of a fighter as Seph is.

Vergil wears himself out on sephiroth clones and never sees the meteor that lands on him from outer space coming

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see anything in there that says "able to tank an attack that atomized 4 planets and messed up the sun." let alone "easily"
sargeras cuts planets in half for fun. that's equivalent.

azeroth got stabbed and bled a little. she seems durable enough. plus she's protected by many other things than just herself: titan facilities, gods, titans, etc because it turns out a lot of things besides Sargeras want to actually take control of azeroth so loads of cosmic individuals have a vested interest in the planet surviving. Heck, one of the gods who watches over it, Elune, literally creates stars instantly and with no effort, and there's no way she's letting her part-time farm disappear.

but it really comes down to this:

sephiroth slashes at arthas. arthas near invulnerable god armor pieces just deflect. arthas slashes back and cuts him in half, and while slashing absorbs his soul along the way. if he dies from being cut in half, arthas permanently absorbs his soul. That's just how it will go.

there isn't anything sephiroth can do to stop arthas. he's just too stronk.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Geralt seems pretty out of place. I nominate Edelgard to replace him. She still won't really hang with Sephiroth or Arthas though.

i looked up this "Arthas" fellow and is this him?

If that's the case, then he loses to 25 player created heroes? Doesnt seem all that strong to me in actuality. Im sure he has some BS lore, but so do most characters in fiction? Im not impressed tbh. Getting his ass beat to PUGs is kinda wack ... (and hilarious).

I'm pretty sure in the lore the 25 player characters are just counted as Tyrion Fordring's sidekicks.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Its clearly Arthas, anyone not picking Arthas hasnt played warcraft 3 or WoW.
Played both. Arthas' feats just aren't even close to what Sephiroth can do. In general the power level in WoW (while often said to be of cosmic scale) isn't really on par with a given anime game. The bosses in WoW get down on the ground and fight evenly against mortals with conventional weapons, canonically. It's like Sauron is an extremely powerful threat in Lord of the Rings but is still susceptible to a mortal man with a weapon crafted by mortals. Sephiroth would clown on Sauron despite his legendary power because they're not from universes with the same internal logic. The same goes for World of Warcraft; Arthas never demonstrates power even close to Sephiroth's despite the in lore power of Frostmourne.

Meanwhile in Sephiroth's world the protagonists are able to summon laser dragons from space that drop literal orbital lasers on him. This is part of their standard repertoire.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Played both. Arthas' feats just aren't even close to what Sephiroth can do. In general the power level in WoW (while often said to be of cosmic scale) isn't really on par with a given anime game. The bosses in WoW get down on the ground and fight evenly against mortals with conventional weapons, canonically. It's like Sauron is an extremely powerful threat in Lord of the Rings but is still susceptible to a mortal man with a weapon crafted by mortals. Sephiroth would clown on Sauron despite his legendary power because they're not from universes with the same internal logic. The same goes for World of Warcraft; Arthas never demonstrates power even close to Sephiroth's despite the in lore power of Frostmourne.

Meanwhile in Sephiroth's world the protagonists are able to summon laser dragons from space that drop literal orbital lasers on him. This is part of their standard repertoire.
Frostmourne, Helm of Domination, and Breastplate of the Damned are titan level gear. It can only destroyed by the same affinity or its opposite IE Sylvanas using Death or Tyrion using Light, but even then you need A LOT of it. Ashbringer who breaks Frostmourne because Ashbringer has a naaru core that reignited by magic, and that core came from a supposedly super strong Naaru (the leaders of the Light), and Sylvanas was using borrowed death power from the strongest death titan Zovaal.

Sephiroth has no physical way to actually hurt Arthas. Frostmourne is even capable of hitting things that aren't there because it makes things corporeal.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Vergil is way more consistent in how his power ramps up. Sephiroth, being on that wack JRPG scheduling, needs like 2 forms and 30 minutes of dialogue to reach max crazy. I could easily see it being a draw for a good chunk of time, it's hard to compare.

Arthas and Raiden are interesting because they could theoretically keep up before Vergil/Seph goes max edgelord.

Geralt is a hilarious addition because even in his own books and games, he can be so hilariously outclassed, and Geralt knows and tries to avoid this. Imaging him against Vergil or Sephiroth and going "Ah, fuck." is completely on-brand for him.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Frostmourne, Helm of Domination, and Breastplate of the Damned are titan level gear. It can only destroyed by the same affinity or its opposite IE Sylvanas using Death or Tyrion using Light, but even then you need A LOT of it. Ashbringer who breaks Frostmourne because Ashbringer has a naaru core that reignited by magic, and that core came from a supposedly super strong Naaru (the leaders of the Light), and Sylvanas was using borrowed death power from the strongest death titan Zovaal.

