• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PS5, Xbox Scarlett or both?

• PlayStation 5

Votes: 956 61.3%
  • Xbox Scarlett

Votes: 199 12.8%
  • Both

Votes: 200 12.8%
  • None

Votes: 205 13.1%

• Total voters

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
PlayStation 5 for me! I need a backwards compatible UHD player so that I can declutter my living room down. Right now my living room has 2 switches, 1 X1 (for UHD playback) and 1 PS4 and collapsing what I use a X1/PS4 for into one device will allow me to have more space!

Also, I own PSVR.

Whatever Microsoft does next currently does not make all that much sense to me since I own a beefy PC I plan on upgrading in two years. I'm open to whatever unique selling points they have, but it wasn't until the 1 S and the UHD player and the really cheap price that I finally picked one up.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Based on Sony's first party I'll end up getting a PS5, I've got a powerful PC for Microsoft's stuff and hopefully the next batch of RTX cards are out by then so it'll be even better.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I like MS as a multiplatform publisher more than a console maker at this point so I'll continue to get their stuff on PC via Gamepass and go with a PS5 for exclusives and Japanese games.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
There are always ALWAYS adapters that let you use xbox controllers with PS if thats what you prefer.

There's loss of functionality with the adapters.

I didn't mind the DS3, and there's parts of the DS4 that I don't mind. But I don't like the shape of the analogs on the controller. I don't like using the triggers on the controller (which was less of an issue on the DS3 because nothing used those triggers). Now is that because that because of the design of the controller (which is unlikely to change), or is that because the triggers are bad or just a bad design for the controller?

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
There's loss of functionality with the adapters.

I didn't mind the DS3, and there's parts of the DS4 that I don't mind. But I don't like the shape of the analogs on the controller. I don't like using the triggers on the controller (which was less of an issue on the DS3 because nothing used those triggers). Now is that because that because of the design of the controller (which is unlikely to change), or is that because the triggers are bad or just a bad design for the controller?
I don't know. Personally I don't agree since the DS4 is my favorite controller (I love symmetrical sticks) and I can't stand the DS3. I do like the triggers on the xb1 controller better tho.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Sony is the only console maker to never deliver a disappointing generation. PS1, PS2, PS3 (they really turned it around) and PS4. Their console is always worth owning by the end of the generation.

So PS5 day 1 for me.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Actually, outside of resetera playstation would win by an even bigger margin. The world is Playstation centric.

I wouldnt be so sure.
After both consoles are announced and with all the goodwiill Microsoft have been gathering it will likely be alot closer than the beginning of the generation.

Remember the world was fully Playstation before the 360, then early that gen everyone was Xbox, come this gen everything has gone back to playstation......unless you have some super secret stats i highly doubt your predictions on nextgen user engagement are worth much.

dtamago

Feb 1, 2019
PlayStation 5 for me, last gen went with Xbox at launch and I regret that decision , besides, my PC is competent enough now.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't know. Personally I don't agree since the DS4 is my favorite controller (I love symmetrical sticks) and I can't stand the DS3. I do like the triggers on the xb1 controller better tho.

I don't hate symmetrical sticks. I prefer asymmetrical sticks, but I can use symmetrical just fine.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably going Xbox with PS5 a few years down the road.

Gamepass and Halo Infinite are primarily why.

The main reason is because I'm cheap and this seems to be the most cost effective way to play all the games. (Xbox exclusives via gamepass, Sony exclusives several years down the road for 75% off)

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
A better poll would be

if nextbox and ps5 launch same time with near same specs but nextbox is 100 dollars cheaper.....which way you goin?

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
If I get one it will be the PS5 as I have a powerful PC. However, unless there is a AAA blockbuster launch title I will probably wait until the first one comes along.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
PS5 no question

All first party MS stuff on PC is Phil's best decision since he took the job

And I'll gladly keep doing a month of game pass when new titles come out.

what's not to love??

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Probably PS5 as I'm invested in their ecosystem if they do digital backwards compatibility and I'm a big fan of their games.

But I'll wait for the reveals of both consoles and weigh them both up after I've got the facts.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I wouldnt be so sure.
After both consoles are announced and with all the goodwiill Microsoft have been gathering it will likely be alot closer than the beginning of the generation.

Remember the world was fully Playstation before the 360, then early that gen everyone was Xbox, come this gen everything has gone back to playstation......unless you have some super secret stats i highly doubt your predictions on nextgen user engagement are worth much.

