• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which has the better gameplay?

• Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

Votes: 193 68.4%
  • Marvel vs Capcom Infinite

Votes: 89 31.6%

• Total voters

El Sabroso

Oct 25, 2017
Monterrey, MX
Infinite damage scaling was too bad, when learning it at launch, I was seeing that no matter how each combo I was making was almost on par on damage as just doing the magic series version at a same cost of bar, where in UMvC3 damage scaling did matter a lot when optimizing damage over just the simple variation of strings and difficulty varied to due to hitstun decay of those hard hits. So for new / mid level players, damage scaling was counter intuitive against learning more things when setting your go to combos. Also on that matter, the fact that the counter switch was too cheap to get, speaking of hyper combo cost, was another thing that was frustrating and limited which type of attacks where in the meta, it was a limiting factor where UMvC3 represented more freedom at the simple cost of execution.

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the three person teams and assist combinations of UMvC3 way more. Preferred the simpler ABC-buttons for attack, with a universal launcher. Roster also plays into as there were more characters that fit my style.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually prefer 2 on 2 as I'm a fan of the original MvC. But having said that I would still choose UMvC3 over Infinite. Its the better game, with better gameplay and presentation.

Infinite was just a train wreck. I don't know if the series is dead because Marvel is hot right now but this game didn't do the franchise a favor.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Im in the minority who absolutely loved Infinite.
It's just sad that the gameplay was the only thing that I actually preferd in infinite over Umvc3, as 3 still has the superior roster, graphics, single player content and music.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
UMvC3 and MvCI have some bad systemic issues that make it hard for me to really vote one over the other. Like it's really a choice between which is worse: UMvC3 revolving around X-Factor or MvCI revolving around the Infinity Stones.

However, a new game would ideally take the best of both, and I'd personally lean more towards Infinite, if only because I really think the Active Tag system has a lot of potential to be built up better. The earlier comments on Power Rangers's assist system sound like a good direction to turn towards.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer MvC3 (I actually prefer vanilla just because UMvC3 nerfed my entire team super hard lol), but there are some things i love about Infinite. The tag team mechanics are so much more fun, and I feel like 2v2 with more active switching a la Tekken Tag is way more fun than the 3v3, point middle anchor setup, as it gives you way more freedom with a team. I never got super into Infinite in terms oc competitive stuff, but it never seemed like you had like a handful of characters in a certain position which made a lot of the others irrelevant. Like, I know some characters were clearly better than others, but I don't remember there being stuff like every team in DBFZ having SSJ Vegeta solely for that assist.
I do think BBxTag nailed how I want 2v2 fighters to play though, or at least it certainly made me realise I much prefer that format.

Outside of the roster choice and infinity stones, the main problem I had with infinite was that LMHS is the perfect layout for Marvel.

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
mvci is a trash fire of a game that is lifted by really truly talented players in spite of it's mechanics. i can't deny the place that folks like dual kevin, stealth and cja have brought the game as being interesting.

mvc3 is a trash fire of a game that is lifted by it's fluid mechanics and diverse character tool expression to the point of where players bring the game to a truly observably unique and exciting level (until the homogeny of zero and morrigan matches come into effect)

the mvci system makes the cast extremely homogenuous in nature when it comes to gameplans and neutral interactions, ultimately

that on top of the limited movement and pathetically sad ground game makes mvci drastically inferior

it is not a game where players can express themselves, but it is a bait game for bads who have issues with mvc3's design to mash on and pretend they "get it"

the confusion between the inherent difference in nature between what active tag and assists are really highlights this aspect. they're fundamentally different despite mechanically being similar at a very very surface level. even the most basic fundamental marvel 3 interaction highlights this

what im saying is marvel 3 is a patch from being perfect while mvci is probably a few patches from being close to ult. marvel 3 as is. they both have their strengths and mvci is certainly an interesting experiment but there is a very good reason why most marvel 3 players tried infinite for a moment and dropped it despite the memeing of "it plays great but looks bad so nobody picked it up"

marvel 3 is a game people go back to because of how good it feels at that design level - mvci isn't.

