• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game was the best?

• Super Mario World

Votes: 121 21.6%
  • A Link to the Past

Votes: 102 18.2%
  • Super Metroid

Votes: 134 23.9%
  • Mega Man X

Votes: 38 6.8%
  • Final Fantasy III (VI)

Votes: 95 16.9%
  • Super Mario RPG

Votes: 25 4.5%
  • Donkey Kong Country (1, 2, or 3)

Votes: 46 8.2%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Before you say, "WHERE'S [GAME]?" these are my personal top games on the console.

Super Mario World

SNES_00.gif

Nintendo's flagship mascot character returned for another adventure as a follow-up to the NES' massively successful Mario Bros. 3. Essentially Mario Bros. 4 (and even called as such in Japan), World expanded on the Mario formula with explorable worlds, more secrets to find, a prehistoric theme, and most of all, Yoshi!

A Link to the Past

giphy.gif

After the departure Zelda II took, ALttP took it back to its roots with an overhead view and a more accessible difficulty. This game introduced us to two parallel worlds, the Master Sword, the seven maidens, and many other ideas or mechanics we would see used or re-adapted into Zelda games to come.

Super Metroid

giphy.gif

Samus Aran ventures back to Planet Zebes, facing off against the Space Pirates once again. Super Metroid is known for its intense atmosphere, freedom of exploration, sequence breaking, and defining an entire genre!

Mega Man X

giphy.gif

With a new system, came a new Mega Man. Mega Man X was like Mega Man's cooler older brother. He was older, he could dash, he had upgradable parts, his music was heavier, and the atmosphere was much darker.

Final Fantasy III (VI)

DistantHarmoniousEgret-small.gif

Perhaps the first Final Fantasy to truly break out in the west, Final Fantasy III (in actuality the sixth game in the series rebranded for an audience that never saw the true third, fourth, or fifth games) was a sweeping adventure with a colorful and likable cast of characters, unexpected twists and turns, and a large focus on narrative and story.

Super Mario RPG

62-vavavoom.gif

Perhaps not as "classic" as others on this list, Super Mario RPG holds a particularly special place in my heart for introducing me to RPGs. Starring our beloved Italian plumber, Mario must rescue Princess Toadstool from the evil Bowser...! Or so we think, as those are only the opening minutes of the game. An otherworldly entity named Smithy crashes into Bowser's Keep, sends Mario, Toadstool, and Bowser flying across the Mushroom Kingdom and beyond, and sets the stage for a story much more grand than Mario is used to. Developed by Squaresoft, Super Mario RPG was an unlikely collaboration between two industry giants.

Donkey Kong Country (1, 2, or 3)

giphy.gif

Also known as the games that came with free David Wise soundtracks. Ok, I kid (and the third game wasn't even composed by him). Donkey Kong Country and its sequels pushed the envelope for graphical fidelity at the time, reinvented Donkey Kong from the ground up, were dripping with colorful and thematically focused environments, and introduced us to many characters the Donkey Kong universe is known to use to this day. Oh, and the music really was that good.

Which of these games do you think was the best, and why?

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Of those, Final Fantasy VI by far. It introduced one of the best narratives for a JRPG, a sense of open worldness during WoR (which was groundbreaking for its time) and one of the best Villians in JRPG and Final Fantasy history. And of course, one of the best OST of all time.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I haven't played the DKC games yet, but I'm guessing they would probably top the list, at least 1/2. But otherwise, it's basically a tie between Super Mario World and Link to the Past for me.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I was very late to Super Mario RPG, I actually only finished it like 3 years ago. Yet... I think it holds up incredibly well and out of all the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games I've played... I think it's the best out of them all.

Final Fantasy VI I really need to replay at some point. I gave it a shot and finished it many years ago and I didn't have as much fun as the previous games or Chrono Trigger.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Super Metroid. Probably the only time I preferred the Metroid over Zelda on the same system. Well, maybe on GBA too (Fusion/Zero Mission over ALTTP DX/Minish Cap).

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Mario World with Super Metroid and LTTP close behind.

The holy triforce of video games.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
I was very late to Super Mario RPG, I actually only finished it like 3 years ago. Yet... I think it holds up incredibly well and out of all the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games I've played... I think it's the best out of them all.

Final Fantasy VI I really need to replay at some point. I gave it a shot and finished it many years ago and I didn't have as much fun as the previous games.

The back half of FF6 is pretty bad imo, just a lot of grinding and wandering around. IMO FF5 is kinda better than even FF6.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably DKC2, although I am absolutely no good at it. I can never find all the secrets.

A tier below that are LTTP and Super Metroid which are both trailblazing masterpieces that haven't aged a day.

