• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

My favourite FF game is Mystic Quest but from the available options it is...

• Final Fantasy VI

Votes: 146 22.0%
  • Final Fantasy VII

Votes: 140 21.1%
  • Final Fantasy VIII

Votes: 65 9.8%
  • Final Fantasy IX

Votes: 114 17.2%
  • Final Fantasy X

Votes: 85 12.8%
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Votes: 64 9.6%
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 50 7.5%

• Total voters

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Yes I'm gonna split the votes between FF7 and remake to make it a fairer fight pml while smh then rofl while dead. My vote goes to XII cause it came out at just the right time for me and really cemented the PS2 as the GOAT so it hit harder for me personally. Honourable mentions to IV and V, sorry to fans of those games for shunning them and FFXV and XIII deserve mentions but they are nowhere near as renowned as the ones in the poll, although I guess VIII is debatable.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Why is VII Remake even on that list, I don't even like XIV but I know that Shadowbringers is more renowned than it

Anyway my answer is VIII for my personal favorite, either VI or VII for best game quality wise, XII for lowest in both quality and personal enjoyment

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it seems weird to arbitrarily exclude xv and xiii given they reviewed similarly to xii and viir

bert muscle

Aug 15, 2018
OP, should probably add 14 to poll. I've never played it and only reason I know about is through word of mouth.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
X is the best FF game, period.

692f06c54b1685fb9de51815143b5dc6c89ea76f_hq.gif

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
IX I like the classic FF feeling it has, never liked all the crazy technology they added, I like it simple and classic.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Voted 10, but I've still never played 8 or 12 from this list. One of the future entries in the 7 remake series definitely has the potential to topple it though, if they just keep what I loved from the first and make the rest of it......not as bad as it was lol

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I find it really hard to choose between VII-IX, psx era jrpgs just was something special. But I gotta go with VII because it's likely my favorite game of all time as well the first FF that I played and the one I've revisited the most.
FFVII remake comes close because it really captured a lot of what I love about FFVII.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Why is VII Remake even on that list, I don't even like XIV but I know that Shadowbringers is more renowned than it

Anyway my answer is VIII for my personal favorite, either VI or VII for best game quality wise, XII for lowest in both quality and personal enjoyment

Everyone knows VII will win handily so I thought I'd mix it up a little.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with FFVII, and imported VIII and IX (expensive!) because they meant so much to me.

I only finally managed to play VI a few years back on Vita.

VI is the best FF game. I couldn't believe how good it was, even after all of this time. Like, I'm full to the brim with nostalgia and fuzzy feelings for VII, VIII and IX but VI is just one of the best games I've ever played.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
VI has had a profound effect on me, I love the cast, Kefka is one of the most memorable villains IMO and the idea of
the heroes initially failing, but reforming to make things right eventually
was surprising and also inspiring.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
I grew up with FFI on the Nintendo Entertainment System (you may've heard of it). =p

It felt so progressive and cool back in 1990. Wish I could've played FF3, but it wasn't localized into English.

That said, my favourite FF title is 7 because.... well.... EVERY THING
BD3DFB7904818E60AB427E9C138BB45C2A473521

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Reporting for duty to get a vote in for VIII! What a weird and wonderful game. I love the bizarre futuristic stuff mashed up with quaint towns like Winhill. I love the lunar base sequence. I love DOOMTRAIN. I love, well, everything about it.

Every FF is special though!

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy IX. My first one was VII and it was incredible, but IX is just better for me due to presentation and setting.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
XII, no question. But IX and X are pretty great too. Not too keen on VII or VIII, and haven't played very much of VI so I can't really judge that one.

As for VII Remake... I'll be sitting out until there's a complete edition in a decade or two. But the bits of it I've seen looked pretty good, almost like a Yakuza-fied FF VII.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I think we had this thread a few days ago lol, I love them all except VIIR but VIII is just about top of the tree

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
IX, enjoy the more whimsical tone, the 'band of misfits' cast, the addictive AP weapon skills system, the great cities such as Alaxandria, Lindblum and Treno. The ending is very satisfying. The ATE cutscenes help bring the characters to life.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I really can't choose between VII, VIII and IX. Like I know VIII is the most flawed out of these three, but I still love it to death. And VII is probably the most rounded one as well as the most iconic.

But IX was my entry point when I was only 7 and is probably my favourite game of all time. VII and VIII are incredibly close and equally nostalgic, though, and their vibe is closer to what I enjoy more these days, particularly VIII's setting and artstyle.

Had I played VI at an earlier age instead of my teens, I'd probably rank it among VII, VIII and IX, but I still consider it one of the best for sure (probably the second or third best) and love the cast. XII just needed a bit more of a hook for me in the characters, but I still liked them a lot and the game is genuinely great.

X is a great game, but there's a lot I sadly don't like in it, even straight-up superficial shit like character designs. And VII Remake was astounding, but, for obvious reasons, lacks the journey aspect that the others have and there are some important narrative choices and execution that I genuinely dislike.

So I guess IX?

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Final Fantasy IX. My first one was VII and it was incredible, but IX is just better for me due to presentation and setting.

They're like chalk 'n cheese, really.

They're both my favourites, as well.
FFIX just feels more immediate and alive, like the world is really existing in real-time as I play.
It has a lot to do with ambiance and NPC head-tracking. lol

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why, but 6 is my favorite. I really appreciate 7, the story in particular, and I get why people are so fond of it. There's just something about the characters in 6 that edges it out for me. And I don't really play RPGs for their mechanics, honestly. Still love the FF7 crew, though. I also really enjoyed 9. It's incredible the direction they took, seeing as it followed 7 and 8. I'd be surprised if nobody was upset abt that game's aesthetic at the time of release, similar to Wind Waker. 7 and 9 are definitely tied for me.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
5 is my favorite overall. But from the choices presented it's 6.
Shoutout to 12 which rules and 13 which wasn't included but also rules.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
FFX is my favorite 3D and FFVI my favorite 2D. Both have outstanding soundtracks and stories. I prefer the gameplay and the aesthetic of 10, so I'll have to go with that one. Really think that X nailed the turn-based combat of the series while X-2 nailed the ATB system. FF6 is fun too but I think that the Esper system didn't age well. Makes every character play the same, it's pretty much a simpler Materia system and it involves an excessive amount of micromanagement to get ideal stat growths.

EDIT: I could swear I saw this same thread last week (asking what is our favorite FF game is). Seems like topics like these are a recurring thing lol

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
FF12 for me. It's a game that I was actually lukewarm in when I first played it 15 years ago but has really grown on me over the years. I love it and hope FF16 is closer to it in terms of tone and storytelling.

FF7 for runner up. It's exactly as good as everyone says it is and always has been.

My favorite of those not listed is FF5. Just a perfectly paced, fantastically digestible and accessible, and endlessly repayable adventure.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
You know what, its probably IV for me. I love how the encounters are designed to force you to use different party members, and the story is the most "classic" feeling out of all the Final Fantasy games. The story in the other games is definitely better, but there's something about IV that makes me feel it is the "default" Final Fantasy experience (although I know others feel that way about IX). It's kinda like how even though Deep Space 9 is better written, when I think of Star Trek I think of Next Generation.

Out of the ones listed though, it's VI. Undoubtedly the most powerful story in the franchise and the best pacing / variety of environments.