Sephiroth has no physical way to actually hurt Arthas. Frostmourne is even capable of hitting things that aren't there because it makes things corporeal.
Arthas would never get close to cutting Sephiroth, their feats of strength and speed aren't on par with one another. Sephiroth also has an embarrassment of magic at his disposal before you even begin considering melee weaponry or even meteor, and Sephiroth's attacks themselves are clearly magical- he's able to do shit like slice apart items much larger than the length of his sword and project slashes at long range. Add on to this that Sephiroth is able to survive an apocalyptic meteor that would wipe out all life on the planet.

A western fantasy entity will almost never beat a sufficiently anime entity without "fuck you I'm omnipotent" powers because feats of power just aren't done the same way across the two genres. Arthas has gaps in his armor and he's so slow comparatively to Sephiroth that he could just take his time to land blows.

Or alternatively Sephiroth could just vaporize Arthas with meteor and his "Titan level" artifacts could just clatter to the ground, empty.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Vergil is way more consistent in how his power ramps up. Sephiroth, being on that wack JRPG scheduling, needs like 2 forms and 30 minutes of dialogue to reach max crazy. I could easily see it being a draw for a good chunk of time, it's hard to compare.

Arthas and Raiden are interesting because they could theoretically keep up before Vergil/Seph goes max edgelord.

Geralt is a hilarious addition because even in his own books and games, he can be so hilariously outclassed, and Geralt knows and tries to avoid this. Imaging him against Vergil or Sephiroth and going "Ah, fuck." is completely on-brand for him.
Geralt would literally just leave!

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
sargeras cuts planets in half for fun. that's equivalent.

Cant say i agree at all that cutting a planet in half is equivalent to atomizing 4 of them while expanding the diameter of the sun by 187 million miles.

You're comparing cutting a Toyota corolla in half with leaving all of Japan a smoking crater.

And Sephy can pull off that attack more than once without effort.

but it really comes down to this:

It really doesn't. Sephiroth is able to dish out far more damage than anyone in WOW history has ever done without breaking a sweat. He wiggles his fingers and arthas is blasted to subatomic particles.[/quote]

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Cant say i agree at all that cutting a planet in half is equivalent to atomizing 4 of them while expanding the diameter of the sun by 187 million miles.

You're comparing cutting a Toyota corolla in half with leaving all of Japan a smoking crater.

It really doesn't. Sephiroth is able to dish out far more damage than anyone in WOW history has ever done without breaking a sweat. He wiggles his fingers and arthas is blasted to subatomic particles.
Well

He wiggles his fingers and Arthas takes 15/16 of his HP in damage

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Asura.jpg

Um...this guy.
Why are his nipples situated in the middle of his sixpack?

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
The trick here is that both of the frontrunners in the poll have vocal tracks as their boss themes.
As soon as those lyrics kick in, it's Raiden's time to turn the tables and start cutting super-attacks in half in slow motion.
Sephy and Vergil secretly never stood a chance.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Why do you hate Geralt, OP?

Also, has anyone suggested Ragna the Bloodedge yet? I would think his feats as the Black Beast would let him at least hang with Sephiroth and Vergil for a while.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Arthas would never get close to cutting Sephiroth, their feats of strength and speed aren't on par with one another. Sephiroth also has an embarrassment of magic at his disposal before you even begin considering melee weaponry or even meteor, and Sephiroth's attacks themselves are clearly magical- he's able to do shit like slice apart items much larger than the length of his sword and project slashes at long range. Add on to this that Sephiroth is able to survive an apocalyptic meteor that would wipe out all life on the planet.

A western fantasy entity will almost never beat a sufficiently anime entity without "fuck you I'm omnipotent" powers because feats of power just aren't done the same way across the two genres. Arthas has gaps in his armor and he's so slow comparatively to Sephiroth that he could just take his time to land blows.

Or alternatively Sephiroth could just vaporize Arthas with meteor and his "Titan level" artifacts could just clatter to the ground, empty.
Just being hit by Frostmourne steals parts of your soul weakening you and strengthen Arthas. Sephiroth doesn't have the power to damage the armor with his sword. It just doesn't work. Arthas is literally the proxy of a god of death and is above the Titans in strength, who only gets stronger as more and more beings die in the universe and are sent to the Maw.