This isn't true though, for multiple reasons:
- All of the "goodwill" Microsoft has earned this gen will not necessarily transfer over to next gen. Even if we sit back and look at what that "goodwill" did for them this gen, they still are on pace to finish in a distant third place and they at best kept up with being outsold at a 2:1 pace by Sony.
- The gen isn't a hard reset, since both consoles (and peripherals like PSVR) are backwards compatible. Sony is already banking on this hard as a way of just "pick up the new device and keep playing all your old stuff if you want, but also buy all this new stuff too!" in its messaging so far.
- The 360 gen is not comparable to this upcoming gen, since the 360 came out a year before. That won't be happening this time around.
- PlayStation is a stronger global brand than Xbox, which isn't a slight on either platform. It means, from a marketing and user acquisition perspective, it takes less effort for Sony to acquire a new user outside of territories like North America and the UK than it does for Microsoft. This means that Microsoft has to improve their global reach. Can they? of course, but even if you look at the heights of the 360, it was still very NA and UK centric.
- Will next gen be a close race at first? Maybe, but it could also play out in a whole bunch of other ways. One way is not more likely than the other at this point of time, but it does seem like Sony has the "inside track" currently based off their current market position and global reach.

The Switch can also disrupt both Sony and Microsoft, so there are still some unknowns unaccounted for. Stadia is also, an example of another unknown.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
We haven't even seen them

We know enough at this point that we don't need to.

Both will be extremely close to each other in power. if one has an advantage, it's negligible.
Both will have CPUs that are far, far stronger than current gen, meaning a huge leap in physics and AI for all games across the board.
Both will be Backwards compatible with the current gen, with some improvements.
Sony will have the stronger first party lineup, and a number of third party exclusives that tend to sell better overseas than in the US.
Xbox will still have Halo.

Both systems are going to keep almost everyone within their ecosystems. Unless there's a completely shocking blockbuster title no one sees coming or a huge third party series going exclusive, people's minds are probably already made up.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I wouldnt be so sure.

Most of goodwill from Microsoft are on ERA and not with consumers.

HW sales falling down every year show there is no momentum coming to Xbox... Besides US and UK they will have a hard time. I can't see how Xbox will sell more worldwide next-gen without exclusives...

I believe in another Playstation dominance next-gen. Era is not a good take for what happens in the market.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why anyone wold buy Xbox hardware at this point when Microsoft is inching closer to functioning as a 3rd party publisher. Every exclusive they put out from this point forward will be on PC.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
None, most likely. Outside of the switch, I just don't buy consoles day one. I'll be there when there's an exclusive I can't miss, and that'll most likely be a PS5 when we get there.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Most of goodwill from Microsoft are on ERA and not with consumers.

HW sales falling down every year show there is no momentum coming to Xbox... Besides US and UK they will have a hard time. I can't see how Xbox will sell more worldwide next-gen without exclusives...

I believe in another Playstation dominance next-gen. Era is not a good take for what happens in the market.

Gamepass is literally the reason the Xbox has had a second wind in Africa.
The cost of games is super high for us when you consider the average wage.

Gamepass is 100s of games at the price of 1, per year.

If they start the generation guaranteeing you have 100s of games for your new console, and Halo Infinite launching and being free with the console.
Consumers are def gonna notice.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Leaning towards none right now since I still don't have a 4k TV. It'll be PS5 if anything, though.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Too many variables at play for me to answer that. I'm usually an early adopter, but I don't know if I'll get either at launch. Most likely the PS5 first if I can play the Xbox games on PC.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
PS5 if there is at least one game I like/want and more importantly if it is £400 or less. Any more and I'll just wait a short time for the inevitable (and likely substantial) price drop.

I'm getting myself a fancy OLED this coming week first (hopefully).

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I'll be getting the next Xbox, with a PS5 down the line. I've more or less stopped playing on my PC; I spend so much time working on one at school and work that coming home to game on it isn't possible for me (at least mentally). Aside from VNs, which I read on my laptop, my PC will more or less be a rendering and Plex machine.

I also like physical games. Those don't really exist on PC anymore haha

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
If they start the generation guaranteeing you have 100s of games for your new console, and Halo Infinite launching and being free with the console.
Consumers are def gonna notice.

System selling features are kinda useless if they are easily implemented by your competitors.

What happens if Sony launches PS5 with a revamped PSNow service that is basically the same thing as Game Pass? Which is almost certainly likely to happen?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
System selling features are kinda useless if they are easily implemented by your competitors.

What happens if Sony launches PS5 with a revamped PSNow service that is basically the same thing as Game Pass? Which is almost certainly likely to happen?

Hypotheticals?

What if Microsoft launches the console with the multiple industry leading exclusives?

Sony currently doesnt have anything even remotely public in terms of exclusives for the PS5.

MS already have Halo Infinite, Forza Motorsport 8, Fable Playgrounds Flight Simulator.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
I have game pass ultimate paid til july 2021 so day 1 would be scarlett, however I'll probably end up buying a PS5 too

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Ps5 if there is any interesting exclusive games at launch or if gamestop make some good offer for my ps4 pro.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
If Halo Infinite fulfills its promise, I'll get the Xbox day one.

If the PS5 launches with a great Sony first party game, I'll get the PS5 day one.

Deleted member 52407

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
We have some rendition of this same topic every week... "What console are you most looking forward to" or "what consoles games are you looking most forward to" etc.

Scarlet. Xbox services are too good and will help negate the launch price of these machines if they're indeed $499.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
None. Following the release and the first years with great interest though.