Lunir

May 17, 2018
Mexico
The poll id heavily influeced by graphics, when OTP clearly stated gameplay.

It's so difficult because both were very different, as we could have both series side by side because of the differences in gameplay.

I played both A LOT, MVCI is way better with it's tag system and gameplay variety. 3v3 totally broke MvC since 2, some characters have a lot of power and it's very unbalanced.

Although... I'll say that the best tag crossover fighting game is Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and a lot of it was used on Infinite.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I strongly believe if the gameplay in Infinite was so great, the FGC would still be playing it.

we don't give 2 shits about sales

in the end, all the constant tagging and infinity stones and lack of assists was shitty to play and shitty to watch

meanwhile, a broken ass game like Marvel 3 (and Marvel 2) lived long, exciting lives because there's something inherently fun about the movement, the combo system and 3v3 with traditional assists

MVC3 wins mainly because movement is SO good in that game. Best movement in a FG. Infinite neutered it to death. Plink dashing feels incredible in 3, something no other FG has been able to get half as good IMO.

mmmmmmmmm smooth like butter

Oct 27, 2017
I strongly believe if the gameplay in Infinite was so great, the FGC would still be playing it.

we don't give 2 shits about sales

in the end, all the constant tagging and infinity stones and lack of assists was shitty to play and shitty to watch

meanwhile, a broken ass game like Marvel 3 (and Marvel 2) lived long, exciting lives because there's something inherently fun about the movement, the combo system and 3v3 with traditional assists

Yeah Marvel 2 was released into a dying arcade scene and ported to a dying console at a time when Marvel's popularity was at an all time low and the FGC basically willed it into eventually becoming a successful game.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I'd rather play MvC2 than either of those, TBH.

It's hard to pick between them because there are things I like and don't like about both of them.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to troll, but honestly I have to say TvC even though it's not an option. I just didn't ever click with MvC3 gameplay (x factor is fucking awful, projectile spam is off the charts), and I don't like the very central Infinity stone gimmick in Infinite.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Marvel 2 was released into a dying arcade scene and ported to a dying console at a time when Marvel's popularity was at an all time low and the FGC basically willed it into eventually becoming a successful game.

Exactly! The excuses people make are bullshit. The game looking like trash and not having any X-Men obviously didn't do it any favors, but if it was some secret great game, the Marvel community is THE community that would have stuck with it for years and years. Instead...

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know Max for example, loves Infinite's gameplay more, but I vastly prefer Marvel 3, with 3 v 3 with assists.

Also LMHS > LP/HP, LK/HK.

And I'll take xfactor over being placed in a stupid box and not able to move anyday.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
Infinite, easily. I've always preferred MvC2 button layout, and the fact that gives characters a bit more when it comes to their moveset. The freedom with assist in the game is damn good, especially with the creativity in combos due to it. The stones weren't bad, I enjoyed them, it made teams a lot more different just due to different stones, say there's a mirror match both the two prefer different stones, that added in variety on it's own.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I think I liked Infinite a little better. If there were a wish I could have fulfilled, its that the stones could be tailored a little more to the wielders themselves like the original game. All I could do is dream about what could have been. Virgil would be even more insane with an infinity stone

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Infinite was just too... sane.

Don't get me wrong, it plays decently, and the characters most certainly have the Mahvel BS that everyone loves or loves to hate.

But it's just not MAHVEL enough. If it isn't visual overload and a screen full of death, then why even bother calling it Marvel vs. Capcom? Big moves, big combos, big everything. Mahvel is a 3 on 3 spectacle fighter, which UMvC3 definitely is. MVCI is more like a souped up Street Fighter with a fairly neat tag mechanic.

It gets more TOD-like as the game progressed on, and I see some combos not doing 6000 like every single combo did for the first 5 months. It just wasn't engaging enough for me to keep playing past the first two months where literally every team was Dante + Reality Stone.

Post-nerf, every team ran Space or Soul, which just felt super gimmicky and somehow less fun than UMVC3 having Doom and every team.

Also, have you ever tried hit confirming in UMVC3? It's the best feeling ever getting a crazy air confirm into full combo.

