• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better film?

• Blade Runner

• Blade Runner 2049

• Both movies are equal

Results are only viewable after voting.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
K not being the chosen one was great, but completely dropping the story regarding the uprising is my issue. I don't mind not seeing it, but it's never mentioned again whatsoever. A simple line about how the replicants are doing anything from K to Deckard would've solved that, but they never bother. The only thing they say is that he frowned with the rest so that they can't find him, but nothing else. It's just completely dropped and never mentioned again. I still think the film is great, and having the humans vs replicants story is interesting. But personally, I don't think it's developed enough as is.
The Vangelis score alone makes the original better. The new movie tries to do some interesting things and creates some great visuals, but the side plot with Joi was kinda stupid/meaningless and the score was uninteresting.
I bought the CD straight after leaving the screening, since I thought some tracks were really good. Hearing it on its own, it's alright at best, but the Sea Wall though. Damn that's a mighty fine piece and crazy bass booming at you.

Shame we never got to hear the original planned soundtrack, I'll forever be curious how that sounded instead of the painfully Vangelis recreation of some of the tracks.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
I watched the original only a little before last seeing 2049. Even though I think the original is probably one of Scott's few great movies, Villenueve shows in 2049 that he can even produce sequel film that is superior in pretty much every single way. Pacing, story-telling, direction: I felt it was all superior to the original. The original felt too slow and oddly enough, the story wasn't memorable for me. It would be unfair to deny that the advances to tech helped the new film with establishing amazing visuals, although the work of the original, the matte paintings and models, are still fantastic.

I'm biased. My opinion of Ridley Scott has fallen as far as it can since his total shitter, Robin Hood.
Huh, to me 2049 was the very definition of bloated and slow. I mean, I liked it, but man was it overly long, it droned on.. and not in a good way. Long, slow movies can be great, but 2049 was not great at that part of it all.

I'm due a rewatch though.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
2049 Voters: I liked the story and characters better.

Original Voters: People just like the sequel because it was recent. VANGELIS!

lol

one of the recurring comments in this thread is that many of the original voters feel 2049 lacks a character as fascinating as Roy batty but go off I guess

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
2049 has a bad "dirty rebels" and messianic plot. Really disappointing on that end. It starts off well with the scene on the farm and the "brain check" at the police station and then goes downhill. Looks amazing though.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I do not think that Bade runner 2049 is a good sequel to blade runner.

it does some things well, it's not a bad movie, but it does not manage to do the things that blade runner did so exceptionally well, even though it attempts them. The themes, sets, tone, genre.

damn why am I talking about blade runner 2049 again? Dammit.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
2049 is like very good fanfiction. A sequel of obligation, making the plot so heavy and elevating simple things from the first film and turning them into busy fan service.

What Blade Runner does well doesn't seem to exist in movies anymore. It feels real, lived in. 2049 is like playing a future playstation game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
2049 is like very good fanfiction. A sequel of obligation, making the plot so heavy and elevating simple things from the first film and turning them into busy fan service.

What Blade Runner does well doesn't seem to exist in movies anymore. It feels real, lived in. 2049 is like playing a future playstation game.
I cannot see this at all. There is nothing about 2049 that the word "obligation" fits with in way you describe it. There's nothing that feels "fan service" about it to me, either. The first film feels more lived in, but the world in BR 2049 is sparse on purpose and it works. They compliment each other with the way the world evolves between the films.

It feels like an intelligent extension of the first film, not in contest with in any way.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
K not being the chosen one was great, but completely dropping the story regarding the uprising is my issue. I don't mind not seeing it, but it's never mentioned again whatsoever. A simple line about how the replicants are doing anything from K to Deckard would've solved that, but they never bother. The only thing they say is that he frowned with the rest so that they can't find him, but nothing else. It's just completely dropped and never mentioned again. I still think the film is great, and having the humans vs replicants story is interesting. But personally, I don't think it's developed enough as is.
Watching it, I got the idea that they were angling to save this development for a sequel. Which, as it turns out, may never happen.

Blade Runner.

cant believe the poll results
tenor.gif

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Context is really, really fucking important here.
I saw Blade Runner for the first time when I was 12 years old, which would be 1986.
Simply put, there was not a whole lot of movies like it at the time. To say it was mind blowing is exactly what I experienced at the time. It was a groundbreaking experience.
While 2049 is a fantastic movie, there have been so many movies since the original that are similar in tone, visuals, etc. etc.

So yeah, it is not even a contest for myself.
I am sure if I was 12 years old when I saw 2049 for the first time, I may feel the same way.
But I was not.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it. Gonna reserve some time to watch both these historical movies back-to-back. 5 hours of pure historical cinematic bliss.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Got a favorite between them?😊
Nope! I voted for 'equal'.

Had to vote for equal, because they're both very similar but also incredibly different.

What I sort of prefer of the original is it feeling more contained and personal, whereas 2049 felt more bombastic and 'epic'. (If that makes sense lol)

Despite all that, both movies are incredibly important pieces of cinema and both are in my top 10 favourite movies of all time.

