• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Metal Gear Game(s) Do You Consider Essential to Play?

• Metal Gear and/or Metal Gear 2 (MSX)

Votes: 96 8.3%
  • Metal Gear Solid and/or The Twin Snakes

Votes: 977 84.2%
  • Metal Gear Solid 2

Votes: 877 75.6%
  • Metal Gear Solid 3

Votes: 956 82.4%
  • Metal Gear Solid 4

Votes: 542 46.7%
  • Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes and/or The Phantom Pain)

Votes: 390 33.6%
  • Other

Votes: 126 10.9%

• Total voters
Jul 24, 2020
I'll tell you what Kojima himself thinks.

He considers MGS1-3 as sort of its own trilogy.

He thinks newcomers should start with 3 and go to 1 and 2. This is what I did way back in 2005 (I was recommended the series, then purchased the first two to play on my PS2).

My personal opinion is give MGS1 a fair shake (it's very hard in the beginning, but get past that and it's a lot more tolerable). My reasoning is just narrative wise. Some reveals in 3 (which is a prequel) might not land as much.

But I simultaneously think beginning with 3 is perfectly fine. Like I said I did it and well ... I'm a lifelong obsessive Kojima fan at this point.

It's my personal opinion that 3 wraps up the series properly from a thematic standpoint.

As for 4, Peace Walker and 5...

4 is an anomaly gameplay wise and narrative wise. It's kind of a bridge towards later games in terms of core gameplay. Narratively... well, let's just say Kojima wanted to stop making Metal Gear Solid games since 2. So anything added here is IMO supplementary, but fans were complaining about some unexplained phenomena in 2 so he made 4....and uh let's just say the old critiques of Kojima are really indefensible here with MGS4 XD.

Peace Walker and Phantom Pain is Monster Hunter/GTA/Splinter Cell/Management simulator. They have comparably much less story than the first few games. Almost minimalistic unless you listen to optional audiotapes.
Entirely optional narrative wise IMO. Gameplay wise people are somewhat split right down the middle.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (in the HD collection, i believe).
Metal Gear Solid (you've already played).
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (give it another shot, please).
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence.
Ground Zeros.
4, Portable Ops, Peace Walker, and MGSV are all great but highly flawed games. So give them your time if the series really clicks.
The first Metal Gear is completely skippable, but worth a runthhrough with a guide if you want to say you've beat them all.

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
You need a poll with the ability to select multiple options, kubev . This thread is all over the map lol
Haha. I'm tempted to make one, but I feel as though there are too many games in the series for that, and most people aren't differentiating between whether you should play a game or if it's okay to simply WATCH it.

EDIT: I've created a poll. Given the limited number of options I could include, I feel that I've broken the choices down as well as possible to represent the suggestions made in the thread. I feel bad about including an 'Other' option, as it does sound like some of the portable games could stand on their own, but I'm reading the responses and should still get the info I need about them.

Last edited:

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
1-4 and Rising. I don't consider PW and MGSV canon so I just pretend they don't exist.

1 does a good job of introducing players to the world and filling newcomers in, as well as retconning past events so you sort of don't need to play the original 2 if you don't want to.

2 continues the story while expanding the greater scope of the story as well as establishing the overall antagonists, do NOT skip it if you plan on going ahead.

3 goes back to set the stage for the events of the whole series, and it probably won't make immediate sense but what goes on in that game have massive ramifications for later events.

4 is... Divisive. I mean I love it, because I enjoy MGS for the serious heartwrenching stuff juxtaposed with silliness, and MGS4 had plenty of it. I kinda hate most of its gameplay though, with chapter 3 just being mostly abysmal. Still, if you've played up until this point you may as well just see it through for the finale.

Rising is a fun hack and slash with incredible boss fights and a banging soundtrack.

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
1-4 honestly. Peace Walker would be essential if they actually did anything with it in 5. As it stands the story of both is pretty pointless and thus nonessential.

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portable Ops
Peace Walker
GZ
V
Rising

love or hate individual instalments, few can argue that they're all essential, iconic gaming.

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm going to offer some suitable solutions:

Naked Snake Saga: MGS3, Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, MGSV

The above is for those who want to play MGS but aren't a fan of outdated controls and game design. Metal Gear Solid 3 is a brilliant story launch point for new players and as long as you replay the remastered version, while the controls are still ridiculous, the 3D camera mostly makes up for it and simply put Metal Gear Solid 3 MUST be played in my opinion.

