• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which next-gen console do you think will have the highest rate of defects at launch?

• PlayStation 5

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Xbox Series X

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Xbox Series S

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
www.youtube.com

PS4 day one : Defective on arrival

Blue light of death, stutters, drive, network issues. This is a minority like the faulty XO disc drives.----- Sources (a lot are expired/deleted thus missing...
www.youtube.com

Xbox One optical drive issues

No RROD this time, a few disc drive problems at launch. ------- Sources ------- (some are deleted/missing) https://youtu.be/6hePpGBcPak https://youtu.be/MO0y...

One of the drawbacks of picking up a new console at launch is that there will invariably be some units that just don't work properly. It happened with PS4 and Xbox One, it happened with Switch, and it'll almost certainly happen again with PS5/Xbox Series X.

Based on each company's track record, which console do you think will have the most issues at launch? This includes controller issues.

Personally I'm more worried about the PS5. I'll be picking one up day 1 if I can, and you better believe I'm gonna register that warranty. There's a lot of exciting new tech in the PS5 and DualSense and, consequently, a lot that can go wrong.

In the console itself, we've got liquid metal thermal paste, a brand-new cooling/power management system, a GPU that's supposed to run at an insane 2.23 GHz, and additional co-processors for increasing IO efficiency.

Then we have the DualSense with its crazy software-adjustable-tension triggers, plus more advanced haptic feedback than we've ever seen in a controller before.

Comparatively, the new Xbox consoles seem like they will fare better in their first production run simply because Microsoft took fewer risks with their design. The Series X has a split motherboard, which could cause problems since you now have two boards that could fail versus just one, but outside of that, everything is business as usual. The power management system works like it does in most consoles and the GPU clock is a lot lower. As for the Series S, I'll be shocked if it has any issues as it seems like a pretty simple low-power machine. Same goes for the new Xbox controller; it's such an iterative improvement that I think it will be at least as reliable as the current Xbox pads are.

What do you think? Hopefully all of my fears end up being completely unfounded and we all get to enjoy working systems on launch day.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Unless one of them ends up being a RROD-level disaster, we'll never know the defect rate. This isn't something companies make public.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I only voted PS5 because they're pushing the cpu hard

But I like everyone else have no clue about quality or anything

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Like what was already said, we'll likely never know unless it becomes really widespread/takes a while to fix.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
Considering the recent news of PS5 yield issues, I'll go with that. But hard to tell either way, Microsoft has definitely upped their game since the utterly horrible quality of the 360. One of my friends went through 5 of them!

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
This doesn't need to be a thread. We have no data to go on and this will just devolve into speculation rooted in platform warring. As such, this thread is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.