• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have always been a huge Final Fantasy guy and have played and enjoyed mostly all of them. I have only played Dragon Quest Swords, 8, 9, and 11 and definitely enjoyed all of them.

I was wondering which of the dragon quests from 1-7 hold up today?

I would not recommend FF 1-3 to anyone since they do not hold up as well.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
the benefit of every game being basically the same is that outside of production values, they still play just like the most recent entries in the series. the only ones that are particularly long in the tooth are 2 and maybe 7.

but if you're looking for recommendations on what to play, 3 and 5 are the cream of the crop.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In my opinion they all hold up very well today. I'd suggest playing them all in order. 1-3 on switch if you have it and 4-6 on DS if possible. The mobile ports are acceptable if you can't play them on switch/3ds. DQVII remake on 3DS is great as well.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Everything from DQ3 to DQ6 is some of the best the series has ever had. The rest are still decent.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I think that the single player ones are all worth playing. That said, 1-3 are a bit rough and need a refresh - even if it's just spiffing up the disappointing Switch versions. Still playable, but they seem to house multiple art styles within the same game. 4+ on ds and 3ds hold up really well.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest really doesn't change much gameplay wise. II is probably the weakest one, and recent rereleases have addressed some of the problems.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
1-3 were the first ones I played, just a couple years ago and they held up very well. I've also played the PS2 version of 5 and it was good too. Dragon Quest's design in general is pretty timeless.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think most of them hold up, particularly if you play the more recent releases that have various QoL features. 5 is a stone cold classic IMO.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
IV-V-VI on the DS or Android are great, same for VII on the 3DS! V is my favourite so definitely go for this one

And then i really recommend playing III, the Snes remake

all of them hold up well, but 1-2 are the quite grindy, but also quite short

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I through V are all still good games. I haven't yet played VI, so I can't comment on it. VII is also fun, but only play it if you are ready for the long haul. The game is huge.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I dunno, it might just be old man Raza speaking but I think all are still worth your time, even the first few. DQ1 is very playable and not a very long game. DQ5 is probably the best out the set, though DQ4 is great too. DQ7 is an insanely long game so make sure you budget a good chunk of time for it.

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
I replayed DQ 1 recently and it still holds up really well. It's primitive by todays standards, but still better a lot of the RPGs from that time. III and IV are also great fun. Just be sure to play the original NES/Famicom versions and not the mobile re-releases.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played as much of the series as I'd like, but I can absolutely vouch for V. Played the mobile version a few years ago and had an absolute blast

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
IV through VII are all amazing, with V being a high point and probably my favorite of the series.

Shibi

Oct 25, 2017
DQ1 holds up for its simplicity, can be finished in a single afternoon
DQ2 doesn't hold up particularly well and adds little to the franchise except extra party members/enemies in battle
DQ3 holds up very well, is a landmark title with tons of improvements from character customizations, better storyline, monster arena and other things
DQ4 Introduces a chapter system and is the first game in the series to focus on developing party members as characters
DQ5 is a multi-generational saga and oft-considered the best or among the best games In the franchise
DQ6 is one of the weaker entries in the franchise, but still lots of fun
DQ7 is Long, perhaps the longest JRPG ever made at the time of release, lots of fun exploration, but like 6 does not bring much new to the franchise.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
4 and 5 are incredible games and are among the best in the franchise, definitely play them.

3 SNES is also great.

1-2 are interesting games if you like retro stuff and is curious about the origins of the JRPG genre. 1 is short and stuff, 2 can be a bit clunky. If you're going to play them, play the GBC version.

6 is kind of meh, it's not bad because it's Dragon Quest, but is as generic and bland as the series can get and it somehow it still manages to be very confusing both with its systems and plot. Save it for when you have no other DQ games to play.

I haven't played 7 yet, some people love it, some people hate it, just keep in mind that it's very very long.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's frustrating that there is no way to get the best version of each game on a single console.(or PC)
I really want to play DQ 4-6 on my TV.

I played the Switch version of DQ3, and while that port has issues.(frame pacing) I had a good time with it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6 was made right after Chrono Trigger, you can tell Yuji Horii was a bit tired and out of creative juice coming out of the latter

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
What don't you like about the first three Final Fantasy games?

Personally I think all the DQ games hold up except for 2 which is considered the weakest entry in the mainline franchise but 2 apparently has it's hardcore fans some who never even played the game lol.

