• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which modern controller do you think is best for playing for 2D indie/retro games?

• Xbox One/Series S/X (D-pad lower than face buttons)

Votes: 121 28.9%
  • DS4/5 (D-pad parallel with face buttons)

Votes: 262 62.5%
  • Switch (No D-pad)

Votes: 16 3.8%
  • I don't use the D-pad for 2D games so it doesn't matter

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • 2D Games? What is this, 1992?

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have a Series S and a PS4 Pro and because of the D-pad location I think the DS4 is better suited to 2D indie games

I have played Gato Roboto and Ori on the Series controller and while the D-pad is good, I think the fact it's lower down causes me issues, so I've mostly used the stick for those, even though I prefer using the D-pad for 2D games

I don't have a Switch yet but the fact it doesn't have a D-pad by default makes me think it will at best be tied with the Series controller, and at worst, behind it due to lacking the D-pad option

What do you think, Era?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
No Switch Pro option? I use it for emulation on my PC and prefer it to the others myself.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Hori Fightcommander Pro 4 has a costumizable dpad and 6 button layout for arcade games without righ analog control and also turbo button options. Closest to the original Saturn pad.

For games with right analogue , Xbox One controller.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I usually prefer d-pad parallel to face buttons. However the Series X d-pad makes up for it with a precise and good feeling one. Snes dpad remains my all time favorite for 2D games

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
How come? It seems pretty similar to the Xbox controller to me
This is the reason.

kotaku.com

How To Fix Your Switch Pro Controller’s D-Pad

Over the last year, the Nintendo Switch has built up an impressive collection of 2D side-scrollers and classic arcade games. Unfortunately, those games rely heavily the D-Pad, and the D-Pad on the Switch Pro Controller can be frustratingly unreliable. Last weekend I fixed mine, and you can, too.

Never had a problem myself.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Series X D-Pad is the best D-Pad since the Saturn, its positioning is irrelevant.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Hori Fightcommander Pro 4 has a costumizable dpad and 6 button layout for arcade games without righ analog control and also turbo button options. Closest to the original Saturn pad.

For games with right analogue , Xbox One controller.
If only it wasn't so uncomfortable to hold. And the buttons are too mushy for my taste

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is the reason.

kotaku.com

How To Fix Your Switch Pro Controller’s D-Pad

Over the last year, the Nintendo Switch has built up an impressive collection of 2D side-scrollers and classic arcade games. Unfortunately, those games rely heavily the D-Pad, and the D-Pad on the Switch Pro Controller can be frustratingly unreliable. Last weekend I fixed mine, and you can, too.

Never had a problem myself.

Oh wow, Nintendo really dropped the ball with build quality this generation

If it's not the sticks drifting it's the D-pad shifting

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
The Series X d-pad should be a different option separate from the older Xbox controllers.

Oct 26, 2017
The D-Pad in my Pro Controller is pissing me off (random inputs + placement is annoying), so I went and bought this:

71cPW6InAML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to try the Xbox series controller as that dpad looks and sounds right for me based on impressions and I don't think the position is that important.

As it is anything else leaves something to be desired so I use a Retrobit Saturn controller when I can at the moment.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
PlayStation has always had the best d-pad for retro/2D games. Both the position and the feel of the d-pad itself.

I honestly prefer using the analog stick on my Pro controller because the d-pad just feels uncomfortable to use for lengthy periods of time.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about the PS5, but the dualshocks have been untouchable for stock controller d-pads basically since 6th gen.

I've never cared about button positioning either, but a lot of people make the argument of top left being 'primary' position, and the PS controllers are the only ones that have retained the d-pad there. They're rather poised for retro games.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Of the modern controllers? None of them. They're not made for 2d games, they're made for 3d games.

If you really want to play a 2d title, get an SNES, Genesis 6 button or Saturn controller. Those controllers were designed for 2d gaming.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
The lack of a real D-pad on Switch is such a bummer. Pro controller is find substitute, but in handheld, on some 2D games it's a real dog.

Even playing original NES games, you run into issues - play the original The Legend of Zelda and you're not able to stab and move like you could on other controllers. I'll usually slip into tabletop mode and have the NES wireless controller to do the job.

I really wish Nintendo built a separate D-pad Joy-con option at this point, but I don't think it will happen now.

Of the other options on the table, I think the Xbox Series X has a good pad, the indent takes a bit to get used to, but it's precise.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
I use my ome of my Qanba or Razer or Mad Catz (jeez I gotta problem)fightstick. It's actually quite a bit of fun to play a non fighting game with it . Really gives me an old school arcadey vibe

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
DS4 should be separate from DS5. DS5 is abysmal for dpad use as it´s very easy to accidentally jump etc. i think it´s unplayable for fighting games for example

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've only had my Series X for less than 24 hours but I fucking love that dpad. So clicky, so solid. Wasn't really expecting that from an xbox controller.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't put the Xbox Series controller in the same category as the Xbox One controller. The new Xbox d-pad is far superior.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The clicky Xbox Series X controller d-pad is unbelievably good. Seriously, holy shit is it good. For me, it's perfect for basically anything you would ever want to do with a d-pad, including fighting games.

