• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which castle is your favorite?

• Winterfell

Votes: 75 17.0%
  • Riverrun

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • Eyrie

Votes: 162 36.7%
  • Pyke

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • Casterly Rock

Votes: 35 7.9%
  • Highgarden

Votes: 98 22.2%
  • Red Keep, Storm's End, or Sunspear

Votes: 39 8.8%

• Total voters

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Winterfell looks incredibly uncomfortable and everyone seems on top of each other. It's like living in a fucking dark dungeon with planks of wood for beds.
He walked along outside the walls. "I used to dream of it, in those years after Cat went north with Eddard Stark. In my dreams it was ever a dark place, and cold."

"No. It was always warm, even when it snowed. Water from the hot springs is piped through the walls to warm them, and inside the glass gardens it was always like the hottest day of summer."
Supposed to be a bit of a paradise despite its location (Sansa is probably being a bit too nostalgic, in fairness). And pretty massive as well. Tyrion remembers it's not as big as Harrenhal, but being thought of in a similar vein means it's probably one of the biggest castles in Westeros (I'd guess #3 or #4)

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Eyrie or Riverrun/Twins problably.

Eyrie has the perfect combination of view, uniqueness (moon door, sky cells, completely impenetrable), climate (high mountain so cool and snowy winters), and isolation.

Riverrun and Twins I put together just because I love water and lush green places. Pyke...would be a bit TOO much water.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I assume that Riverrun must have the worst sewage system and it's most likely surrounded by shit. The place most definitely reeks.

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
This question is dependent on whether I'm just visiting the location or if I was given the choice to be Lord/lady of one of these.

Visiting, I'd say Sunspear because I think I'd love Dornish women.

As Lord of one of these monstrosities? Either Winterfell or Storm's End easily.

Both castles are function over form and exude we will brutally kill you so stfu.
Heroes are raised within those walls.

Highgarden is pretty and sounds chill but nah.
Casterly Rock is a home to perpetual thieves so nope.
Pyke? Lmao trash castle for a trash culture.
Riverrun is workable and cool but it's not my thing.
Dragonstone? Home to self-important inbreds who were sheepsuckers who lucked into dragons.

But the seats of the Durrandons and Starks?

Both made by the Builder himself? I'm not worthy

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
Never realized how big Winterfell actually is. The show underplayed it.
The show made everything north of the Neck look paltry aside from the Wall itself.

The northmen have laughable armor, Winterfell is tiny and stupid(flat rooftops in a place infamous for heavy snowfall?) and there's literally no one there.

Winterfell is probably top three in terms of size and numero dos in terms of longevity.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I'm mixed. The show goes for a more practical look for most castles, which made sense. But then you see the official art Martin approved for WOIAF of these places and you're like, "wait, THAT'S what Dragonstone looks like?" That shit is a MONSTER. I mean, I love it. But, it is super fantasy. How do you not just get lost living in that castle for days?

It just reminds me of Martin conceiving The Wall which he wanted to be big and just threw out a big sounding number, but then later realizes how massive such a structure would be with those measurements and having to roll with it. The Battle at the Wall is really no battle for the defenders sitting on the wall loosing arrows at the attackers below, literally nothing could ever reach them that high.
Yeah, I can understand them trying to make it seem more «realistic», but its fantasy goddamnit! Castles like Harrenhal or the Wall as you mentioned would have been so badass! But at least we got good looking dragons lol

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The show made everything north of the Neck look paltry aside from the Wall itself.

The northmen have laughable armor, Winterfell is tiny and stupid(flat rooftops in a place infamous for heavy snowfall?) and there's literally no one there.

Winterfell is probably top three in terms of size and numero dos in terms of longevity.

Yep.

It is kinda hilarious how raggedy Winterfell and Northman in general look in the show. Y'all understand that Winterfell is rich?!

Oct 29, 2017
I assume that Riverrun must have the worst sewage system and it's most likely surrounded by shit. The place most definitely reeks.

This is actually hilarious because downriver from Riverrun would be the Westerlands, and if I'm remembering correctly the Westerlands are incredibly fertile grounds.

The lordly shits of Riverrun are fertilizing the Westerlands lol.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I dig the description of Winterfell in the books, but they also describe it as pretty run down and long past its prime, if I remember right, so not sure how grand it would actually appear, but it is number one if only do to the facts I don't remember the other places very well. I guess it being built on hotsprings also helps combat how awful and long the winters could be.

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
Yep.

It is kinda hilarious how raggedy Winterfell and Northman in general look in the show. Y'all understand that Winterfell is rich?!

Yessir.

I'll never not smh when I think of how they portrayed Rickard Karstark.

The actor who played him was fine but they had the arguably 3rd or 4th most powerful man in the north dressed in literal rags.

The one change I did like was how they did Bear Hall.

It was borderline too nice but if the Mormonts had just a loghall seat they'd have been murdered by the Greyjoys millenia ago.

The real problem is that people seem to think the north is Scotland and has the accompanying poorness in comparison to the south but that's a huge misread imo.

It's Scotland + Northern England. The Wall is inspired by Hadrians Wall. The Umbers = Northumberland.

So it has less wealth than the south but they're not starving in their halls that barely count as castles.