Video Game Legacy Saga: MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4 (optional)

This for players who want to play the very best Metal Gear Solid games as long as they can stomach older game design and old controls. It can be a struggle at times playing these in 2020 - but the characters, music, plot, secrets all make it worth it and is a must play for anyone who doesn't want to miss out on video game history. Metal Gear Solid 4 is the weakest game so expect a quality drop off, but it's not as massive as some say, and at the same time gives the story a sense of finality and closure, but if you dont care about that, only the first three.
This actually makes a lot of sense. Maybe I should try the first solution you mentioned first, as I've played Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain (though not all the way through in the case of the latter), and I do find Big Boss' "story" (or what little there is of a story, anyway) more interesting than the stuff that happens to Snake or is referenced in the original Metal Gear Solid. Plus, this would allow me to at least temporarily bypass the control issues I have with MGS2, and I can always force myself to get through MGS2 at a later date if I absolutely feel the need to experience it firsthand. With that in mind, I'll not spoil MGS2 for myself just yet by watching Metal Gear Scanlon 2. I think I'll just jump right to MGS3 for now.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching Metal Gear Scanlon on Giant Bomb recently, and it rekindled my interest in the Metal Gear series. I only watched the first Metal Gear Scanlon, as I've played through the original Metal Gear Solid. Thing is, I'm torn as to how to proceed with playing the other installments in the series, so I'm curious as to which games in the series Metal Gear fans consider to be ESSENTIAL TO PLAY versus which installments are completely skippable or okay to experience via Let's Plays.

For context, I tried playing Metal Gear Solid 2 through the HD Collection available through Back Compat on Xbox One X, and I honestly can't get past how archaic the controls are. I'm kind of tempted to just watch Metal Gear Scanlon 2 and consider that my experience with MGS2, but I also realize that some portable installments may have similarly odd controls that could serve as a barrier to entry for me.

Currently, I own Metal Gear Solid as a PS one Classic, and I own the aforementioned HD Collection, so I have access to MGS2 and MSG3 already. I still need to pick up MSG4, but I'm torn between picking it up by itself or getting the Legacy Collection for PlayStation 3 (which would allow me to play the MSX installments in the series and Peace Walker).

Anyway, which installments in the Metal Gear series do you consider absolutely essential to play, and which ones could be relegated to skipping or watching Let's Plays?

If you're having trouble with the controls in MGS2, you're probably going to have trouble with the controls in MGS3. There weren't any major changes. Your best bets are probably Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain. They both control wonderfully and give you a ton of options. MGS4 is kinda in between. I haven't played Peace Walker.

Nov 1, 2017
1-4 tell a complete story. Whether you're a fan of how it ends is a question, but there's a definitive ending.

Peace Walker is excellent and MGSV makes little sense without it.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
MGS 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes.

The world is only barren if you're looking at it from the perspective of traditional open-world structure.

The "world" of MGSV is less about being a vector for side missions, towns, and NPCs and acts more as an open canvas designed to allow the player incredible freedom in approaching its missions.

That "canvas" is paper thin at best. You play one mission, you've played them all. MSGV is crappy, open world, hitman 2016.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yup 1 to 4 as other have said. Some of the best games ever right there.

MGSV is good to just mess around in.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
1-3 is all you need to know.

4 is the conclusion to the story told in 1 and 2, but it's extremely flawed and the sheer amount of asspulls can be quite jarring.

Peace Walker and 5 are awful from a narrative standpoint and try to develop a point that was already pretty well-defined at the end of 3. I'd even argue they do the main character a disservice and only exist to add convolution and stupidity where none was needed.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Play Metal Gear Solid 1 to 4 and you can ignore the rest. What I like about the those game is their pacing. They go straight the the point and you can enjoy them in a similar manner as summer over the top blockbuster movies. In the other games, they introduced base management, recruitment and a lot of padding to the games which in my opinion completely ruined them.

