• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which castle is your favorite?

• Winterfell

Votes: 75 17.0%
  • Riverrun

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • Eyrie

Votes: 162 36.7%
  • Pyke

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • Casterly Rock

Votes: 35 7.9%
  • Highgarden

Votes: 98 22.2%
  • Red Keep, Storm's End, or Sunspear

Votes: 39 8.8%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
The show really didn't do Casterly Rock justice.

latest

I.... I have absolutely zero recollection of Casterly Rock even showing up in the show. Like, none at all. Have I so thoroughly blocked out the last season from my memory?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I.... I have absolutely zero recollection of Casterly Rock even showing up in the show. Like, none at all. Have I so thoroughly blocked out the last season from my memory?
Casterly Rock, one of the most impressive (according to Jamie, only smaller than Harrenhall) and arguably impregnable strongholds in Westeros, was taken in like 2 minutes in either the last season or second to last season, LMAO.

I think they said everyone abandoned it or some throw away justification.

It's Winterfell. I love its aesthetic (not the show's, portrayal). The hot springs in the North. Love it.

After that, hmm. I'd say Hightower or Storm's End.

As the gods will it. Bring on your storm, my lord—and recall, if you do, the name of this castle.
Goosebumps.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, didn't realize Casterly Rock was stated to be 2-3 times higher than The Wall.

Think I'd go with Winterfell, for Warm walls, aesthetic and history.

Eyrie, if it is relatively able to be resupplied during a siege, is probably impossible to attack. If it can be completely cut off, is it that much better than Pyke?

Oct 29, 2017
Winterfell, 100%.

Grew up in the cold and snow, and miss it. Plus I love the northern aesthetic of Winterfell. The snowy pine forests and the land of the old gods. I'll take it.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Voted Pyke because I can only imagine the dread of coming upon it during a stormy day

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
accomodation rates at ALL of these are shit.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I always loved that Winterfell had the heated water pumped through the walls, but beyond that it's a pretty standard medieval castle.

I'd probably say the Eyrie is my favorite overall. Looks cool, good defenses, etc.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Highgarden.

Just give me simple, pretty, and in some good weather.

Sit back, drink wine, plot and scheme, and not worry about if half the castle is going to crumble into some body of water.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I have no idea never read the books nor watched the show but the Pyke seems like a real dumb castle. There's no safe harbor so it can't be resupplied by ship

So all besiegers have to do is destroy the rope bridges and the castle is now neutralised?
What they mean is no safe harbor for non locals, it's people are like Viking pirates so stop there get killed and some one else "found" a new boat lol.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
Highgarden for the amenities, which I imagine only Casterly Rock rivals, except with Highgarden you don't need to climb a fuck ton of stairs (or a mountain).

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I like Highgarden's aesthetic but Dorne is the only place in Westeros I'd be willing to live in so Sunspear gets the vote.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
The show really didn't do Casterly Rock justice.

latest
The show was really hit and miss with these. With how unique a lot of the castles are in the books, it really sucks how they just scaled it down.
As a book fan its Harrenhal followed by the Eyrie.
I like this post.

Really wish the show was more inspired by the images in the OP. Eyrie looks absolutely stunning!

Also, I hope we get a better look of Harrenhal in one of the new shows. Such a disappointment that they did not show more.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The vibes of Winterfell are immaculate, but I want to drink wine in the lap of luxury at Highgarden, so I'll have a bit of that.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Winterfell has natural hot springs and a treeinternet forest, that's unbeatable.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Looking at these pictures it makes sense that the initial worldbuilding of Elden Ring was done by George R R Martin. It just fits.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Highgarden is beautiful, Riverrun (River Run also being the name of a keep in Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince/Dragon Star trilogies) looks to be among the most defensible while being far more practical than others like the Eyrie or Hightower.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is something about Winterfell that I just love. From the snows woods to the host springs, it's just beautiful.
Wouldn't move there with the white walkers around though.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Casterly Rock from the descriptions, but neither the show nor illustrators do it justice.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Love the aesthetic of Highgarden and am still disappointed there's never been a reason for the story to take us there.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Not a big fan of the Storm's End art. Aren't the outer walls supposed to be smooth from the excessive storms and waves crashing into it? Always thought that was interesting.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Choosing highgarden is like going into baskin robbins and ordering a french vanilla sugar cone tbqh

Hahahaha. This is true.

The show was really hit and miss with these. With how unique a lot of the castles are in the books, it really sucks how they just scaled it down.

I'm mixed. The show goes for a more practical look for most castles, which made sense. But then you see the official art Martin approved for WOIAF of these places and you're like, "wait, THAT'S what Dragonstone looks like?" That shit is a MONSTER. I mean, I love it. But, it is super fantasy. How do you not just get lost living in that castle for days?

It just reminds me of Martin conceiving The Wall which he wanted to be big and just threw out a big sounding number, but then later realizes how massive such a structure would be with those measurements and having to roll with it. The Battle at the Wall is really no battle for the defenders sitting on the wall loosing arrows at the attackers below, literally nothing could ever reach them that high.

Last edited:

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Winterfell looks incredibly uncomfortable and everyone seems on top of each other. It's like living in a fucking dark dungeon with planks of wood for beds.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
The passages describing the climb to the Eyrie were some of my favorites in the books.

For me it was the complete opposite. Hey we need this dumb basket to transport anything remotely heavy up to the castle.

Seems like the only reason nobody held the Eyrie under siege is because it would be completely pointless. Castles are supposed to project power. I don't see how the Eyrie does that.

It is like in LOTR where sure Isengarde is cool and no one could breach the door but also if your wizard power fails it is now just a really elaborate prison.

I have the same vibe with Highgarden. Cool hedge maze, how does stuff move in and out the castle?

I'll take Storm's End.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
But then you see the official art Martin approved for WOIAF of these places and you're like, "wait, THAT'S what Dragonstone looks like?" That shit is a MONSTER. I mean, I love it. But, it is super fantasy. How do you not just get lost living in that castle for days?

Didn't that Dragonstone art get busted for taking some of the art from the dragons on the wall from either a videogame or other fantasy source. I know there was minor drama when someone pointed out the pictures weren't all original works

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
based on the show - has to be Dragonstone for me, i'm excited to see it in HoTD

the scene in the first episode of season 7 where Daenerys arrives with the fleet & dragons is one of my favourites, especially the music

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
A few of the minor castles:

TN-The-Twins.jpg

Oh man... Going for the whole comfort of living, I think I'm going to choose the Twins.

Winterfell is too cold,
Riverrun is probably full of mosquitos,
the Red Keep has rivers of shit,
the Eyrie and Pyke have no surrounding farmland and look like they're about to collapse after an earthquake,
Highgarden is wayy too pompous,
Sunspear is too hot,
Storm's End might be okay but it's a bit dim,
Casterly Rock is probably the best option in the poll. It's pretty high up, but it'd be good exercise and would have an amazing view. There should be plenty of farmland near the base, too.

But the Twins.. Pretty simple life on the river.