God I miss Magneto so much. Most fun fighting game character ever. I eventually dropped both MVCI and DBFZ because nothing in those games compare to how good playing Magneto feels.

Last edited:

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
While Infinite had more varied and technical gameplay, even with the mind/soul stone gimmicks, I much peferred UMvC3 for 3v3 alone.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Gotta give it to UMVC3. It was broken as hell, yes but...it made sense. The game just feel like it had some kind of balance between all the aspects of the game that were broken already. Something like when Mr Burns had so many diseases that all of them were in perfect sync

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Gems + 2v2 + the constant freezes every time a player takes an action drag MVCI way down for me.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
MvCI let the characters that I liked in MVC3 that felt really bad or undertuned get a second chance at life and gave me a handful of dream picks like Sigma and Venom with a more functional version of his original kit. Tag system is absolutely my kind of chaos compared to MvC3's really oppressive assists and it just encourages completely different ways of thinking that I would never approach in the other games I play. Stones I could take or leave but honestly getting to play Nemesis, Ghost Rider, Chun, and Spider-Man in MvCI without feeling like a total uphill battle really left me wanting more

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
UMVC3 for sure is going to take this, as many immediately dismissed MVCI due to crappy roster and visuals. However, the launch state of MVCI was about as good as vanilla MVC3...it clearly had some big issues. The November '17 patch fixed a lot of things, while nerfing the hell out of some characters/system mechanics, it didn't destroy them. It was quite a good patch, but many didn't bother waiting around for it.

If we took the movement and roster of MVC3, with the team mechanics of MVCI, removed Stones, added 3v3 tag-all-the-time and put limitations on 'Super-Tag-Mix' that sort of plagues MVCI...it would be the god game.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Exactly! The excuses people make are bullshit. The game looking like trash and not having any X-Men obviously didn't do it any favors, but if it was some secret great game, the Marvel community is THE community that would have stuck with it for years and years. Instead...

People are still playing it though.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
1 is the best

U3
infinite (Would be higher if the roster was better or even just a second round of DLC)

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
MvCI does have pretty fantastic gameplay. By comparison, I almost always feel like I "got to play" thanks to the bigger health bars/less damage and the tag breaker mechanic, where a match in UMvC3 can be over in 10 seconds. I also fairly enjoyed the infinity stones gimmick, even if some aren't that good.

At the end of the day though, UMvC3 gameplay is what I prefer. I sorely missed 3v3/assists, and the projectile reflecting in MvCI really dampers keepaway. Shorter games overall is not a negative for me.

ChrizzSTARR

Avenger
Jan 7, 2018
There was nothing wrong with UMvC3 that could not have been addressed by patches. Increase scaling so that no characters can't kill off one hit, remove TAC infinites, buff/nerf a few characters and the game would still be played to this day.

MvCI would need an adjustment to the physics, more characters and it would not be the same game once it's to a point that I would consider amazing.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I played a lot of vanilla MvC3 and I really enjoyed it and liked doing combos, but I sold it and didn't buy Ultimate. Then I tried very little of the MvCi online vs. demo but had no opinion one way or the other, so... I won't vote.

However, I think MvCi's combat system looks way cooler than UMvC3's with how freely you can take advantage of active-tag scenarios. Not sure I'm a fan of the infinity stones, though. Would rather they just did assists like MvC1 if they needed that extra gameplay element. I also would have preferred UMvC3's button layout.

Last edited:

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
UMVC3 for sure is going to take this, as many immediately dismissed MVCI due to crappy roster and visuals. However, the launch state of MVCI was about as good as vanilla MVC3...it clearly had some big issues. The November '17 patch fixed a lot of things, while nerfing the hell out of some characters/system mechanics, it didn't destroy them. It was quite a good patch, but many didn't bother waiting around for it.

If we took the movement and roster of MVC3, with the team mechanics of MVCI, removed Stones, added 3v3 tag-all-the-time and put limitations on 'Super-Tag-Mix' that sort of plagues MVCI...it would be the god game.
Oh man, that sounds like the dream figthting game. Have all of that with an Arc-Sys coat of paint and its the fighting game of forever.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

"3v3 tag-all-the-time" is the best suggestion.