I know it's the boring answer, but due to their differences I find it far too difficult to put one above the other.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
They are both fantastic movies and although in my opinion 2049 has better pace, I would put the 82' BR movie at top because it has far more interesting antagonists than 2049

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
2049. Masterpiece. One of the most beautiful looking films I've ever seen. The score is absolutely fantastic. Great characters too. The actress who plays Joi blew me away.
The original is okay but 2049 is on a totally different level imo

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
2049 had potential to top the original, as it has a lot of great elements, but ultimately I was left disappointed with the execution of the twist and the development of the villains. The original feels like a more cohesive experience. That being said, I would say they are not too far apart.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Both are equal or a slight edge towards 2049 for me. Roy is amazing, but the Rachel apartment scene creeped me the fuck out on a recent rewatch of both.

Overall both are masterpieces we can be happy to even have experienced in our lives.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Soley because of the final monologue from Rutger Hauer I voted Blade Runner. If I read correct he wrote those lines himself and Ridley Scott agreed to use his dialoge instead of what he/the writers wrote. It´s those magical cinematic moments where Onscreen and behind screen have something special to it.

Oct 25, 2017
People are rightly bringing up Batty's monologue a lot when they talk about the certain ineffability the original film has, but I always remember this scene, too.

The birthday memory sculpting scene in 2049 is I think the closest the sequel comes to capturing the same inexplicable sense of loss for something that never was, but it still feels like just an echo of the original to me. Perhaps purposefully so, but still.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Blade Runner for sure and it isn't even close for me. I thought Bladerunner 2049 was really bad.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I absolutely adore Blade Runner. It is my favorite movie of all time.

When I initially heard that there was a sequel in development, I was very much against the idea. Pessimism aside, I decided to give it a chance because I like Denis Villeneuve's work - and I was not disappointed. I was actually blown away by Blade Runner 2049.

However, no matter how tremendous of a cinematic achievement Blade Runner 2049 is; it's still not as good as the original, imho.

Blade Runner is a 10/10.
Blade Runner 2049 is a 9/10.

The atmosphere, narrative, characters, soundtrack and aesthetics just pale in comparison to the original; which is the most aesthetically imitated in cinema history.

While I deeply love [as well as being obsessed & constantly infatuated] by both films, the original 1982 Ridley Scott masterpiece is the clear winner for me.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Blade Runner 2049 is more accessible, has more storytelling and hammers the themes into you more than the original - which id say is more nuanced and a little less "obvious". The original is more of a vibe, has weird pacing, etc. - but that's partly what makes it so good.

I'd say I like them equally, but 2049 is probably the 'better' movie.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Really tough call. 2049 I think is more enjoyable, and is absolutely amazing to look at. Its its own movie, obviously it builds on the original but isn't just a retelling or spin, it tries to do its own thing.

Ultimately though for me its the ANH/ESB problem, while ESB is my favorite Star Wars movie I have to recognize that ESB does not exist by itself, it NEEDS ANH for it to make any sense. Likewise, 2049 is probably the movie I'd rather rewatch any time, but it does not really work at all without the original so I'd give the slight nod to the original as the "better" movie, but literally just by a replicants nose hair.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
2049 only has 1 version that you need to watch to get the "complete" experience. So for that reason alone, it's better.

BR I've watched 3 different versions of the film and I'd say the music and Rutger Hauer are the best parts of the film.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible that we not only got a sequel to a movie that seems almost impossible to build upon but that it was also great in its own right. I was very skeptical going in, but I was blown away by 2049. Very happy to have watched it in a theater. My main regret was passing up on watching it again in the cinema! It's a stellar home movie but that first time watching it was an experience unto itself. Brilliant sound work.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's incredible that we not only got a sequel to a movie that seems almost impossible to build upon but that it was also great in its own right. I was very skeptical going in, but I was blown away by 2049. Very happy to have watched it in a theater. My main regret was passing up on watching it again in the cinema! It's a stellar home movie but that first time watching it was an experience unto itself. Brilliant sound work.
Have you seen the 4K Blade Runner Final Cut?

The detail and crispness of the visuals/color is sublime and the Dolby Atmos sound mix is incredible😲

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the original for the first time before the new one and struggled to finish it. 2049 though was God damn awesome, loved it.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Watch both this year, and 2049 is a much more enjoyable movie from front to back.

Admittedly though, the cinematography for the first movie is just fucking breathtaking.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I....legitimately don't like the first Blade Runner, but I did like 2049. So. 🤷🏿‍♀️

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
For me it's 2049 without question. I made sure to watch Blade Runner the night before seeing 2049. Aesthetically they're both great. I can't stand the story of the first one. 2049 is better in every way, it's not boring (OG is), and it tries to retcon the most problematic aspect of the first movie.

Whether or not you can buy into 2049's attempt to change the original's rape scene will likely determine your enjoyment. I personally didn't care for the original so it was easy for me to go "Yep that didn't happen".