Hazmat

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
3, 4, 5, and 6 hold up really well and their remakes are all great. 1 is very simple, but good, 2 is ok but it's not my favorite. I straight-up don't like 7, the original or the remake. Others love it, and it's crazy long.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
They are great games for their time (I played them in the 1990s), but hard to play today because they are rather slow paced and everything is slow, lack of story, etc.
You definitely won't like 2 so skip that.
1 you can complete in 8 hours or so but the story is is fairly simple (or non-existent to some I guess)
3 and onwards I don't think you'll have much issues with (at least the remakes), these games feature more story and are much better paced.

I haven't beaten 3 although I did get far but lost my save file. And I haven't even attempted to touch 7. 7 some say drags on for too long but I can't comment on my experience with the pacing.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
All of them is my go-to response as well! But specifically 3 and the Zenithian Trilogy (4-6), with special notice to 5 for being crazy good story wise, 3 for feeling really good and open, and 4 (as I'm finding out currently) as having some of the best character personalities in the series, when played on mobile since it has party chat.

in fact, 3-6 are great on mobile, since if you get used to the Portrait Mode style, they look great and have stuff like Auto-saves after each fight and quick loadtimes, though the DS versions are still great.

1 is not bad, but it is a very chill grinding game, about making incremental progress to success, and 2 is a brutal sequel to that philosophy, expanding it.

7 is good, and actally has a ton of value in it's immense amount of content, but the pacing is very drawn out, so if you aren't taking it like a 200 episode anime you are catching up on, I.E taking your time or making big leaps at once, it's gonna feel weird. Still very much a good game, just don't be afraid to look at a guide if you get stuck somewhere along the way : P

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
All but 1 and 2 in my opinion. And even they can hold up in newer versions, but not nearly as much as 3-7.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
DQ Five (any version)
DQVII (but really only the DS version)
And DQIII (primarily the snes version but the recent IOS is ok)

DQV is amazing and literally every version has good and bad things about it. I originally played the snes version, but the DS version is just great. The PS2 version is supposed to be fun as well but I haven't played that specific one yet.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Also, for those who wonder how bare DQ1 is story wise, minus the last fight, DQ Battle Road Victory literally distilled the entire game into one of it's 30 second finishers, it's amazing.

I kinda wanna check this out for real sometime and feel my way through it with some light translation assistance...

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
III, V, and VII are my favorites of those, although everything from III onwards are games I'd recommend. I played III on GBC, IV-VI on DS, and VII on both PS1 and 3DS.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
7's length is kinda overstated. At least on the remake, which I finished in 65 hours. So long but not recent Persona long. The original version on the other hand took me 103 hours. It's a monster.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
6 is my favorite of the 2D games, but I played the 16-bit version, not the remake. Its visuals were a big step up from previous games (and the next game for that matter, 7 was a pretty ugly game), it had both a job system AND a monster recruiting system, and the dual world system was neat.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
How's the Switch port of DQ3? It's based on the mobile version, right?

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of them except DQ1.

Specifically; 3, 4 and 5 are amazing games and should be played by any JRPG fan.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6 is my favorite of the 2D games, but I played the 16-bit version, not the remake. Its visuals were a big step up from previous games (and the next game for that matter, 7 was a pretty ugly game), it had both a job system AND a monster recruiting system, and the dual world system was neat.
I always thought Masato Kato took a bit of inspiration from DQVI's dual world system when he made Chrono Cross

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1 and 2 are extremely short for the genre. Not sure about the original versions but I managed to finish the mobile versions in two weekends easy.

After that, III to VII are all worth playing, IV and V probably being the strongest ones. VII is too long for my tastes but its structure works in its favour.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Haven't played I-Iii, but the rest is still extremely good and playable today. I haven't played IV and V in years, but the other two are really solid (in the ds and 3ds version at least)

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Since you're already familiar with the franchise, I def would recommend VII(kind of a long game, but worth it), V and III.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
7's length is kinda overstated. At least on the remake, which I finished in 65 hours. So long but not recent Persona long. The original version on the other hand took me 103 hours. It's a monster.

The actual length isn't so much a problem, it's more that it feels incredibly long too. Those hours don't exactly fly by, there are some bits that really drag on where you're not doing much more than walking back and forth between a few locations, like the mountain above Providence. And it really doesn't help that you can't teleport in the past.