And no, you cannot just vaporize Arthas within the suit, it protects your entire being.

It really doesn't. Sephiroth is able to dish out far more damage than anyone in WOW history has ever done without breaking a sweat. He wiggles his fingers and arthas is blasted to subatomic particles.

The power structures in WoW don't work the way you think it does. There's affinities and they all have their weaknesses. The Lich King armor set can only be destroyed by Death or Light magic as Death is the power that created it, and Light is its opposite. So you cannot just vaporize it somehow, it's too magically imbued to be affected when it's on that type of cosmic level. And physical attacks don't affect the armor, has to be death or light imbued. Or it will require some unknown ability of a First One (creators of the WoW universe). As far as I know, Sephiroth doesn't have these specific properties, and Sephiroth is susceptible everything Arthas can do.

This doesn't even take into the fact that Arthas is a proxy for Zovaal and Zovaal becomes stronger and stronger the more beings that die and go to the Maw, and a lot of people die in the warcraft universe daily. The current expansion is about him breaking the process of soul placement in the afterlife so all the souls go to the Maw so he can become super god that can rewrite reality to his whims when he breaks free from the Maw.

Like, sure blow up the planet but he's still a proxy of a God.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you kill Sephiroth he comes back as glowy cancer to kill you and most of the worlds population too so I'm not sure who wins in that scenario

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just being hit by Frostmourne steals parts of your soul weakening you and strengthen Arthas. Sephiroth doesn't have the power to damage the armor with his sword. It just doesn't work. Arthas is literally the proxy of a god of death and is above the Titans in strength, who only gets stronger as more and more beings die in the universe and are sent to the Maw.

And no, you cannot just vaporize Arthas within the suit, it protects your entire being.
Sephiroth would never be hit, again the discrepancy between their speed and physical strength is crazy.

There's also no evidence that Arthas is rendered utterly invulnerable by his armor. The raid party that takes him out damages him the entire time he's wearing it, and burns him down of his last 5% of health or so while he's still wearing it after Fordring shatters Frostmourne.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
A western fantasy entity will almost never beat a sufficiently anime entity without "fuck you I'm omnipotent" powers because feats of power just aren't done the same way across the two genres.

This though i'll take issue with. There are DEFINITELY some extremely nasty entities wandering around in Western SciFi/Fantasy, but you'll need to read more than Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter to find out about them.

Hell, there are dozens of entities wandering around in Star Trek alone so OP no anime character could scratch them.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I honestly don't k ow much about Serphiroph.

But I will say that Vergil has that Superman thing in Vs fights where regardless of the other person's super moves and extreme power levels, he is capable of moving so fast and hitting so hard (with the Yamato) he can blitz insta-kill the person he's fighting before their brain is capable of even registering hes moved.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
It's Arthas. He cannot die unless on Ice Crown and you need some serious Light to do it. Like, you need an Ashbringer that's so infused by the Naaru it can break it. Only the power of death or light can really break it. He has an endless army that could decimate the entire planet very, very quickly. The Helm of Domination was designed to be a link for Zovaal to take over Azeroth, and Frostmourne is a titan++ weapon. Its replacement is enough to hurt a being on par with a Titan who is so strong it can pick up giant parasitic things from the planet like they're roots and reshape planets with their hands.

Arthas has some very OP items that Sephiroth and them cannot compete with. He's literally wearing god-tier level items within his respective universe, and those gods are insanely strong.
Problem with all of your arguments is that you're allowing Arthas' universe's rules whilst ignoring Sephiroth's. If Sephiroth uses Meteor and melds with the planet then he's essentially becoming an entity far beyond the level of any of the titans. If for whatever reason Sephiroth dies, another clone has their Jenova cells reactivated. He's pretty much a Lovecraftian entity. Oh, and FF7R makes him even more ridiculous but that's spoiler territory at this point.
On top of that, his physical strength, agility, and magic already far outstrip anything Arthas is capable of doing. I've not played Shadowlands, but I assume there's additional BS that's been thrown in by Blizzard's atrocious writing team to make him immortal or something, but that doesn't matter because he'd never get Sephiroth into a losing position to begin with because Sephiroth overpowers him to a ridiculous degree. Sephiroth is the spawn of an eldritch space creature that manages to do what the Burning Legion does, except without needing a legion as back up.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This though i'll take issue with. There are DEFINITELY some extremely nasty entities wandering around in Western SciFi/Fantasy, but you'll need to read more than Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter to find out about them.

