• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best big four nineties output?

• Metallica

Votes: 331 54.0%
  • Slayer

Votes: 54 8.8%
  • Anthrax

Votes: 13 2.1%
  • Megadeth

Votes: 156 25.4%
  • Other

Votes: 59 9.6%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
I never understood why Anthrax was part of the big 4. I enjoyed Testament and Exodus much more. That being said, Persistence of Time was a really good CD and Sound of White Noise wasn't bad.

Because the big 4 was based purely on sales. Anthrax sold more albums than Testament, Exodus, and Overkill, which IMO would be the bands that be considered.

Putzballs

Nov 5, 2017
Reign in Blood and S.O.D.'s Speak English or Die are in this eternal battle for my fave thrash* album of all time.

They always flip back & forth for my #1.

* Even though S.O.D. is pretty punk/thrash, tbh.

I loved that SOD album so much. Thanks for reminding me as I had forgotten about them. I followed them into MOD which had one great album followed by some punk surfer stuff.

I need to google Billy Milano and see what happened to him.

Putzballs

Nov 5, 2017
The Black Album is so overrated imo, and to me it marked the point when Metallica stopped bing a metal band. Megadeth and Slayer are the clear winners here.

Black Album was the beginning of the end. Compare their work before and after that album and it's not even close. Their 80s stuff was incredible.

I can see an argument for Pantera as some people are saying. Far Beyond Driven was a masterpiece.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I mean, I'm certainly biased cause Metallica is my favorite band ever, but that's largely for their impeccable 80s catalog (and their live performances to this day). I just also happen to like a lot of their 90s material more than I do a lot of the rest of the big 4's because while they effectively switched genres - an obvious source of huge controversy - they didn't just stop being talented songwriters, nor Hetfield an outstanding rhythm guitarist. If anything it's a testament to their versatility. And I genuinely think a lot of those songs are bangers and underappreciated amidst all the (probably accurate) charges of selling out.

I dig some of their post-2000 stuff too. St. Anger will always suck, though.
you're not wrong. Just metal heads being elitists. There's other music out there than 80s thrash metal.

Load and Reload have some of my favorite non metal songs, period.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I loved that SOD album so much. Thanks for reminding me as I had forgotten about them. I followed them into MOD which had one great album followed by some punk surfer stuff.

I need to google Billy Milano and see what happened to him.

Yeah, their follow-up USA for MOD was damn good too. But it's not very pc these days. Speak English will always be their magnum opus, but listening to USA in modern times, how much they leaned into punk on that one, gives me a greater appreciation for it. Unlike back in the day when I was like, "It's good, but it's not Speak English good."

I really dug that Surfin' MOD EP you mentioned as well. Had some great skits too from what I remember.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
I actually find all four of them to be on even footing for the 90's. They all came out swinging with amazing albums and then just kind of struggled a bit as the decade wore on.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
you're not wrong. Just metal heads being elitists. There's other music out there than 80s thrash metal.

Load and Reload have some of my favorite non metal songs, period.

You can be critical of a band's output without being elitists though.

Metallica's Black album is pretty significant departure from the material that made them superstars in the first place. So it's not unreasonable to suggest that it might not resonate with the core base they gathered from the start.

Any band's evolution of sound is a natural thing, as is experimentation. But there's always a risk of losing some fans along the way. Which is also fine.

I'm a huge Rush fan and enjoy most all of their catalogue. They experimented with their sound a lot, never staying in one place too long. There are some out there who only consider 2112-era or Moving Pictures-era the only true Rush. Yet as much as I think Farewell to Kings through Grace Under Pressure were their absolute peak, I still found something to enjoy in Power Windows, Roll the Bones, Counterparts, etc.

But even I have to admit that there were some real stinkers in there. I once saw a Neil Peart interview where they were sequentially going through their catalog and he would give a couple sentence response. They got to Hold Your Fire and Peart said, "Yeah, I don't know what the hell we were thinking on that one, lol." And I share the sentiment. It was a departure, so props for experimenting. But ultimately it just didn't work for me. It has nothing to do with being elitist about their older material.

Same with the Black album. it obviously worked for them as it propelled them into the mainstream. But it simply didn't work for me as it moved so far away from what drew me to them in the first place. And that's okay. Not everything needs to be for me. But I'd be careful of dismissing skeptics out of hand as just being elitist. If one can critique from a place of intellectual honesty, you do them a disservice when labeling those you disagree with as elitist.

The Black album left me cold personally.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're limiting it to those choices only, then it's Megadeth, but I could think of lots of metal bands that had better output than all of those in the 90's.

Metallica being the most mainstream never meant they were the best, but that's always been the problem with how voting on these things works. The most mainstream will always be the most recognized for the average person, and that's not really a good thing. Metallica's 90's stuff wasn't great. I actually enjoyed Black Album as it had some very pretty songs on it, but it's definitely their most accessible in a way that was hard for me to take seriously as it felt like a huge departure from what made them great, and that's something that is usually agreed on in the metal world. 🤷‍♂️ It's not even close to being Metallica's best by any means.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
www.theonion.com

Humanity Still Producing New Art As Though Megadeth’s ‘Rust In Peace’ Doesn’t Already Exist

WASHINGTON—Saying that any further endeavors of technical skill and imagination were pointless, experts at the Smithsonian Institution reportedly questioned Monday why new art was still being produced after the pinnacle of aesthetic and creative potential was reached in 1990 with Megadeth’s...

