• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which of the Big 4 from Xbox is the most important?

• Senua's Saga: Hellblade II

Votes: 93 11.8%
  • Fable

Votes: 521 66.3%
  • Avowed

Votes: 157 20.0%
  • State of Decay 3

Votes: 15 1.9%

• Total voters

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easily Fable, the rest don't begin to compare.

But everything they have exclusive from Bethesda is about 100x more important.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Halo has pretty much fallen off since 343 took over. Infinite and its various production problems were basically the punchline to a long joke.

And yet Halo 5 is still believed to have sold north of 10 million copies pre-Game Pass. Make no mistake, Halo is still Microsoft's biggest property, and did not have nearly the fall-off Gears of War had.

Of the four strange choices we've been given here, I'll say Fable. Instand brand recognition, serving a genre that is extremely popular (open-world third-person action RPG), coming from a studio with an established pedigree for quality - and the makers of a game franchise that really is in Microsoft's "big four" right now.

Avowed could be huge for Microsoft too if it managed to be "the next Skyrim" or whatever, but that's far from a given and we'd need to see some of the actual game first.

State of Decay 3...? lol. I mean, the game could be great, and I hope it's everything it possibly can be, but putting it in a categry called "The Big Four" is really weird and premature.

Molyneux is practically the entire reason why Fable 3 was a disaster and full of feature creep. Hard pass.

Oh I don't know, I think Microsoft giving Lionhead an 18 month dev window for Fable 3 could've had something to do with it too, lol.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Big 4? The only one genuinely important out of these is Fable. The IP is well known, and if the game is great, it will show that Playground are truly a top developer that can make more than just great racing games.

I'm hopeful about Avowed, but it's a new(ish) IP. If it's really just an Elder Scrolls clone, it isn't as important for Xbox after Microsoft got the original Elder Scrolls IP. That's why I hope Avowed will be sufficiently different from TES.

I'd say the Initiative's game is far more important to the Xbox brand than any of these 4 games bar Fable.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Here I was thinking "Halo, Gears, Forza... what's the fourth?"

Great tease OP. Voted Fable because I can't wait to play more Fable.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I was gonna say Fable, but I think Avowed has a pretty massive amount to prove. It'll be the first bjg game fully developed by Obsidian under Microsoft, and there's a really direct comparison with Outer Worlds having come out shortly after the acquisition. It'll be really easy to point to things like multi-player or MMO features, micro transactions, weird gimmicks, whatever, and say "Xbox forced Obsidian to do that, it's not their style at all". It'll also certainly be seen by some as a canary for Elder Scrolls.

Fable being from a studio that hasn't done an RPG before there's no baseline to say Microsoft ruined them or forced them to do something they don't usually do.

Fable could potentially fill the rated E gap.

I guess it depends on what kind of reimagining they go for. Fable as a Western RPG? A Zelda style Adventure? Something more nostalgic and point and clicky?

Unless this happened.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Prior to the Bethesda purchase, I could see the argument for Avowed. Oblivion and Skyrim both had a huge impact on consoles and sales - and both won tons of awards. Microsoft needed a top quality game and Obsidian was finally making a AAA fantasy RPG again. But with the Bethesda purchase, the pressure is off them now (which is a good thing).

So that leaves Fable and Hellblade. Hellblade does have a lot to live up to, and could be Microsoft's best chance at getting a GOTY contender. But I chose Fable because Playground is growing like crazy and it seems like Fable will have a huge budget. Plus it's a reboot of a beloved Microsoft franchise.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
I mean I don't think any of them are particularly 'big' but out of the 4 it's Fable for me, if they can somehow rekindle the magic of the OG Xbox game but I'm doubtful personally.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Fable easily although the other games on this list are not unimportant.

The choices here are strange though.

Halo
Gears
Forza Horizon

Are what I consider Big anything when it comes to MS in the past. The future looks wildly different though...We need a poll with 10 more games on it.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I don't know how this could be measured, but I'm willing to bet that the Fable brand is much, much bigger than most people think.
Excepted for gamers in their late teens/early 20s, maybe.

We can't know, you're right, but we'll agree to disagree then. It has been a very long time since 2008 and I have serious doubts that some wide swath of the gaming audience remembers the Fable series all that fondly.

May 19, 2020
Oh I don't know, I think Microsoft giving Lionhead an 18 month dev window for Fable 3 could've had something to do with it too, lol.
This video pretty much lays out how Fable 3 was in a hurried yet sustainable state before Molyneux started interfering more actively and introduced a bunch of stupid shit like The Road to Rule and the "menu".

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Also, I would have been more inclined to say Avowed had Xbox not acquired Bethesda. With Starfield and The Elder Scrolls on the way within the Xbox ecosystem, I don't think Avowed has to be a huge commercial success like it did before hand.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I think Grounded could be a very nice way to get people interested in Xbox in the coming year too.

Avowed or Fable from that list.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Either Avowed or Senua to show that they can make AAA SP games

Klokwerk

Oct 29, 2017
The one which releases first would be the most important since there's a severe drought of exclusives. Unfortunately none of them are releasing anytime soon, and even Elder Scrolls may not be out before next next gen according to Bethesda.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fable seems like the biggest one. Avowed has the potential to be big too.

