• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Whatever it is, it needs to have mass appeal, be ongoing, free to start, a low mental barrier for conflict, and they must market the hell out of it.

Basically, fortnite, Mario bros, Crash Bandicoot, and Minecraft.

Something like that.

Gears style games, and car racing is great and all, but it's not enough.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of people raise an eyebrow when Sony announces a "another third-person action game", and complain about that being the use of their resources. Ignorant PlayStation detractors have literally made "All Sony games look the same" a meme. Lol.
If you ignore the bitter trolls, I'd argue that's less about Sony making such games and more general decline in Sony's willingness to throw large amounts of money at anything else. As an example, Microsoft are making games like Crackdown, State of Decay, and they Quantum Break was only 2 and a bit years ago. There's no shortage of MS third person titles. But Sony haven't released a non-VR FPS title since Killzone: Shadow Fall. Sony have basically pushed all first person games off to VR and abruptly retired multiple first person series.

FPS games seem to attract a very particular brand of disdain. Microsoft have no FPS games in their current lineup except Halo unless you really stretch and count Sea of Thieves, but the notion of another FPS game from Microsoft makes some people go down this weird "ANOTHER FPS GAME? DON'T YOU KNOW THE FPS GENRE IS 'SATURATED'?" tangent. Some people seem to have a weird problem with first person games and a desire to turn every series into a third person game regardless of whether it suits the game.
Why Banjo Threeie has not yet been put into development is a fucking mystery, and just goes to highlight the evergreen incompetence of Microsoft Studios.
There's zero mystery. Gregg Mayles decides what happens to Banjo. It's his baby, and Rare have control over their own IP. He doesn't want to make another game, and doesn't want another game being made, unless he likes the pitch.
Perfect Dark as a 3rd person action adventure game would work. I do agree about moving it from a FPS and since Halo is the dominate series in that regard.
Your solution to Microsoft's self-induced lack of FPS games is to make even fewer FPS games? Rare wanted to make a third person Perfect Dark spinoff back in the day called Velvet Dark. So it's not unprecedented. But Microsoft have Halo and nothing else. Meanwhile they have Gears of War. Crackdown. State of Decay. They had Quantum Break two years ago. They had PUBG as a timed exclusive for a year, which was primarily a TPS, oh, and they also have Fable which is also third person.

Perfect Dark is nothing like Halo. If Microsoft gained the rights to the Dishonored series, for example, turning Dishonored into a third person series "because Halo" would be silly. We don't know what direction MS are taking Perfect Dark. One hopes that whatever direction they take will be a good one. But Microsoft basing their decisions around Halo and their demented obsession with it is what got them into this mess in the first place. A Perfect Dark game was in development. It mixed Deus Ex and Perfect Dark together. But it died because MS didn't grasp that the kind of people interested in a methodical spy game are not necessarily the same kind of people interested in a game about space marines. Oh, sure there might be some overlap, but there might also be overlap between Age of Empires and Microsoft Flight Simulator. Doesn't mean both shouldn't exist.

Back on the N64, games likes Turok and GoldenEye flourished because they appealed to different audiences. One audience wanted to be a spy. The other audience wanted to blow monster's heads off with a shotgun. The core experiences are completely different.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Cb1Sms6.gif

This. And Fable.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Just resurrect Scalebound. If Sony want their walkietalkie, then throw in an action title would certainly differentiate them. Especially when people seems to like their share of Monster Hunter World and things Platinum makes nowadays

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting games aren't strong enough to be pillars imo.

Fable seems like a good choice.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Fable will be the fourth.

Maybe Crackdown will be the 5th? Don't know what other IP they have now that can fit the bill besides maybe a proper AAA State of Decay.

Nov 28, 2017
It's pretty easy and it's Fable, without a doubt. The IP has a long standing association with the Xbox brand and with enough budget and a studio like Playground, it's only a matter of time that it regained it's position as one of their flagship IP's.

They could also bring the Project Gotham Racing games back and it would serve as another one. And obviously Perfect Dark (do we even know for sure that Initiative's working on this or just flirting with rumors?)