Ego

Banned
Dec 6, 2020
That 'clicky' thing is what bothers me the most about the new X controller. It's way to loud, the analog sticks as well when you hit the borders. Plus it does feel a little plasticy/cheap. I would definatly recommend the DS over the X.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I honestly didn't think that the D-pad position mattered that much, since for me it makes zero difference. I also think that most of the current controllers are fine for 2D games, except Switch Pro because I find the D-pad truly awful for anything involving corner inputs. (Switch Lite D-pad is an improvement tbh.) I haven't actually tried the DualSense yet either.

I would call Xbox Series the best for now because of its godly D-pad though. I've actually been using my joysticks less because I actually enjoy using it SO MUCH. The clickiness is part of the charm =) And I'm serious about that!

Jun 17, 2018
The Series X controller is probably the best controller I've used. The D-pad feels super precise and has a satisfying click to each press.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the game is arcade-designed I'll use an arcade stick instead of a gamepad.

When playing old non-arcade games on my MiSTer I'm generally using the Asian Megadrive Mini controller (unless I REALLY need L and R on the shoulders, but I haven't really played through GBA or SNES games on it yet):

ply_sega_megatower_02.jpg

With modern d-pad games I'll use an Xbox One controller.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Mark me down as one of the very few who've said Switch I guess!

The four button d-pad has really never bothered me. Outside of like trying to pull off Zangief's full spinning piledriver or whatever. For 99% of 2D/indie/retro games I actually kinda love it.

Miles better than the terrible dpad on the Pro Controller.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Mark me down as one of the very few who've said Switch I guess!

The four button d-pad has really never bothered me. Outside of like trying to pull off Zangief's full spinning piledriver or whatever. For 99% of 2D/indie/retro games I actually kinda love it.

Miles better than the terrible dpad on the Pro Controller.
The Pro controller is a disaster. Mine is from launch, so maybe they improved it but so often the buttons fail to register inputs. Probalby the most disappointing thing about Nintendo recently is the noticable reduction in quality of controllers.

Ennsa

Oct 25, 2017
After hating all the x-box controllers for their d-pads, I'm in love with the series x's. It's my favorite d-pad at the moment. No issues with hitting diagnols, and I've been more consistent with my inputs compared to any fightpads/saturn style controllers except maybe the 8bitdo m30.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of recent first party and 8bitdo d-pads, the way I'd rate them is below. I haven't played with an Xbox Series X controller yet, so I can't rate it.

1. PS4. It's not quite as good as the Vita d-pad but it's really close.
2. Xbox One. The first genuinely good d-pad on an Xbox controller. Not quite up there with the list of all-time greats, but completely fine to use. Happy to hear that the controller revisions with the Series consoles seem to be even better, though.
3. PS5, and I'm not totally sure that it deserves to be this high. It is definitely not as good as the PS4 controller, but I haven't played enough to be totally sure how much worse it is.
4. 8bitdo SN30 Pro Plus controller. 8bitdo mostly sorted out their d-pad issues with this controller. It's adequate, and I have a moderately high bar for "adequate". For anyone looking to solve the Switch's d-pad problems, this is a good purchase for TV play.
5. Switch Pro controller. Haven't used it much, and won't ever be using it much. D-pad seems like an afterthought.
80. Switch Joy-Con not-d-pad. Good for Tetris, and just awful for anything that needs diagonals (or anything that is improved by having easy access to diagonals). I understand the logic behind using buttons, but as a d-pad substitute, these are utterly inadequate.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Switch Pro Controller's D-pad has been fine for me in 2D platformers like Mario 35, Bloodstained and Monster Boy. A wrong input up/down doesn't cause many issues.

Oct 26, 2017
I actually love the Wii U Pro controller for 2D but unfortunately my 8bitdo stopped working. Works great on PC though. DS4 probably the best of the options, and Switch Pro is not bad. The joycons are absolute bottom tier, what the fuck were they thinking.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Dual shock 4, but not Dual Sense.

Dual Sense dpad is so shit. Series x has a better d pad but the positioning is no good

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I use the PS4 controllers with my RetroPi setup. It is a great controller for old school games.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Who's in here voting Switch (No D-pad) ? Thing is about as useful as remote control menu pad

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I've not used the Series controller yet, but on Xbox when I play a 2D style game (mostly just Ori or Bloodstained ROTN or fighting games) I use the analog sticks just because it's more comfortable for me, but I also don't play many 2D games.

When I play retro games on PC I definitely use my DS4 though, and if I liked more 2d style games I would probably buy those on PS4 as well. PS4 is great because it puts the D-Pad front and center and allows for more fun for older style games