• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Either X4 or X6 for me, probably leaning towards X6. The soundtrack for MMZ1 is driving me crazy so far. So repetitive and bland, I hope it improves as I play more of the series.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
X6's music should be a crime, a game like that doesn't deserve that soundtrack. It probably has my favorite boss theme out of the entire series.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
MM2, MM3 and MMX

Snake Man's theme is LIT.

And, you know OP, you're right - MMX6's soundtrack is fucking great. It's far better than the game itself!

EDIT: Also, a shoutout to the *very* underrated Megaman 7 soundtrack. The compositions are top notch but the soundfont used kinda lets them down.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Warms my heart to see all the love for X6's music, messy as the game itself is. If anyone wants a fun way to kill time, try sniffing out stylistic similarities between it and Naoto Tanaka's next game, Ace Attorney 2.

The soundtrack for MMZ1 is driving me crazy so far. So repetitive and bland, I hope it improves as I play more of the series.
Z2-4's soundtracks are all about 50% larger by sheer track count, on top of having generally stronger compositions.

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man 2 has the two most iconic songs of the entire series.

I don't even have to post them here because you can already play them in your head.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
By the way...

This is low key my favorite track in the entire Mega Man franchise. It's symbolic of so much to me. Zero saving X and encouraging him to keep going and get stronger, and even sacrificing his life to allow X to continue on. Friendship, sacrifice, tragedy, honor, nobility - it has it all.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I would have to go with megaman 4

I love Cossack 1 in particular:

For fave track ever....hard to choose between the MM2 theme & MM3 ending:

You might appreciate this.

Probably close to a decade ago, I came across a youtube guitar player that did a few really awesome megaman covers. Cossack Stage was one of them. His stuff has long since been deleted, but I still have the MP3 files.

Check this out:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Mega
Man
III

(all the ones from the SNES sound chip sound weird. and the PSX ones sound bad too. )

Mar 30, 2019
I can't believe I missed all this. X1 overall is my favorite. Armored Armadillo is my favorite track and maybe I will list off my top 10 tomorrow. Unless I forget.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
9, 6, and 2 in that order.

6 might just be nostalgia talking since it's my first mega man game. I do think it's great regardless.

And I gotta give a shout out to the Wily Stage 1 theme from 10. So good.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
For me, it's Mega Man 3. Everything about that soundtrack is perfect, here's some of favorites

While Mega Man 2 is my favorite of the NES games, Mega Man 3 has the better soundtrack.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
9. I love Splash Woman's theme, favorite theme in the whole series which is saying something because all Mega Man songs are fantastic.

Vandova

Feb 14, 2018
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who things Network Transmission's OST is amazing. That's my pick.
I also like Command Mission as well.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
A lot great choices.

IMO, I got to give it to MM 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, Mega Man & Bass, MM Soccer, 9, MMX, MMX2, MMX4, some tracks in MMX5, MMX6, & MMX8.

Last edited:

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
It's X1 pretty easily. Might be the best soundtrack in the entire franchise tbh
By the way...

This is low key my favorite track in the entire Mega Man franchise. It's symbolic of so much to me. Zero saving X and encouraging him to keep going and get stronger, and even sacrificing his life to allow X to continue on. Friendship, sacrifice, tragedy, honor, nobility - it has it all.

Great track, one of the best for sure.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has opened my eyes to X6's soundtrack. I thought all the post-SNES games in the X series were mainly buttrock.

Not sure if it's my favorite, but another 6 that has an excellent soundtrack is BN6. It's incredible what they managed to squeeze out of the GBA. I don't know of another game on the platform outside of the BN series that can compare. All the tracks are so lush, and very reminiscent of the NES and GB games, which to me was the golden age of videogame music.

Be sure to listen with headphones, as god intended.

www.youtube.com

Mega Man Battle Network 6 OST - T08: Blast Speed (Rob. Ctrl. Comp - BlastMan's Stage)

Track 08of Mega Man Battle Network 6's Soundtrack.

www.youtube.com

Mega Man Battle Network 6 OST - T03: Central Town

Track 03of Mega Man Battle Network 6's Soundtrack.

www.youtube.com

Mega Man Battle Network 6 OST - T11: Battle Field (Battle Theme)

Track 11of Mega Man Battle Network 6's Soundtrack.

www.youtube.com

Mega Man Battle Network 6 OST - T15: Tree of Judgement (JudgeTree Comp - JudgeMan's Stage)

Track 15of Mega Man Battle Network 6's Soundtrack.

www.youtube.com

Mega Man Battle Network 6 OST - T18: Digital Strider (Internet Theme)

Track 18of Mega Man Battle Network 6's Soundtrack.

www.youtube.com

Mega Man Battle Network 6 OST - T21: Break the Storm (Mr. Weather Comp - ElementMan's Stage)

Track 21of Mega Man Battle Network 6's Soundtrack.

I could keep going all day. Really hope we get a remastered OST release of this, alongside a BN collection.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Not enough love for the Legends series in this thread...

Though I prefer the more nostalgic/homey vibes of Apple market and Flutter

(RIP Legends 3)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man X

In that order.

MM2 is an absolute, verifiable, video game music classic and staple and basically can't be topped. Every tune is iconic.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
You've already posted it, opening stage song blown my mind when I was a kid, even more than playing X4 for the first time. Not to mention this stage.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
here's a shoutout to Megaman X7's credits theme.

Shit game, awesome song.

instrumental version:

vocal version:

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man 2 and 4 are classics, Mega Man 3 is my all time favorite. Proto Man's Theme is one of the great NES songs in my book.

And one of my favorite concert experiences was seeing Chromelodeon cover a MM3 song year ago. They played this at Magfest and it blew my mind. Check it out:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
This thread inspired me to listen more closely to the X soundtracks. They're all on Spotify btw which is awesome.

My hot takes so far are that X5 and X8 are pretty awful, outside of a couple tracks (shout out to X5's credits song). X7 and especially X6 by contrast have pretty great soundtracks in spite of being such shit games. That sort of wasted potential makes me sad.

Next up, digging into 1-4. I played the shiiiit out of 1 and 4 when I was a kid but am less familiar with 2 and 3 despite beating them.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I can't pick anything other than Mega Man 2. Almost every song in the game is fantastic and memorable to me.

But really, it's an unfair question, because the music in almost every game & spinoff is, at least, great.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
tbh it's probably because of the time gap between releases, the HYPE at relase, and chiptune was a hot new thing then... but MM9 OST just absolutely floored me.

not many outright bangers but you could tell they were really excited to compose within those limited parameters and churned out a bunch of great stuff

honarable/underrated shout out to MM5. another soundtrack with ambition, which is saying a lot as the game is billed as one of the more phoned in entries

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Literally an impossible choice. Mega Man 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, IV, V, X, X4, X6, ZX, Battle Network 2, BN 3, and BN 5 are all serious contenders here, not to mention other soundtracks I might be forgetting. I'll try to follow up later with some individual favorite tracks.

I guess I'd say my top-of-the-top-tier Mega Man soundtracks are 5, X, X4, and BN 3, though (not necessarily in that order).

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
X1 by a pretty good margin. The Intro stage, Storm Eagle, Spark Mandrill, Boomer Kuwanger, Armored Armadillo, the damn pre-stage boss introduction. It's not even fair.

9 is next

Then I'm between X3/X4 for the third spot.