Other smaller IP's like KI, Battletoads etc, won't have that kind of appeal to a huge audience.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Fable, Perfect Dark, Banjo, Conker, Viva Pinata, Killer Instinct, Shadowrun .. MS has a lot of IPs that have so much potential.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Their fourth pillar is Minecraft. As for the fifth pillar, I think Crackdown and Sunset Overdrive offer something unique, and I hope the see more sequels in the future.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping it'd be Sea of Thieves, but, you know.

Definitely fantasy RPG, as they have none right now.

Fable.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Agree with all the suggestions of Fable. An exclusive AAA fantasy RPG would be huge for Xbox (though with Obsidian now in the mix, maybe that base is covered). They need to nail it first time round and produce something to rival Witcher 3 or Horizon, giving them a franchise to build on for 10 years. Get it wrong and the IP will be dead for good.

Kalamour

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping it'd be Sea of Thieves, but, you know.

Definitely fantasy RPG, as they have none right now.

Fable.

I do think Sea of Thieves can grow into a major IP for Microsoft. It is successful and has a lot of potential (more than Banjo imo, and I love Banjo).

Overall, I think Fable is the obvious one, followed by Shadowrun.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I do think Sea of Thieves can grow into a major IP for Microsoft. It is successful and has a lot of potential (more than Banjo imo, and I love Banjo).

Maybe if it had more solo, story focused content (on top of what's already there).
As it is, I don't see it having the mass appeal to be on par with the other three pillars.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It should be Rare honestly, an IP Factory that brings one or two huge games each gen, while allowing to use some of their other ips in smaller projects, kinda like how Nintendo use things like Kirby or Yoshi

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The notion of specific IPs making up their core strategy is what got Microsoft into this bad situation in the first place.

Microsoft shouldn't have 'pillar games'. They aren't Nintendo. They should be aiming for a broad portfolio of varied quality games like Sony, and willing to take risks. Rather than banking on specific IPs holding up the business repeatedly.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fable is coming and Microsoft will be wanting it to become the pillar again, like in the 360 era. Those 360 game bundles with Halo 3 and Forza 2 or Halo 3 and Fable 2? Those were like the representation of what MS was and what MS would be for many years: bold, emergent gameplay in huge franchises. Nothing has changed in that sense, and Fable has got to come back to reclaim its spot. I'm sure next-gen will see many new IPs by Microsoft too which are of course make or break: they could become new pillars or be one hit wonders. Anything can happen.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Once Microsoft started talking about the "three pillars" was basically when they lost me last gen. Endless sequels is just depressing.

I don't want another pillar. I want new entries in series that have been dormant for a long time. Crimson Skies, Mech Assault. Games like that!

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The notion of specific IPs making up their core strategy is what got Microsoft into this bad situation in the first place.

Microsoft shouldn't have 'pillar games'. They aren't Nintendo. They should be aiming for a broad portfolio of varied quality games like Sony, and willing to take risks. Rather than banking on specific IPs holding up the business repeatedly.

I always like the analogy with HBO or Netflix. Game of Thrones makes many people subscribe to HBO, while the other content makes the subscription 'worthwhile' throughout the year. People will subscribe to Gamepass for the big first party hits. But they'll keep subscribed because they can play games like State of Decay, Battletoads or Crackdown. But you need a Halo, Gears or in this case Fable to get people to subscribe.

Oct 27, 2017
They should do something crazy and use one of Rare's old retro IPs and update it to something modern and a serious tone in the vein of the new God of War.

Like Solar Jetman.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fable following Witcher 3 would be amazing. If anyone could pull this off, its Playground Games.

But i would explode if MS & The Initiative re invented Perfect Dark as a 3rd person action espionage, similar to MGS3. My god that would instantly set it to the top of my wanted game next gen, more so then a new Panzer Dragoon RPG or Jet Set Radio Future 2.

Oct 31, 2017
Just make a bunch of good shit and see where the chips fall. If a franchise is quality enough and sells enough to be considered a "pillar," then cool.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Fable would be my main pick, due to it being an action-rpg. Crackdown is my 2nd, with State of Decay 3rd. That could all change depending on what their new studios come up with.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I'd agree with the majority here and say Fable. I don't know about Perfect Dark, they already have 2 shooters as their pillars. A new IP would probably be best, but if we're talking about a pillar, it may take some time to get a new IP to that level.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever Playground is doing with Fable has to be one of the most interesting things happening in the industry right now.

Strong franchise + killer developer = Sky is the limit.