• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which major third-party companies do you expect to release next-gen only games within the first year

• Capcom

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • WB Games

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Ubisoft

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Bethesda

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • None (outside of Gearbox with Godfall)

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The title really speaks for itself on this one. With next-gen on the horizon, there are still a ton of owners of the previous systems who may not make the jump right away. With this & Square-Enix's recent announcement of sticking with cross-gen for a while in mind, what other major third-party companies do you expect to start making next-gen only games early on in the PlayStation 5 & Xbox Series X's respective lives? I would do a poll, but there are too many companies one could think of to where a poll would be rather limiting. Maybe I could try to make one once we see the top prevalent options in this thread, but one step at a time.

As for me, I wouldn't be surprised to see Capcom release next-gen exclusive games as soon as next year.

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Not one. No one will be willing to give up the huge PS4/Switch/Xbox One market for a handful of new consoles.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think Capcom will.

EDIT:
Okay I seem to be in quite the minority here, lol.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think Capcom will.
Same, as mentioned in the OP. Though I'd imagine that this would apply to something like Street Fighter VI (if it's indeed coming next year). This is mainly because it'd probably be supported for the duration of the generation, so I doubt that they'd want to be held back by PS4/XB1/Switch hardware for 4+ years. This would also extend to Monster Hunter, but seeing as we literally just got Iceborne, I'd imagine that MH6 won't be for at least another 2 years.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
None, why would they? I don't think they have any real incentive. Sony and MS have more of an incentive since they want to convince people to switch over, 3rd parties don't care as much so I think they'll just want the larger footprint.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
None. Way too risky rn. You're gonna up give 130 million install base plus PC? Shareholders won't allow you.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
None. Way too risky rn. You're gonna up give 130 million install base plus PC? Shareholders won't allow you.

They wouldn't give up PC if they went exclusively next gen. The minimum and recommended specs for those games would just go up. But yea, no major 3rd party dev is giving up the massive install base from the previous gen.

Oct 27, 2017
With Microsoft overtly saying that the Xbox One and Xbox Series X will co-exist and all their games will run on both platforms for at least the first few years, I think pretty much every multiplatform publisher will follow their lead. Sony seem to be drawing a more deliberate line between the PS4 and PS5, so I guess there might be some third parties who only make games for Sony platforms who would commit to next-gen development immediately, but I admit I can't think of any.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Only if they get paid to promote next-gen platforms with their software. Capcom could if Sony moneyhats a PS5 exclusive, so who knows.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Everyone else has posted already but none. The install base on the other two is massive and will continue to grow another 2 or so years, so they would be foolish to give that up.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Only if they get paid to promote next-gen platforms with their software. Capcom could if Sony moneyhats a PS5 exclusive, so who knows.
I feel like the most we'd see as far as first-party companies funding Capcom would be for marketing deals, similar to Microsoft's marketing deal for DMC5. I doubt we'll see a situation like SFVI being PS5 console exclusive like what happened with SFV & PS4.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
None of the major pubs. Year 2 probably won't have as many as people expect either but we'll see how quick the transition goes.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Bethesda will. Everything past Doom Eternal feels like its pretty far off.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Probably none. This generation will be completely different from previous ones. Considering all of current-gen games will be compatible on next-gens by default, a lot of publishers and developers will try to put their games on most of consoles out there.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yea well if we include games like Godfall then already everyone here is wrong because Gearbox are publishing a next gen only title.
Not quite. Title says exclusively in the first year. That's just one game from that publisher.

Gearbox will be publishing games on the PS4 and XB1.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
None. No third party is going to throw away the huge existing PS4/Xbox One base just to cater to the early adopters.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I wonder if Bethesda will. Everything past Doom Eternal feels like its pretty far off.

Bethesda has claimed Starfield can't be run on current-gen, so it's just a matter of when that game releases. BGS games have long legs, so they could launch within that opening year, get a lot of sales from early adopters, get a lot of PC sales, and then continue to grab more sales as new people buy next-gen.

It'll also have been in development for a very long time. Todd's team in Maryland will have been on it since Fallout 4 DLC wrapped up in 2016.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some.

I believe Capcom would jump on that with glee.

Also Starfield is next-gen exclusive and i can totally see them releasing it in 2021.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Bethesda has claimed Starfield can't be run on current-gen, so it's just a matter of when that game releases. BGS games have long legs, so they could launch within that opening year, get a lot of sales from early adopters, get a lot of PC sales, and then continue to grab more sales as new people buy next-gen.

It'll also have been in development for a very long time. Todd's team in Maryland will have been on it since Fallout 4 DLC wrapped up in 2016.
Not sure about it being next gen only. Todd did say he didn't know if it'll release on current gen or next gen, which does imply that it'll release in 2020-2021. He wouldn't say that if Starfield were a 2022 title.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I also think Capcom... Probably because their engine seems next gen ready and their studious are pumping out wiluality content.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
For some reason I also think Capcom... Probably because their engine seems next gen ready and their studious are pumping out wiluality content.
Honestly, outside of anything that would release on the Switch (Mega Man, Ace Attorney, legacy collections, etc.), I can't really see any future projects from Capcom coming to the current-gen systems going into 2021. MAYBE Revelations 3 if it happens, but not much else.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ubisoft. Beyond Good and Evil 2 is likely next gen only now.

I don't see a reality where Beyond Good and Evil 2 launches before 2022.
I do think the Assassins Creed after AC: Ragnarok will be next gen only, and there is a chance that squeaks in barely beneath the one year mark, or they do another 2 year break and wait until 2022.
I think there will be some more "indie" titles by publishers like Annapurna or Devolver that release next gen exclusive titles, maybe THQ Nordic too, but I don't know I'd consider any of them to be "major third parties".

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017

Bethesda is my answer. I think Starfield will be next gen only, and release within the first year.