End of story.
Thank you.

Now when we go back to the 80s…

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

Metallica's Black album is pretty significant departure from the material that made them superstars in the first place. So it's not unreasonable to suggest that it might not resonate with the core base they gathered from the start.
the problem is when 99% of the time i see criticism of black album, load and relead, its from bitter metal heads that dont like any music other than metal. they're bitter that their favorite band "changed" and "isnt metal" anymore. its also almost always a form of gatekeeping and elitism. like ewww you like load and reload? you're not a "true" metal head.

its 2022 and i still can't believe we're having these same conversations. If Load and Reload came out under some other bands name, they would be considered some of the top hard rock albums of all time.

its been 30 years, get over it. Black Album is an amazing album. Its just not a thrash metal album.

Putzballs

Nov 5, 2017
its been 30 years, get over it. Black Album is an amazing album. Its just not a thrash metal album.

I remember walking down to the record store the day the Black album came out and almost running home to play it.

Imagine my face when I put that CD into my CD player fully expecting a similar experience to their other work?

I was shocked and disappointed

Black Album is indeed a good album but it is a shadow of what was.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
the problem is when 99% of the time i see criticism of black album, load and relead, its from bitter metal heads that dont like any music other than metal. they're bitter that their favorite band "changed" and "isnt metal" anymore. its also almost always a form of gatekeeping and elitism. like ewww you like load and reload? you're not a "true" metal head.

its 2022 and i still can't believe we're having these same conversations. If Load and Reload came out under some other bands name, they would be considered some of the top hard rock albums of all time.

As a fan of all kinds of metal, I find the Black Album to be a bog standard metal album with phenomenal production. I enjoy listening to it, but it didn't really break any new ground compared to their former output. I think that's usually the problem people have with the album. Great vocals by James, some catchy riffs and great sounding production, but I would be lying if I said there's anything on there that hadn't already been done by metal or rock bands. MoP is just so much more of a landmark record.

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Black Album is peak mainstream metal, it will never be topped in that regard. Yeah it marked a change, but it was still metal.

Their first real downer was Load back then. We waited five years (longest span between albums for the band) and then got a hard rock album by a band whose members cut their hair and wore make-up. I've since come around to the album, if you cut the fat you have a very good record and I like it better than ReLoad and St. Anger, but going from Black Album to Load was a much bigger "shock" than AJFA to Black Album.

Oct 28, 2017
Black Album is peak mainstream metal, it will never be topped in that regard. Yeah it marked a change, but it was still metal.

Their first real downer was Load back then. We waited five years (longest span between albums for the band) and then got a hard rock album by a band whose members cut their hair and wore make-up. I've since come around to the album, if you cut the fat you have a very good record and I like it better than ReLoad and St. Anger, but going from Black Album to Load was a much bigger "shock" than AJFA to Black Album.
This. I rather enjoyed the Black album for what it was. But Load was when I checked out on them. And I didn't really return until Hardwired. Half of Hardwired is pretty good, the other half is a real mixed bag.

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017
Persistence of Time was my first Anthrax album that I bought. One of the best album I've had

Cana

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 27, 2021

Any band's evolution of sound is a natural thing, as is experimentation. But there's always a risk of losing some fans along the way. Which is also fine.

I'm a huge Rush fan and enjoy most all of their catalogue. They experimented with their sound a lot, never staying in one place too long. There are some out there who only consider 2112-era or Moving Pictures-era the only true Rush. Yet as much as I think Farewell to Kings through Grace Under Pressure were their absolute peak, I still found something to enjoy in Power Windows, Roll the Bones, Counterparts, etc.

But even I have to admit that there were some real stinkers in there. I once saw a Neil Peart interview where they were sequentially going through their catalog and he would give a couple sentence response. They got to Hold Your Fire and Peart said, "Yeah, I don't know what the hell we were thinking on that one, lol." And I share the sentiment. It was a departure, so props for experimenting. But ultimately it just didn't work for me. It has nothing to do with being elitist about their older material.

Same with the Black album. it obviously worked for them as it propelled them into the mainstream. But it simply didn't work for me as it moved so far away from what drew me to them in the first place. And that's okay. Not everything needs to be for me. But I'd be careful of dismissing skeptics out of hand as just being elitist. If one can critique from a place of intellectual honesty, you do them a disservice when labeling those you disagree with as elitist.

If you find the interview please DM me lol

Oct 30, 2017
they're not my favourite band but out of the OP it's clearly pantera. four undisputed bangers in a row.

Cana

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 27, 2021
I Googled around a bit but came up empty.

It was a video interview I saw years ago, but I can't seem to find it.

If memory serves the setting was like a talk-show stage set. I think it might have been in the UK.

No worries! Ill look out for something matching the description

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I love the 90s Metallica albums, but none of them hits as hard as Megadeth's Rust in Peace