• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which of these critically acclaimed games from 2019 that I missed should I prioritize?

• Judgment

Votes: 23 16.1%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Votes: 23 16.1%
  • Outer Wilds

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Disco Elysium

Votes: 49 34.3%

• Total voters

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I have a nearly clear backlog and a few games this year that looked great but I did not get around to for one reason or another. I like a wide variety of games and could see each of these offering me something valuable that is different from the others. Feel free to post your impressions and fight for your favorite!

Outer Wilds - Heard this is a special game that a fan of Majora's Mask would love

Disco Elysium - Honestly never played a game like this before but I'm intrigued

The Outer Worlds - It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a Fallout as 4 and 76 (duh) fell really flat for me, but I would appreciate something like New Vegas

Judgment - I loved Yakuza 0-2 and 6 (need to check out that 3/4/5 collection)! This looks unique enough to not make me burned out early on

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Loved Star Wars stuff as a kid and am a long time fan of Soulsborne games and Metroidvanias

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Disco Elysium is the most important game released this decade.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Judgment is an excellent spin-off of Yakuza with great characters and a new perspective on Kamurocho. Definitely my pick out of that bunch.

Oct 25, 2017
1) Disco Elysium - It's a fantastic RPG with the best writing in forever.

2) Outer Wilds

Outer Worlds and Fallen Order are pretty average, haven't played Judgement.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I'd do Outer Wilds > Disco Elysium > Judgement > The Outer Worlds > Star Wars. It's weird this forum is sleeping this hard on Outer Wilds, honestly.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I could not recommend Disco Elysium more. Incredible, incredible writing, and not just in the video game space - in general. But it's essentially a book that you play (or, probably more accurately, fifteen different books) so, you know, prepare for lots of reading.

Judgment has a damn captivating story, too. Gameplay was a bit subpar in my opinion and the side quests didn't live up to recent Yakuzas, but it's absolutely worth checking out if you're interested in a crime/court room drama story with lots of twists and turns.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
No bad games on this list, but from these picks I'd prioritize Disco Elysium and Outer Wilds. Maybe some other stuff from last year too but of course I don't know what you've already played.

Disco elysium is the only one. 2019 weak as fuck compared to what March 2020 looks like.

lol no.

Oct 25, 2017
Jedi is rough and will no doubt be cheaper this holiday season, but there's a nice surprise that you could easily have ruined for you (by a commercial no less), so I'd recommend getting to it ASAP. And by ASAP I mean after you play Disco.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've played all but Jedi. The order of recommendation I'd give would be:
Disco Elysium -> Outer Wilds -> Judgment

I'm a huge Yakuza fan, but I'd consider Outer Wilds and Disco Elysium to be contenders for best game of the gen or even all timers. I think they're absolutely essential.

Judgment was great, I'd say it was way better than FotNS and a higher effort product than the Kiwami games, but not up to the recent heights of Yakuza 0 or Y6. I'd fit it somewhere in the middle of the franchise in terms of quality.

I like Obsidian and New Vegas but I really didn't vibe with Outer Worlds.

Edit: I'll mention that I was able to enjoy Disco Elysium without a history of playing CRPGS. I think it's pretty welcoming to newcomers as long as you're okay with reading quite a bit of (wonderful) text.

Last edited:

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
just started outer wilds and played judgement as well. outer wilds is a fucking transcendent experience. incredible game.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds is one of those experiences that made me appreciate the medium more than before. It's a special, special game. If you love space & science fiction I'm confident in saying it will consume your thoughts and heart like few others — just a spectacular achievement.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like Outer Wilds and Disco Elysium are the most unique ones there, so theyre gonna be more memorable. I would recommend those.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Disco Elysium is the only game on that list that might legitimately change your life (or at least give you a lot to think about).