• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
The first think that comes to my mind is Zelda games. Unfortunately that's all that comes to mind.

What other ones are there?

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
But aren't they puzzles games? Portal is a puzzle game for sure, before being a debatable platformer. And the Monkey Island games are story based puzzle games?
I gueeeeess you could say Monkey Island was a puzzle game, I tend to think of them more as adventure games that just have alot of puzzles.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019
Lucasarts point and click adventures (and by extension early Telltale games) are usually pretty puzzle-heavy. And yeah, this includes the Monkey Island games.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what your personal borders are on genres. Like I consider The Swapper a metroidvania that just happens to have a lot of puzzles, but some people consider it a puzzle game.

EDIT: Just remembered my favorite and most personally rewarding JRPG puzzle area - the Pitloss Ruins in FFXV. Just this outrageous and wonderful 8 hour jumping puzzle maze developed by one texture artist.

Jan 10, 2018
Guild Wars 2 had hidden areas with jumping puzzles and other things you had to figure out. It was one of the more enjoyable activities you could do with a group of people. I ended up doing all of them 3 times on 3 different characters.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Immortals Fenyx Rising right now and it has a lot of great puzzles. A large amount of variety in them too, especially within the vaults which are more or less like BOTW shrines but a bit more in-depth at times.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Lufia 2 has some bastard hard puzzles. Don't know if I'd say "best," but they're definitely hard.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Genshin Impact has some pretty interesting puzzles. Especially those that are spread out across a large area and contain multiple interlocking puzzles. They also do pretty cool stuff with terrain changes- altering water levels in a lake, uncovering caves, breaking through ice layers, etc.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I gueeeeess you could say Monkey Island was a puzzle game, I tend to think of them more as adventure games that just have alot of puzzles.

An adventure game - in its original text adventure form - was once described as "a narrative at war with a crossword". So yeah, while you *can* have puzzle-light adventures, Monkey Island definitiely isn't one of those!

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It's been some years since I played it, but I'd be tempted to say Golden Sun here - I do remember finding the puzzles surprisingly robust.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
The dungeons in CrossCode had some of the best puzzles I've played in any game. Loads of moments where everything suddenly clicks into place and you feel like a genius.

Jan 11, 2018
Zelda, as you said, is probably king in this regard, though BotW really left something to be desired. I really disliked the shrines and their one off puzzles compared with traditional dungeons which would expand upon puzzle concepts on both micro and macro levels.

I'd say God of War II, Ascension, and 2018. Metroid always has great environmental puzzles, old RE games have really good puzzles that gracefully walk the line of being just challenging enough without making you too frustrated most of the time.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Zelda series, especially the later 3D games with Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, had some really neat puzzles that never verged on being too difficult.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
The dungeons in CrossCode had some of the best puzzles I've played in any game. Loads of moments where everything suddenly clicks into place and you feel like a genius.
Yeah this is my pick. Even the overworld traversal is a puzzle in and of itself, having to trace a path backwards from a chest to figure out how to get to it.

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
What's the threshold of puzzles before a game becomes a puzzle game? I don't even think we can have this conversation until we figure that out hah

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I completely forgot about Zelda games--yes, the puzzles in Zelda games are often times really fun to solve.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Golden Sun and Wild ARMS have wonderful puzzles in their respective series. Both make use of your party's own skills/items/abilities to solve, such as using Isaac's gold hand magic in Golden Sun to push objects out of the way to make paths or to otherwise progress.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Ratchet A Crack in Time is my favorite by far, I would play a game like this if it was only the puzzles. The other games in the series also had puzzles but none of them were as good as ACiT.

Maybe the next Ratchet will use the dimensional jumps as a puzzle mechanism?

Last edited:

Shades

Oct 27, 2017
The Resident Evil games largely due to the absurd MacGuffins that serve as many of the puzzle objects

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Resident Evil does a really good job using puzzles to elevate its locales from amusement park attractions to fleshed-out characters in their own right. You have to deal with the mystery of the unknown, with what may be behind the locked door, and how you'll have to deal with the enemies as you backtrack to find the key to that door.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Half Life 2 gets nowhere near enough recognition as a pioneer in the puzzle/adventure genre. It was absolutely mind bending.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Getting dos games to run and configuring them, was a hard puzzle itself

No wonder puzzle adventure games thrived on computers