• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which of these consoles did you own?

• Panasonic 3DO

Votes: 39 9.1%
  • GoldStar 3DO

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Atari Jaguar

Votes: 45 10.5%
  • Sega Saturn

Votes: 190 44.3%
  • Neo Geo

Votes: 27 6.3%
  • Sega DreamCast

Votes: 370 86.2%
  • Other (Mention Below)

Votes: 63 14.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
nobody could actually afford a Neo Geo.

they was like $700. and thats in mid 90s money. Which is like $1600 today

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Out of those only DC. Had a friend that had a Saturn and a neighbor that had a Jaguar though that I'd play all the time. Once they were cheap in the early 00's I bought most of those systems though Saturn, 3DO and Neo-Geo CD.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I've never bought a truly failed console (Wii U/Vita are the closest but I don't consider them in the same league as these....they had a full life of software and sold better than any of these consoles). Mostly because I was Nintendo-only sans Virtual Boy up until the seventh generation, and by the time we hit the seventh generation we were at a point where failures like these probably wouldn't ever happen again.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Panasonic 3DO, the Sega Saturn, and the Sega Dreamcast at launch. I used to rent the Neo Geo system from a local game rental/corner convenience store. I couldn't quite pull the trigger on the Atari Jaguar but almost did several times.

I'll never forget walking into a Babbages way back then and being made aware that the Sega Saturn just released, had to have it.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I've never bought a truly failed console (Wii U/Vita are the closest but I don't consider them in the same league as these....they had a full life of software and sold better than any of these consoles). Mostly because I was Nintendo-only sans Virtual Boy up until the seventh generation, and by the time we hit the seventh generation we were at a point where failures like these probably wouldn't ever happen again.

Wii U and I'm sure the Vita have sold worst than Dreamcast.

Edit: Looking into it it looks like DC might have sold better then both combined.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never forget walking into a Babbages way back then and being made aware that the Sega Saturn just released, had to have it.

I won't forget walking into the local Toys 'R Us in '97 to see all of their Saturns were on clearance and selling for $50. A friend and I jumped on that and bought two systems each (we both had launch Saturns too). It was almost worth it for the controllers alone.

You also dodged a huge money sink with the Jaguar. The 3DO was bad enough, but at least it had SSF2T, Return Fire and I guess Alone in the Dark?

Last edited:

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Wish there were more JRPGs than Grandia 2 and Skies (there probably were) but between the SNK fighters, Capcom fighters and Sega's games at the time, Dreamcast was the perfect system for that time in my life. Didn't even need a PS2 til 2002.

Aug 10, 2019
My family owned an Atari 2600.

Between all my friends we owned every system and played every game we could get our hands on from that point forward, even expensive and obscure systems like the Neo Geo, 3DO, 32X Jaguar... By high school we would import stuff from a local anime store, and fly through a couple rentals in a weekend. As an adult it's easier to afford this, but as kids growing up in the 80's/90's we had to work as a group to convince our parents what to purchase and rent.

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I didn't have any on the list when the were still being made. Other than the Dreamcast, I didn't even know anyone with any of the consoles on the list.

Years later I bought a Saturn and a Dreamcast though. I play the Saturn occasionally, the Dreamcast just collects dust.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just the Dreamcast from the poll list.

I owned it until fall of 2018, then finally took it (along with every pre-current-gen piece of hardware or media) and sold it to a mom and pop game shop down the road from me. My dad's passing in 2018 kinda made me let go of a looooooot of my old stuff, not out of any sort of spite or even frustration, it just helped to let go of it all to deal with my feelings about his passing.

It was since then and only somewhat recently that I've adopted the "I need to keep my possessions trim" kinda philosophy.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
I put so many hours into Sega Rally and VF2 on the Saturn. What a crazy, underpowered, yet wonderful machine it was.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
I had the Saturn from when I was like 3 years old and it was a great machine!

The controller is, I think, still unmatched for 2d games. The d-pad was very, very good.

It played music CDs, which was a big deal at the time! The home screen was very "retro-futuristic" and would adapt to the music.

It felt cutting-edge at the time with all the 3D Arcade ports like Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 1 and 2, and Virtually Cop. I had an arcade-style pad for fighting games as well which made it even better.

And Panzer Dragoon was the most amazing thing to my young self. I only had 1 and 2, not Saga, but that world was so interesting.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
No one from the list, but I started with a MSX where I played Circus Charlie, Child Park, Penguin Adventure, Track and Field and the great Konami Soccer.

I played also some kind of isometric space shotter that was pretty impressive at the time but I can't remember its name.

Edit: Oh yeah, I think it was Zaxxon. It's pretty bad looking nowadays as expected...

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
None, although I only really wanted the Saturn at the time it was relevant.
I went with PS1 and N64 instead, mostly because not a single Saturn was being sold in a 100 mile radius around where I lived.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Dreamcast and Neo Geo owner here.

Bought the Neo Geo when in a share house, we divided up the cost of the box and two sticks, then every couple of months we'd trade our one game and buy a new one as a group. Dreamcast I bought on my first trip to Japan then got it multi-region modded when I got back to Aus.

My friend had a Saturn that I'd go and play and I rented a 3DO once from a mythical place known as a video store!

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I loved my N-Gage, I really don't get the hate. Did it replace my GBA? No. Was it capable of cool stuff I couldn't do/play on other phones? Absolutely! Native games, Symbian, emulation. It had a better d-pad than Switch too, go figure.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
I owned a Saturn and a Dreamcast back in the 90's/2000.

Always wanted an AES but could never justify ÂŁ150 per game.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Neo Geo was a bit out of my price range (hell, it still is) but I was all over the Saturn, one of the greatest consoles ever imo.

I also had a Dreamcast but wasn't quite as enamored with that one. The rest looked like shit even back then so I never had those and never will unless someone gives them to me.

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
So you got those consoles at a later date? With good prices I am guessing.

I remember buying Dream Cast and Nintendo 64 for $20 at local EB Games here in Toronto back in 2005.

But it is good to see you owned those consoles at some point in life. I would love to get my hands on them too, as a collector only.
I got the Dreamcast at launch, but yeah, everything else I bought later. Mostly for good prices, if I remember correctly. I paid $40 for my 3DO with a copy of Crash n Burn, so that was almost certainly a good deal. I think I paid about the same for my Jaguar and 5 games but honestly I probably would have been happier with the money.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
Based on that list, Saturn and Dreamcast.
There is only 1 person that I know which had a Neogeo back then.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Saturn and Dreamcast. Loved them both. So much Sega arcade awesomeness on those two systems, not to mention the other games.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I owned a Tiger R-Zone back in the day, baby!

Mine has still the red plastic as "screen", I thin it might be a collector's item since even the photo on Wikipedia lacks it.

Nov 4, 2017
A lot of those consoles never officially launched in Australia AFAIK. The Sega ones did, but I never even knew anybody with a Saturn. DreamCast had a cult following though, and my housemate had one in undergrad. We had a lot of fun with if.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
The only one of those I ever owned was the Dreamcast, and that was a good few years or so after its end of life. The 3DO's, neither I nor my friends ever wanted, the same goes for Jaguar. Neo Geo was the rich man's console that no one I knew had, and the Sega Saturn I never saw anyone have and I honestly don't even remember seeing them in the stores we visited. The only "obscure" one that I ever saw that wasn't an SNES/Genesis or PS1/N64 was a Turbo GFX 16 and a bud of mine had that, and we were all pretty impressed with it because it was very different than the 16 bit consoles we were accustomed to seeing.

I guess worth the mention, I had the Gamecom for what thats worth. That thing really sucked lol.