Last edited:

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
I dig the description of Winterfell in the books, but they also describe it as pretty run down and long past its prime, if I remember right, so not sure how grand it would actually appear, but it is number one if only do to the facts I don't remember the other places very well. I guess it being built on hotsprings also helps combat how awful and long the winters could be.

Winterfell is NEVER described as run down. The only area of dilapation can be considered the broken tower.

Everything else is just utilitarian to the core. And ancient.

If Winterfell was a ramshackle castle the story wouldn't be filled with people trying to claim it via various means.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Winterfell is NEVER described as run down. The only area of dilapation can be considered the broken tower.

Everything else is just utilitarian to the core. And ancient.

If Winterfell was a ramshackle castle the story wouldn't be filled with people trying to claim it via various means.

Guess I misremember. I could have sworn a few people mentioning that they would have loved to see it in its glory days and how while it might not look like much it is still a formidable place to try and take, but I guess my mind is playing tricks on me. Either young me made it up or I am confusing it with another castle from the book, very possible I am giving it some traits of Harrenhal. I would say its another reason to reread the books, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
A few of the minor castles:

TN-Eastwatch-by-the-Sea.jpg

TN-Dragonstone.jpg

TN-Harrenhal.jpg

TN-The-Twins.jpg
Dragonstone, minor? Excuse you!

Also Eastwatch by the Sea isn't even really a castle, it doesn't belong in the same list as Dragonstone and Harrenhal 😭

Winterfell looks incredibly uncomfortable
Winterfell is too cold,
cringes in book reader

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
Guess I misremember. I could have sworn a few people mentioning that they would have loved to see it in its glory days and how while it might not look like much it is still a formidable place to try and take, but I guess my mind is playing tricks on me. Either young me made it up or I am confusing it with another castle from the book, very possible I am giving it some traits of Harrenhal. I would say its another reason to reread the books, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Moat Cailin is what you're probably remembering.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
But how often are you throwing people out of moon doors? Sounds like poor people skills to me.

Meanwhile, at Highgarden, we're hosting bountiful feasts! Beautiful balls trimmed in rose gold!

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
This is actually hilarious because downriver from Riverrun would be the Westerlands, and if I'm remembering correctly the Westerlands are incredibly fertile grounds.

The lordly shits of Riverrun are fertilizing the Westerlands lol.
The westerlands aren't notably fertile. That's the Vale of Arryn or the Reach.

The westerlands is hilly, rich with mineral veins.

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
But how often are you throwing people out of moon doors? Sounds like poor people skills to me.

Meanwhile, at Highgarden, we're hosting bountiful feasts! Beautiful balls trimmed in rose gold!
You're a stewards get, an upjumped embarrassment of society though.

Winterfell and Storm's End are where heroes are born

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
The twins looks beautiful in the illustration. In the show its just two towers.

I'd probably choose the twins, a calm life by the river being an asshole because my little castle holds a key geographical point.

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
Eyrie is just an awesome concept.

Storm's End for tha awesome backstory on how it was built.
The Eyrie is dope until you realize it doesn't work as castles are intended.

Once you're past the Bloody Gate the Eyrie can be ignored as you blooden and take the Vale piecemeal.

It's a very pretty ornament though

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Don't know why I imagined Storm's End as being domed.

I think maybe riverrun might be my favorite of the ones mentioned. I think I'd want to see stuff like High Tide, Summerhall, Evenfall Hall, New Castle, Torrhen's Square, or maybe even Deepwood Motte.

I don't think I would want to visit the Eerie, I think once I got up there I wouldn't want to leave, and once I got down I wouldn't want to go back up. I also wouldn't want to visit the Dreadfort or Moat Calin. Maybe from a distance.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
It's the Eyrie, obviously. I was so disappointed when I saw the show-version of the Eyrie. Its supposed to be this majestic white castle among clouds and waterfalls, and the Vale is a paradise of green valleys and lakes. Come on now.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The hell, Winterfell had running hot plumbing? That's radical.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

Oh my gosh I would throw someone out that door for the pettiest shit lol

You didn't wish me happy birthday yesterday... 😐
Why are you wearing a blue shirt and red pants 🤨
"Who is being sensitive? Excuse you? Show this man the door please" 💅

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
It's the Eyrie, obviously. I was so disappointed when I saw the show-version of the Eyrie. Its supposed to be this majestic white castle among clouds and waterfalls, and the Vale is a paradise of green valleys and lakes. Come on now.
On the other hand the show's moon door is much cooler than the vertical door in the books.

Oct 28, 2017
I probably wouldn't want to visit, it's a ruin in a swamp most likely surrounded by millions of moscitoes carrying all kinds of diseases. And it's not exactly a major castle. But Moat Cailin still has a fantastic gloomy aesthetic

Reek_Moat_Cailin_MarcSimonetti.jpg

500px-Marc_SimonettiMoatCailinTheon.jpg

(Something about the scale is really off here, or that middle tower is gigantic. Still a great painting)

Last edited:

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
My answer would be None of the Above. Harrenhal is the castle that always stuck out as the most interesting to me, not because of the castle itself but because of the message it has to say about Westerosi history: Defiance against dragons is futile. It's a place with a real sense of history. It also doesn't hurt that several pivotal scenes in the books happen there.