Hellblade 2 could be cool but I don't think it'll be a bigger hit than Fable or Avowed.

State of Decay 3 is whatever. I never hear much about those games.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
This video pretty much lays out how Fable 3 in a hurried yet sustainable state before Molyneux started interfering more actively and introduced a bunch of stupid shit like The Road to Rule and the "menu".

Oh i'm not absolving Molyneux in the slightest, and I think hes ultimately at least 50% to blame for Lionhead being dissolved, but 18 months is not nearly enough time to make a Fable game.

OP
OP
rrc1594

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
I think my point isn't coming across maybe I shouldn't have put big 4? It's not about which title is most known, but which title will have bigger impact on how Xbox is viewed as far as putting out quality exclusive and building a healthy first-party culture. All of these titles came from studios they purchased. If they all flop it will set a bad narrative going forward for Xbox. That MS still can't grow a strong firstly party line-up.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
So many people sleeping on Obsidian.
I think Grounded could be a very nice way to get people interested in Xbox in the coming year too.

Avowed or Fable from that list.
Damn, I did see someone else post about Grounded, but yeah I still totally forgot about it lol.

I think Grounded could end up being huge an important IP if the final release ends up being good. I really like what I've played of the preview builds, it's just not done yet.

Mar 8, 2018
It's probably Hellblade 2. The big negative for the Xbox lineup is the lack of prestige over-the-shoulder 3D cinematic adventure games. If Hellblade 2 expands its scope and improves its action gameplay, then they'll be positioning it as their God of War competitor.

Games like Avowed and Fable just shore up the existing WRPG library, which will not be lacking on Xbox.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
"Most important" I'd roll a d4 and say Hellblade, since it's the most interesting one of those to me, personally. But the list feels like it skips most of the games that I'd put on an "important Xbox games" list so it's hard for me to say.

"Most important for showing that MS is on the right track", though, I'd say Fable, since it's a more well-known Microsoft IP and its downfall was kind-of emblematic of Microsoft being on the wrong track. This would stand in contrast to that.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
never expected to see Fable win. That franchise has one good entry, one mediocre entry, two terrible titles and one cancelled game. Never thought it would win lol

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Avowed. Big new IP. assuming its exclusive. They have a chance to get a must play game that u need xbox game pass for

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Those certainly weren't the poll options I was expecting... Out of those though... Uh, I don't know ha. Fable is probably the most recognisable, but also comes with a fair amount of baggage.

Hellblade was impressive, and seems to have a decent following, and from what I can see, a good amount of interest.

I've never heard of Avowed until just now, and quite disappointed in myself, considering it is Obsidian's next game.

State of Decay has always just felt like a fairly middling, if interesting series. I don't see it mentioned much outside of Xbox though.

Honestly, like I said, I wasn't expecting these as the options.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
The new Fable is make or break. If that doesn't go well then it's probably going to be dead.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
For me: Avowed
General Public? Fable

With that said, I think people have a propensity to sleep on State of Decay, even though SoD2 is actually a damn fine game.

Gelos2

Oct 13, 2020
What comes to my mind is... "important in what sense"?

Fable is the most immediately recognizable (that is, from the average passer-by. Each of the others has strong potential for a niche of the overall community, and undoubtedly have dedicated groups salivating at their prospect.

For the platform, the most important will be the most successful, and frankly we can't predict that right now, not in an informed manner. I will stick to fable, because it's a recognizable brand with a massive potential appeal to the widest audience of the four presented, but it will need an impeccable execution lest it fade to oblivion.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'll go with Avowed, because of the developer pedigree that's behind it.

WRPG fans know Obsidian and this game will be huge if they deliver a masterpiece.

May 17, 2018
Ninja Theory is the right answer here.

In terms of looking at an investment in a studio, Fable is actually at the bottom of the list, because, if Fable isn't great, Playground can go right back to Forza Horizon.

State of Decay is a known quantity at this point, so, Xbox knows what to expect.

Obsidian are making like, 900 games currently, so, they're fine.

Ninja Theory's first game under Xbox, Bleeding Edge, bombed insanely hard. Yes, they were making it already when they were purchased, but, it shows they're capable of bombing. Whatever Xbox invested in that game is already not being returned. Now they're pumping money into Hellblade 2, and, time will tell if the game is a success, but, I wouldn't say they're a shoe-in anymore.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Probably Fable, but I voted State of Decay 3 because I think if it kicks off properly and gets the recognition the series desveres it could become a major title in MS' stable of first party games.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even close, Fable all the way. Nuts it took an entire generation to get a proper 4th installment years after one was being proposed and before that stupid "single player games are dead" publisher mantra at the beginning of last generation.

Stoked for a new one and I hope it's the best one yet, the series never reached its peak.

I still do have to play Hellblade on the PS4 however.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
State of Decay 3 can be really cool if they improve the game a lot from 2. I really enjoyed 2 while doing some achievement hunting and such for the Xbox HoF event. If they can make it without all the jank and such it be a real cool zombie game. For what it's worth i actually rate State of Decay 2 higher than Days Gone comparing zombie games.