Hell, there are dozens of entities wandering around in Star Trek alone so OP no anime character could scratch them.
I was going to write a reply to this but it's so weirdly condescendingly phrased that I think I won't bother.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help with the power levels here?

I only know Geralt.

And a all I remember of Sephiroth is his big sword, dumb theme song, and he turned into half a bird one time?

Give us a little more to work with.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If they're all just, like, in a field Geralt could win if he just straight up runs away when the other four are fighting, waits until the winner takes a well earned nap, and sneaks up to slit their throat.

The real answer is Kirby that copied Sephiroth.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Can someone help with the power levels here?

I only know Geralt.

And a all I remember of Sephiroth is his big sword, dumb theme song, and he turned into half a bird one time?

Give us a little more to work with.
Each of the listed people here—except Geralt—is about as powerful as the fiction of their universes allow

They all also operate off of very different laws of physics, though

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
More importantly, who has the best theme?

I'm stuck between Bury The Light and One-Winged Angel.

Going with Sephiroth, his lyric crack me up.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
this thread rapidly descended into a big fight between western edgelord arthas and japanese edgelord sephiroth

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing about supernova, it's not an actual supernova but an illusion created by old sephiroth. It's why i doesn't wipe the party outright, he's just messing with them and playing to their fears.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know enough about Vergil's power set but Sephiroth would wipe the floor with the other three.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Sephiroth would never be hit, again the discrepancy between their speed and physical strength is crazy.

There's also no evidence that Arthas is rendered utterly invulnerable by his armor. The raid party that takes him out damages him the entire time he's wearing it, and burns him down of his last 5% of health or so while he's still wearing it after Fordring shatters Frostmourne.
That's kind of just game mechanics to visually show the boss is dying.

And Sephiroth would be hit pretty quickly cause, well, that's one of his weaknesses (as per the fandom wiki):

characterprofile.fandom.com

Sephiroth (Final Fantasy)

Sephiroth is the main antagonist of the JRPG 'Final Fantasy VII'. He is nicknamed the One Winged Angel. 1 Background 2 Powers & Abilities 3 Equipment 4 Transformations 4.1 Bizarro Sephiroth 4.2 Safer-Sephiroth 5 Feats 5.1 Strength 5.2 Speed 5.3 Durability 5.4 Skill 6 Weaknesses 7 Fun Facts...

Weaknesses
  • Arrogant and crazy.
  • Never uses his full potential.
  • He cannot perform any magic-based attacks with his Materia should he run out of MP (though Bizarro and Safer Sephiroth forms do not rely on Materia and effectively have limitless MP, constantly replenishing it to full).
  • Heartless Angel also leaves him open to attack if he activates it.

I can see him being arrogant enough that he plays sword fighting with Arthas, and at that point Frostmourne slices through his stuff because Frostmourne is a titan level weapon and titans are extremely durable to wear normal stuff needs an obscene amount of power behind it and even then it's a scratch.

Problem with all of your arguments is that you're allowing Arthas' universe's rules whilst ignoring Sephiroth's. If Sephiroth uses Meteor and melds with the planet then he's essentially becoming an entity far beyond the level of any of the titans. If for whatever reason Sephiroth dies, another clone has their Jenova cells reactivated. He's pretty much a Lovecraftian entity. Oh, and FF7R makes him even more ridiculous but that's spoiler territory at this point.
On top of that, his physical strength, agility, and magic already far outstrip anything Arthas is capable of doing. I've not played Shadowlands, but I assume there's additional BS that's been thrown in by Blizzard's atrocious writing team to make him immortal or something, but that doesn't matter because he'd never get Sephiroth into a losing position to begin with because Sephiroth overpowers him to a ridiculous degree. Sephiroth is the spawn of an eldritch space creature that manages to do what the Burning Legion does, except without needing a legion as back up.

I am fine with all the rules from all universe's being in place. Arthas would still be on top because his rules of cosmic affinities still apply, and Sephiroth even with his magic affinity doesn't align with WoW's, so unless he just asap learns death or light magic he has no chance.

The Lich Ling armor set was created to be near invulnerable by WoW's standards meaning it can tank a whole lot physically, and the only things that seem to damage it to any degree are Death or Light abilities or physical abilities infused with Light or Death.

Arthas as an individual isn't strong. It's when he wears the Lich King armor set is when he gets strong, and so do any of the wearers unless Zovaal deems it which is why Sylvanas was given enough strength to destroy the helmet, but you can only do that with a lot of Death or Light magic of which Sephiroth doesn't actually have, and that's key.

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

This is only even slightly true if we take only white haired dudes with swords into account. And even then...