• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should be the next Mario sports game?

• Mario Strikers (Soccer/fútbol)

Votes: 192 45.2%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 110 25.9%
  • Mario Hoops (Basketball)

Votes: 29 6.8%
  • Mario Baseball

Votes: 30 7.1%
  • Mario American Football

Votes: 29 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 35 8.2%

• Total voters

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
We got Mario Tennis Aces last year for Switch. It's a fun game for sure, and so far the only Mario sports title we have on the system. It's very likely that we will see another one, but what sport should it be next?

Z9psDPU.jpg

Mario Strikers Football

Last one we got was on the Wii. We're long overdue for another. And we could always do with more angry Mario characters. Personally I preferred the more simplistic gameplay of the original, but the Wii version was still an amazing game. The online was pretty frustrating though -- people were way too damn good at the game to the point where you couldn't really play.

giphy.gif

And yes, more Waluigi crotch chops.

mario-golf-world-tour-review.jpg

Mario Golf

This is the one I want the most other than Strikers. The Mario Golf games have always been great and the last one was no exception. World Tour had an amazing tournament system that had you competing against others from around the world. They kept me coming back for months competing in those tourneys. And them being asynchronous was perfect; as long as you finished the course before the end date, you could take as long as you wanted. They also had different types of tournaments: your typical stroke play, handicap tourneys, speed golf, 1 drive - 1 putt, coin tourneys, etc.

Though, to be fair, there wasn't that much to do if you didn't have online access (much like Tennis Aces). Hopefully the sequel will have more single-player content on par (lol) with Toadstool Tour.

teoJkGy.jpg

Mario Hoops (Basketball)

We only have one Mario Basketball game (1.5 if you count NBA Street v3 on the Gamecube) and it released on the DS quite a long time ago. It was pretty fun for what it was. I think a new Mario Basketball game would do pretty well actually.

GRxjUCP.jpg

Mario Baseball

Mario Superstar Baseball was surprisingly well-created. It's probably one of the more underrated Mario sports games out there. I heard the Wii version was a definite step down, though I haven't played it myself. I don't particularly want another Baseball game myself, but I'm sure there are quite a few that would.

6WReRmx.jpg

Mario 'murican Football

It's honestly surprising that we haven't gotten an American Football Mario game. Seems like it would be a slam dunk (wrong sport). I'd like to see this simply because it hasn't happened yet.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a soccer fan at all but I loved Mario Strikers Charged.

Would also be down for basketball.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I miss Mario Golf. I didn't like any other one out of the first one for some reason....

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's been 12 years since Mario Strikers Charged came out.

Why haven't we had a sequel since then?

Someone get Next Level Games on it prompto, delay Luigi's Mansion 3 if need be, I care for a Strikers Sequel much more.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
If they make another Mario Strikers, I will buy a Switch. Super Mario Strikers was the GOAT Mario sports game. It was incredible, and constant fun. I played that thing for hours, and also had tournaments with a guy who lived down the road who also loved it.

The Wii version didn't feel the same, but was still good. The Wii shit they forced into it, and the crappy online, didn't make it better. The GameCube version was still the best.

Remake that or make a new one that's good...please.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I know how goofy this is but I would love a Mario Skateboarding or Extreme Sports game, something akin to Tony Hawk. Lil' Toad on a BMX with giant ass knee pads.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda funny to look back around say 2003 and thinking to myself "man, wouldn't it be great if Mario was in more sports games!".

But to answer your question, I'd be totally down for a more robust Mario Baseball.

Also would be okay with an attempt to make a GOOD Mario basketball game and fix that abomination for the DS.

OP
OP
Mass Effect

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I know how goofy this is but I would love a Mario Skateboarding or Extreme Sports game, something akin to Tony Hawk. Lil' Toad on a BMX with giant ass knee pads.

I'd buy it.

Also, that reminded me that Mario and a few other characters were in the Gamecube version SSX On Tour.

latest

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Mario American Football has never been done before, and I think it would be cute. Probably wouldn't be marketable enough to consider making though...

Oct 25, 2017
Strikers was the king of Mario sports as well as the closest proper successor we've had to the madcap super-powered football of Nintendo World Cup on the NES. It was a void that already needed to be filled before Strikers came along, and it's a void that needs to be filled again now that Strikers is nowhere in sight.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Gridiron Football has been my most wanted Mario Spinoff for a longtime, especially since NCAA Football is long dead now.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Either Strikers or Hoops. I love Basketball followed by football but I'd still pick Strikers over Hoops

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Golf for sure. We haven't had a home console Mario Golf game since the Gamecube somehow.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Strikers is the most fun I've ever had with friends with a sports videogame ever in my life. Fucking loved that short lived series and wish it would come back.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely feel like Strikers is overdue for a new entry. I wouldn't say no to a new Golf or Baseball either though.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
We live in the HD era where we can finally see the lil' soccer players running around the telly

It's time for a Mario Strikers: THIRD STRIKE

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
A Mario basketball game like that monster one of the Master system would be awesome.
Basketball Nightmare, the youtube video says 1989 but i seem to remember playing it in like 1993-ish.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I want this remastered. Probably my favorite sports game ever.

latest

Gameplay was flawless and the soundtrack great

wtl420

Feb 16, 2019
Mario Australian Rules Football, Mario Hockey, or Mario Professional Wrestling please.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
OP, you've been lied to. The Mario Baseball sequel on Wii is a solid upgrade. Polished, more characters, 4P tag-team baseball, etc. The motion controls are whatever but you can use a sideways remote for a control scheme like the GameCube game.

It has my vote, great games.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Mario Strikers is the only correct answer. Didn't like Dark Moon at all, so slightly dissapointed Next Level Games are doing that as opposed to a new one.