Also some people will shit on 4 but most of those people went straight to it or played little of the previous game. 4 is the ultimate fan service (good sense of the term not titties lol) and send off for the series. In order to enjoy it you have to be invested in the previous 3 games. DO NOT play 4 if you have not played the previous games, you will not enjoy it

If you have the slightest interest in tactical games, play the Acid spinoffs on PSP. They are amazing

Edit: Please don't play Twin Snake as your first entry. It's best played after the original version as it's more of a "If Snake was Neo in the MGS world"

Last edited:

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
MGS 1-4
I know people have issues with MGS4 but it's definitely essential. It's the grand finale of the characters and plot lines of the series and however stupid it can get you need to play through and experience it properly. I have really fond memories of it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
1 (PS1), 2 (HD), 3 (HD or 3DS), Twin Snakes (to get used to the voice acting change), 4, Peace Walker (HD), Revengeance, Ground Zeroes, The Phantom Pain

The first two games are fun but most of the essential stuff is covered in the Solid games and there's even a fair bit of content that's outright contradictory (I'm pretty sure Metal Gear 2 takes place after the oil crisis was solved with a magical new source of energy called OILIX or something).

The ones I listed are all fun to play, at the very least, and it's enjoyable to be critical of the later story misgivings.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
1-4, with a little bit of reading to know what happened in MG 1 and 2.

Personally I played 3,1,2,4 and loved it

The others have there own postitives and negatives but play the essential 4 first

Oct 27, 2017
1-3 are classics and a must play. Skip Twin Snakes as it sucks.

4 if you still want a final closure for the series. MGS5 if you just want great gameplay.

If you want something completely different from the series definetly play MG Rising as it is one of the best in the series.

Edit: Forgot about Ghost Babel and Metal Gear Acid. GB is a gameboy game and isn't canon but it has great story. Acid series are their own universe with interesting stories but the main draw is the card based strategy gameplay.

Last edited:

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
1, 2, 3
That's it. I don't think 4 is needed as much as people are saying. If it was, Kojima wouldn't have started work on a prequel after 2.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
MGS1 is a masterpiece, full stop.

MGS2 and 3 are great but have some flaws regarding Kojima's excesses at times.

MGS4 is a beautiful mess that hasn't aged all that well but is worth playing as a conclusion to the series.

MGS5 is the worst game in the series despite maybe having the tightest core stealth gameplay mechanics of any of them, but I say avoid it. It adds NOTHING to the overarching MGS universe of value. One of the most disappointing games I've ever played in my entire life, easily.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Always skip MGS2, easily the worst in the series with no added value whatsoever. MGS1, 3, 4, and Peace Walker are essential. MGS5 for the brilliant gameplay, not so much for the story.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Glad to see that the two REALLY essential games are leading in the poll. ;)

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
MGS 1/TS, 2 and 3. I didn't mind 4 but it was a step down from it's predecessors. 5 was just terrible and I didn't even bother finishing it, it's the BOTW of the MGS series.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
MGS1
MGS2
MGS3

Glad to see that the three games are by far the most relevant titles in the saga according to the poll. If you skip everything else, you don't miss that much. If you have to play another one, try Peace Walker (the actual MGS5) or Ground Zeroes for a taste of the only real Metal Gear released this generation, but preferably only if you have experienced the 3 main titles.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
All of them, really. Even though I see 1-4 and PW-TPP as a different kind of thing.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I only really love MGS1 (Original), MGS2 (just the boat chapter) and MGS3. I guess the early middle east parts of MGS4 were cool too. Rising was really awesome too but I don't know if it counts here.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
1 through 5 and Peace Walker, honestly.

4 and 5 are divisive games but they are the narrative and thematic conclusions, respectively. Not playing them doesn't give you the "essential" experience imo

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
If you're stuck at the controls of MGS2, I'd say you're shit out of luck when it comes to both that and the first one.
I played both 1 and 2 back to back not that long ago, and in my humble opinion MGS 1 has a lot simpler controls. Had no trouble playing through MGS 1, had a whole lot of trouble while playing MGS 2.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
if you can only play one of them? 3 stands alone so well

if you can play 1 + 2 as well do that first, 2 is my favorite

if youve played 1-3 and u want more MG2 and MGS4 are really interesting and cool

also id recommend ghost babel

other mgs games are skippable imo

XodiousBlack

Aug 16, 2018
1-4 for sure, you play metal gear for the incredible story and characters. People like 5's gameplay but I found what little story that was there awful. Portable games offer some fun stories but I personally don't find them worth it. Rising is supposedly fun but from what I've seen doesn't seem to have the same feel as the main stream MG games.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
3 is by far my favorite metal gear solid game and 2 is a close second.