After that is SMRPG, which is just a ton of fun.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Mega Man X is my favorite SNES game by a decent margin (followed by X2 & MM7).

I'm also a fan of Super Metroid, and to a lesser degree, ALttP. The rest, i couldn't care less about.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
A Link to the Past. I'm able to revisit it, Ocarina of Time, and Resident Evil 4 with no friction whatsoever across nearly any platform they appear on. The three games in my life that seem to exclusively hold that prestige.

Shout out to Super Metroid and Super Mario World too, though.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Trigger is missing, choices are invalid.

Edit: Also, this bit in the OP is wrong:
(in actuality the sixth game in the series rebranded for an audience that never saw the true third, fourth, or fifth games)

It was Final Fantasy 2, 3, and 5 that we didn't get, not 3, 4, and 5.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Oof, that's a tough choice. I'm gonna have to go with Super Metroid, though. It really opened my eyes to what was possible with level design as a kid. It sits comfortably in my all-time top-10 list.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
The back half of FF6 is pretty bad imo, just a lot of grinding and wandering around. IMO FF5 is kinda better than even FF6.

It actually was that second half that completely threw me off. When things felt aimless and I wasn't sure what to do, it made me quickly lose patience with many aspects of the game. I wonder if going in with more experience will let me enjoy things more.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
This is hard, all those games are godlike, but I'm with Super Metroid. The game is just ageless. ALTTP is also incredible.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Gonna go with DKC1 as my top pick and SMW in second. None of the others listed are games I'd ever want to play again.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
FF6 wishes it was half as good as chrono trigger
Final Fantasy VI is a fundamentally better game than Trigger. The character development alone puts it high above it considering very few characters get meaningful development in Trigger. Let's not even talk about setpieces like the Opera or the final boss fight, this would become embarassing.

Also, the World of Ruin is one of the boldest moves in the realm of SNES JRPGs.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Some really great games in this list but I would definitely go with Super Metroid. Playing that game for the first time was a true eye opener for me back then.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Chrono Trigger is the best of the SNES all-time greats. Of this list, I'd pick either Link to the Past or Final Fantasy VI. These games are all good, though.

Apr 19, 2018
It's a close one between A Link to the Past and Final Fantasy VI. Both absolutely excel as their respective genres or RPG.

Gonna have to give it to ALttP, though.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super Metroid is both 2D gameplay and level design perfection. Easily one of the best games of all time.

But SNES library is godlike. CT, FF6, SMW, SMRPG, ALTTP, MMX2, DKC2 and Terranigma aren't that far behind.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
Final Fantasy VI is a fundamentally better game than Trigger. The character development alone puts it high above it considering very few characters get meaningful development in Trigger. Let's not even talk about setpieces like the Opera or the final boss fight, this would become embarassing.

Also, the World of Ruin is one of the boldest moves in the realm of SNES JRPGs.
I love the objectivism that FF6 IS a better game, lol.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If I had to pick I would have to go with Super Metroid being that it's the greatest game of all time.

But only a monster would make me choose between LttP, Super Metroid, DKC2 and Chrono Trigger.

They are all masterpieces and kind of perfect (at least to me).

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I have to go with Super Metroid. It wasn't just an incredibly fun game. It was the game that introduced me to Nintendo. It holds a special spot in my gaming background.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Super Metroid, but of that list, Mega Man X comes incredibly close.

X1 might just be the most intelligently designed game Capcom's ever made.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
It's Yoshi's Island, but FFVI is very close.

I actually made the same poll over at Neogaf and the results are a little different.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I'll be boring and say Super Mario World.

But also really the only other game on this list I've beaten is the first Donkey Kong Country.

Need to break out the SNES mini.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017

Will always stan for the back half of the game. It's easily my favorite part. The atmosphere is incredible. Seeing the impact and how people are coping after the world was torn apart made an impact. Finding your allies and seeing how they dealt with the aftermath was amazing. It doesn't beat your head over a lot of the themes they introduce and you got to seek them out. There are some seemingly small things that made a pretty big impact on me as a kid. Strago giving himself to grief at his loss of Relm and mopes around unresponsive with the cult hit me hard.

I can't really see the grinding either. Heck one common criticism that I see about the game (and one that I personally agree with) is that FFVI is very easy compared to a lot of the other FF. I would say FFV is one of the harder ones and if you need to grind in one it's going to be that one.

Aquiel

Feb 8, 2020
Super Metroid, but it is in third of my favorite on SNES. Behind Mario World 2 and Seiken Densetsu 3.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Because it is the single most replayable game of all time, Super Mario World

If SMW didn't exist, it would obviously be A Link to the Past