• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should be the next Mario sports game?

• Mario Strikers (Soccer/fútbol)

Votes: 192 45.2%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 110 25.9%
  • Mario Hoops (Basketball)

Votes: 29 6.8%
  • Mario Baseball

Votes: 30 7.1%
  • Mario American Football

Votes: 29 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 35 8.2%

• Total voters

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
If the golf game has a decent RPG/adventure mode, it's an auto-buy for me.

I'd probably try out the soccer game too, if people said it's great.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
turn that horse racing thing from the last mario sports 3ds game into its own game

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
turn that horse racing thing from the last mario sports 3ds game into its own game
giphyt1j91.gif

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
3ec6780d8d85d8c4906c1383be909aab.png
1528456306-3716891741.jpg

I'm into these games for the art, animations, character representation and random dialogue we don't get on the mainline, so bring me more like these two.
The next one we are getting is Mario and Sonic, though. I love how they are bringing new clothes for these titles ever since Mario Tennis Aces came out. Hopefully it'll have music as good as Rio.

maxresdefault.jpg

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I know how goofy this is but I would love a Mario Skateboarding or Extreme Sports game, something akin to Tony Hawk. Lil' Toad on a BMX with giant ass knee pads.
I was just photoshopping up a picture of this idea. A Mario/ Nintendo skateboarding game that has the platforming and exploration of the original Tony Hawk games and Jet Set Radio-
mario-skate.jpg

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'd love a new Mario Hoops, loved that game on DS. I'd also go for another baseball game.

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that the one game that is good in the Mario Sports series, Golf, isn't on the level of Everybody's Golf in terms of arcade sports games.

Strikers could be okay, but Charged was a mediocre game. Next Level should steal judiciously from SEGA Soccer Slam if they do another one.

Looking at the market, Hockey and American Football badly need arcade sports entries, so one of those would be nice. Basketball could be good too, as Playgrounds doesn't quite scratch my itch for arcade basketball. Baseball would be fine, but I'd rather get a Super Mega Baseball 2 Switch port, tbh.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The goat is Strikers. I desperately need another one but I'll also take a new golf game.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I think I'd be ok if I never saw another Mario Sports game and Nintendo shook it up in a different way if they were gonna tackle sports again.

That said, that Mario Volleyball game Nintendo deemed too violent to finish because of the wrestling elements would be cool to see brought back.

Oct 26, 2017
Very hard pick between Strikers and Baseball since we've not had actual entries since Wii. But Baseball won for me. I've adored both entries and really want to see Bandai Namco and Now Pro make a 3rd finally on Switch. Mario Golf is inevitable but I want to see more variety again. I never want to see any compilation games like Sports Mix and Superstars ever again since you only get bite-sized versions of the sports and they feel... disjointed?

Just pick a damn sport and go all the fuck out! :P

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Hockey

The different size characters lend themselves perfectly to the old NES Ice Hockey Fat/Skinny/Medium (Bowser/Peach/Mario) model and it would be easy to add a bunch of different sticks and skates to represent power-ups and such.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Mario Golf for Switch. I'd say it's likely coming soon, but Camelot still seems focused on cranking out free DLC for Tennis Aces, so who knows if they've actually made any progress on their next full project yet.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is never ever going to happen, but in a similar vein as Camelot's Tennis and Golf RPGs, a Mario Baseball game with a "success mode" life sim RPG/character creator akin to MLB Power Pros would be my ideal Mario Sports game.

OP
OP
Mass Effect

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
OP, you've been lied to. The Mario Baseball sequel on Wii is a solid upgrade. Polished, more characters, 4P tag-team baseball, etc. The motion controls are whatever but you can use a sideways remote for a control scheme like the GameCube game.

It has my vote, great games.

Really? I thought it was a downgrade mechanically? Maybe I have been lied to.

Worth playing?

Where is the option for Aztec handball?

With the Lacrosse option

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Really? I thought it was a downgrade mechanically? Maybe I have been lied to.

Worth playing?

With the Lacrosse option

I'm not sure if there's some nitty-gritty stuff I didn't notice, but as far as I could tell it has every mechanic from the original and some additional stuff. Some of the additional stuff is kind of meh and doesn't work that well with the "classic" sideways wii remote controls, like being able to throw traps on the field as the ball is flying, but otherwise it's polished in some noticeable ways side-by-side. I assume most people who trash it might not even know you can turn off the motion controls, and the sideways remote controls are pretty cramped, but all the mechanics are there. There's some minor QoL stuff like you can turn on a batting reticle in the settings and it helps a lot for casual play without dumbing it down with motion imo, along with the better multiplayer.

Either way, anything worse about it would be pretty subtle once you turn off the motion controls.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
It seems crazy to me that there still hasn't been a Mario Ice Hockey game (though I think there was a mini game in one of those olympic collections right?).

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
I voted golf, but I've liked each one less than the last so I'm scared for a new one. N64 version is still best.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Mario Strikers. Keep the gameplay from Strikers Charged with the super shot from the original.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Strikers is the best one that isn't Golf or Tennis, and Switch can handle 8 Players, so that's my pick

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I'd love a Mario Hockey game. I think there's so much potential for Nintendo to make it super fun, and with such a large cast of characters, you could build a very diverse roster all with their own plus and minuses. Do I think we'll ever see it? Not a chance, but one can dream.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
We're getting a new Mario & Sonic game, so for now, I'm pretty satisfied! I just really, really hope they bring back and double down on Dream Events! .. especially now with SEGA having a separeted official Olympics video game, there's nothing stopping them to put as much focus as possible in the fantasy elements and fanservice of that crossover.

Other than that, my next favorite would be another Mario Sports Mix from Square-Enix; it's absolutely my favorite Mario sports game barring none; Bring all the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest along too.

I wouldn't mind something new as American Football as was suggested

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I played Sluggers the most; I know Strikers had more fans, but I'd be down for a return to the diamond.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thoroughly surprised we never got Mario Football, especially when Chargin' Chuck is a character. There's even a football costume in Odyssey!

But, I don't want Football. I want Mario Strikers. Mario Strikers Charged was a ridiculously fun game. Just no more broken bullshit like Dry Bones and Waluigi's teleport.

I'll only play a new Mario Golf if they bring Plum back. Maybe I'll bend if they bring back mini-golf.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still cant believe that mario strikers is in development. To me its their best sportgame.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Strikers or Hoops are both fine choices

Definitely wouldn't mind an arcade style football (American), either, though.